• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: April 20-26

ElyrionX

It's nice to see the PS3 finally consistently outselling the Wii in Japan. About damn time the Japanese get on the HD bandwagon.

DKJB79

Nintendo needs big guns for WII and killer DS games...

wii price drop and big names will help at the end of the year.

Nice for PS3, it's the beginning of a new trend for Sony's console.

lo zaffo

I'm intrigued by DQ x arguing: my theory is that S-E doesn't care if the game will be rushed, Nintendo won't either and agree to have it on shelved as soon as possible as to switch to new hardware, they both know this DQ will be a transition one, because market is not stable, they want DQ to grow in West market, etc. and they don't care if it flop as long as Nintendo home consoles are not perceived like jRPG playground. All eyes are on DQ ix, some says it will sell 10 millions in JPN, it's huge number ... But what if DQ x is developed by Tokyo EAD team and it reuse Super Mario Galaxy 3D engine ???:D

I hope their is a price drop at E3, really, just to see the weekly sales jump and stay up. Coupled with FFXIII then bam PS3 outselling Wii YTD becomes a reailty.

Wollan

pseudocaesar said:
I hope their is a price drop at E3, really, just to see the weekly sales jump and stay up. Coupled with FFXIII then bam PS3 outselling Wii YTD becomes a reailty.
I'm interested to see if December becomes a FFXIII / Gran Turismo 5 dual month.
Pretty much the two biggest releases I could see for the console in Japan of any year and if (the rumors are true) they will both land in the midst of this holiday season (presumably after a price drop).

Jokeropia

ElyrionX said:
It's nice to see the PS3 finally consistently outselling the Wii in Japan. About damn time the Japanese get on the HD bandwagon.
Despite their best efforts during the last two months (FFXIII demo/FFVII:AC console bundle being the last one), Japan did not jump on the HD bandwagon and instead seems to have jumped off the console bandwagon altogether.

In the upcoming months we'll see if the Wii's best efforts can do something to change it.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ElyrionX said:

I think its more that they've (temporarily at least) moved off the Wii one.

wrowa

ElyrionX said:
Get on the HD bandwagon? The PS3 sales numbers are still far from good. It's just that the Wii pulls abysmal numbers week by week. But that doesn't make the sales of the PS3 any better.

jeremy1456 said:
Dragon Quest X would make them more money than any other game they could make.
For sure. But in the end it is not their decision whether or not they'll develop DQX. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the series changes the developer again after episode IX (actually, I really expect this to happen). For example, I could imagine that DQX will be developed as a collaboration between SE and Nintendo at Genius Sonority.

donny2112

ElyrionX said:
It's nice to see the PS3 finally consistently outselling the Wii in Japan. About ... time the Japanese get on the HD bandwagon.

But ... they're not. [face_confused]

DKJB79 said:
Nice for PS3, it's the end of a new trend for Sony's console.

Fixed.

What is with people thinking that now that the PS3 has ended its string of big games, that now is the beginning?

pseudocaesar said:

:lol

smh. It's an epidemic! :lol

The real question is how big would the PS3's install base have to be before making Japanese PS3 games makes any sense.

Certainly something as big or bigger than the US+EU PS3 install base, right? Arguably it should be as big or bigger than the US+EU PS3 and 360 install bases combined.

I doubt Japan is big enough to support HD games that aren't likely to sell elsewhere. Of course the way thing are now I doubt that there has been a single PS3 game that made a profit just on Japanese sales.

Spiegel

lowlylowlycook said:
The real question is how big would the PS3's install base have to be before making Japanese PS3 games makes any sense.

Certainly something as big or bigger than the US+EU PS3 install base, right?

I doubt Japan is big enough to support HD games that aren't likely to sell elsewhere. Of course the way thing are now I doubt that there has been a single PS3 game that made a profit just on Japanese sales.

Yakuza 3 must be making a profit now (a Sega executive said that the game broke even some weeks ago) so the budget re-release certainly will be pure profit for them.

gkryhewy

Jokeropia said:
Despite their best efforts during the last two months (FFXIII demo/FFVII:AC console bundle being the last one), Japan did not jump on the HD bandwagon and instead seems to have jumped off the console bandwagon altogether.

This is the correct conclusion.

kswiston

lo zaffo said:
I'm intrigued by DQ x arguing: my theory is that S-E doesn't care if the game will be rushed, Nintendo won't either and agree to have it on shelved as soon as possible as to switch to new hardware, they both know this DQ will be a transition one, because market is not stable, they want DQ to grow in West market, etc. and they don't care if it flop as long as Nintendo home consoles are not perceived like jRPG playground. All eyes are on DQ ix, some says it will sell 10 millions in JPN, it's huge number ... But what if DQ x is developed by Tokyo EAD team and it reuse Super Mario Galaxy 3D engine ???:D

I'm not sure what you are trying to say for most of this, but no one seriously expects DQIX to sell 10 million copies. At least no one credible. I think 3.5M is a good target, with anything over 4M being an amazing performance.

As for Level 5, I wouldn't be surprised if they make more from each of their Layton games than they did from DQVIII. Square Enix is going to keep the lion's share of the profits for the DQ games. With Layton, L5 is the publisher and doesn't have to split the rewards.

D.Lo

ElyrionX said:
You gotta be kidding me.

This is what drives N people crazy. Nintendo fans (myself included) openly admit the Wii's market failings in Japan, and elsewhere when relevant.

But a few weeks of (relatively) HUGE HD guns and absolutely nothing for the Wii, from Nintendo themselves but particularly from 3rd parties who appear to have shafted the platform permanenly for no good reason (as donny has pointed out, if it's for 'HD vision' then why make portable games, and if Japan has become portable nation then why the big budget HD games with Japan only appeal).

After all that the PS3 is a sliver ahead of Wii YTD. And yet HD has now somehow won, and the bandwagon is on, despite that being the end of the dream run (ie having as good as possible for a while while the Wii was weakest).

Has not the fact that the Wii is FIVE FREAKING MILLION AHEAD shifted the goalposts from 'win a few weeks' for these people?

D.Lo said:
You gotta be kidding me.

This is what drives N people crazy. Nintendo fans (myself included) openly admit the Wii's market failings in Japan, and elsewhere when relevant.

But a few weeks of (relatively) HUGE HD guns and absolutely nothing for the Wii, from Nintendo themselves but particularly from 3rd parties who appear to have shafted the platform permanenly for no good reason (as donny has pointed out, if it's for 'HD vision' then why make portable games, and if Japan has become portable nation then why the big budget HD games with Japan only appeal).

After all that the PS3 is a sliver ahead of Wii YTD. And yet HD has now somehow won, and the bandwagon is on, despite that being the end of the dream run (ie having as good as possible for a while while the Wii was weakest).

Has not the fact that the Wii is FIVE FREAKING MILLION AHEAD shifted the goalposts from 'win a few weeks' for these people?

Your mistake is to look at this as "whose won?!!" post, when the remark most likely refers to Japan finally accepting next-gen consoles thus meaning more titles will be made for them. I know its hard, this indeed being a Sales Age thread itself, but your post there is a prime candidate for the belief half of you dont even play games anymore, just evangelise sales data.

SecretBonusPoint said:
Your mistake is to look at this as "whose won?!!" post, when the remark most likely refers to Japan finally accepting next-gen consoles thus meaning more titles will be made for them. I know its hard, this indeed being a Sales Age thread itself, but your post there is a prime candidate for the belief half of you dont even play games anymore, just evangelise sales data.
Your mistake is thinking that Japan accepted the HD twins.

Defuser

Spiegel said:
Yakuza 3 must be making a profit now (a Sega executive said that the game broke even some weeks ago) so the budget re-release certainly will be pure profit for them.
All the more they should release to the West!!!

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
smh. It's an epidemic! :lol
Is it really that unthinkable that the PS3 could sell more hardware than the Wii in 2009 in Japan if the PS3 gets a pricedrop, Gran Turismo 5 and Final Fantasy 13 within 2009?

lowlylowlycook said:

Certainly something as big or bigger than the US+EU PS3 install base, right? Arguably it should be as big or bigger than the US+EU PS3 and 360 install bases combined.

Isnt the PS3 installbase in US+EU around 20 million? And the US+EU PS3 and Xbox 360 installbase is something around 40-50 million? If so, i dont think the PS3 install base needs to be that big in Japan for the developers to make PS3 games. Or are you taking the number of people into concideration (about 1 billion people in US+EU, and about 120-130 million people in Japan)?

Link

The Autumn Wind
lowlylowlycook said:

The PS3 already gets much bigger, better Japanese support than the Wii. Most Japanese developers seem to focus on western sales.

mujun

pseudocaesar said:

yay! ill be able to sleep nights again.

Tabris said:
Can I post in media create yet?

Come on, you guys must be bored just agreeing with yourselfs :p

Eh, there has been a lot of "controversy" in these past few months. With the Wii doing shitty and the PS3 doing slightly less shitty with a good line-up. The PSP and the DSi just keep switching places week to week.

lo zaffo said:

I don't think anyone is crazy enough to say that DQIX will sell 10 million in JP alone

Eteric Rice

lo zaffo said:

I don't even know what you're trying to say here. Can you clarify?

LOL @ Sony fans...

All Nintendo has to do is release a new color for their Wii and it'd effectively offset whatever momentum PS3 gained from all those AAA titles released earlier this year.

Nintendo doesn't even need to drop the price. :lol

apujanata

test_account said:
Is it really that unthinkable that the PS3 could sell more hardware than the Wii in 2009 in Japan if the PS3 gets a pricedrop, Gran Turismo 5 and Final Fantasy 13 within 2009?

When you do the scenario of " PS3 gets a pricedrop, Gran Turismo 5 and Final Fantasy 13 within 2009", had you considered the possibility of "Wii gets a pricedrop/new colors, Wii Sports Resort became a very big hit, like Wii Sports, and third party starting to release more games in 2009" scenario for Wii ?

I mean, both Sony and Nintendo repeatedly stated that there will be no price cut in 2009. If Sony can lie, why not Nintendo ? Just because Nintendo isn't bleeding money ?
If you THINK that GT5 and FF13 can be released in 2009, it should be also possible for WSR to be as big as Wii Sports, and/or 3rd party releasing significantly more games in 2009 compared to 2008.

If both things happen, who do you think will come up on top ? Wii or PS3 ?

Rolf NB

Eteric Rice said:
I don't even know what you're trying to say here. Can you clarify?
I was confused as well until I saw the green grin smiley, the surefire sign that he doesn't even care himself.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
NintendosBooger said:
LOL @ Sony fans...

All Nintendo has to do is release a new color for their Wii and it'd effectively offset whatever momentum PS3 gained from all those AAA titles released earlier this year.

That would solve all their software issues too! /sarcasm

gkryhewy

Facism said:
Console manufacturers must love the PR employees they don't have to pay.

And the free hive mind marketing!

24fxun4.jpg

Dragon

Banned
D.Lo said:
You gotta be kidding me.

Some Nintendo fans in this thread are also incredibly defensive. The PS3 has outsold the Wii nine weeks in a row. It's a change, no matter whatever reasons you may come up to explain it. Yes it's true the releases are going to dry up. Yes it's true that the Wii hasn't had any big releases recently. Yes it's true the PS3 is barely ahead in YTD and is still far behind overall. That doesn't change the fact that the PS3 has outsold the Wii for nine weeks in a row.

I mean you could explain these things without getting all up in arms. Most people aren't posting to piss you guys off, they're just excited to see some change.

plus they're hd apologists like me!

Dragon

Banned
NintendosBooger said:
LOL @ Sony fans...

I'm not sure what's so hilarious about that. It strikes me as more of an indication of how incredibly bad the console situation is in Japan.

Rolf NB

TheBranca18 said:
Some Nintendo fans in this thread are also incredibly defensive. The PS3 has outsold the Wii nine weeks in a row. It's a change, no matter whatever reasons you may come up to explain it. Yes it's true the releases are going to dry up. Yes it's true that the Wii hasn't had any big releases recently. Yes it's true the PS3 is barely ahead in YTD and is still far behind overall. That doesn't change the fact that the PS3 has outsold the Wii for nine weeks in a row.

I mean you could explain these things without getting all up in arms. Most people aren't posting to piss you guys off, they're just excited to see some change.

plus they're hd apologists like me!
The argument "I understand why change X occured, therefore it's insignificant" comes up a lot in sales age. So meaningless.

Spiegel

Wii is in a hard position right now and I think that WSR, Motion+ or MH3 aren't going to change anything by themselves.

Having so many weeks with sales of 13-15k means that your baseline of consoles sold each week is pretty low (for example "resurrected" consoles like psp were never doing this bad), so big releases are going to bump the sales but in two/three weeks you are back in the mid-10k.

This is not that different of what is happening to Ps3 since its release.

I'll wait until E3 to see if there's a large lineup of motion+ compatible, japanese games because if there isn't massive support I don't see Wii taking off again there.

And on an unrelated note, I find pretty funny how some Wii fans are playing the "wait for X" card now

jeremy1456

Spiegel said:
Wii is in a hard position right now and I think that WSR, Motion+ or MH3 aren't going to change anything by themselves.

Short term Monster Hunter 3 certainly will. It isn't clear whether or not WSR will because it might just be Wii Sports fans buying the game, but we'll see.

Spiegel said:
Having so many weeks with sales of 13-15k means that your baseline of consoles sold each week is pretty low (for example "resurrected" consoles like psp were never doing this bad), so big releases are going to bump the sales but in two/three weeks you are back in the mid-10k.

PSP was routinely in the low 20k regions in 2007 (I believe). It's not that huge of a difference really.

Spiegel said:

Except that Wii games tend to be slow burners where most of PS3 games are extremely front loaded. The Wii's sales problems are really more of a recent problem. It's actually a pretty different landscape.

Spiegel said:
I'll wait until E3 to see if there's a large lineup of motion+ compatible, japanese games because if there isn't massive support I don't see Wii taking off again there.

And on an unrelated note, I find pretty funny how some Wii fans are playing the "wait for X" card now

I would bank more on the October conference, though I'm sure that Nintendo is going to unveil their next big casual game at E3. If it does as well as Wii Fit/Wii Sports then the Wii will be in pretty good shape for quite some time.

I don't get why the 'wait for x' statements are so funny.

farnham

Banned
Spiegel said:
Wii is in a hard position right now
yes but the ps3 and the 360 is still way behind (actually (ps3 + 360) X 2 = wii)

that means consoles in general are fucked in japan.. and the one eyed is still king among the blind

Aru

There's a lot of talking about Valkyria doing well these days.

Any LTD numbers for Japan ?

Can we begin to hope for a sequel ? :D

test_account

XP-39C²
apujanata said:
When you do the scenario of " PS3 gets a pricedrop, Gran Turismo 5 and Final Fantasy 13 within 2009", had you considered the possibility of "Wii gets a pricedrop/new colors, Wii Sports Resort became a very big hit, like Wii Sports, and third party starting to release more games in 2009" scenario for Wii ?

I mean, both Sony and Nintendo repeatedly stated that there will be no price cut in 2009. If Sony can lie, why not Nintendo ? Just because Nintendo isn't bleeding money ?
If you THINK that GT5 and FF13 can be released in 2009, it should be also possible for WSR to be as big as Wii Sports, and/or 3rd party releasing significantly more games in 2009 compared to 2008.
That is true, but who is most likely to cut the price first, Nintendo or Sony? I would guess Sony. Final Fantasy 13 is most likely comming out in winter 2009. Gran Turismo 5 is just a wild guess, but concidering how long this game has been in development now, i think that a 2009 release could be realistic :)

Ye, that is also true, Nintendo can release new colors for the Wii, and Wii Sports Resort and Motion+ can end up moving alot of hardware. The same is it with Monster Hunter 3.

We are almost halfway into 2009, so i dont know how realisticly there is that 3rd party will have too much significantly Wii releases for 2009, but we will see what E3 brings :)

apujanata said:
If both things happen, who do you think will come up on top ? Wii or PS3 ?
Indeed, both things can happend as you say, that is why i wanted to ask if it really is that unthinkable that the PS3 could outsell the Wii in 2009 :) I am not saying that the chances are very high or that it will happend, but is it totally unthinkable and impossible? :)

About predicting who is comming on top, i dont really want to make any predictions on it because several of unpredictable things have happend in this console generation. As you say, both things can happend. I can say that i belive that the Wii has a bigger chance to outsell the PS3 in 2009 though, but i dont know if i want to 100% predict it right now.

EDIT: I forgot to answer on the question if i concidered the possibility that the Wii could get a price drop etc. I didnt think about that the Wii could get a price drop, but i did think about that Wii Sports Resort and the Motion+ could end up boosting the Wii hardware sales :)

EDIT2: Maybe there is a possibility that we will see a new Mario and a new Zelda title for the Wii this year as well :)

jeremy1456

test_account said:
We are almost halfway into 2009, so i dont know how realisticly there is that 3rd party will have too much significantly Wii releases for 2009, but we will see what E3 brings :)

The second best selling third party console game this generation (Taiko no Tatsujin) was announced at last E3 and released that same year.

ksamedi

Spiegel said:

It really only takes one big hit software to up the momentum significantly. Nintendo is known for releasing hit sofware like this for years now. What's so funny about wait for the X game when Nintendo has pretty much proven it can sell hardware?

test_account

XP-39C²
jeremy1456 said:
The second best selling third party console game this generation (Taiko no Tatsujin) was announced at last E3 and released that same year.
Ok, i didnt know that, thanks for the info :) But i am not sure on how many significantly Wii 3rd party games that will be announced at E3 and be released in 2009 as well, but i dont rule it out completely, because maybe it can happend. It is about 1 month until E3 now, so we will know the answer relatively soon :)

Top Bottom