• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Reports Record Fourth-Quarter and Full-Year Revenue

-Microsoft Corp. today announced quarterly revenue of $18.06 billion for the quarter ended June 30, 2012. Operating income and loss per share for the quarter were $192 million and $0.06 per share.

-The financial results reflect the previously announced non-cash, non-tax-deductible income statement charge of $6.19 billion for the impairment of goodwill and the deferral of $540 million of revenue related to the Windows Upgrade Offer. Adjusting for these items, non-GAAP fourth quarter revenue, operating income, and earnings per share were $18.60 billion, $6.93 billion, and $0.73 per share, which represented increases of 7%, 12%, and 6%, respectively, over the prior year period.

-For Microsoft’s fiscal year 2012, the company’s revenue, operating income, and earnings per share were $73.72 billion, $21.76 billion, and $2.00 per share. Adjusting for the goodwill impairment charge and deferred revenue, non-GAAP fiscal year 2012 revenue, operating income, and earnings per share were $74.26 billion, $28.50 billion, and $2.78 per share

-The Entertainment and Devices Division revenue grew 20% for the fourth quarter and 8% for the full year primarily reflecting the addition of Skype. Xbox has now been the top-selling console in the U.S. for 18 consecutive months. During the year, Xbox launched new television and video partnerships for Xbox LIVE, and announced Xbox SmartGlass, which connects phones, PCs, and tablets with the Xbox 360 console to enable more interactive and engaging entertainment.

Xbox 360 Worldwide Hardware Unit Sales (Unit:Million)
Code:
  FY          Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr    Ap-Jn     FY       LTD

2005/06        -        1.5      1.7      1.8      5.0      5.0

2006/07        1.0      4.4      0.5      0.7      6.6      11.6    

2007/08        1.8      4.3      1.3      1.3      8.7      20.3    

2008/09        2.2      6.0      1.7      1.2      11.2     31.5     

2009/10        2.1      5.2      1.5      1.5      10.3     41.8

2010/11        2.8      6.3      2.7      1.7      13.7     55.3 

2011/12        2.3      8.2      1.4      1.1      13.0     68.3

Earnings Release FY12 Q4

LTD Xbox 360 Unit Sales

Nibel

QvR0F.gif

Dalthien

Worst FYQ3 since 07/08. Worst FYQ4 since 06/07.

FYQ3 could have been partially explained by over-shipping Q2. But they've now had the worst 6-month stretch in hardware in 5+ years. And FYQ1 coming up could very well be the worst in 6 years as well.

Time for something to reinvigorate the platform. Or just let it fade away as the new system comes on board.

Cornbread78

Oh yeah..... well the CEO sent me a personnal E-mail stating today that:

"Based on our results so far this year, we are increasing our 2012 outlook for revenues to $110 billion and earnings to a range of $4.90 to $5.00 per share."
this was because: second-quarter net income rose 5.5 percent, trumping Wall Street expectations

Seriously, Have Sony and Nintendo release console numbers during that same time frame yet for comparison?

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but didn't the 3DS have a better year than any of those posted by the 360, in terms of worldwide units? If not, still very close?

Also, if Sony hits their 12mm target for Vita, it'll have outperformed almost every single year of 360 sales.

Just keeping my handhelds are doomed data up to date.

That said, congrats Microsoft. Now that we've funded you, it means you can run ad free for the next year, right?

FYQ3 could have been partially explained by over-shipping Q2. But they've now had the worst 6-month stretch in hardware in 5+ years. And FYQ1 coming up could very well be the worst in 5 years as well.

Time for something to reinvigorate the platform. Or just let it fade away as the new system comes on board.

Still better than the competition!

JaggedSac

Xbox LIVE membership increased more than 15% year over year as Xbox continued to add differentiated gaming and entertainment opportunities.

Wish they would give hard numbers for the memberships.

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but didn't the 3DS have a better year than any of those posted by the 360, in terms of worldwide units? If not, still very close?

Also, if Sony hits their 12mm target for Vita, it'll have outperformed almost every single year of 360 sales.

That said, congrats Microsoft. Now that we've funded you, it means you can run ad free for the next year, right?
Yeah, handheld games are really lighting up the charts. If we cross our fingers, a Vita game may actually enter the top 20 next NPD!

FYQ3 could have been partially explained by over-shipping Q2. But they've now had the worst 6-month stretch in hardware in 5+ years. And FYQ1 coming up could very well be the worst in 6 years as well.

Since industry sales are consolidating around the holidays, instead of a 6 month stretch, lets look at a 9 month stretch.

FY 2011 Q2-4 10.7 million shipped
FY 2012 Q2-4 10.7 million shipped

Combine that with NPD showing 1H retail software revenue only being down 15% and I'd say the platform is just fine at the moment.

kingkaiser

Still surprised they can ship those numbers with zero support from Japan.

Well, there is strong support from Bandai Namco and Capcpom, which are the only relevant japanese 3rd parties in this day and age. Meanwhile, Japan as a consumer market for stationary systems, tends to zero relevance.

see5harp

Wow salty.

Dalthien

Since industry sales are consolidating around the holidays, instead of a 6 month stretch, lets look at a 9 month stretch.

FY 2011 Q2-4 10.7 million shipped
FY 2012 Q2-4 10.7 million shipped

Combine that with NPD showing 1H retail software revenue only being down 15% and I'd say the platform is just fine at the moment.

I agree that last holiday quarter was excellent for them. But that's why the numbers match up if you stretch things that far back. But if you take the upcoming 9-month comparison (FY Q3+Q4+Q1), it will be undoubtedly be very ugly - and quite easily the worst since the stretch starting in 06/07 (barring some action this quarter that gives a big boost to sales).

And looking forward, I can't imagine that you honestly think the full year comparison (FYQ3+Q4+Q1+Q2) including this upcoming holiday quarter won't be very ugly comparing to the previous year. I'm trying to look forward to see how things are shaping up. It's not pretty.

I laughed. That was your intention, right? Good one.

more info
Within the Xbox platform:

· We shipped 1.1 million Xbox 360 consoles compared to 1.7 million during the fourth quarter of fiscal year 2011. Even in the soft console market, Xbox 360 maintained its market share leadership position in the U.S.

· Xbox LIVE membership increased more than 15% year over year as Xbox continued to add differentiated gaming and entertainment opportunities.

goldenpp72

iUy7wSBjCWR7F.gif

That gif is awesome.

Also, some or all of my post was not serious, in particular the part about X-Box being profitable enough to go ad free, when a chunk of that funding is ad revenue :D

goldenpp72

That gif is awesome.

Also, some or all of my post was not serious, in particular the part about X-Box being profitable enough to go ad free, when a chunk of that funding is ad revenue :D

The joke part of your post was the 12 million Vitas thing, at this point it will be lucky to hit that in 2 years.

watership

That gif is awesome.

Umm.. that wasn't the joke part? Are you sure? You did type "12 million Vitas". That was the joke? Right?

GavinGT

Banned
Entertainment will often run at a loss. No matter how successful Xbox is, they're always going to use the division to hide less successful projects (Windows Phone, Zune, Kin, etc...).

Their entertainment division ran at a loss again... Or am I reading this wrong?

Numbers for individual divisions aren't available on the site yet but they likely had a significant loss. Slow time of the year for game sales so xbox profits can't make up for the losses elsewhere. With Windows Phone making big payments to Nokia, they probably won't have quarterly profits in the division outside of the holiday quarter unless Windows Phone is able to stand on it's own.

Edit- nevermind, I see it now, 263 million loss in the division compared to a 13 million profit last year.

sTeLioSco

Banned
did they say they are the top selling in the us?

why not say worldwide,if they are worldwide?

Microsoft Just Lost Money For the First Time Ever

Microsoft just posted its fourth quarter results, and for the first time since the tech giant was founded, it lost money. But this isn't necessarly all doom and gloom the beginning of the end—not yet anyway.

Microsoft hasn't had the best few years recently, but its business is so huge and its users so many that it has been able to keep turning profits despite Ballmer's biggest blunders. The loss, according to the AP, was caused by an accounting adjustment. What does that mean? In 2007, Microsoft bought the advertising business, aQuantive. Turns out it was a bad deal, so in its fourth quarter balance sheets, Microsoft decreased the value of its assets by $6.2 billion to address the botched deal, pushing its numbers into the red for the quarter—$473 million in the red to be exact. Without the write-off, Microsoft earned 73 cents per share, which actually beat analyst expectations. Go Microsoft!

These types of accounting shifts are common, it's just particularly shocking because Microsoft is such a powerhouse. Luckily, things have been looking up for the company recently between the forthcoming releases of Windows 8 and the recently announced Microsoft Surface PCs. Let's hope Redmond can turn this temporary frown upside down

http://gizmodo.com/5927531/microsoft-just-lost-money-for-the-first-time-ever?comment=51124067
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/48248172/ns/business-us_business/#.UAh6hqP3CSq

its not like it's not afflicting all consoles though.

price drop might help a bit.

did they say they are the top selling in the us?

why not say worldwide,if they are worldwide?

Because on a quarterly basis, they're probably (basically surely) not. 360 loses the slow 9 months of the year (when Japan sales become a bigger factor), then if lucky, makes it up in the holiday quarter (when USA sales start to overwhelm any effect from Japan). Nothing new about those trends.

Top Bottom