• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With NEO and rumored Scorpio around the corner, what do devs think about it?

Fat4all

Banned
I doubt they are all thrilled.

Making 4 different versions of a game (maybe 5 with the NX) might be rough on some devs, depending on how scaleable their engine is.

I doubt they are all thrilled.

Making 4 different versions of a game (maybe 5 with the NX) might be rough on some devs, depending on how scaleable their engine is.

I'm not that knowledgeable about this kind of stuff, but wouldn't it be feasible for Sony and MIcrosoft to provide tools to make this process easier, if not completely automate it, for small indie studios?

Also, really, how many studios are out there that have very small development teams, AND that make games that are technically extremely impressive? Even studios like Thekla Inc. (The Witness) manage PC support, and indie games thrive on the PC, so I don't see how there would be some kind of preponderance of micro-studios who have difficulty getting that "second profile".

As for the first party studios, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony and Microsoft implement some sort of task force to take care of that kind of stuff. But who knows. All I know is that I don't think Sony would be doing this if it was some kind infeasible task for developers. (at least, you'd hope so)

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
They are making pc games with thousand of different configurations so is not a problem to make 2 different version.

Fat4all

Banned
I'm not that knowledgeable about this kind of stuff, but wouldn't it be feasible for Sony and MIcrosoft to provide tools to make this process easier, if not completely automate it, for small indie studios?

Also, really, how many studios are out there that have very small development teams, AND that make games that are technically extremely impressive? Even studios like Thekla Inc. (The Witness) manage PC support, and indie games thrive on the PC, so I don't see how there would be some kind of preponderance of micro-studios who have difficulty getting that "second profile".

As for the first party studios, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony and Microsoft implement some sort of task force to take care of that kind of stuff. But who knows. All I know is that I don't think Sony would be doing this if it was some kind infeasible task for developers. (at least, you'd hope so)

Speculations are speculations. You'd hope and think they'd do a lot of things, but at the end of the day it's still a whole lot of versions you have to work on and keep track of.

They are making pc games with thousand of different configurations so is not a problem to make 2 different version.

What about the PC ports that end up being terrible on a whole lot of PC configurations?

From my anecdotal exposure to the rumored chatter, it's a mixed bag. The higher end of the development range - AAA publishers - are the most irked by it since they aim to launch simultaneously on multiple SKUs for their new products. Either they're gonna have to deal with the added costs involved with additional testing, coding, and certification, or they're gonna have to stagger releases, push back launches (more delays), or limit the platforms they publish on.

Indies and smaller devs have been more receptive since they're not pushing the base hardware all that hard. They're safely within the capabilities, plus they're not typically aiming to release on all platforms at the same time.

Paz

What I think about it so far is that the average forum user here seems to have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to how games are made but they seem very confident in telling others what would and wouldn't be easy for developers to do, and that gives me a headache.

RevenWolf

Speculations are speculations. You'd hope and think they'd do a lot of things, but at the end of the day it's still a whole lot of versions you have to work on and keep track of.

What about the PC ports that end up being terrible on a whole lot of PC configurations?

Their backlash just got a wider audience for releasing a poor port! :D

Essentially git gud at porting or get a lot more people mad.

Fat4all

Banned
What I think about it so far is that the average forum user here seems to have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to how games are made but they seem very confident in telling others what would and wouldn't be easy for developers to do, and that gives me a headache.

You might want to avoid Gaf for the rest of your life then, or invest in some medication.

No idea on the Scorpio just yet. Some of my fears for the Neo were alleviated once I learned the exact way they were handling compatibility. Very smart solution - also, the implications of said solution are more significant than I initially thought.

No idea on the Scorpio just yet. Some of my fears for the Neo were alleviated once I learned the exact way they were handling compatibility. Very smart solution - also, the implications of said solution are more significant than I initially thought.

Care to elaborate?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Best post in here.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Probably thinking, if it's not a generational upgrade wtf is the point. All these companies are doing is creating a larger production cost and development time for games for introducing these marginally improved consoles as opposed to full fledged gen jumps. I honestly hope these consoles are poorly received. This iterational shit is a waste imo and a way to leech off of customers. Might as well become a PC centric gamer if you want to continually upgrade your console. To me sends a poor message from f these things pan out, it makes me think when will they stop before releasing a next gen console or if it'd even be warranted. I'm not attempting to push my opinion on others and I just won't buy it since I don't share other's excitement.

What's your opinion about whether or not it would be easy?

RowdyReverb

It sounds like it would be similar to a new gen starting, albeit with similar hardware architecture, but cross-gen games are going to be mandatory for a period time.

If you're already developing for multiple platforms (which just about everyone who isn't a first-party studio is, at this point) it's no more difficult than adding another platform to support and most likely significantly easier overall relative to, say, going from PS4-only development to PS4/XBox development.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Not really :p

I'll just say - this was all way, way better engineered & thought out than I had initially anticipated when I first heard about this earlier this year.

Oh this sounds good. Not that much for the players, but for Devs this is definetely very important.

Top Bottom