• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Alan Wake

Silky

Banned
In the midst of my lack of connectivity to the social nexus, I've managed to beat Alan Wake in my free time. This is my first foray into Remedy's new now on hiatus series, and...honestly? I find it better than the original Max Payne in certain aspects.

Story
Alan Wake is another Remedy title that keeps me engaged and convinced to finish the story and watch the game unwrap itself. Learning more from the manuscripts and how it matched the eerie vibe with Wake's location, Bright Falls, is a very nice compliment. The game's packed with information from the simple NPCs in Bright Falls, to the Night Springs shows, etc. It rides the coattails of a Stephen King-esque romp in the very beginning, but in time Alan Wake unveils itself to be much much more.

Dialogue
I really like Alan's voice. Alan works well when communicating as a panicking skeptic and both as a narrarator. Outside of him and Barry...the voice acting is pretty shit. Dialogue is tongue in cheek and corny for most of the Bright Falls residents, but the voice acting gets downright poor at the end sections of the game. Speaking of Alan and Barry--though I do like the both of them, their dialogue degenerates from "WOAHMANSPOOKYHORRORTYPESITUATIONPANIC" to "Goofy buddy cop-esque horror parody." I also feel that the ad placements and blatant throwouts to brands and writer names (Fuck you, Nightingale) feels a bit too much and forced.

Presentation
Bright Falls is boring in the morning, but really eerie and unsettling in the night, as expected. It isn't scary, but it's enough to keep the player on their toes from what I've played.

Gameplay
I went through the game on my first playthrough on the Hard difficulty. Needless to say that the game was plenty enough of a challenge. Early on, things like flare guns to better lights and flashbangs felt like gifts to deal with the swarms of enemies. Midway, though, with it's abundance of the items and the same 5-6 enemies at a time, it felt a bit to easy to churn through and I didn't feel pressured to just book it to the light. The standoffs were one too many, honestly, and I would rather have the couple of puzzles every now and then to accompany it. The game felt like it was going from point A to B in the wrong way. Shooting was top-notch, though.

Overall, outside of Gameplay gripes, Alan Wake is right damn good. Tempted to jump into American Nightmare, or does the DLC for Alan Wake really that pivotal in the story?

tumblr_lzu6qh6fhH1r8upkio1_500.gif

(sorry if this was a bit too rushed in my afterthoughts. Writing outside in the cold isn't the best idea. :/)

sunnz

Easily in the top 3 games this gen for me, just amazing.
Made my 360 purchase worth it. The experience was one of a kind to me.

Jadedx

Banned
Great game is great, also the grass is green.

American Nightmare has better combat, but the story is mediocre. I should say it has very little story.

Don't expect American Nightmare to be a sequel or anything. It's a sidestory that has one of the coolest characters in gaming history (for me) and improved gameplay, but that's about it. It's still good, though; I enjoyed it a lot. Just keep your expectations in check.

Also, as much as I LOVED Alan Wake, I found the story kinda bland overall. It was the atmosphere and music that really kept me going. I quite enjoyed the gameplay, too, but it did have its quirks at times. Great game overall. One of my favorites.

Oh, and the Latin American dub is awesome. It's just as good as the English one.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
the AW DLC is fan-fucking-tastic. american nightmare is only good.

Oh, yeah, the DLC is pretty awesome. The Writer is the best. There's a particular section in it that's super impressive on a technical level and just cool to look at.

Grisby

Love it. I really enjoyed every thing about it. The pacing, characters, environments, gunplay...loved it all. Oh and the ending episode songs were brilliant. Introduced me to Poe's 'Haunted' and gave me some hot new tracks from Poets of the Fall.

It was great how every day items like flares and flare guns became tools of darkness destruction.

I remember the one-two punch of playing both this and Red Dead the same week. Both are two of my favorite gaming experiences this generation. There was just such a great innate feeling of success when I managed to make one of my friends get it and fall in love with it the same way I did, albeit 3 years late. Bring on Alan Wake 2; ain't nobody got time for this Quantum Break business, Remedy.

Marjar

Banned
I honestly have no goddamn clue why everyone loves this game. It's painfully repetitive, has completely unlikable characters, and has a dumb plot.

Karak

I am revisiting this in the next couple days. One of the most enjoyable games of the generations easily.

Jokab

I actually finished this today. I really enjoyed the main game's story, but it got even better with the DLC. Overall I agree that there should have been less shooting segments, at the end it really did feel like I was just getting from point A to point B. Points though to Remedy for not using the same areas all the time, at least most of the battles felt fresh in that regard.

Unlike most games I've played recently, this game did not take a nose dive towards the end. I thought it was quite consistent throughout save the beginning which was really really good. The atmosphere never skipped a beat and the story kept me hooked throughout.

In the end it's one of the best games I've played in a long time. Eagerly awaiting the sequel, however long it'll take to come out (or even start development).

EDIT: Oh, and that OST: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeSUvoY2oUk

Jokab

I honestly have no goddamn clue why everyone loves this game. It's painfully repetitive, has completely unlikable characters, and has a dumb plot.

Alan Wake is meant to be unlikeable, because he's a first class douche in almost every regard. Other than that there are only very minor characters to speak of.

What about the plot is dumb?

Alvarez

Banned
Pretty much everyone agrees that Alan Wake needed less combat and more... anything. 80%+ of the game is spent being pincer attacked by ANOTHER WAVE!!

ShowDog

I tried playing it with my wife watching; she likes the scary games. But it really wasn't doing the job. Just boring, after 2 hours neither of us had any desire to continue further.

I was looking forward to playing it as I loved Max Payne 2.

Megatron

I remember the one-two punch of playing both this and Red Dead the same week. Both are two of my favorite gaming experiences this generation. There was just such a great innate feeling of success when I managed to make one of my friends get it and fall in love with it the same way I did, albeit 3 years late. Bring on Alan Wake 2; ain't nobody got time for this Quantum Break business, Remedy.

AW2 will make me get an XBone.

sunnz

I personally loved the driving moments ( when you drove to the mill, during day time)

For some reason that was one of the best moments for me. Just felt so... good.

fantastic fucking game. just finished the main game, debating on jumping into the Signal or into Amreican Nightmare

But truly a great game top to bottom

Marjar

Banned
Alan Wake is meant to be unlikeable, because he's a first class douche. Other than that there are only very minor characters to speak of.

What about the plot is dumb?

Maybe dumb is the wrong word for it. It's just completely uninteresting and boring.

I mean, it's a great concept, the idea of a magic lake that turns peoples' writings into reality, but the execution just fell flat for me. I think it's mainly because the characters have very little to no development at all, and Alan Wake is just so unlikable, that I have no reason to care about what's going on.

Vecks

I thought it was okay. The atmosphere didn't really grab me. I would've preferred more adventure, story bits, and exploration.

Gbraga

The Writer is probably my favorite chapter in the game, you should really play the DLC.

And Bright Falls isn't boring during the day :(

I wish we got more daytime stuff :(

I really enjoyed it, and in many ways it was the Silent Hill game that I'd been waiting for this generation. I even enjoyed fumbling with the controls at times, makes sense, dude's a writer. Combat was repetitive, as noted in OP, so probably the low point for me. Suspense was great though, with the constant feeling that something totally fucked up was about to happen. It's also perpetually on sale now, which is awesome.

Krakn3Dfx

I love the setting and feel of Alan Wake, but man, the whole "shine, shoot, repeat" mechanic definitely got repetitive over time. I enjoyed the story tho, so that kind of made up for it.

joe2187

Banned
I really enjoyed everything. The DLC was very good.

The only problem I have is the collectibles I'm missing one coffee thermos and I cannot for the life of me figure out which one unless I play through the entire game all over again. Collecting the manuscripts and hidden cache's were interesting as they were tied to overall storyline of the game.

Collecting thermos were fucking stupid and annoying, it added nothing!

I applaud you for finishing one of the best games this gen (personally my favorite game of all time). Also go with the DLC, you will not regret it at all and then go onto American Nightmare.

See Remedy, this is why we need AW2 after Quantum Break!

terrible

Banned
It's been lost in my backlog. I played it for a few minutes and that is it.

I downloaded the OST that came with my Humble Bundle purchase and I've listened to it quite a few times though. It's really good.

I really wish this game had some sort of instant amnesia after it, the chills and feelings I got from some of the twists and surprise story points have not happened in any game since that I have played, and that has been a lot of games. :(

Rezae

Agreed. Went through it a month ago. Loved the first few hours but then the plot got more absurd and the gameplay stale as hell. Forced myself to finish it. My 2 cents at least.

TheExodu5

Banned
I started this yesterday and finished Chapter 2. I really, really don't like it. The story is a bore, and gameplay consists of going from point A to point B while going through random arenas of samey enemies along the way. Definitely one of the most boring games I've played, and a pretty good example of what I dislike about modern console gaming.

Chittagong

Gold Member
That chapter end with Nick Cave playing is one of the most memorable musical moments in gaming. The lyrics, the atmosphere, mindblowing.

The Kasabian moment in American Nightmare is pretty damn fantastic too.

Great games, great music.

desertdroog

Think of the goofy voice actors of the people around town as a vehicle for Alan Wake's mediocre writing, since he is essentially writing his way through the game.

Meta-Inception!

One of the best games of the generation, despite the repetitive gameplay. Too bad it came out at the same time as THE best game of the generation so it didn't get the sales it deserved.

Tonguer

Tempted to jump into American Nightmare, or does the DLC for Alan Wake really that pivotal in the story?

These people know what's up. Heed the wisdom, OP!

the AW DLC is fan-fucking-tastic.

Oh, yeah, the DLC is pretty awesome. The Writer is the best.

I really enjoyed the main game's story, but it got even better with the DLC.

The Writer is probably my favorite chapter in the game, you should really play the DLC.

I really enjoyed everything. The DLC was very good.

Also go with the DLC, you will not regret it at all

Definitely play the DLC.

That atmosphere and setting man....so perfect, i wanna live in a wooden shack in some small countryside town for a while before i die, preferably somewhere in Washington

Top Bottom