• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 Olympic Games - London?

Status
Not open for further replies.

3Sixty

So worried are Olympic organisers by how far behind schedule the 2016 Rio Games has fallen, London has reportedly been asked, in secret, if it could host the event at the last minute.

According to the London Evening Standard, an informal approach has been made by IOC chiefs to ascertain whether London's 2012 Olympic venues could be brought back into use.

The build-up to the Rio Games has been labelled a shambles, with every venue badly behind schedule, spiralling costs and accusations of negligence.

IOC vice-president John Coates has already called Brazil's preparations "the worst I've experienced", with just two years to go and a football World Cup to host in between.

An "unprecedented" special task force has been set up to try and speed up preparations but the situation on the ground is said to be "critical".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ol...ic-Games-fall-worryingly-behind-schedule.html

Woof.

Highly doubt it would happen but it has happened before (Thanks Vesuvius)

Randdalf

Given that construction has already started in preparation for converting the Olympic Stadium into a football stadium, I can't imagine West Ham would be too happy.

Welp, time to update the logo then:
13293_1343299562.jpg

If FIFA were competent, they would be having this same conversation with another country to replace Qutar too.

I'm shocked the IOC is even entertaining such a thing. Slightly refreshing....

I seriously doubt the Brazilians wont be ready to go by 2016. It will probably be rugged though and we will see a lot of twitter and instagram pics of shoddily constructed, poorly engineered structures and layouts. I wouldnt be surprised if sanitation was an issue as well.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
They dust off this article one year out from every single Olympics/World Cup/Commonwealth games.

Dougald

Yeah, right

I'm sure some of the venues could be brought back into use like the Stadium, Velodrome, etc... but a lot were temporary and have been removed already, or changed.

The Olympic village is all housing now too, so unless the new owners fancy a flat share...

Rio will be ready, everyone just likes a good "it'll be terrible" article before every Olympics.

It will be in Rio

I don't see it. I have a strong feeling the World Cup next month is gonna be a train wreck.
I mean we're just a month out and another stadium construction worker died this week on the job, there's still protests on the streets and nothings been done to curb the crime.

...then they Olympics will be pulled from them.

Yen

If FIFA were competent, they would be having this same conversation with another country to replace Qutar too.

I'm shocked the IOC is even entertaining such a thing. Slightly refreshing....

Difference is, the IOC probably weren't bribed into accepting Qatar.

Dougald

99% of the British publics opposition to this would be to avoid having to see those creepy ass one-eyed mascots again

King_Moc

Banned
I work for a company involved in 2012 and was told this was a distinct possibility around a year ago. So maybe.

We'd only need to hang some bunting up.

Ein Bear

I hope not, the cheesy national pride stuff was bad enough last time, if we get to 'save' the Olympics then it's going to be unbearable.

Jezbollah

The Olympic site has just been converted into the legacy configuration and opened for the public - half the structures that acted as venues have now gone - London may have been asked because it would have been the cheapest option compared to other cities.

Uprooting the new park for conversion back to an Olympic venue would not go down well politically.

The Olympic site has just been converted into the legacy configuration and opened for the public - half the structures that acted as venues have now gone - London may have been asked because it would have been the cheapest option compared to other cities.

Uprooting the new park for conversion back to an Olympic venue would not go down well politically.

One would have to assume that any sort of contingency wouldn't have quite the pomp of 2012 - ie, the swimming would be at Crystal Palace, the basketball at wherever the fuck London Towers used to play etc.

gerg

Woof.

Highly doubt it would happen but it has happened before (Thanks Vesuvius)

Just to clarify this statement, that was the 1908 Olympics.

As others in this thread have said, I don't see this happening. It'd be a major administrative issue for London.

King_Moc

Banned
Just to clarify this statement, that was the 1908 Olympics.

As others in this thread have said, I don't see this happening. It'd be a major administrative issue for London.

I'm pretty sure they could overlook some administration and the need to build another Olympic village when there's billions of pounds on offer.

mclem

If that was to happen... who'd pay for it?

I mean, I'd love for it to be here again, although in slightly awkward circumstances this time, but it's a bit of a pricey do...

I do wonder if this is something the IOC always have in the back of their mind; if an olympics is reasonably successful, they keep the phone number of the organising committee on speed-dial.

Oh, and if that *does* happen, I'm so going to watch that year's series of W1A :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom