• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun Online (F2P, Browser) Kickstarter [Last Day, 450/500k goal]

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Its probably because its F2P and theres not that extra incentive of getting a game at a good price. i could see a sizable surge for this in the last 2 days. Fence sitters not wanting to pay for beta access would have to jump in if they want to see the project hit light of day.

Also Kickstarter failure has to be the absolute worst feeling as an artist.

SparkTR

im amazed this didnt hit goal already. Its like the perfect Kickstarter project. i know why i personally didnt back it but i doubt my reasons could be why. Maybe Kickstarter gaming project fatigue?

I'd chalk it down to saturation. We have Castle Story at 450k, Project Giana at 60k, Defense Grid at 250k and others which have recently ended. Before we only had a one or two big projects with the rest only asking for a few of thousand at most.

mAcOdIn

Its probably because its F2P and theres not that extra incentive of getting a game at a good price.
I think this is a lot of it. A lot of people are treating these projects like pre-orders so since with this one you're not really getting the game, or you'd get the game regardless actually, there's not much incentive to put any money down.

But there's other things too, Jordan was a lot more personable in his videos despite having less to show and there was more visible back and forth between the team and the fans during their kickstarter.

Also, there's the nebulous why exactly do they need a kickstarter floating around. Presumably they've been working on this for a while, no kickstarter planned and now after seeing Shadowrun Returns they now need one? So it kind of comes off weird. Either they're fiscally incompetent and were going to be able to finish and now all of a sudden can't or their communication's bad and they gave that impression off when they actually always needed money.

Regardless, they do have a previous finished product out so we know they're real, they paid for a license so we know they've put down money, I believe them when they say they're fans as they started this before Shadowrun Returns so they were taking a decent risk with a then stagnant IP and oddly enough multiplayer is what Shadowrun is about and theoretically this could actually end up being the better Shadowrun game. That said I never played their previous games and being a browser based f2p kinda inspires me with a little bit of apprehension. I said screw it though and still backed it just now, didn't know it was so close to the wire. I think, for me, the more Shadowrun there is the better, even if this game and Shadowrun Returns both fail to live up to our expectations the more times this IP gets out there in the public the more interesting the IP may become to other parties and if even one or both of these games turns out to actually be really good, well that'd be fantastic too.

Sentenza

I think this is a lot of it. A lot of people are treating these projects like pre-orders so since with this one you're not really getting the game, or you'd get the game regardless actually, there's not much incentive to put any money down.
I would guess that it's not really about "we''ll have the game for free anyway", but more about "Why I should finance a F2P MMO that once completed will ask me to pay dollars to buy any trivial bullshit in game?"

tenchir

423k and 21 hours to go. It's pretty tight right now.

I am getting the android version, since the requirement for that is Samsung Tab 10.1, then my Xoom should be good since they both are practically the same hardware.

epmode

I would guess that it's not really about "we''ll have the game for free anyway", but more about "Why I should finance a F2P MMO that once completed will ask me to pay dollars to buy any trivial bullshit in game?"

Well, they did post about something called campaign servers: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1964352341/shadowrun-online/posts/273675

The way they describe it, it'll be like Guild Wars where a single payment gets you unlimited access to the game. Expansions will be sold separately.

Following the business model of games like Guild Wars, we’ll also offer the game as a standard client based PC/Mac/and iOS/Android tablet game with with all items that give any advantage in the in-game store bought with in-game "Nuyen" you earn while playing Shadowrun Online! So basically, you buy the game ONCE, really OWN the game, and can play it for as long as you want WITHOUT EXTRA CHARGES. There won’t be any monthly payments either. Like with a pen and paper game new campaigns, cities and other content and feature updates are then sold afterwards as “Add-ons” in packs, but it’s totally up to you if you want them or not. You can play with the basic package as long as you want. We call this model the “Campaign model" since you will have full access to a complete campaign with your Kickstarter pledge, or after launch, with a retail purchase of Shadowrun Online. We’re sure you have a lot of questions regarding this, and so we’ll try to answer a couple of them for you now:
1. How much will the game cost?

The full game will cost $39.99 at launch, but for Kickstarter we’ll have it in a $25 dollar reward tier. Major updates (Add-on packs) will be launched every 3 to 4 months and will be priced at $14.99 USD.

I'm considering it.

Tellaerin

^

Bingo.

Well, they did post about something called campaign servers: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1964352341/shadowrun-online/posts/273675

The way they describe it, it'll be like Guild Wars where a single payment gets you unlimited access to the game. Expansions will be sold separately.

Thanks for the info. This changes things, at least for me.

Nester

I actually reduced my original funding option for this, so I'm glad to see they made it. Started out at the $50 level, moved up to $65 at one point and then dropped down to $25 earlier today.

I put down $120 for MechWarrior Online and $60 for Shadowrun Returns, something about the split model for free to play servers and the campaign servers for SRO just kind of irked me a bit.

I'd say I was almost more excited about an online Shadowrun game than I was MWO and a single player SR, but that just tanked my interest.

Top Bottom