• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Legacy of Kain: Revenant" or Obsidian Blood/Dead Sun [Square Enix survey rumour]

This story's appearing on a few sites today. Here's the excerpt from Game Revolution.

gamerevolution.com said:
It's been a while since we've seen Kain or Raziel, but a consumer survey may have given up the ghost on a revival of the franchise. Square Enix became the Legacy of Kain publisher after they bought Eidos. Will the series have new life with Deus Ex and Tomb Raider?

Reader daverabbit stumbled over the possibility of a new Legacy of Kain game. He writes:

So I'm part of a website where you get paid to take online surveys and today I took one that asked me what I thought about different possible names for a Legacy of Kain game. Has there been any news about a new game in this series that I have missed or did I stumble across something here?

The four names were Obsidian Blood, Obsidian Sun, Dead Sun, and Revenant. They also asked if the names sounded good alone or tagged with any of the Legacy of Kain/Soul Reaver/Blood Omen names used previously.

Surveys I've taken in the past have had the product later show up on store shelves so I figured I would share this info with you guys.

With E3 2011 right around the corner, you can be sure that Game Revolution will issue any news on the long list of titles Square Enix is bringing to the big show. Check out our E3 2011 tag page for the latest.

Which of the above titles do you think is fitting of the next game in the Legacy of Kain?

The forum post in question is by a member who has been at Game Revolution for over three years. As there is no other evidence to go on, there could be nothing to this. But the quite specific names given are certainly interesting!

After all these years, its probably not going to be a story continuation, ala the cancelled Legacy of Kain: The Dark Prophecy / Blood Omen III. I'd expect that to try and make the series accessible to newer audiences (and not to terrify potential customers away with the insane backstory), they might be looking at a reimagining or distant continuation.

As we literally have no other information, and this rumour may or may not have any basis to it, lets get the excitement flowing anyway with this impressive remake of Raziel by pschoart. Awesome fanart.

042_large.jpg

I still find it hilarious that on Crystal Dynamics' Facebook page, every time they post anything, about their staff, Tomb Raider or even Merry Christmas, two dozen Legacy of Kain fans pile in the comments box demanding a sequel.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, here's what Eidos' teams are doing currently:

Crystal Dynamics:
Team 1: Tomb Raider
Team 2: New IP

IO Interactive:
Team 1: Hitman 5
Team 2: Kane & Lynch 3
Team 3: New IP [This might be a Square Enix listing mistake.]

Eidos Montreal:
Team 1: Deus Ex 3
Team 2: Thi4f
Team 3: New IP

Beautiful Game Studios:
Team 1: Championship Manager (iOS)
Team 2: New IP (Presumably iOS)

Since that's all of Eidos' teams, this would imply that any Legacy Of Kain games must be outsourced.

OMG! That art. HOLY SHIT!!!! I want a new Legacy of Kain game badly, but the dialogue in the new game MUST HOLD UP to its predecessors.

Nirolak said:
Since that's all of Eidos' teams, this would imply that any Legacy Of Kain games must be outsourced.
OUTSOURCE IT TO NAUGHTY DOG!!!!!

Yeah, that's never going to happen, but it would be amazing.

V_Ben

Banned
Nirolak said:
Well, here's what Eidos' teams are doing currently:

Crystal Dynamics:
Team 1: Tomb Raider
Team 2: New IP

IO Interactive:
Team 1: Hitman 5
Team 2: Kane & Lynch 3

Eidos Montreal:
Team 1: Deus Ex 3
Team 2: Thi4f
Team 3: New IP

Beautiful Game Studios:
Team 1: Championship Manager (iOS)

Unless this new LoK game is a reboot. :)

Lumine

I guess I like Revenant best. I'm not getting my hopes up though. Even if they decide to continue with this it probably hasn't even entered planning stages.

jett

D-Member
Only LoK game I've played was Soul Reaver on PS1, I wonder how it holds up today. They should probably reboot the whole thing.

Splatt

I think it's just a matter of time before they ressurect the franchise with a reboot, similiar to the upcoming Tomb Raider game.

I'm just interested in the potential writer, the gameplay was never the highlight of the games for me (which doesn't mean I expect it to be trash).

Geez. I think it's safe to say Eidos is one of the best studios right now if Hitman 5 and Tomb Raider come out pretty well.

Deus Ex is almost guaranteed to be good at the moment. Damn that's a lot of good projects.

And seeing Thief 4 and Deus Ex 3 there....I seriously never thought it would happen.

V_Ben

Banned
Nirolak said:
That wouldn't fit a new IP though. It'd still be an old one.

Eeh, I suppose you're right. I was thinking more along the lines of treating it as a new IP. I wonder what the Guardian of Light team is doing now... Maybe this game is being outsourced like you said, but with input from CD. That seems relatively plausible.

I just want a huge HD collection. At least with SR2, BO2, and Defiance. Not sure I want this story revived without Amy Hennig involved.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Here's Crystal Dynamic's new IP btw.

Crystal Dynamics Job Page said:
Description
Crystal Dynamics is looking for a talented, innovative lead designer on future new IP AAA title console development. We're looking for a candidate who is driven, passionate about making games, willing to take risks, confident that the risk is worth taking and has a solid design background to make it happen. The candidate we're looking for will have current multiplayer, systems and technical experience and excels in highly collaborative, team environments.

Crystal Dynamics is looking for a talented, innovative Lead Designer on future AAA title development for XBox 360 and PS3. We're looking for a candidate who is driven, passionate about making games, willing to take risks, confident that the risk is worth taking and has a solid design background to make it happen. The candidate we're looking for will have game design systems and technical experience and excels in highly collaborative, team environments.

Position Requirements:
•5+ years working on current AAA games on next-gen consoles
•Able to effectively create and lead the r vision and design effort
•Must demonstrate advanced knowledge of current design (systems, ability and technical interface)
•Ability to design maps from written map designs, building 3D rough drafts, participate extensively in playtesting sessions, iterating maps based on feedback and making necessary improvements to those maps
•Ability to work closely and communicate effectively with artists to implement overall vision of those maps
•Ability to create and maintain detailed design documents
Passionate gamer committed to creating high quality product is a must!
Recommended:
•Strong time management skills with a proven ability to focus on priorities and solve problems
•Experience with Maya
•Passionate about games and the innate ability to make games addictively fun
•Ability to collaborate as member of a team and work toward team goals
•Will consider extensive community-map making and substantial modding experience
Source: http://tbe.taleo.net/NA4/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=VAM&cws=3&rid=433

Xater

I will only care if Crystal Dynamics is doing it. Sadly Henning can not write it because she is now with Naughty Dog.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
How come Square Enix is such a fucking mess yet their handling of Eidos has been impeccable? (thus far)
Well, Eidos is still run by Ian Livingstone.

He just has a lot more cash and time to work with now since they're not going bankrupt anymore.

Aru

I hope it's a reboot.
I don't want to play all the games I missed in the series (in fact I only finished Blood Omen).

Lumine

BarrenMind said:
I just want a huge HD collection. At least with SR2, BO2, and Defiance. Not sure I want this story revived without Amy Hennig involved.
Xater said:
I will only care if Crystal Dynamics is doing it. Sadly Henning can not write it because she is now with Naughty Dog.

Honestly after Uncharted's story/writing I'm not so sure this is a bad thing...

Lumine said:

Totally different genres. Uncharted is supposed to be cliched cheesebutt adventure stuff. I'll have to say Hennig is certainly wasting her talent right now though.

The Uncharted games are great but anybody could pump out those stories, I want her back on some legacy of kain stuff

wipeout364

It would probably bomb, I don't think the original games were massive sellers except the first couple. I really like the HD remake idea (sly cooper style) with the 5 games on one disc, they should release that and see what the interest is before ever committing to a new game.

I played all the Raziel games, did not play the Kain game and never played the original (on PS1). That first soul reaver game remade completely would be pretty amazing esecially if they didn't mess with the script or voice acting.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I fixed my IO Interactive listing, since they apparently still have a new IP going.

Seems the third team didn't get entirely laid off.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Lumine said:

Hennig is amazing. Uncharted just further proves that. From creating the epic melodramatic fatalistic sequence of dialogues of Soul Reaver to the blockbuster hollywood glamour of Uncharted. She truly is one of a kind.

wipeout364

Nirolak said:
I fixed my IO Interactive listing, since they apparently still have a new IP going.

Probably a mini ninjas fighting game spin off to compete with MK and SF

Lain

If the rumor became reality, I'd be really happy. Loved and still love the LoK games, and a new one would be great.
I'm not sure I'd like a reboot though, if it came down to that.

Lumine said:

I think Amy's great at whatever she writes, but the Uncharted games are a completely different style, genre and audience than the Legacy of Kain games. They're brilliant in a very different way to LOK.

I suppose that shows how diverse her talent is. Uncharted couldn't be more different to her incredible Legacy of Kain writing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMrou_zJNtc

I still think this is the most beautifully written cutscene (and probably best voice acted) in all of gaming. Kain's desperation to not be the stereotypical "last boss" is intense.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Mama Robotnik said:
I think Amy's great at whatever she writes, but the Uncharted games are a completely different style, genre and audience than the Legacy of Kain games. They're brilliant in a very different way to LOK.

I suppose that shows how diverse her talent is. Uncharted couldn't be more different to her incredible Legacy of Kain writing:

I still think this is the most beautifully written cutscene (and probably best voice acted) in all of gaming. Kain's desperation to not be the stereotypical "last boss" is intense.

I often revisit that on youtube. As well as the pillars scene. Just mindblowing to me.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Lakitu said:
Are they definitely working on Kane & Lynch 3? I thought Dog Days didn't perform well.
Definitely.

Eurogamer said:
That's according to Eidos life president Ian Livingstone, and he should know: he sits on Square Enix's green light committee that decides which games are made and which are scrapped.

"We haven't made any announcements about Kane & Lynch going forward, but we all know that Kane and Lynch are two amazing characters who have a lot of brand equity," Livingstone told Eurogamer in a new interview published today. "People like those guys, so they're not going to disappear."

"Kane & Lynch 2 clearly had a Marmite effect on people," Livingstone added.

"You either loved it or hated it. Some people liked the juddering camera, home video style. Others absolutely hated it. Some loved the characters. Some didn't like the characters.

"But it's artistic, thrill-a-minute instant action stuff. I thought it was a great game, but I can understand people might not have liked it."
Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-12-02-eidos-kane-and-lynch-will-not-disappear

Square Enix also listed it as one of the two highlights for this fiscal year, since they managed to ship 1 million copies.

Nirolak said:

When I visited them in November to talk about the future, they were very explicit about having to cancel the project (a 360 exclusive, not Kinect) and let the team go. So this new thing will be from the ground up new presumably since none of the Team-3 dudes are there anymore.

V_Ben

Banned
Mama Robotnik said:

I... need to play this series. Crikey.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Nirolak said:
That wouldn't fit a new IP though. It'd still be an old one.

While we're at it, we could use a new Anachronox.

Anyone up for letterbombing Square to show there's interest?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Vinterbird said:
When I visited them in November to talk about the future, they were very explicit about having to cancel the project (a 360 exclusive, not Kinect) and let the team go. So this new thing will be from the ground up new presumably since none of the Team-3 dudes are there anymore.
Hmm, very interesting.

Now I'm really wondering what this is:

capture20i15.png

...Unless Square Enix is insane and put the Original IP label on IO Interactive instead of Crystal Dynamics by mistake, which would explain why that is missing...

Actually, yeah, I'm going to assume they did that.

Discotheque said:
Totally different genres. Uncharted is supposed to be cliched cheesebutt adventure stuff. I'll have to say Hennig is certainly wasting her talent right now though.
The Uncharted games are great but anybody could pump out those stories, I want her back on some legacy of kain stuff

For that to happen Square-Enix needs to sell the IP rights to Sony.

Lumine

Hah, I should've known my previous comment would irk some people here. Hey I like the Uncharted games too, but even for a cheesy blockbuster hollywood adventure story (or whatever you want to call it) I still found it very flimsy, cliché, illogical and filled with plotholes, one dimensional characters and constant nonsense. It didn't bother me much, it served its purpose mostly, but I can't give it any credit either. I'm not saying Amy Henning wouldn't be able to step up her writing back to LoK level, but the writing in Uncharted, despite being a different genre, just pales in comparison. Not that any of this matters as we're speculating about a situation that's unlikely to happen anyway. Oh and yes, I realize my own writing sucks too. :p

KAL2006

Banned
I'd really like a Legacy of Kain reboot, never got a chance to play the series on the PS1/PS2, but I always liked the look of the game and heard the story is pretty good. However I don't think I'd go back to play those games as they seem quite outdated now with the ugly graphics and clunky gameplay, but if a new Legacy of Kain came out for current gen consoles, I'd be all over it

duckroll

*Reads title*

WHAT?! OBSIDIAN MAKING A LEGACY OF KAIN RPG?! OMGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!11111

*Reads OP*

......Oh? Oh. Oh!!!

YESSSSS!!!!!!! MAYBE OBSIDIAN IS MAKING A LEGACY OF KAIN RPG AND IT'S SO AWESOME SQUARE ENIX IS EVEN CONSIDERING TO NAME IT AFTER THE DEVELOPER! OMG!!!!!!!!!11111

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
My body has been ready for a new Legacy of Kain for years. Living up to Amy Hennig's writing is going to be extremely tough without her, but I trust CD.

pakkit

Banned
Nirolak said:
While we're at it, we could use a new Anachronox.
Only if they get Loot Drop to develop. I doubt Anachronox will ever turn up, which is a shame since a lot of the sequels elements were already put into place when the team was disassembled.

EDIT: I was waiting for duckroll to show up, haha.

Nosgoth is one of the most beautifully written worlds in any franchise; Kain, Raziel, Moebius and the Elder God are superb characters. The story is one of the few exceptions to the general rule that: “video game stories must be awful.” The first two games were magnificent before the world began to get linear in Soul Reaver 2. As fun as sucking souls and blood was, this is one franchise that feels dead.

At best I would expect a cheap mobile phone game.

Top Bottom