• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun Online (F2P, Browser) Kickstarter [Last Day, 450/500k goal]

wrowa

To avoid confusion: This is not about the recently funded Shadowrun Returns. Shadowrun Online is a F2P multiplayer game that was announced about a year ago, I think. After Returns got successfully kickstarted, the developers apparently would like to have a piece of the cake too.

e9cdb8649acfbe1bc3893bbc33cf545c_large.png

Shadowrun Online is the second Kickstarter video game project set in the unique world of Shadowrun. The first project, Shadowrun Returns, focused primarily on providing a great single player adventure experience, while Shadowrun Online - like the pen & paper version - is all about experiencing the awesome world and gritty atmosphere of Shadowrun together with friends. Fluid co-op gameplay and intense player vs player faction wars set in a persistent and evolving world - this is what Shadowrun Online is about!

And the best part is: In Shadowrun Online the collective actions of players will not only determine the fate of the online game world, but our unique player-driven plotline will enable you to determine the future of the whole Shadowrun Universe! Events players trigger will also cross over into the pen and paper storyline - so you can shape the future of the Shadowrun Universe!

At its core SRO is a full Unity3D online game, accessible through Browsers and Tablets (Windows, Mac, Android, iOS- and Linux if Unity enables us to do it in the future) with high quality graphics and great effects. Highly individualizable characters and a turn based system, which balances fast-paced action with deep tactical combat, make it a true Shadowrun experience.

You'll never walk alone...

Shadowrun Online will be free to play - meaning you can enjoy it on your own, or with friends, as long and as often as you like. You will be able to hire other runners, or play live with a team. Players can band together to try and take over parts of a city, and align themselves with one of the mega corporations (temporarily) in an all-out faction war. The mega's stocks will rise and fall with the collective actions of the players, as they take on missions, alongside or against one another. These changes will be reflected in the official pen and paper timeline of the Shadowrun tabletop game, and we will even produce a campaign book for SR 4th edition!

Why Kickstarter?
While our MMO is extremely modest by the big budget standards of today, it costs far more than a development company of our size is able to afford on our own. Due to the license restraints, it is hard to get traditional publishers interested, and we didn't want to give away creative control over the project, or the ability to shape the game together with you, the fans.

More details and rewards:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1964352341/shadowrun-online

The game sounds quite promising and I would definitely like to see a multiplayer-focused Shadowrun happening, so I'd definitely like to see the kickstarter succeed. But quite honestly, I don't think I'm going to back the project. Backing a F2P game crosses a line for me personally -- especially because I don't think that the reward structures is very appealing. 50$ for 3 meager months of Premium service? I don't know. If I take the risk to kickstart a project, I don't want to need to pay for the final product.

For what it's worth, they promise that you can't simply buy yourself to the top in-game.

Keasar

That does sound like a fun game to play. And I dont know if it was different before but it seems like you get some stuff at the 50 dollar level now but still, only 3 months? A backer at that level should at least get 5-6 months when not paying upright for a finished game (that he knows is good or not) but investing in a currently developed game.

Acosta

I don't think I will support this, I was not very interested on it. More Shadowrun RPG is good to me, but it´s hard to motivate myself when I know is a F2P browser game.

Best of lucks though.

Ok just watched the video. I think the multiplayer aspect of this would be fun and I would/will play it when/if they finish it. But after giving my money to one similar project already, I'll wait and see how this turns out before I give them any money. Showing some gameplay footage might have sold me though and I'm sure they have some by now since they released screens like last year. I wish them luck though. The more Shadowrun the better.

Xater

I think the Shadowrun game I want already got my money. I also have a big problem with funding a F2P game because I know the will try to get more money out of my later on.

Lucifon

Bring back Shadowrun on the 360 :( I know alot of purists disliked it but man that game was so much fun. One of my favourite 360 titles, sunk so many hours into it. The skills and races were so well balanced, it actually required teamwork and there was no nonsense ranking system or anything yet it still stayed incredibly fun. It's a shame that an FPS that really broke the mold was shot down by reviews largely because it lacked a singleplayer.

wrowa

So this is an entirely different Shadowrun project made by entirely different people?

Yes. This one is made by Austrian studio Cliffhanger Productions, Shadowrun Returns by Harebrained Schemes in the US.

There is some kind of collaboration between the two studios to build up a unified Shadowrun community, though.

Xater

I also decided to check out Jagged Alliance Online because he name dropped it in the video. Can't get it to work in Chrome or Safari. Yeah these guys are not getting my money.

Palabrah

Bring back Shadowrun on the 360 :( I know alot of purists disliked it but man that game was so much fun. One of my favourite 360 titles, sunk so many hours into it. The skills and races were so well balanced, it actually required teamwork and there was no nonsense ranking system or anything yet it still stayed incredibly fun. It's a shame that an FPS that really broke the mold was shot down by reviews largely because it lacked a singleplayer.

and the best Pistol *pop* in any game ever.

Jinaar

More of this. F2P of this would be the be all end all FPS for me.

I don't give Kickstarter money to anything I can't own. At least with the other Shadowrun, I can sell all the goodies to get my money back.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Yes. This one is made by Austrian studio Cliffhanger Productions, Shadowrun Returns by Harebrained Schemes in the US.

There is some kind of collaboration between the two studios to build up a unified Shadowrun community, though.

Austrian? If I was patriotic in any way I would throw some money their way, but it's either this or the Steam sale... so...

Looks tasty, looks like something I want, but I'm kind of tapped out on KS and I'm hoping enough others will pick up the slack so it still happens. I feel lame for that, but I am a consumer.

wrowa

Surprsingly enough, after a slow start it's already at 80k by now even though there doesn't seem to be much/any buzz surrounding this project. Odds are that it's going to make it.

EDarkness

The idea sounds a little interesting, but even as a stand alone client, it's just a browser game. That doesn't interest me that much.

Orayn

The idea sounds a little interesting, but even as a stand alone client, it's just a browser game. That doesn't interest me that much.

This really doesn't mean much, considering that some truly great games could easily be run in a browser these days.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I pledged to the first Shadowrun KS because I love the idea of "Blade Runner meets LOTR" in a single player experience.

I'm not interested in MMOs, however, so I'm going to pass on this one.

Booshka

More of this. F2P of this would be the be all end all FPS for me.

I've heard rumors that there are 5 nearly finished maps that FASA were never able to finish and release because they were closed down. I would kickstart a team to finish those maps and release them for the current Shadowrun on 360/PC. It's my favorite game of all time and I've played it for thousands of hours, I would love some more maps, the gameplay is perfect.

EDarkness

This really doesn't mean much, considering that some truly great games could easily be run in a browser these days.

In general browser games run badly, at least those I have tried, and I see no reason to support that style of game. I assume more people think the same thing because their numbers haven't changed much in the last couple of days.

I considered at least supporting them with the bare minimum, but I think that sends the wrong message. This just seems like an idea that isn't very popular with people. Unlike Shadowrun Returns which seemed to resonate better with the fanbase. The idea of an online Shadowrun game is fine, but I'm just not interested in the style they're going with.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Top-down isometric MMO? Tablet focus? "Free to play"?

Ehh.... as much as I like Shadowrun, this doesn't sound appealing at all. I pitched in $100 for Harebrained Schemes version, so I think I'll just stick with that.

When I think of a Shadowrun MMORPG, I think of something more along the lines of Neocron and Anarchy Online but with a budget.

Wiktor

Modern browser games aren't any worse or uglier than modern tablet games to be honest. Altough I understand the sentiment, whenever I see a promisin Kickstarter for a PC game where devs go "also for iPad" I get irrationally dissapointed and start to expect the worst.

Anyway, Cliffhanger's Jagged Alliance Online is pretty good, better than retail JA: Back in Action.

Shadowrun Online I don't mind. Seems like a cool game, especially since we're getting SP cRPG treatement in Shadowrun Returns anyway, so there's really no place for "OMG! MMO!? HOW DARE YOU!!!".

What cocerns me more is that they will do the same to Deadlands, in which case there won't be another SP cRPG to balance it out. It would be nice if instead of making a third online TBS in a row they would turn Deadlands into SP cRPG. Would propably fare far better as KS than Shadowrun Online does.

Tesseract

Banned
every time this thread gets bumped i click it thinking its a kickstarter to reignite the underrated fasa shooter.

*kicks bucket*

:(

tenchir

Less than 63 hours to go and they only over $330k so far. Not sure if they going to make it.

edit: They kinda shot themselves in the foot by making it f2p, so there isn't an incentive to pledge money to them.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
im amazed this didnt hit goal already. Its like the perfect Kickstarter project. i know why i personally didnt back it but i doubt my reasons could be why. Maybe Kickstarter gaming project fatigue?

Honestly people saying this shouldn't be funded and then i see cheetahman 2 is getting more support then this it baffles my mind - I don't mind more shadowrun, the more the better.

Honestly people saying this shouldn't be funded and then i see cheetahman 2 is getting more support then this it baffles my mind - I don't mind more shadowrun, the more the better.

To be fair, the Cheetahmen II thing is only a fraction of the Shadowrun thing. If you rolled what Cheetahmen II has made into this, it still wouldn't be close to the goal.

Top Bottom