• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Reports Record Fourth-Quarter and Full-Year Revenue

364 million for the year.

Year ended 6/30??

Somebody pmed me a table of those numbers, and they were +880m before this Q. So would be +617m now.

Can you correct this table?:

Start from FY ending June 30th 2002

6/30/2002 -1,135,000,000
6/30/2003 -1,191,000,000
6/30/2004 -1,220,000,000
6/30/2005 -485,000,000
6/30/2006 -1,284,000,000
6/30/2007 -1,969,000,000 (RROD)
6/30/2008 426,000,000
6/30/2009 108,000,000
6/30/2010 618,000,000
6/30/2011 1,324,000,000
6/30/2012 617,000,000

Kazerei

Banned
Looks like this gen has peaked. The upcoming year is going to be depressing. Bring on the PS4 and Xbox Next, yeah.

amazing thing about ms is, last i checked, while apple had zoomed past them in total revenue and total profit, ms was still more profitable on a revenue percentage basis

thats because even an incredibly lucrative hardware business like apple is less profitable than software.

Road

Year ended 6/30??

Somebody pmed me a table of those numbers, and they were +880m before this Q. So would be +617m now.

6/30/2002 -1,135,000,000
6/30/2003 -1,191,000,000
6/30/2004 -1,220,000,000
6/30/2005 -485,000,000
6/30/2006 -1,284,000,000
6/30/2008 426,000,000
6/30/2009 108,000,000
6/30/2010 618,000,000
6/30/2011 1,324,000,000
6/30/2012 617,000,000

The quarterly numbers and yearly numbers for FY12 are available here: http://www.microsoft.com/global/inv...wnloads/FY12/Q4/FinancialStatementFY12Q4.xlsx

JaggedSac

Year ended 6/30??

6/30/2002 -1,135,000,000
6/30/2003 -1,191,000,000
6/30/2004 -1,220,000,000
6/30/2005 -485,000,000
6/30/2006 -1,284,000,000
6/30/2008 426,000,000
6/30/2009 108,000,000
6/30/2010 618,000,000
6/30/2011 1,324,000,000
6/30/2012 617,000,000

Is this table mixing years of only Xbox numbers with EDD numbers?

The quarterly numbers and yearly numbers for FY12 are available here: http://www.microsoft.com/global/inv...wnloads/FY12/Q4/FinancialStatementFY12Q4.xlsx

they only go back a couple years for edd.

looks like my table is all wrong tho

there was never only xbox numbers from ms was there? it just was called something besides edd before then (i forget). and the divisions were jiggered around with the change.

Their entertainment division ran at a loss again... Or am I reading this wrong?

The only times since ~2007 the entertainment division has run at a loss is when they have gone out and spent billions to buy or bribe companies, such as the aquisition of Skype and paying Nokia to go Windows Phone 7 exclusive. The division is extremely healthy considering it's past history (Original Xbox).

It appears to be, though it makes the Xbox look bad since Microsoft tends to lump failing ventures in with the XBox such as the Zune.

did they say they are the top selling in the us?

why not say worldwide,if they are worldwide?

Microsoft Just Lost Money For the First Time Ever

Microsoft just posted its fourth quarter results, and for the first time since the tech giant was founded, it lost money. But this isn't necessarly all doom and gloom the beginning of the end—not yet anyway.

Microsoft hasn't had the best few years recently, but its business is so huge and its users so many that it has been able to keep turning profits despite Ballmer's biggest blunders. The loss, according to the AP, was caused by an accounting adjustment. What does that mean? In 2007, Microsoft bought the advertising business, aQuantive. Turns out it was a bad deal, so in its fourth quarter balance sheets, Microsoft decreased the value of its assets by $6.2 billion to address the botched deal, pushing its numbers into the red for the quarter—$473 million in the red to be exact. Without the write-off, Microsoft earned 73 cents per share, which actually beat analyst expectations. Go Microsoft!

These types of accounting shifts are common, it's just particularly shocking because Microsoft is such a powerhouse. Luckily, things have been looking up for the company recently between the forthcoming releases of Windows 8 and the recently announced Microsoft Surface PCs. Let's hope Redmond can turn this temporary frown upside down

http://gizmodo.com/5927531/microsoft-just-lost-money-for-the-first-time-ever?comment=51124067
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/48248172/ns/business-us_business/#.UAh6hqP3CSq

Read about this last month on the BBC, it was known about and already expected.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

there was never only xbox numbers from ms was there? it just was called something besides edd before then (i forget). and the divisions were jiggered around with the change.

All numbers post 360 launch are division (they restructured in sept 2005)

All numbers pre 360 launch are Xbox only

Xbox 360 is generally the only profitable thing in the division... So for the last 7 years the numbers for 360 are likely a lot higher

All numbers post 360 launch are division

All numbers pre 360 launch are Xbox only

Xbox 360 is generally the only profitable thing in the division... So for the last 7 years the numbers for 360 are likely a lot higher

They never gave out xbox only numbers. Xbox used to be in a division called Home and Entertainment which included various things

Home and Entertainment includes the Microsoft Xbox video game console system, PC games, the Home Products Division (HPD), and TV platform products for the interactive television industry.

Also included Office for Mac's which was part of the HPD.

DopeyFish

They never gave out xbox only numbers. Xbox used to be in a division called Home and Entertainment which included various things

Also included Office for Mac's which was part of the HPD.

There was only webtv and ultimate TV

Which were kinda mehhhh, they certainly weren't big losing ventures like the other stuff 360 is paired with

Those shipment numbers really show that gen is slowing down. MS really should cut the price though as it has been same several years. Still don't think that Sony will ship much more as they are probably phasing out the old model and well for Wii: lol.

NavNucST3

What is it you're having difficulty finding? The Earnings and Financials section of Microsoft.com/ir goes back to 1996. Looks like Annual Reports does as well.

There was only webtv and ultimate TV

Which were kinda mehhhh, they certainly weren't big losing ventures like the other stuff 360 is paired with

Until recently, the 360 made up a much higher percentage of the division's revenue than the Xbox did back in the day.

Pineconn

And they wanted this generation to last 10 years. Thankfully the next generation starts in a few months rather than a few years.

DopeyFish

Until recently, the 360 made up a much higher percentage of the division's revenue than the Xbox did back in the day.

Well, perhaps.

But webtv and ultimate TV doesn't have the expenditures that the other things in division have now

Web TV and ultimate TV were losers but at least came close to breaking even, sorta

The other stuff in this division now spends so much that never generates enough revenue - huge losers that offsets 360s perceived profitability

I would assume also MS is holding back price realignment until around the next gen launch in the hopes of really bolstering the divisions profitability altogether

Dat gold sub increase.

That's sure to piss off more than a few people. Sucks they don't release figures. Their last figures had gold Gold subs at 15m if I'm not mistaken.

jcm

Online services burned through another half billion. Don't they have to do something about this at some point? I think that's 26 straight losing quarters now.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Online services burned through another half billion. Don't they have to do something about this at some point? I think that's 26 straight losing quarters now.
Is that 26 quarters since the division started or did they actually make money at some point?

drkohler

Banned
Xbox 360 is generally the only profitable thing in the division...
That is complete nonsense. In one of the previous quarters, there even was a direct MS quote that all parts in the division were profitable. Mac software is/was part of the division and always was highly profitable. Same goes for Peripherals.

Low shipment numbers.

Although, the NPD software attach rate grew quite a bit (9.2 -> 9.4).

Wish they would give hard numbers for the memberships.

Current figure they're giving is 40M i.e. a 15% increase over ~35M the previous figure.

What they don't give is a Gold vs Silver breakdown.

Low shipment numbers.

Although, the NPD software attach rate grew quite a bit (9.2 -> 9.4).

Current figure they're giving is 40M i.e. a 15% increase over ~35M the previous figure.

What they don't give is a Gold vs Silver breakdown.

It can't be a good ratio. In my home alone, we have eight silver profiles, only two of which have ever been gold. My brother-in-law is a teen Call of Duty kid and has been through about a dozen in the past five years, due to various bannings. So while all twelve were gold at one point, only one is now.

Still, even if it's only five percent active, paying gold accounts, that's $120,000,000/year in essentially free revenue.

EDIT: Bad math, also, if the split is 50/50 THEN HOLY FUCKING TARTAR SAUCE that's a lot of dosh for something most give away for free.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
It can't be a good ratio. In my home alone, we have eight silver profiles, only two of which have ever been gold. My brother-in-law is a teen Call of Duty kid and has been through about a dozen in the past five years, due to various bannings. So while all twelve were gold at one point, only one is now.

Still, even if it's only five percent active, paying gold accounts, that's $1,200,000,000/year in essentially free revenue.

I've also been through a fair few "secondary" accounts over the years.

However, it has been said before that they only count active accounts (used in the past 6 months I think).

Still, even if it's only five percent active, paying gold accounts, that's $1,200,000,000/year in essentially free revenue.

We've been told numerous times in the past that the ratio is 50/50 and your math is off by a factor of 10.

DopeyFish

That is complete nonsense. In one of the previous quarters, there even was a direct MS quote that all parts in the division were profitable. Mac software is/was part of the division and always was highly profitable. Same goes for Peripherals.

Mac software is business division

Peripherals isn't a big segment for MS, not anymore... Not sure if you have noticed just how far scaled back the peripherals from Microsoft are.

E&D currently has such things as Xbox, Zune, Windows Phone, MSN TV, Mediaroom, pixelSense, Surface, Skype (this was originally going to be its own division :/), Hardware and *likely* Research too

But yeah, nonsense.

jcm

Is that 26 quarters since the division started or did they actually make money at some point?

Thy had two profitable quarters at the start. This is a year old, but just imagine 4 more big red bars:

chart-of-the-day-microsoft-online-division-july-2011.jpeg

DopeyFish

Ok so they are loosing money ?

Because i can't really understand anything.

No. They registered a loss because they buried a bad $6.2 billion investment (goodwill impairment charge)

It's basically a reduction in company value.. It's a non cash charge so it doesn't effect revenue or profit, just the statement. So for true values you basically just add 6.2 billion to total company and to online services division

Next quarter they will look like usual... And the quarter after that they will look absolutely godly

All that matters is the overall results for the whole company. How they organize things isn't really that important and they've done it the way they have so that their two cash cows look as good as possible. Bundle Bing in with Windows Live and Windows looks a little worse and nobody knows how much money they are spending on Bing but they just prefer to let Windows have it's own space.

jcm

All that matters is the overall results for the whole company. How they organize things isn't really that important and they've done it the way they have so that their two cash cows look as good as possible. Bundle Bing in with Windows Live and Windows looks a little worse and nobody knows how much money they are spending on Bing but they just prefer to let Windows have it's own space.

By that logic burning dollar bills to heat the corporate office would be fine as long as windows and office remain profitable.

By that logic burning dollar bills to heat the corporate office would be fine as long as windows and office remain profitable.

For a variety of reasons they feel that they need to have Bing for strategic reasons and not because it's going to make money. They know full well the power that can be wielded by uncontested control of a key part of the tech landscape.

For a variety of reasons they feel that they need to have Bing for strategic reasons and not because it's going to make money. They know full well the power that can be wielded by uncontested control of a key part of the tech landscape.

As much money they have lost with Bing it is mildly successful in terms of market share, and with the way that they'll use Bing for Windows 8, WP8 and Xbox Next, it probably can help boost their market share even further. Unfortunately advertisers aren't willing to pay the same rates for Bing as they do for Google which is why Bing doesn't make money.

jcm

And what have they bought with the $11b online has lost? (I'm being generous and ignoring the $6b online ad company they just declared worthless).

Top Bottom