• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's Future Immersive Gaming System :: New patent application

mocoworm

This needs a new thread. Could be awesome:

Originally posted by: El_Chino in the 720 rumour thread

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2012/09/microsoft-envisions-where-gaming-is-going-and-its-wild.html

"...where will Microsoft take gaming in the future? According to a recent patent application filing, Microsoft envisions a totally immersive experience: Specifically, the patent states that "An immersive display environment is provided to a human user by projecting a peripheral image onto environmental surfaces around the user. The peripheral images serve as an extension to a primary image displayed on a primary display."

6a0120a5580826970c017c31bc70f3970b-800wi

Karuto

Minority Report is becoming a reality soon, it seems. Very few would have a room capable of using that optimally, though.

emb

Looks like Kinect, augmented to work with walls that happen to be screens. Good luck with that...

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
In todays world even something that is obvious has to be patented.
I would love to have tech in the apartment for that though.

I like this idea. It seems like a pretty cool way to optionally enhance the gaming environment. Sort of like a planetarium.

The patent says a depth sensor is used to analyze your room so it sounds like the projected picture will be morphed to fit your room instead of your room needing to morph to fit the projected image.

They also covered stenciling out light projected at the user.

I'd love to see something like this make it to market.

i-Lo

As plasma tele user and the where my windows are, Kinect is an unrealistic option for me. And if this new design doc shows anything, many others will have similar issues.

monome

yep sounds fun. not happening next gen anyway.

IMPOSSIBLE to project detailed and moving images, especially of the size shown, using such a little projector. and how the fuck do you diffract the light so that images both fit and align with the walls.

Have you calibrated Kinect guys? Do you imagine the process of calibrating that thing?

The Kinect Glasses from the MS leak make much more sense, and technical feasability.

Just think again, to achieve tracking fingers and allow 4 players, Kinect 2 needs two cameras and added raw power.

It's most probably feasible with the right tech and algorithms, it's just not possible in the coming years.

And what about the shadows the player will create when he's caught in the projection line?
tech is great when it works, not when you create dark patches on your wall because you're standing up.

"And all cinemas will have moving seats and chemical machines that reproduce smells!"

S'not what customers want and its not entertainment. Plain and simple

Derrick01

Banned
That picture actually got an impulsive "fuck NO" out of me when I saw it. So I guess there are my thoughts on this.

We're never going to get better games are we? It's all a race to the next gimmick now.

bjork

They can't have that patent, Miyamoto said he wants a game that takes up a room in interviews like 10 years or so ago.

Who has a living room like that? lol

Mine's actually a lot like that. No left wall (open to the kitchen) and the couch and TV are in exactly that arrangement, 13 feet from each other.

However, my right wall is bright teal with a white fireplace on it, so the projection stuff could look pretty weird.

That said, I'll have to see it in reality. I was all-in when Wii launched but I'm sort of burned out on motion controls right now.

TRios Zen

This tech has to start somewhere - I find it interesting that some people seem so willing to discount any potential it might have based simply upon that drawing.

As for me, color me interested in seeing what that drawing actually means. Unlikely we'll go from where we are to "holocube" in one giant leap, so I'm interested in experiencing the baby-steps that take us in that direction.

Derrick01

Banned
This tech has to start somewhere - I find it interesting that some people seem so willing to discount any potential it might have based simply upon that drawing.

Because I have yet to see any of these gimmicks able to control the types of games we get now. The games they can control are always much simpler and worse than what we have played for over a decade. I understand tech has to start somewhere but I wish it would hide away in some lab until they can come up with something that can at least play current games. What am I supposed to do with something like Kinect (which seems like the beginning to this) where I can wave my arms around like a clown and swat some virtual balls away?

Izick

Ridiculous. I want it!

You will get that too, you know.

I guess so, but I wish MS would put more money into developing 1st party software and exclusives. Sony is absolutely killing it with 1st and 2nd party games these days and there's no reason MS couldn't do the same.

Then again, if the Kinect goes to show anything, half baked gimmicks usually sell more than quality games anyway though...

That picture actually got an impulsive "fuck NO" out of me when I saw it. So I guess there are my thoughts on this.

We're never going to get better games are we? It's all a race to the next gimmick now.

It's not a gimmick if it works. The ones that don't stick are the ones that are the gimmicks, the ones that do are innovations. If you think gaming is going to be a small 2d window forever then you have another thing coming.

Mr.Green

Maybe, just maybe an HMD like the Oculus Rift is a simpler and better solution?

Where do the images projected on the walls come from anyway?

Edit: Okay, so that little spherical thing beside the Kinect is the projector... I won't hold my breath.

Floex

The Oculus Rift would be more suitable to home environments but I would so cream my pants seeing this tech in my house

Derrick01

Banned
It's not a gimmick if it works. The ones that don't stick are the ones that are the gimmicks, the ones that do are innovations. If you think gaming is going to be a small 2d window forever then you have another thing coming.

If it can't control traditional games and only these simple casual experiences, then it's the definition of a gimmick. Now tell me from that picture how you are going to control something like GTA 5?

tranciful

...that is stupid. An immersive headset that takes up your entire field of vision would be better in just about every way. You could make the argument that wall-screens are better for local multiplayer, except like others have pointed out, it's not practical at all to have 3 huge blank walls

derFeef

If it can't control traditional games and only these simple casual experiences, then it's the definition of a gimmick. Now tell me from that picture how you are going to control something like GTA 5?

I think there need to be games designed around that. And if you are not into this kind of stuff (if it's real and works), then it's easy to dodge, just like genres you do not care about etc.

edit: looks like an evolution of this. http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/augmentedprojectors/default.aspx

Top Bottom