• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sales-Age Italy: 110.000 PS3s, 4.1 million Ps2s and 3.8 PSOne... still Sonyland?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
During the Sony conference held in Milan about actual HD penetration in Italy, Sony Computer Entertainment Italy's general manager Gaetano Ruvolo, stated that Sony shipped 110.000 PS3s in Italy since March, thus including launch numbers (in early June they released numbers that were at around 70k), with a console/software ratio of 2 games sold per PS3 unit.

They've also released allegedly sales -and not shipped- numbers* for

PlayStation/PSone: 3.8 millions
PlayStation 2: 4.1 millions
(with a target quota of 4.5 millions after Christmas 2007 and to go as up as 5 millions when all is said and done for Sony's last gen console.

*Gaetano Ruvulo is reported to specifically saying "the number of -Playstation brand consoles- that already took place in the living rooms of italian homes [...]".

-
EDIT: I'll make (more) clear that what I wrote below is NOT part of Ruvolo's statements.

PSP: previous statements suggest the number should be now sittin' roughly at 800.000 units.
(for comparison, DS is around/past 1 million, we don't have official figures but only retailers words, the same people stating Gamecube lifetime sales were around 330.000 units, and that Wii is selling at around the same pace as Playstation 3, with X360 in third place).

Hope it's not old, did a search and found nothing, and that it wont go completely unnoticed by people interested in sales thread thanks to this gamevideos' orgy that TGS unleashed.

Yama

I still have an old PlayStation magazine from Italia, my Dad got it for me while he was there visiting family. I'm not sure if it was a rumor or joke, but at the time the PlayStation 2 was two PlayStation consoles stacked on top of eachother. I should go back and find it now since I can read/speak the language. TTP may get a kick out of it too.

Dash Kappei

Metalmurphy said:
Italians are dumb Sony fanboys

fixed.

I qualify only for the Italian and dumb parts though

Yama said:
I'm not sure if it was a rumor or joke, but at the time the PlayStation 2 was two PlayStation consoles stacked on top of eachother.

WHA..?

PkunkFury

shipped 110,00 PS3s, but this doesn't really tell us anything about "still Sonyland" without numbers from the competitors and actual sold numbers.

Darji

Banned
Variable said:
Anyone who would pick up a PS3 before an Xbox360 is dumb.

P.S. Please don't ban me.
why? because people have a PC and dont need a 360?^^

Europe is still Sonyland and it will be very difficult for M$ to change that.

Arsenal

Do you have any source for non-Sony numbers?

Not sure if I can quote the estimates from the "site that shall not be named", but their numbers roughly match up with what Sony quoted. The numbers that Sony didn't mention tell a bit of a different story though :)

It basically shows that the PS3 and 360 are currently doing roughly equal weekly sales. For totals, Wii and PS3 are about even and the 360 is about 100k ahead of them. Wii weekly sales looks like they picked up a bit and are now trending slightly higher than the others. Of course, PS2 is also selling better than the 360 and PS3.

I would like to actually know how many 360's and Wii's are sold in Italy .

Edit: Wow , everbody would like to know the same thing. I also heard it was a very fine race in Italy between all three consoles.

Esperado

Variable said:
Anyone who would pick up a PS3 before an Xbox360 is dumb.

P.S. Please don't ban me.

Interesting analysis. The thing that intrigued me most was your heavy cross examination of the two consoles and the types of people who play them. Your argument is flawless and well supported. I tip my hat to you sir.

Dash Kappei said:
During the Sony conference held in Milan about actual HD penetration in Italy, Sony Computer Entertainment Italy's general manager Gaetano Ruvolo, stated that Sony shipped 110.000 PS3s since March's launch (in early June they released numbers that were at around 70k), with a console/software ratio of 2 games sold per PS3 unit.

"Since launch"---does this include launch? The way it's worded makes it sound like post launch shipments, but I'm not sure. That attach rate is quite low.

Variable

Darji said:

No, because as of right now the exclusive game library is far superior to that of the PS3's.

Darji

Banned
Variable said:
No, because as of right now the exclusive game library is far superior to that of the PS3's.
but this will change in the next 6 months and when you see the PC as platform too there arent many exclusives left.

By the way: Its a matter of taste which games you like and which not so you cant be dumb. You just have a different taste

for comparison, DS is around/past 1 million, we don't have official figures but only retailers words, the same people stating Gamecube lifetime sales were around 330.000 units, and that Wii is selling at around the same pace as Playstation 3, with X360 in third place)
What's the source on this ? Its all so tricky the only official thing we have is Charttrack UK and the 360 outsells the PS3 there 4:1 so i find these reports a bit hard to believe.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Viva Italianoooooooo!!
All I know is that Italian girls >>> American girls!

initiates flame shield!

I keep saying it , just because the Playstation 3 is relevant and in a tight race in some European nations that’s a good thing , great , stop chirping dominance and Sonyz Landz Confirmed ? The tight console race especially with the 360 is much more interesting.

Ninja Kn1ght said:
Based on this statement, I imagine you bought a PS3 before a 360.
:lol

Even though his thought process is overly simplistic I believe 360 is the console of choice for the hardcore gamer. It is anecdotal evidence but I don't know anyone who enjoys games who doesn't own or plans to buy a 360.

Dash Kappei

Arsenal said:
Do you have any source for non-Sony numbers?

Only for the ones that I quoted into the post myself, and those are extrapolated from a John Hader (THQ Italy's President) and Francois Storelli (Ea Italy's general manager) interviews, Gamecube lifetime LTD is taken from the official "for retailer only inside magazine" that I don't remember the name of :)

pooteeweet said:
"Since launch"---does this include launch?
That attach rate is quite low.

Yes and... yes indeed (unfortunately Italy embraces the diabolic temptations of piracy).

Grampasso

Help... Italy calls NeoGAF... I'm being submerged by a sea of Sony fans... please save me! I'm in the dungeon of the cast... err >_>

So, they've shipped 40,000 units in the last 3 months. Also, they're claiming that this is roughly what Wii is shipping/selling in Italy (or was this the OP's inference?)?

Jtrizzy

People have different tastes...by the time Christmas is here I will prefer the Sony lineup. I do wish Bioshock was out for PS3 though.

Dash Kappei

pooteeweet said:
they're claiming that this is roughly what Wii is shipping/selling in Italy (or was this the OP's inference?)?

No, THQ Italy's John Holder and EA Italy's Francois Storelli gave us those figures and comparisons.

sl4sh79

Yama said:
I still have an old PlayStation magazine from Italia, my Dad got it for me while he was there visiting family. I'm not sure if it was a rumor or joke, but at the time the PlayStation 2 was two PlayStation consoles stacked on top of eachother. I should go back and find it now since I can read/speak the language. TTP may get a kick out of it too.

Yeah, that was a joke....

I think it originated from a "clever" ebay auction and obviously was reported by the gaming press (I recall it being especially funny because of the people actually bidding on it..)

sl4sh79

Anyway, Italy is still sonyland, with the only exception being the DS which sells a lot.
The Wii is catching up, but is still mostly seen as a novelty (and party-oriented, which I'd say is true...).

Raistlin

MWS Natural said:
:lol

Even though his thought process is overly simplistic I believe 360 is the console of choice for the hardcore gamer. It is anecdotal evidence but I don't know anyone who enjoys games who doesn't own or plans to buy a 360.

I don't understand this perception.

A true hardcore gamer would end up with all systems.

However, let's say for arguments sake there are some poor hardcore gamers that will only be able to get one system this gen. Given the libraries the PS1 and PS2 amassed, I would think a hardcore gamer would be giving the PS3 a look. The prior Sony systems ended up with a ton of niche and hardcore games.

sl4sh79 said:
Anyway, Italy is still sonyland, with the only exception being the DS which sells a lot.
The Wii is catching up, but is still mostly seen as a novelty (and party-oriented, which I'd say is true...).

I keep seeing this posted, but does shipping 13,000 PS3s a month make Italy Sonyland? I don't know if that's good, bad, or average for Italy as a whole.

Onix said:
A true hardcore gamer would end up with all systems.

However, let's say for arguments sake there are some poor hardcore gamers that will only be able to get one system this gen. Given the libraries the PS1 and PS2 amassed, I would think a hardcore gamer would be giving the PS3 a look. The prior Sony systems ended up with a ton of niche and hardcore games.

That would probably be because the PS31 and 2 were the winning systems of their generation, no?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Moor-Angol said:
It's sad to say but...

PS3 sales will boost as soon as a backup-chip will arrive on the market
Sad but true.

duk said:
53u8dvt.jpg

Walshicus

110,000 units sold in a state with what, 50 million people?

Wait, let's work this out some other way. PS3 has sold 1/40th of the PS2 to date sales in Italy since launch; how does that compare to other markets?

devilscallmedad said:
What's the source on this ? Its all so tricky the only official thing we have is Charttrack UK and the 360 outsells the PS3 there 4:1 so i find these reports a bit hard to believe.
Duh? You do know that Italy and UK are two totally different countries, right?

Too bad we don't have any sold-through numbers and no numbers for Wii/360. Not much we can do with these numbers that way.

Darji said:

I think PAL charts have proven that Europe is still pretty much undecided with a slight favour for the Wii. It sure lost it's status as Sonyland though.

pooteeweet said:
I keep seeing this posted, but does shipping 13,000 PS3s a month make Italy Sonyland? I don't know if that's good, bad, or average for Italy as a whole.
PS2 comes to 14,000 sold per week, PS3 comes to about 4500 shipped per week.

Arsenal

pooteeweet said:

Its way behind the PS2 if that is what your asking.

Top Bottom