• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden NFL 18 Longshot

LionPride

Banned
Do you play competitively? Online leagues? Online ranked? Or do you just play cpu?
CPU and Online. Didn't play a lot online this year tho. Stuck mostly to franchise and figuring out why the patches kept fucking with the gameplay. Kinda hard to have fun when I can put 40+ on the CPU even with sliders made by people I usually trust

I'm hyped to have fournette in the backfield. And yet again out defense looks good on paper...gotta BELIEVE!

AJ and Jalen are gonna feast week 1, regardless of whether it's Savage or Watson under center. Also, that Calais/Malik/Dante/Yanick line will be dangerous for sure.

Of course, the team goes as Blake goes, though. Hopefully his work with 3DQB will result in a 2015 or better showing again.

Stiler

My main problem with Madden games that I wish they'd fix is the speed and animations of the palyers. Players move WAAAAAAAAY too fast, it doesn't feel or look like real football.

It's like half way between a football sim and an over the top arcade game, but not as good as either could be.

see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWC4IwAgOes

2k nailed the speed and momentum of more realistic animations and overall gameplay with the 2k nfl games.

NFL Blitz nailed the over-the-top arcade gameplay.

Madden is just in the middle of them and since it's the only one with the NFL license it's the only game people will play.

Really wish Madden would at least try a more sim like approach to the gameplay , at least make it an option.

PrinceKee

I was excited for Madden and the Longshot campaign and was going to be the first one I purchased in like 8 years until I read a quick preview on Operation Sports. You don't even get to play one NFL game during the story mode. Go through Pop warner football through college until the combine...

Alchemy

I like character created career modes that are not structured or acted out in linear ways but have procedural interactions with coaches/team owners/players/the press, stuff like refusing to sign with teams or demanding trades with realistic team behavior. So I'm still not going to care about Madden this year unfortunately.

My main problem with Madden games that I wish they'd fix is the speed and animations of the palyers. Players move WAAAAAAAAY too fast, it doesn't feel or look like real football.

It's like half way between a football sim and an over the top arcade game, but not as good as either could be.

see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWC4IwAgOes

2k nailed the speed and momentum of more realistic animations and overall gameplay with the 2k nfl games.

NFL Blitz nailed the over-the-top arcade gameplay.

Madden is just in the middle of them and since it's the only one with the NFL license it's the only game people will play.

Really wish Madden would at least try a more sim like approach to the gameplay , at least make it an option.

They addressed speed in m17

Ashtar

I was excited for Madden and the Longshot campaign and was going to be the first one I purchased in like 8 years until I read a quick preview on Operation Sports. You don't even get to play one NFL game during the story mode. Go through Pop warner football through college until the combine...
lol I read the same thing on games radar
They had it seem like it'd be like my career but it's more like Friday night lights a tell tale game

So it's a Johnny Manziel simulator?

And where did you exactly hear that lie?
http://www.gamesradar.com/9-things-...-longshot-story-mode-direct-from-its-creator/

2. You never play in an actual NFL game

”We really do feel like you're playing a true campaign mode. You'll have one scene that's a cinematic movie experience, then in another you're controlling through choices and how you play on the field. There's not a single NFL game. You experience high school football, you see Devin at different stages of his life including Pop Warner [youth football], some college football, and other surprising twists.

Devin Wade, our protagonist, was at one point one of the best high school quarterbacks in Texas, and went on to play Division I college football, but along the way he quit. Now he's back with his best friend: an all-heart, under-talented wide receiver, called Colt Cruise. They've always been a great duo. It's two guys trying to beat the odds. Definitely a buddy film."

StereoVsn

Yeah, all the news sites reported about no actual NFL play/career mode. Apparently there is not going to be much gameplay at all, mostly cutscenes. I really think that EA missed the whole point of this.

jmizzal

Just read up about this mode. It looks like there is no career mode but basically an interactive movie about getting to NFL. Never mind then, this will wait till $20 sale.

NBA 2K, Sony's "The Show" and EA's own FIFA got this right, wonder why they went this particular movie route with Madden.

Edit:
I really hope not as NBA 2K16 storymode was awful because of that.

Yup info is here - http://www.gameinformer.com/games/m...tory-mode-tells-the-tale-of-the-longshot.aspx

This sounds so disappointing, I will get Madden since I get it every year but this story stuff mode should have been so much better.

Yea they could have did like NBA 2K16 Spike Lee story, once the story ends you just continue your career normally with no more story, it sounds so dumb, I knew EA would screw it up somehow.

I think the Jags will win more than 5 games this year, May even steal the division.

The Jags aren't winning the division when Luck will be healthy for the first time in two years lol.

Anyway it's always nice to see more content added to these sports games. Though I won't be buying because I'm not interested in owning a single piece of merchandise with a Patriots uniform on it.

If it's anything like FIFA (and if it gets a positive response), I'm guessing the story might continue in next year's edition. That's what I saw in this upcoming year's editon of their game, it follows his pro career after he made it. But I'm sure people don't want to buy annual editions just to play story mode.

greenmind

Banned
yea Madden 17s gameplay is awesome... just tweak it a bit and I am happy (add 4k native as well).

Looking forward to the story mode.... wish you could play as any college (NCAA FOOTBALL RETURNS!)

Griss

I've shat on Madden for years but recently picked up 2017 and I must say the gameplay is really coming together. I was really impressed; my shittalking stops now.

That said I have no interest in these single player story modes in Madden or Fifa.

The Jags aren't winning the division when Luck will be healthy for the first time in two years lol.

Anyway it's always nice to see more content added to these sports games. Though I won't be buying because I'm not interested in owning a single piece of merchandise with a Patriots uniform on it.

No one has any clue how healthy Luck is or isn't, coming off of a very serious surgery on his throwing shoulder. He hasn't thrown a ball since January. On top of that, Jax's defense will destroy Luck and smother his pathetic receivers to the point where it won't matter if he's healthy or not.

Dishwalla

Banned
Jags were supposed to be somewhat of a powerhouse last season, and uh putting it mildly they weren't. So excuse me if I have little faith in them being too much better this next season. Maybe they will surprise everyone, but I sure ain't expecting much.

M.W.

Fuck Alex Hunter and fuck this guy. I'm not playing this shit.

Those Scorpio screens looked nice, if they are indeed legit. Can't wait to see footage, is this the first year using Frostbite for Madden?

RdN

I imagine it will be like Fifa, where the story is told through multiple games, each one being a new season.

To each their own I suppose... But this comes off like something I'd maybe play for a couple hours tops and never touch again. It makes me wonder how much better the actual game could be if they put the budget into mechanics, AI, gameplay improvements....

PrinceKee

I imagine it will be like Fifa, where the story is told through multiple games, each one being a new season.

It's nothing like FIFA. I'm actually playing the journey now and you actually get try out, sign and play as a pro in that mode. This Longshot mode in madden you never play a second as a pro in the NFL. Not to mention it looks like there's not a lot of actual football gameplay in the mode. Probably don't get to play a full game at any level rather its high school football or college and it looks very scripted. EA has missed the mark entirely with this. Like someone suggested they could have told the story in Longshot and then when you make it to the NFL you get to continue your career until you retire like the spike lee story in NBA 2k...

The story mode will get ignored by serious madden players.

I'm a serious player, I'll play through it because why not, but I'm still only focused on Franchise. I assume I'll cringe at all of the cut scenes and it'll be heavily scripted, but I don't care, I enjoy campy videogame stories.

For me, Madden has had a story mode since 1999, because building franchise has always had an inherent story for me.

It's nothing like FIFA. I'm actually playing the journey now and you actually get try out, sign and play as a pro in that mode. This Longshot mode in madden you never play a second as a pro in the NFL. Not to mention it looks like there's not a lot of actual football gameplay in the mode. Probably don't get to play a full game at any level rather its high school football or college and it looks very scripted. EA has missed the mark entirely with this. Like someone suggested they could have told the story in Longshot and then when you make it to the NFL you get to continue your career until you retire like the spike lee story in NBA 2k...

Wait... You don't actually play in the NFL in the mode...

Hahaha what ea

PrinceKee

I'm a serious player, I'll play through it because why not, but I'm still only focused on Franchise. I assume I'll cringe at all of the cut scenes and it'll be heavily scripted, but I don't care, I enjoy campy videogame stories.

For me, Madden has had a story mode since 1999, because building franchise has always had an inherent story for me.

Wait... You don't actually play in the NFL in the mode...

Hahaha what ea

Nope you don't. Imagine an NFL game with a story mode where you don't get to actually play in the NFL. Only EA could think of this. Imagine playing call of duty and having a campaign where you only went through Army basic training and the campaign ends with you never getting to fight...

StereoVsn

Nope you don't. Imagine an NFL game with a story mode where you don't get to actually play in the NFL. Only EA could think of this. Imagine playing call of duty and having a campaign where you only went through Army basic training and the campaign ends with you never getting to fight...
What's weird is that FIFA has the story and allows career mode as a Pro player. I guess EA is going after "Friday Night Lights" audience or something.

Every year I tell myself I will not buy Madden. Then the day it comes out I realize the only way the Jaguars are winning more than 5 games is if I play them on Madden. I imagine this year will be no different.

<--- This is me every year too with the Jags...ever since NCAA stopped and I couldn't play with my Gators, I've had to resort to pretending the Jags are good in Madden.

Falchion

I'm fine if all their sports games take on the story aspect, I just hope they change it up each year. I don't want to be some blue chip recruit from Texas every year.

Top Bottom