• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Reports Record Fourth-Quarter and Full-Year Revenue

I think that this next fiscal year will be the most profitable for the EDD. Halo 4, Gears of War: Judgment, Forza Horizon, and a ton of Kinect gambles that might work (Sesame Street, National Geographic). Fable is also an incredibly strong-selling series, but I am not sure how much that one is going to sell. It'll sell, I'm sure, but Fable IV probably would have been better.

Still, with that said, and no indication of a price cut, I think it could be close to reaching around the mark of 2011's high.

And what have they bought with the $11b online has lost? (I'm being generous and ignoring the $6b online ad company they just declared worthless).

They've kept Google's market share around 2/3 instead of having a dominant monopoly.(in the US at least) And they've actually been taking market share away from Google lately.

Really the only goal in all of this for them is keeping people away from going to Google sites which becomes increasingly important as we move towards this looming ecosystem battle. Bing making money at some point would just be a bonus.

Ghizz

I think that this next fiscal year will be the most profitable for the EDD. Halo 4, Gears of War: Judgment, Forza Horizon, and a ton of Kinect gambles that might work (Sesame Street, National Geographic). Fable is also an incredibly strong-selling series, but I am not sure how much that one is going to sell. It'll sell, I'm sure, but Fable IV probably would have been better.

Still, with that said, and no indication of a price cut, I think it could be close to reaching around the mark of 2011's high.

You sir, have written down my thoughts.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

Don't forget Microsoft surface... It should bring in quite a bit of monies... Maybe

jcm

25% of US search queries?
Distant second in search has been such a good business for yahoo, I can see why they'd spend so much to grab it.

They've kept Google's market share around 2/3 instead of having a dominant monopoly.(in the US at least) And they've actually been taking market share away from Google lately.

Really the only goal in all of this for them is keeping people away from going to Google sites which becomes increasingly important as we move towards this looming ecosystem battle. Bing making money at some point would just be a bonus.

I think you have correctly identified ms's strategy, but I also think its a bad one. They spend a fortune buying search share from yahoo, meanwhile google and apple divvy up the next big platform, which should have been ms's strength. Oops.

xbhaskarx

QvR0F.gif

nice gif

Distant second in search has been such a good business for yahoo, I can see why they'd spend so much to grab it.

I think you have correctly identified ms's strategy, but I also think its a bad one. They spend a fortune buying search share from yahoo, meanwhile google and apple divvy up the next big platform, which should have been ms's strength. Oops.

They aren't spending money to acquire the search share, they are spending the money to keep it away from Google.

They make plenty of money, spending the cash on Bing doesn't preclude them from spending it on anything else they need to.

Don't forget Microsoft surface... It should bring in quite a bit of monies... Maybe

Yeah, that could be very huge. I am not sure if that will come out in the next fiscal year, but I suppose it is possible (unless, of course, it definitely is and I missed the news somewhere).

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Yeah, that could be very huge. I am not sure if that will come out in the next fiscal year, but I suppose it is possible (unless, of course, it definitely is and I missed the news somewhere).

FY is July 2012-July 2013, no? (These are the Q4 results we are talking about)

Surface RT is like October, surface pro is "Christmas"

Juice

I'm more interested in the fact that this was the first-ever quarterly loss.

I get that it was caused by a big writedown, but for revenues this huge, it's a sign of clear mismanagement that they're not hugely profitable.

I get that it was caused by a big writedown, but for revenues this huge, it's a sign of clear mismanagement that they're not hugely profitable.

they were hugely profitable, the writedown was for 6.2 billion.

Adjusting for the goodwill impairment charge and deferred revenue, non-GAAP fiscal year 2012 revenue and operating income were $74.26 billion and $28.50 billion

38% operating margin

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!

7b profits on 18b revenue is huge. Without the write off it is business as usual.

mantidor

I find very interesting they count things like buying Skype as income for the entertainment division, if I'm reading that right.

I mean, what? how much is the entertainment division really about gaming? like, what percentage?

25% of US search queries?

i always thought it was really stupid of ms not to buy youtube back when, i dont remember the price it went for but it wasnt a ton, and i recall reading something to the effect that 25% of all internet searches are youtube searches, or something like that.

so if nothing else, there's the search volume ms apparently so desperately craves (I remember them making a big deal about how they needed to buy yahoo back when, in order to get some magical amount of search volume to make their search algorithms work optimally, sounded like balony to me but it's what they said)

Then again call me a nut or whatever but I dont think MS is looked kindly in the legal system, and I feel if they had bought youtube instead, the YouTube related copyright lawsuits would have been way more effective against them than they were against Google.

hmm, at a glance i'd guess volume is just too low to be setting any records this late in the gen. even if the per unit hardware profit is high.

also, i'm thinking they may finally have to react to this new sony slim box and the price cuts sure to accompany it, with a price cut of their own.

jcm

They aren't spending money to acquire the search share, they are spending the money to keep it away from Google.

I think that's a distinction without a difference.

They make plenty of money, spending the cash on Bing doesn't preclude them from spending it on anything else they need to.

And now we've come full circle. Being rich is no reason to throw billions of dollars away.

Miles X

It's possible for 360 to have a similar holiday Q to last year if they give it a good price cut, so they could finish 2012 at 78 million (1.7m next Q, down 600k YOY again and 8m~ in Q4 again) That'd be 12.5m for the calendar year. Sony are expecting 13m for PS3, down 1m YOY, and MS usually trend alongside them more or less.

I wonder how close they'll get to 100m, and how a price cut will hold the system up through 2013, possible with a good enough cut this year for it to do 10m next year? It'll have competition in WiiU but for MS it'll still be the console they're focusing on, lots of SW coming up next year for 360 especially in Q1/Q2 Meaning it should be around 88m~ by the end of 2013/720 launch period.

I guess it's up to legs to see if it can do another 12m after that. Though if it does 12.5m this year and 10m in 2013, it'd have to start dropping 50% a year until it's dead not to reach it.

Miles X

8m CYQ4 is rather implausible this year. It was rather implausible last year...

Yet they managed it.

Facto of the matter is Q4 2010 (Kinect launch) - 6 months into 2011 was 10.7m. Q4 last year with the supposed overshipping - 6 months into 2012 is, 10.7m. Somehow they shipped the same amount of consoles in the latter period without the Kinect launch boost, they did it with bundles.

Price cut will allow for some amazing bundles this holiday.

Yet they managed it.

Facto of the matter is Q4 2010 (Kinect launch) - 6 months into 2011 was 10.7m. Q4 last year with the supposed overshipping - 6 months into 2012 is, 10.7m. Somehow they shipped the same amount of consoles in the latter period without the Kinect launch boost, they did it with bundles.

Price cut will allow for some amazing bundles this holiday.
Isn't that the numbers are the same or similar relatively indicative that Q4 when taken in isolation was an anomalous overshipment for that particular period?

If I were to guess I would say that retailers saw unusually high November 360 sales and predicted a translation to even higher December sales that never eventuated.

A repeat of the 8M CYQ4 is only really plausible if one similarly expects a repeat of these muted CYQ1-Q2 numbers - unless one is predicting significant growth Y/Y after a price cut in a market that's down 30% Y/Y right now and post-new generation.

If they do cut price I expect it will simply allow them to hold Y/Y for the rest of the year with a normal ~6-6.5Mish Q4; since I don't foresee a non-subscription based $99 model and I don't know how much a $150 model would improve fortunes given they're already at the $200 price point.

Top Bottom