• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sales-Age Italy: 110.000 PS3s, 4.1 million Ps2s and 3.8 PSOne... still Sonyland?

devilscallmedad said:
PS2 comes to 14,000 sold per week, PS3 comes to about 4500 shipped per week.

They've shipped 40,000 PS3s in the last 3 months, that's 12.86 weeks, or 3110 units a week. Based on the OP's numbers, unless you have others. Even if they're selling everything they're shipping, which is not happening, I don't get how 3110 units a week makes Italy "Sonyland", unless, of course, Wii and 360 are doing much worse.

pooteeweet said:
They've shipped 40,000 PS3s in the last 3 months, that's 12.86 weeks, or 3110 units a week. Based on the OP's numbers, unless you have others. Even if they're selling everything they're shipping, which is not happening, I don't get how 3110 units a week makes Italy "Sonyland", unless, of course, Wii and 360 are doing much worse.
I was including launch numbers as well, but i agree like all markets the PS3 is selling extremely slow in Italy/Europe as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the Wii is heavily outselling the PS3 in Italy based on these numbers.

sl4sh79

pooteeweet said:
I keep seeing this posted, but does shipping 13,000 PS3s a month make Italy Sonyland? I don't know if that's good, bad, or average for Italy as a whole.

with that, I meant sony as a whole... not PS3s...

PS3 are very expensive here, compared to the average salary

we are still talking about PS2, in term of the leading console...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
pooteeweet said:
"Since launch"---does this include launch? The way it's worded makes it sound like post launch shipments, but I'm not sure. That attach rate is quite low.

Well, another success of software pricing strategy of PS3 and PSP titles in Europe... I guess that having a price premium over Xbox 360 titles and DS titles is really helping respectively PLAYSTATION 3 and PSP as far as software sales are concerned... :(... sigh...

Onix said:
I don't understand this perception.

A true hardcore gamer would end up with all systems.

However, let's say for arguments sake there are some poor hardcore gamers that will only be able to get one system this gen. Given the libraries the PS1 and PS2 amassed, I would think a hardcore gamer would be giving the PS3 a look. The prior Sony systems ended up with a ton of niche and hardcore games.

Anyone who would pick up a PS3 before an Xbox360 is dumb.

Yes a hardcore gamer would get both, which I do have, but I would think you would buy the console with more games before the one with less. Speaking in the context of next gen gaming not anything from the 32-bit era etc. From what I have seen most hardcore gamers just entering the market go 360 ----> PS3 and not the other way around; likely waiting for a PS3 price drop and more games.

wowfactor

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
/in before Europeans are dumb Sony fanboys

I think whoever bought 360 first are dumb because:
1. "Things break"
2. "Pay to play online"
3. "Noisy"
4. "No blu ray" = 4 DVDs
5. "More expensive" if add ounce for ounce to the system

:lol

spwolf

devilscallmedad said:
I was including launch numbers as well, but i agree like all markets the PS3 is selling extremely slow in Italy/Europe as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the Wii is heavily outselling the PS3 in Italy based on these numbers.

according to OP, wii and ps3 sell about the same, with 360 lagging... so Wii selling extremly slow in Italy/Europe? :lol

spwolf said:
according to OP, wii and ps3 sell about the same, with 360 lagging... so Wii selling extremly slow in Italy/Europe? :lol
OP doesn't have a reliable source for numbers except Sony, anytime we get actual numbers be it USA, Canada, UK, Japan, Australia, Germany, Denmark the Wii is always way ahead of other systems. The only thing we can interpret is that the PS3 is selling slow in Italy, wii heavily outselling is speculation from my part.

Panajev2001a said:
Well, another success of software pricing strategy of PS3 and PSP titles in Europe... I guess that having a price premium over Xbox 360 titles and DS titles is really helping respectively PLAYSTATION 3 and PSP as far as software sales are concerned... :(... sigh...
Well the whole 360/PS3 software pricing strategy is a bit too much for my tastes, but Sony really stresses it with 71,95€ for HS, Lair and Folklore. Iirc they stated that first party software would be 60€ rrp.

I too don't think it'll help PS3's cause, but then again there are people who still buy it at that pricepoint. Maybe they believe a lower price wouldn't boost sales that much that it would be benefitial to loose the additional money per copy sold.

Haunted

Thanks, Dash. I would be interested in comparable numbers from 360 and Wii, though. (not that the 360 numbers would be particularly interesting, since I imagine Italy having a similar situation to Germany and Spain, where people are not enamored with the 360 at all.)

Would be nice to have Wii numbers, though. :(

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Haunted One said:
Thanks, Dash. I would be interested in comparable numbers from 360 and Wii, though. (not that the 360 numbers would be particularly interesting, since I imagine Italy having a similar situation to Germany and Spain, where people are not enamored with the 360 at all.)

Would be nice to have Wii numbers, though. :(

I gave the only Wii numbers that I have:
around 80k as of June 1st 2007, when PS3 was at around 70k.
Source (again): Storelli (EA Italy); Holder (THQ Italy).

Not bad IF you consider GameCube's LTD of 330k (source: retailers insider magazine).
Also, we had Wiis readily available since March.

Another fact, for reference, regarding PSP: after price reduction, it sold 50.000 units in May alone (compared to 8k the month before).
But if you go around, DS dominance is pretty clear now with MASSIVE shelves space reserved to Nintendo portable system: only thig preventing DS to reach PS2 level numbers in Italy is software's price (40Euros, almost as much as a PS2/Wii game).

And as for 360's numbers... niente, nada, niet, none :-(

Top Bottom