• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden NFL 18 Longshot

EA finally answers the cries of NeoGAF users who never touch sports games by adding a deep and compelling story mode while ignoring the actual football part of the game.

Still not going to touch this one like I haven't the others...

Because I know Wade goes to the Pats at the end instead of my Lions. Fuck the Pats.

Jopie

The actual football part of the game has been really good the past few years. This is a cool addition.

Wadiwasi

Banned
For me personally hearing EA talk about the need for stories makes me happy because the games with deep compelling stories are the ones I tend to buy and play.

I am sad though that I'll need him to be drafted by the Pats because Brady is on the cover and he's going to get hurt and my Pats will need a replacement.....

Every year I tell myself I will not buy Madden. Then the day it comes out I realize the only way the Jaguars are winning more than 5 games is if I play them on Madden. I imagine this year will be no different.

Barryman

I wish they had just expanded the LA Rams intro thing from last year into a full season (preferably with a more interesting team).

This storyline is kind of overplayed and I don't see how it relates to the actual gameplay of Madden which is playing as an entire NFL team.

Every year I tell myself I will not buy Madden. Then the day it comes out I realize the only way the Jaguars are winning more than 5 games is if I play them on Madden. I imagine this year will be no different.

I think the Jags will win more than 5 games this year, May even steal the division.

Quick

Banned
Haven't picked up Madden since 07, but the story mode piques my interest. Though to be honest, I really want something like Superstar Mode from that year. NBA 2k's MyCareer is pretty close to it, basically.

How was the story mode on FIFA 17?

Certinty

Never bought a Madden game before but given how much I enjoyed The Journey on FIFA 17 I might pick this up now.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm happy more sport games are doing this, once I do franchise, ain't a lot for me to do. Nice little changeup

Yeah, honestly for people who don't like to play online there's really not a lot you can do, or you have to dive in to franchise which is also overwhelming to non-hardcore, so I think these story modes are really good ideas. If I heard about one being executed really well, I might pick up one of these games just for that b/c I like their core gameplay usually but just don't have time to go super-deep into them anymore.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
For me personally hearing EA talk about the need for stories makes me happy because the games with deep compelling stories are the ones I tend to buy and play.

I am sad though that I'll need him to be drafted by the Pats because Brady is on the cover and he's going to get hurt and my Pats will need a replacement.....

Oh, is Brady on the cover this year? Welp, hard pass

Put a Browns running back on the cover again, EA. FLY CROW FLY

LionPride

Banned
Yeah, honestly for people who don't like to play online there's really not a lot you can do, or you have to dive in to franchise which is also overwhelming to non-hardcore, so I think these story modes are really good ideas. If I heard about one being executed really well, I might pick up one of these games just for that b/c I like their core gameplay usually but just don't have time to go super-deep into them anymore.
Like I love sport games, give me my fix, always wish they had a story mode though. It's like fighting games, I ain't fuckin with you if you ain't got a story mode in 2017

Mafro

EA finally answers the cries of NeoGAF users who never touch sports games by adding a deep and compelling story mode while ignoring the actual football part of the game.
Stealing this for the Sony conference on Monday and replacing "EA" and "sports games" with "Capcom" and "Monster Hunter".

It's a "longshot" that this will be good.
I bet the developers played the "longshot" in getting this accepted by EA.

Feel free to do more.

jmizzal

I wondering if you can create your player or are you forced to play as the guy like Fifa, looks like your forced to go to the story school and play QB, was hoping they would go 2K route and let you choose all that.

Did EA post any other PR on Madden Story mode?

Jetman

Thanks to the story mode shown off, this will probably be the first Madden game I play since the 16-Bit era.

I wondering if you can create your player or are you forced to play as the guy like Fifa, looks like your forced to go to the story school and play QB, was hoping they would go 2K route and let you choose all that.

Did EA post any other PR on Madden Story mode?

I think it might just be quarterback. Dan Marino is your character's mentor in the game so I'm in.

No it's not. I'm a consumer and I don't want to buy something I don't like, even if it's just because of the cover.

Its extremely silly.. I couldn't tell you about the cover about any game i own.. Cause I don't buy the game based on a cover.. Thats ridiculous.. But hey its your money... Did you do the same when snes or nes games have cool anime on the cover and the actual game looks nothing like it? Now that's a reason not to buy a game..but I'm sure you didnt do that. But because tom brady is on there instead of any other player.. Its pretty ridiculous.

StereoVsn

Just read up about this mode. It looks like there is no career mode but basically an interactive movie about getting to NFL. Never mind then, this will wait till $20 sale.

NBA 2K, Sony's "The Show" and EA's own FIFA got this right, wonder why they went this particular movie route with Madden.

Edit:
Spike Lee is licking his lips.
I really hope not as NBA 2K16 storymode was awful because of that.

Lady Gaia

I'm going to have to check this out, because honestly I've always thought an NFL RPG would be a surprisingly good idea.

Lol deep compelling story mode

You will not be playing the games
Your character does not play in the NFL
Its basically all cutscenes

StereoVsn

Lol deep compelling story mode

You will not be playing the games
Your character does not play in the NFL
Its basically all cutscenes
Well, I am sure there will be some practice games or maybe a college game but that's about it and yeah I don't get it either. So back to NBA it is for my sports ARPG fix.

The Show and FIFA are supposed to be good as well but I am not really into baseball or soccer. I am sure Madden 18 will be fun for like 2-3 hours but it sounds about it.

Top Bottom