• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: April 20-26

AniHawk

pseudocaesar said:
You know, its actually really annoying when people like you just resort to the 'hes a fanboy, hes wrong" line as you have nothing useful to contribute. Whats so hard for you to swallow about me thinking GT5, FFXIII and a price cut will get the PS3 YTD above the Wii's. Its complete speculation on my behalf, so you all need to stop taking it so fucking seriously.

Seriously guys, stop taking things so fucking seriously or I'm going to get mad and swear some more.

AranhaHunter said:
EDIT: Just thought about this, you know how it's rumored that the 360 and PS3 will have some waggle shit at E3? What if they finally do this year? Will that spike sales for the consoles in JP?

I think it would. Depends on the software though. It can't be bowling, tennis, and baseball again.

mujun

pseudocaesar said:
You know, its actually really annoying when people like you just resort to the 'hes a fanboy, hes wrong" line as you have nothing useful to contribute. Whats so hard for you to swallow about me thinking GT5, FFXIII and a price cut will get the PS3 YTD above the Wii's. Its complete speculation on my behalf, so you all need to stop taking it so fucking seriously.

i never called you a fanboy.

also dont be surprised if you come across as a fan of the ps3 because your posts in this thread suggest that you have some personal and emotional investment in the sales of the ps3 in japan.

if you work for them, own stock in the company or have a bet with your mates im sorry for jumping to an incorrect conclusion!

mujun said:

also dont be surprised if you come across as a fan of the ps3 because your posts in this thread suggest that you have some personal and emotional investment in the sales of the ps3 in japan.

if you work for them, own stock in the company or have a bet with your mates im sorry for jumping to an incorrect conclusion!

you seem to be a bigger fanboy than him though. How much stock do you own?

AniHawk

AranhaHunter said:
What else could there be beside golf and boxing? And those are all on Wii Sports IIRC.

I'm not sure. But maybe if Sony published it under their Everybody/Hot Shots line, it might do pretty well.

AniHawk said:
I'm not sure. But maybe if Sony published it under their Everybody/Hot Shots line, it might do pretty well.

IDK, HSG5 and HSGP2 didn't do as well as their previous iterations.

I was thinking more of MS releases a "XBox Sports" and Sony releases a "PS Sports", that might do well I think

mujun said:

Ah thats cool, I do have a bit of personal investment in the sales of the PS3. In that I am sick of this stigma of being a PS3 owner that everyone seems to have against us. I only own a PSP and PS3, and I do want the PS3 to succeed, as I, as the consumer, reap the benefits in the form of better support and content. Its not as though I want the other consoles to fail, and have not said anything like that in this thread or any others. Quite simply, im a Sony supporter and want to see it do well. I dont think im a fanboy, but I'll obviously get labelled as such by alot of people.

AranhaHunter said:
IDK, HSG5 and HSGP2 didn't do as well as their previous iterations.

I was thinking more of MS releases a "XBox Sports" and Sony releases a "PS Sports", that might do well I think

You would have to laugh at such shamelessness on Sony and MS behalf if they did.

mujun

pseudocaesar said:
I dont think im a fanboy, but I'll obviously get labelled as such by alot of people.

for me its not about being a dick its about knowing you are a dick and being happy to be one.

you score points in my book for understanding that you may come across as a fanboy but can deal with that because you are happy to be a sony centric gamer.

demonswordsman on the other hand just wants to draw lines in the sand.

@demonswordsman please show me exactly where ive been a fanboy. if you show me something fanboyish ill cop to it and give you credit where its due. otherwise i hope you are big enough to admit to being nothing more than an instigator.

mujun said:
for me its not about being a dick its about knowing you are a dick and being happy to be one.

you score points in my book for understanding that you may come across as a fanboy but can deal with that because you are happy to be a sony centric gamer.

demonswordsman on the other hand just wants to draw lines in the sand.

@demonswordsman please show me exactly where ive been a fanboy. if you show me something fanboyish ill cop to it and give you credit where its due. otherwise i hope you are big enough to admit to being nothing more than an instigator.

OK, but I dont see the need to be called a Dick and being happy to be one. Thats not what im doing at all.

mujun

pseudocaesar said:
OK, but I dont see the need to be called a Dick and being happy to be one. Thats not what im doing at all.

i wasnt calling you a dick that was just my example. i should have made it clear what i was getting at.

its like this good mate i have, hes pretty shallow and lives for picking up girls but he is totally happy with that and well aware of what type of person he is. i can respect that completely. its people who delude themselves and try to delude others that need to be called out imo.

mujun said:
i wasnt calling you a dick that was just my example. i should have made it clear what i was getting at.

its like this good mate i have, hes pretty shallow and lives for picking up girls but he is totally happy with that and well aware of what type of person he is. i can respect that completely. its people who delude themselves and try to delude others that need to be called out imo.

Fair call. Anyway epic thread derail.

Aru

Hcoregamer00 said:
The success of the anime "aka the Faces of Alicia" may mean that it will get a sequel.

7970a5a1.jpg

The question is whether it will be for the PS3, or it will be released on another platform.

I would even take an anime sequel actually :lol

I hope for a PS3 sequel alongside a season 2 airing of the show, that would boost sales immensely. I dont want to have to buy a different system to play the sequel though (I will if i have too)

Vinci

Danish
donny2112 said:
Stuff we don't know about, yet. I guess you could call it Secret Wii Game.

It stems from a belief that Nintendo are not incompetent morons with the only major release for the rest of the year being Wii Sports Resort.

I hold this belief as well. Not surprising, I know.

Aru

pseudocaesar said:
I hope for a PS3 sequel alongside a season 2 airing of the show, that would boost sales immensely. I dont want to have to buy a different system to play the sequel though (I will if i have too)

Well, the only system I don't have is PC (and I really doubt they make a sequel PC exclusive). So whatever system they choose, I am sure that I can play the game.
I hope they don't go the DS route though.

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
Yes. Wii Sports Resort will do more to push hardware through general increase in awareness of the Wii in Japan than FFXIII will for the PS3. The major difference there is that Wii Sports Resort will raise Wii's baseline (like Brain Training did for DS in 2005) while FFXIII will cause a severe spike before pretty quickly falling back to pre-FFXIII levels, if it even comes out this year. From looking at the hardware sales with the FFXIII demo release, I've started considering two ideas.

1) FFXIII will do much better than I thought it would. Why? MGS4. MGS4 is a hardcore userbase that despite being on a lesser userbase, still bought the game in comparable levels even though the 1st week % was the highest for the series. The immediate increase in PS3 hardware for ACC w/ FFXIII demo followed by the severe drop the following week reminds me almost exactly of what happened at MGS4's release. I've also been saying (and continue to say) for a while that FFXIII will likely do 80% of its LTD in the 1st week based on the past FF mainline games. I had been saying that 1st week would be 1 million, but based on MGS4 working out so well, I'm starting to think 1.5 million might be more reasonable.

2) FFXIII will do nothing to increase PS3's hardware sales longterm. Why? Every other <insert game>-bump and especially MGS4. The affect of the MGS4 bump was gone in six weeks, and then the PS3 continued to drop from there. I'm not sure how big the FFXIII bump itself will be (maybe 100K?), but as the game will have no legs, the hardware increase won't be sustained, either. It won't be enough to overcome the normal increase that Nintendo consoles and the generational leader have in the Fall, much less the overall increase from the games Nintendo continues to keep close to its chest (e.g. Wii Fit+).

Price drop and GT5 are TBD for 2009, but, no, I still don't think they'd make PS3 > Wii YTD.
I agree that Wii Sports Resort have a bigger chance of moving more hardware than Final Fantasy 13 in long terms, but as pseudocaesar said, it might be that WSR appeals mostly to the people who already own a Wii. I am not saying that this will be the case, but i could see it as a possible senario. WSR does come with Motion+ though, so maybe this will be a factor that makes the Wii hardware sales increase more compared to if just WSR was released without Motion+.

donny2112 said:
Nintendo's FY conference is May 7. I expect them to discuss new titles for the next Fiscal Year there to support their planned console shipments for the year. Probably not everything, but we should get something significant from that. :)
Ah ok, cool, i didnt know about that, thanks for the info :) Maybe we will get some more info the upcomming Wii titles then :)

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
donny2112 said:
2) FFXIII will do nothing to increase PS3's hardware sales longterm.
True.
However things like price drop, new hw-design and returning of PS2 BC should - and I am betting at least 2 of the 3 will happen before FFXIII is released.

Jokeropia

test_account said:
Although every company want their products to sell at their current price and that they dont really want to lower the prices, i am under the impression that Nintendo has a much strickter price drop policy than what Sony has.
Nintendo will drop the price if they feel that they need it, and they are in a much better position profit-wise to do so than Sony.

Defuser

Jokeropia said:
Nintendo will drop the price if they feel that they need it, and they are in a much better position profit-wise to do so than Sony.
They're forever will be in a better position profit wise since the gamecube days :lol

test_account

XP-39C²
Jokeropia said:
That is true, but Iwata said something about that dropping the price on the hardware wasnt really a good business model:

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=27363

He is most likely talking about planing price cuts in advance though, but what Iwata said here make me belive that Nintendo have a much strickter price drop policy compared to Microsoft and Sony.

I also think that PS3's price is holding back the sales more compared to how the Wii's price is holding back sales. I think that Nintendo will release some different colors and perhaps doing some hardware+game(s) bundle solution first before they drop the price :)

Jokeropia

Defuser said:
They're forever will be in a better position profit wise since the gamecube days :lol
To a certain extent, but they're in a much better position this gen than last while Sony is in a much worse position.
test_account said:
That is true, but Iwata said something about that dropping the price on the hardware wasnt really a good business model:

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=27363
Literally what he's saying is that if you're in a position that you need to drop the price, you've done something wrong, and he doesn't foresee Nintendo being in such a position in this (last) fiscal year. However, that doesn't mean that they won't drop the price should they end up needing it. It's a new fiscal year now.
test_account said:
I also think that PS3's price is holding back the sales more compared to how the Wii's price is holding back sales.
It depends. Both are within mass market pricing in Japan, and Nintendo could afford dropping it to an absurd degree if they really needed it. I don't think they will, I'm just saying that unlike Sony, Nintendo will never be in the position where they'd like to drop the price but simply cannot afford to.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jokeropia said:
To a certain extent, but they're in a much better position this gen than last while Sony is in a much worse position.
Ye, but even if Nintendo is in a much better position to drop the price, i would still be very surprised if i see a Wii price cut before a PS3 price cut to be honest. I think it is more likely that Sony would drop the price on the PS3 before Nintendo does it on the Wii, but who knows :)

2vceq8g.png

donny2112 said:
I've also been saying (and continue to say) for a while that FFXIII will likely do 80% of its LTD in the 1st week based on the past FF mainline games. I had been saying that 1st week would be 1 million, but based on MGS4 working out so well, I'm starting to think 1.5 million might be more reasonable.
So you're thinking 1.875M-ish LTD?

Jokeropia

test_account said:
Ye, but even if Nintendo is in a much better position to drop the price, i would still be very surprised if i see a Wii price cut before a PS3 price cut to be honest. I think it is more likely that Sony would drop the price on the PS3 before Nintendo does it on the Wii, but who knows :)
Certainly Sony needs a price drop much more than Nintendo, and are therefore more likely to employ one first. However, should such a pricedrop put Nintendo in the position that they need one as well (in Japan), they will have no problems matching it and then some.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jokeropia said:
Certainly Sony needs a price drop much more than Nintendo, and are therefore more likely to employ one first. However, should such a pricedrop put Nintendo in the position that they need one as well (in Japan), they will have no problems matching it and then some.
That is true, but what about in 2009?

test_account

XP-39C²
Pureauthor said:
...What about it? I'm sorry, what does the year have to do with anything?
The discussion was about if the PS3 could outsell the Wii in 2009, and if Sony was more likely to get a pricecut than Nintendo. If Sony drops the price on the PS3, then the PS3 hardware sale can get increased, which could give the PS3 a chance to outsell the Wii in 2009. Not just a price cut alone though, but in addition to Final Fantasy 13 and maybe Gran Turismo 5 as well :)

test_account said:
The discussion was about if the PS3 could outsell the Wii in 2009, and if Sony was more likely to get a pricecut than Nintendo in 2009 :)

Well, I'm not too sure those two are related, because the effects of price cuts tend to level off at a slightly higher level than before the price cut.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jokeropia said:
My statement applies to 2009 just as well as any other year in the foreseeable future.
Yes, but how likely is it that Nintendo drops the price in 2009? Nintendo are surely capable of doing it, and they are probably in a much better position to do it compared to Sony as you say, but how likely is it that Nintendo will drop the price on the Wii in 2009 compared to how likely it is to that Sony will drop the price in 2009?

Pureauthor said:
Well, I'm not too sure those two are related, because the effects of price cuts tend to level off at a slightly higher level than before the price cut.
I edited my previous post abit :) It was not just about a price cut alone, but also about Final Fantasy 13 and Gran Turismo 5 as well, in addition to a PS3 price cut. But i am not making any predictions here, i just wanted to ask if it was unthinkable that the PS3 could have a chance of selling more hardware than the Wii in 2009.

Jokeropia

test_account said:
Yes, but how likely is it that Nintendo drops the price in 2009? Nintendo are surely capable of doing it, and they are probably in a much better position to do it compared to Sony as you say, but how likely is it that Nintendo will drop the price on the Wii in 2009 compared to how likely it is to that Sony will drop the price in 2009?)
It all depends on whether they will need a price drop to maintain their dominance or not. PS3 dropping in price could increase the likelihood of this.

pseudocaesar said:
Whats so hard for you to swallow about me thinking GT5, FFXIII and a price cut will get the PS3 YTD above the Wii's.

I don't want to play the "who is/is not a fanboy" game, I just don't think your reasoning makes sense. FFXIII is the definition of a spike game -- everyone who buys a PS3 for it will buy it the week the game comes out, because pretty much everyone who buys the game at all will buy it the week it comes out. And because the game has been promised for so long, and is almost certainly the biggest exclusive the system has in Japan, plenty of people have already bought a system for it.

If Wii Sports Resort is literally Nintendo's only product for the rest of the year, I agree it won't do much, but -- even though Nintendo makes it increasingly hard to do so -- I'm going to assume that they're not complete idiots and that therefore they do, in fact, have an actual lineup of software on tap for the year.

pseudocaesar said:

I could imagine an (extreeeeemely hypothetical) Valkyria sequel going multiplat, but there's no way it wouldn't see a PS3 release.

Fafalada said:
True.
However things like price drop, new hw-design and returning of PS2 BC should - and I am betting at least 2 of the 3 will happen before FFXIII is released.

I don't know why you would make that bet. The price drop is pretty much certain, but a hardware redesign this year is pretty unlikely and PS2 BC returning is a pipedream.

(Unless you're secretly saying you think FFXIII still won't be out until like late 2010 or something, hohoho.)

test_account said:
Yes, but how likely is it that Nintendo drops the price in 2009? Nintendo are surely capable of doing it, and they are probably in a much better position to do it compared to Sony as you say, but how likely is it that Nintendo will drop the price on the Wii in 2009 compared to how likely it is to that Sony will drop the price in 2009?

You can't measure these in a vacuum. If Sony decides to drop their price, that affects the math on whether Nintendo drops their price.

d+pad

Random thought about the prospects of Wii Sports Resort, which has been alluded to elsewhere in this thread: The appearance of WSR could prompt people who haven't bought a Wii to re-consider that decision, given their knowledge of Wii Sports, Wii Fit, etc. Maybe they didn't bite the bullet when either of those games were released, but the presence of WSR will cause them to do it now (when the game is released).

Another way of saying the same thing: WSR's release causes people to pay attention to the Wii in a way they haven't in quite some time (maybe since the release of Wii Fit).

I'm not saying this is how it's going to go down - I'm completely unsure of the game's sales and its ability to spur HW sales - but it's definitely a possibility...

kswiston

donny2112 said:
Oh, and again for the record, I think the Wii will sell 2-3x the PS360 total in Japan YTD. :p

Media Create 2008 Hardware Sales (not counting the week ending Jan 04, 2009)

NDS - 3,946,585
PSP - 3,693,026
WII - 2,862,818
PS3 - 980,797
360 - 322,097

Wii sales = 2.2x PS360 sales for 2008

Considering Wii hardware sales are already down close to 800k from last year, and that PS360 are 200k up from last year (based on JJS's post above), I think it will be hard for the Wii to pull off 2x the PS360 this time around.

EDIT 2: Fixed for media create number to avoid mixing trackers

doicare

This has been a fun thread, all i'm going to say is from the pre order numbers i've seen for wii sports resort it isn't going to be much of a hardware booster in japan. Monster hunter 3 is chugging along nicely tho.

Spiegel

doicare said:
This has been a fun thread, all i'm going to say is from the pre order numbers i've seen for wii sports resort it isn't going to be much of a hardware booster in japan. Monster hunter 3 is chugging along nicely tho.

People who buy Wii Sports Resort-type of games don't do preorders

kswiston

Following up on my last post:

Wii sales need to average 68.9k per week for the remaining 35 weeks of 2009 to match the 2008 hardware totals. For the last 35 weeks of 2008, Wii sales averaged 46.4k.

- 2009 Wii sales need to increase by 48% over 2008 numbers for the last 35 weeks of the year to match last year's YTD.

PS360 sales need to average 18.7k per week for the remaining 35 weeks of 2009 to match the 2008 hardware totals. For the last 35 weeks of 2008, PS360 sales averaged 24.8k.

- 2009 PS360 sales can drop 24.6% over 2008 numbers for the last 35 weeks of the year and still match 2008's YTD.

So basically, Wii sales need to increase by close to 50% and PS360 sales need to decrease by close to 25% in order to repeat 2008's Wii = 2.2x PS360.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
kswiston said:
PS360 sales need to average 18.7k per week for the remaining 35 weeks of 2009 to match the 2008 hardware totals. For the last 35 weeks of 2008, PS360 sales averaged 24.8k.

..and I think that is distinctly possible. The HD release schedule is pretty much barren for the next couple of months. Also, 2008 PS3 will be getting the MGS4 bump in June

doicare said:

I'm sure you've popped up in one of these threads before with comments on (unsourced) pre-order numbers. What pre-order numbers have you seen for the two titles, and can you point us to them?

schuelma

Cosmonaut X said:
I'm sure you've popped up in one of these threads before with comments on (unsourced) pre-order numbers. What pre-order numbers have you seen for the two titles, and can you point us to them?

I can't wait for this :lol

Spiegel

schuelma said:
..and I think that is distinctly possible. The HD release schedule is pretty much barren for the next couple of months. Also, 2008 PS3 will be getting the MGS4 bump in June

Even with the MGS4 bump, I don't see 2009 PS3 falling behind 2008 PS3. 2009 has an advantage of 92k and - slowly but surely - it's going to grow each week until the MGS4 week.

Also, X360 was selling 2k by this time last year

schuelma

Spiegel said:
Even with the MGS4 bump, I don't see 2009 PS3 falling behind 2008 PS3. 2009 has an advantage of 92k and - slowly but surely - it's going to grow each week until the MGS4 week.

Guess it depends on how far it falls back to 10K levels. I think it might be soon, but if it can hang at 15K or so for a while then yeah it could stay ahead.

doicare said:

I knew I'd seen you post here before along a similar line and a quick search has turned up:

doicare - 01 25 2009 said:
I've managed to get my hands on some pre order numbers for japan (don't ask), now i can't give away the exact numbers but i thought i'd share what i can, in the what i call the everything compared to dragon quest 9 list:

Dragon Quest 9 4.5x > Yakuza 3
Dragon Quest 9 5x > Resident Evil 5 (PS3)
Dragon Quest 9 12x > Star Ocean 4
Dragon Quest 9 17x > Street Fighter 4 (PS3)
Dragon Quest 9 35x > Resident Evil 5 (XBOX360)

...and:

doicare - 01 25 2009 said:
The bottom line is i know people who work in the industry and they have either direct or indirect access to various sales numbers. Add to that i know other people who are interested in sales numbers and they have there own people that they know who work for gaming companies who give them different stats and numbers.

I have to say tho it's pretty sad that people on the internet want to call bullshit when i and others post numbers, it was the same deal when i posted about how well Little Big Planet was selling, i just got a load of sh*t thrown my way. I'm doing something nice for people who are interested in numbers and if certain people want to act like dicks about it then i won't bother posting any stats and they can just wait weeks, months or for never to get the numbers.

...and a word of warning from duckroll:

duckroll - 01 25 2009 said:
I don't care if you work in the industry or if you're just making shit up. Sales-age doesn't care for "insider" info without a source especially with nonsensical comparisons like "x1.5 DQIX". It's useless for discussion. Either stop posting crap like that or post proper numbers with a specific source, otherwise if you continue doing this you'll be banned.

Fancy sharing a proper source this time?

doicare

Spiegel said:
People who buy Wii Sports Resort-type of games don't do preorders
True to some extent, but lets put it this way, pre order numbers of wii sports resort in the uk are doing very well unlike the japanese numbers so far.
Cosmonaut X said:
The last time i tried to be nice and give some hint to the numbers i was attacked by a bunch of posters so i won't be posting any specific numbers again and given the the nature of these numbers i'd have to be very stupid to give away my source and get them into trouble.
schuelma said:
I can't wait for this :lol
[Insert equally stupid comment here]

duckroll

So why bother posting? It should be clear to you that no one here is interested in anything that cannot be sourced.

Top Bottom