• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: April 20-26

jeremy1456

ksamedi said:
It really only takes one big hit software to up the momentum significantly. Nintendo is known for releasing hit sofware like this for years now. What's so funny about wait for the X game when Nintendo has pretty much proven it can sell hardware?

I think he's alluding to the fact that people used to make fun of Sony fans for saying the same thing.

JoJo13

Banned
This is why it's such a shame that Square has decided to accept the big buckets of moneyhats rather than simply going multiplatform for many of their JRPG titles.

Square's direction this gen has been an absolute disaster.

Spiegel

When I said Wii is in a hard position I meant that the console needs a continuated stream of games to mantain good level of sales. Third parties didn't jump in when the console was selling 50-60k weekly so it's pretty hard to believe that now they are going to do it and fill the gaps in the schedule.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
JoJo13 said:
This is why it's such a shame that Square has decided to accept the big buckets of moneyhats rather than simply going multiplatform for many of their JRPG titles.

Square's direction this gen has been an absolute disaster.
I'm as upset as you but let them continue as their loyal fans leave for the competitions games. Square is losing pull outside of the DQ and FF brand. I guess that's all they need it seems. Too bad as I would be there for almost any of their next gen titles on PS3 day 1. That is one of the reasons I got a 360.

jeremy1456

Spiegel said:
When I said Wii is in a hard position I meant that the console needs a continuated stream of games to mantain good level of sales. Third parties didn't jump in when the console was selling 50-60k weekly so it's pretty hard to believe that now they are going to do it and fill the gaps in the schedule.

Oh okay I see what you're saying, and you're right. Hopefully FFCC:CB, Monster Hunter 3, Samurai Warriors 3, and Tales of Graces help the situation.

ksamedi

Spiegel said:

Which third party game is a system seller besides Monster Hunter these days? It rejuvenated the PSP and will probably give the Wii a bump as well. Nintendo is pretty much the only company in Japan right now who can build significant momentum for the Wii.

jeremy1456

ksamedi said:
Which third party game is a system seller besides Monster Hunter these days? It rejuvenated the PSP and will probably give the Wii a bump as well. Nintendo is pretty much the only company in Japan right now who can build significant momentum for the Wii.

Samurai Warriors 3 stands a good chance of pushing some hardware.

ksamedi

jeremy1456 said:
Samurai Warriors 3 stands a good chance of pushing some hardware.

yeah bump maybe, but nothing that will change the momentum significantly. Those kind of titles usually create temporary bumps while titles like Wiifit and Wiisports can push a console for months and in some cases years. These titles have long legs themselves as well. Samorai Warriors 3 will not have long legs.

jeremy1456

ksamedi said:
yeah bump maybe, but nothing that will change the momentum significantly. Those kind of titles usually create temporary bumps while titles like Wiifit and Wiisports can push a console for months and in some cases years. These titles have long legs themselves as well. Samorai Warriors 3 will not have long legs.

Oh okay, I didn't know you were talking of slow burners.

Spiegel

ksamedi said:

Not every game has to be a system seller. Like I said, what a console needs the most is having a continuated stream of games and, sadly for nintendo, they can't have this without massive third party support.

ksamedi

jeremy1456 said:
Oh okay, I didn't know you were talking of slow burners.

Either you have a couple of slow burners or you have a constant stream of big fast burners. PS3 has a stream of fast burners, but not enough to maintain high sales. Nintendo relied on slow burners for there Wii but some of them didn't work out. Wiimusic being a disappointment in sales and Animal Crossing turning out to be the same as the DS version. With new slow burning software being late, the Wii went down in sales. Its pretty much only carried by Wiifit these days.

jeremy1456

ksamedi said:
Either you have a couple of slow burners or you have a constant stream of big fast burners. PS3 has a stream of fast burners, but not enough to maintain high sales. Nintendo relied on slow burners for there Wii but some of them didn't work out. Wiimusic being a disappointment in sales and Animal Crossing turning out to be the same as the DS version. With new slow burning software being late, the Wii went down in sales. Its pretty much only carried by Wiifit these days.

And Taiko no Tatsujin, I might add.

Unfortunately Wii Fit Plus probably won't help hardware much. They need some more hardcore releases.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Aru said:
There's a lot of talking about Valkyria doing well these days.

Any LTD numbers for Japan ?

Can we begin to hope for a sequel ? :D

The success of the anime "aka the Faces of Alicia" may mean that it will get a sequel.

7970a5a1.jpg

The question is whether it will be for the PS3, or it will be released on another platform.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
test_account said:
That is true, but who is most likely to cut the price first, Nintendo or Sony? I would guess Sony. Final Fantasy 13 is most likely comming out in winter 2009. Gran Turismo 5 is just a wild guess, but concidering how long this game has been in development now, i think that a 2009 release could be realistic :)
Why would Sony be more likely to cut the price of the PS3 at a time when it is selling better than usual, over Nintendo cutting the price of the Wii when it is doing far worse than it was last year. This seems backwards to me.

ksamedi

Spiegel said:
Not every game has to be a system seller. Like I said, what a console needs the most is having a continuated stream of games and, sadly for nintendo, they can't have this without massive third party support.

Nintendo made the DS a cultural phenomenon with there own software. They made the Wii sell pretty good in the first year with their own software. they really don't need third parties to sell the Wii. What they do need is third parties to give them temporary momentum when they fuck up in release schedules.

jeremy1456

poppabk said:
Why would Sony be more likely to cut the price of the PS3 at a time when it is selling better than usual, over Nintendo cutting the price of the Wii when it is doing far worse than it was last year. This seems backwards to me.

Because after the momentum from the FFXIII demo crashes Sony will be right back to where they were before.

jeremy1456

Let's not forget that piracy was probably a big reason the PSP never fell down so low on the charts in it's first few years.

They rarely even had a game in the top ten back then. Heck, how they sold 20-30k systems each week with no games even in the top 20 is a pretty sure indication.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
lo zaffo said:
I'm intrigued by DQ x arguing: my theory is that S-E doesn't care if the game will be rushed, Nintendo won't either and agree to have it on shelved as soon as possible as to switch to new hardware, they both know this DQ will be a transition one, because market is not stable, they want DQ to grow in West market, etc. and they don't care if it flop as long as Nintendo home consoles are not perceived like jRPG playground. All eyes are on DQ ix, some says it will sell 10 millions in JPN, it's huge number ... But what if DQ x is developed by Tokyo EAD team and it reuse Super Mario Galaxy 3D engine ???:D

ROTFL

This one is up there with the "I don't know how much you people know about jap culture", nice joke post kiddo :)

Pero' troppe cazzate tutte insieme fanno male :lol

test_account

XP-39C²
poppabk said:
Ye, i see what you mean, but the PS3 is still more expencive than the competitors. If i am not mistaken, the PS3 costs nearly (relatively) twice as much as the Wii (~40,000 yen VS ~25.000 yen). Therefor i think it is more likely that Sony will drop the price.

Although every company want their products to sell at their current price and that they dont really want to lower the prices, i am under the impression that Nintendo has a much strickter price drop policy than what Sony has.

EDIT: I added some text.

Zen

Banned
THe PS3 was considered to be selling 'not well' until the Wii basically crashed and burned. I don't think Sony is all that happy with the PS3 hardware sales in japan, and since the PS3 isn't at a mass market price point, any price drop will probably have a positive overall effect on their average sales... as long as it's acompanied by good software releases.

The problem with the Wii isn't something that a price drop will fix. Nintendo let it crash and burn out by not releasing enough new and interesting software for the casual gamers they'd roped in, and by not having frequent enough releases of hardcore games for their dedicated userbase (granted It probably pretty much is just the hardcore who's buying the Wii in Japan right now). They need to turn around the Wii with Software.

I'm stating the obvious today.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Well at least we have a more.....diverse crowd lately. Odd how that happened.

donny2112

test_account said:
Is it really that unthinkable that the PS3 could sell more hardware than the Wii in 2009 in Japan if the PS3 gets a pricedrop, Gran Turismo 5 and Final Fantasy 13 within 2009?

Yes. Wii Sports Resort will do more to push hardware through general increase in awareness of the Wii in Japan than FFXIII will for the PS3. The major difference there is that Wii Sports Resort will raise Wii's baseline (like Brain Training did for DS in 2005) while FFXIII will cause a severe spike before pretty quickly falling back to pre-FFXIII levels, if it even comes out this year. From looking at the hardware sales with the FFXIII demo release, I've started considering two ideas.

1) FFXIII will do much better than I thought it would. Why? MGS4. MGS4 is a hardcore userbase that despite being on a lesser userbase, still bought the game in comparable levels even though the 1st week % was the highest for the series. The immediate increase in PS3 hardware for ACC w/ FFXIII demo followed by the severe drop the following week reminds me almost exactly of what happened at MGS4's release. I've also been saying (and continue to say) for a while that FFXIII will likely do 80% of its LTD in the 1st week based on the past FF mainline games. I had been saying that 1st week would be 1 million, but based on MGS4 working out so well, I'm starting to think 1.5 million might be more reasonable.

2) FFXIII will do nothing to increase PS3's hardware sales longterm. Why? Every other <insert game>-bump and especially MGS4. The affect of the MGS4 bump was gone in six weeks, and then the PS3 continued to drop from there. I'm not sure how big the FFXIII bump itself will be (maybe 100K?), but as the game will have no legs, the hardware increase won't be sustained, either. It won't be enough to overcome the normal increase that Nintendo consoles and the generational leader have in the Fall, much less the overall increase from the games Nintendo continues to keep close to its chest (e.g. Wii Fit+).

Price drop and GT5 are TBD for 2009, but, no, I still don't think they'd make PS3 > Wii YTD.

TheBranca18 said:
Some Sony fans in this thread are also incredibly defensive. The 360 has outsold the PS3 seven weeks in a row. It's a change, no matter whatever reasons you may come up to explain it. Yes it's true the releases are going to dry up. Yes it's true that the PS3 hasn't had any big releases recently. Yes it's true the 360 is barely ahead in YTD and is still far behind overall. That doesn't change the fact that the 360 has outsold the PS3 for seven weeks in a row.

I mean you could explain these things without getting all up in arms. Most people aren't posting to piss you guys off, they're just excited to see some change.

Fixed for the October 2008 irony.

Spiegel said:
And on an unrelated note, I find pretty funny how some Wii fans are playing the "wait for X" card now

I've been bemoaning that reality since last Fall. I think Nintendo has been too enthralled with their non-Japanese performance to take seriously the position that we saw them in a long time ago in Japan.

jeremy1456 said:
I would bank more on the October conference,

If we don't know what Nintendo has planned in Japan for 2009 by then, they are idiots and then PS3 > Wii YTD becomes an actual possibility. :lol
We'll know well before then. ;)

Oh, and again for the record, I think the Wii will sell 2-3x the PS360 total in Japan YTD. :p

test_account said:
It is about 1 month until E3 now, so we will know the answer relatively soon :)

Nintendo's FY conference is May 7. I expect them to discuss new titles for the next Fiscal Year there to support their planned console shipments for the year. Probably not everything, but we should get something significant from that. :)

jeremy1456

donny2112 said:
Nintendo's FY conference is May 7. I expect them to discuss new titles for the next Fiscal Year there to support their planned console shipments for the year. Probably not everything, but we should get something significant from that. :)

Good points Don, but what did Nintendo announce last year at their FY conference, if anything?

JoJo13

Banned
If Sony drops the price and has GT5 and FFXIII release this year, there's absolutely no way the Wii will outsell the PS3 YTD. Those are two colossal titles, and combined with a price drop there will be a rather sustainable spike.

I'm still not exactly sure how Wii Sports Resort is going to do since it's a title that is already selling to an established base in Japan, and a base that has saturated at this point. Casuals won't even care or know what the extra motion+ does; they thought they were getting full waggle from the start. It will sell lots of software units, but push hardware? Wii Sports 1 should have already done that. Why would someone just now get a Wii for Wii Sports Resort? Wii Sports should have already pushed them over the edge.

On the other hand, there are still LOTS of people waiting on key PS3 software and/or a pricedrop.

donny2112 said:
Yes. Wii Sports Resort will do more to push hardware through general increase in awareness of the Wii in Japan than FFXIII will for the PS3. The major difference there is that Wii Sports Resort will raise Wii's baseline (like Brain Training did for DS in 2005) while FFXIII will cause a severe spike before pretty quickly falling back to pre-FFXIII levels, if it even comes out this year. From looking at the hardware sales with the FFXIII demo release, I've started considering two ideas.

1) FFXIII will do much better than I thought it would. Why? MGS4. MGS4 is a hardcore userbase that despite being on a lesser userbase, still bought the game in comparable levels even though the 1st week % was the highest for the series. The immediate increase in PS3 hardware for ACC w/ FFXIII demo followed by the severe drop the following week reminds me almost exactly of what happened at MGS4's release. I've also been saying (and continue to say) for a while that FFXIII will likely do 80% of its LTD in the 1st week based on the past FF mainline games. I had been saying that 1st week would be 1 million, but based on MGS4 working out so well, I'm starting to think 1.5 million might be more reasonable.

2) FFXIII will do nothing to increase PS3's hardware sales longterm. Why? Every other <insert game>-bump and especially MGS4. The affect of the MGS4 bump was gone in six weeks, and then the PS3 continued to drop from there. I'm not sure how big the FFXIII bump itself will be (maybe 100K?), but as the game will have no legs, the hardware increase won't be sustained, either. It won't be enough to overcome the normal increase that Nintendo consoles and the generational leader have in the Fall, much less the overall increase from the games Nintendo continues to keep close to its chest (e.g. Wii Fit+).

Price drop and GT5 are TBD for 2009, but, no, I still don't think they'd make PS3 > Wii YTD.

I've been bemoaning that reality since last Fall. I think Nintendo has been too enthralled with their non-Japanese performance to take seriously the position that we saw them in a long time ago in Japan.

If we don't know what Nintendo has planned in Japan for 2009 by then, they are idiots and then PS3 > Wii YTD becomes an actual possibility. :lol
We'll know well before then. ;)

Oh, and again for the record, I think the Wii will sell 2-3x the PS360 total in Japan YTD. :p

Personally, I think you might be overestimating Resort. To me, it looks as though the appeal will be to previous Wii owners that already have Wii Sports. I wouldnt buy a brand new console for a sequel to a game ive never played.

donny2112

AniHawk said:
They announced nothing, which is exactly what we got.

Possibly because they had just had the Nintendo Media Summit 10 days earlier. ;) Nintendo talked about Mario Kart, Wii Fit, and WiiWare (including a focus on World of Goo announced at the Media Summit). In other words, they gave supporting reasons for their projected shipments for the year, which would require talking about new games in the absence of any immediate big releases like Mario Kart/Wii Fit or an entire Media Summit having happened 10 days earlier for this year. :p

pseudocaesar said:
Personally, I think you might be overestimating Resort. To me, it looks as though the appeal will be to previous Wii owners that already have Wii Sports. I wouldnt buy a brand new console for a sequel to a game ive never played.

Expanded audience games behave differently than core games. That's pretty much it. Brain Training 2 didn't kill Brain Training 1 and increased overall hardware sales. I expect Wii Sports Resort to renew interest in the Wii console causing an overall increase in the baseline weekly sales. It will not be a Halo in the U.S. to carry the system on its solo strength, but rather serve to remind the expanded audience that the Wii is still out there.

AniHawk

pseudocaesar said:
Personally, I think you might be overestimating Resort. To me, it looks as though the appeal will be to previous Wii owners that already have Wii Sports.
I wouldnt buy a brand new console for a sequel to a game ive never played.

Yeah, I can imagine coming into Wii Sports Resort, having no idea what to do. Is the red guy the villain? What did he do? How did everyone get swords now? It would be very confusing.

Or

pseudocaesar said:
I wouldnt buy a brand new console for a sequel to a game ive never played.

Yet you're banking on Gran Turismo 5 and FFXIII. Mmmkay.

donny2112

donny2112 said:

Actually looking at Nintendo's schedule, last year they had a financial release and then a briefing the next day. This year, they only mention the financial release. Maybe there won't be a briefing. :/

d[-_-]b

Banned
donny2112 said:
What do you think the factors will be for the 2-3x, mainly Wii Sports Resort or is other releases like MH3 being factored in? Is it even slated for this year?

JoJo13

Banned
d[-_-]b said:
What do you think the factors will be for the 2-3x, mainly Wii Sports Resort or is other releases like MH3 being factored in? Is it even slated for this year?

I guess it's just wishful thinking on his part but there is absolutely no way that the Wii sells 2-3x the combined PS360 sales, especially when the PS3 alone already has the lead for most of the first half of the year.

donny2112

d[-_-]b said:

Stuff we don't know about, yet. I guess you could call it Secret Wii Game.

It stems from a belief that Nintendo are not incompetent morons with the only major release for the rest of the year being Wii Sports Resort. I had previously speculated on More Wii Fit, and now Wii Fit Plus seems to be coming out. I'm expecting more Balance Board compatible games from Nintendo, something like a Dragon Quest: Swords 2 with Motion+, and probably an announcement of the next Zelda for Wii, though that's probably not coming out this year.

Edit:
Link for reference

JoJo13

Banned
donny2112 said:
Stuff we don't know about, yet. I guess you could call it Secret Wii Game.

It stems from a belief that Nintendo are not incompetent morons with the only major release for the rest of the year being Wii Sports Resort. I had previously speculated on More Wii Fit, and now Wii Fit Plus seems to be coming out. I'm expecting more Balance Board compatible games from Nintendo, something like a Dragon Quest: Swords 2 with Motion+, and probably an announcement of the next Zelda for Wii, though that's probably not coming out this year.

The problem is that the Wii's phenomenal surge in sales (thanks to expanding new markets) has essentially saturated, to an extent.

Simply churning out sequels to the titles that originally sold lots of hadware (but now CURRENTLY fail to sell hardware) won't be the tectonic shift that the originals were. Will they sell some hardware? Sure...Will they sell some software? Sure...

Will they push systems anywhere near at the levels their predecessors did? No way. Unless Nintendo comes out with yet another title that breaks boundaries for certain demographics (like Wii Fit), don't expect any miracles for the Wii's situation in Japan this year.

AniHawk

JoJo13 said:
The problem is that the Wii's phenomenal surge in sales (thanks to expanding new markets) has essentially saturated, to an extent.

Simply churning out sequels to the titles that originally sold lots of hadware (but now CURRENTLY fail to sell hardware) won't be the tectonic shift that the originals were. Will they sell some hardware? Sure...Will they sell some software? Sure...

Will they push systems anywhere near at the levels their predecessors did? No way. Unless Nintendo comes out with yet another title that breaks boundaries for certain demographics (like Wii Fit), don't expect any miracles for the Wii's situation in Japan this year.

The thing is, Wii Sports Resort is a game more in line with Wii Fit than Wii Music. It's one of those things that you can only play with the new peripheral. Also, the games that used to sell the system, but don't anymore (Wii Sports and Wii Fit) are one and a half to three years old. You have to expect their selling power to die off at some point. It's not like people buy the DS for Brain Training anymore.

JoJo13

Banned
AniHawk said:
The thing is, Wii Sports Resort is a game more in line with Wii Fit than Wii Music. It's one of those things that you can only play with the new peripheral. Also, the games that used to sell the system, but don't anymore (Wii Sports and Wii Fit) are one and a half to three years old. You have to expect their selling power to die off at some point. It's not like people buy the DS for Brain Training anymore.

But it's really not in line with Wii Fit because Wii Fit was basically establishing a new genre and market for console gaming.

Wii Sports Resort is more of an expansion of Wii Sports, which sold well on its waggle novelty; why would Wii Sports Resort push hardware NOW (and for a long time after its launch) when Wii Sports 1 has currently lost its steam?

d[-_-]b

Banned
donny2112 said:
* Mario Party 9 with Balance Board support

Suprised Mario Party 9 hasn't come out already since 8 was a million seller..
There was a year gap between 5,6,7

JoJo13 said:
But it's really not in line with Wii Fit because Wii Fit was basically establishing a new genre and market for console gaming.

Wii Sports Resort is more of an expansion of Wii Sports, which sold well on its waggle novelty; why would Wii Sports Resort push hardware NOW (and for a long time after its launch) when Wii Sports 1 has currently lost its steam?
33./37. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo) Still selling after 2 years and 5-6 months
Code:
2006-12-02 90 Wii Play 2,618,189
2006-12-02 91 Wii Sports 3,433,860 
2007-12-01 2674 Wii Fit 3,291,223

AniHawk

JoJo13 said:

Because I don't think Nintendo will market it as an expansion of Wii Sports. I think they're going to market this as the next step forward.

donny2112

AniHawk said:
Because I don't think Nintendo will market it as an expansion of Wii Sports.

Good, because I want them to save that for an actual sequel/expansion to Wii Sports. :D

AniHawk said:
I think they're going to market this as the next step forward.

As long as they advertise it hard, it should serve the purpose of renewing interest in the Wii. I think making Wiimote + Motion+ the standard would be good for the whole system, too. :)

markatisu

AniHawk said:
Because I don't think Nintendo will market it as an expansion of Wii Sports. I think they're going to market this as the next step forward.

Exactly, if the push in the US and EU is any indication it is going to be pushed as the new way to control your games NOT a sequel to Wii Sports.

The problem with predicting how it will do in Japan is based solely on the fact there are no real JP oriented/ip games that rely on M+, which is not the case for the US and EU.

Dragon

Banned
donny2112 said:

That's not irony as far as I understand the word. I'm not sure what your point is. I'm not sure what point you thought I was making but it certainly wasn't that the PS3 was going to continue to outsell the Wii. It was the damage control for what it's already done.

donny2112 said:

Well I think the PS3 would outsell the Wii this year based on test_account suggested hypothetical situation of GT5, FFXIII and a price drop this year, coupled with ToV 1.5, Tekken 6, End of Eternity, Katamari, etc...which should help the system maintain some decent weekly numbers. I think the PS3 could outsell the Wii if that was the case, of course this is all hypothetical and it will all depend on when the big games for Wii and PS3 drop and if the Wii will get a price drop of its own.

I do disagree with your assessment of WSR being more of a system seller than FFXIII though, I think it'll appeal mainly to its existing userbase. I think MH3 and Samurai Warriors 3 will be more of a system seller than WSR. And Wii sell 2-3x greater than PS360 for the year in JP? You must be expecting some really huge things for the Wii this year and some mediocre things for the PS360 this year.

EDIT: Just thought about this, you know how it's rumored that the 360 and PS3 will have some waggle shit at E3? What if they finally do this year? Will that spike sales for the consoles in JP?

mujun said:
his playstation goggles cloud his reasoning.

You know, its actually really annoying when people like you just resort to the 'hes a fanboy, hes wrong" line as you have nothing useful to contribute. Whats so hard for you to swallow about me thinking GT5, FFXIII and a price cut will get the PS3 YTD above the Wii's. Its complete speculation on my behalf, so you all need to stop taking it so fucking seriously.

Top Bottom