• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Neil Druckmann] - "I've started thinking about how many of these games I have left in me - And its not that many" (at least not at this scale)

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
When this man calls it quits, it'll be a sad fucking day for me. He's made more than one of my favorite games of all time - And views games the same way I do. An important figure in the industry. One that tries to actually push the medium forward.

But sounds like after these 2 games He's working on, he'll either try something else, or downscale significantly. Nothing in the AAA realm.

Theres no news article about this anywhere else yet, I'm breaking the news here. Transcript below typed up by me.

On a Podcast that just dropped today, with rapper Logic (the interviewer) Neil Drcukmann was asked:

Do you see yourself doing this [making games] forever, have any new passions arisen in you?
I've had other opportunities that I've really enjoyed like the HBO show, the Universal Theme Park - I guess I'll say, I dont see myself doing this forever at this scale. Its a lot, and it takes a lot out of you. Its very stressful to manage that many people and multiple studios worldwide. You know so, you were talking about entering this new phase in your life, where your kids are number 1, and im in a similar place where my kids are number 1. And I know that, especially my daughter whos 13 - And I feel like, life is just pulling her away from me. So I know that time is limited and its very precious to me, so I dont want to waste it when they do wanna spend time with me. Yeah so, im sure ill reach a point in my life when I say "Whats the end game here"?, when is it time to call it? So I could see myself transitioning to something thats more lowkey, and lower stressed, that still allows me to have this creative outlet. I've started thinking about how many of these games I have in me - And its not that many

Time stamped below:

Really good interview, I reccommend watching the entire thing.

Last edited:

Represent.

Also says Uncharted 2 was the most fun he's ever had making a video game, knew from early on they had something special there - Knew they were flying in under the radar and no one would expect what they were about to deliver. There was just this comradery and the stress wasn't there. Everything after UC2 was stressful.

I could make like 10 threads from this interview

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

As long as ND keeps the same DNA after he leaves, Im ok with it. Which they seem to have kept since U2 onwards.
As much as people hate him, he’s been a part of some of the greatest games ever made. Simple.
Would be a shame if he leaves the industry right now

Last edited:

Kumomeme

he talk like he alone already generated tons of game like some big veteran legend in industry lol

despite the fact it just TLOU part 2.

previous Uncharted games and first TLOU is by Amy Heanig or co-directed with Bruce Starley with that guy as main director while he is with creative director role which is in interview he call that man as his 'partner'. even TLOU 2 also has Anthony Newman and Kurt Margenau acting as co-director overseeing gameplay element in the game.

Last edited:

Represent.

he talk like he alone already generated tons of game like some big veteran legend in industry lol

previous Uncharted game and first TLOU is by Amy Heanig or co-directed with Bruce Starley with that guy as main director while he is with creative director role which is in interview he call that man as his 'partner'. even TLOU 2 also has Anthony Newman and Kurt Margenau acting as co-director overseeing gameplay element in the game.
He's been at Naughty Dog since they were working on Jak X. People burnout.

Represent.

its not like he is alone at the company for longest time. there is plenty of other older veteran out there in industry with shit tons of titles under their belt. Bruce Starley for example work with the company much earlier than him.
And Bruce Straley left like a decade ago... for the same reasons Neil will eventually

baphomet

People getting old. With games taking upwards of 10 years you've got some current "gods" who may only have another game or two in them.

Paltheos

He's been at Naughty Dog since they were working on Jak X. People burnout.

Longer than that actually - Jak 3 (in a non-creative role).

Can't say I care for the direction he took the studio and much of western gaming though. I'm in the minority that finds The Last of Us to be a bore and slog. The last game from Naughty Dog I actually liked was Jak and Daxter, 'though that's with the asterisk that I've only bothered playing a few of their games since.

Represent.

On his new game: Says working on it makes him truly happy. Its really ambitious. Parts of it [the development] are really hard, but he's really surrendered to the fact that parts of the development are going to stress people out, how does he make the development of it an enjoyable experience for himself and the team?

Genuinely don't understand why people take Neil seriously at all, as a (wannabe-oscar-bait-movies) video game maker, when he is just a more talented and honest version of David Cage...

Actually David Cage is better, because at least he never pretended to care about video games at all to begin with.

That HBO series is what Neil wanted to ACTUALLY do his whole career.
Anyway, it will indeed be a sad day because among others, TLoU and TLoU2 are some of the best games ever made.
Embarrassing.

It genuinely makes me sad how lowest common denomiator people that barely play anything beyond PlayStation "it look so shiny" exclusives, think that TLoU1 and 2 is like the peak of gaming.

Please play more games, please
As much as people hate him, he’s been a part of some of the greatest games ever made. Simple.
Uncharted: Everything wrong with Triple A "games", condensed into 6 games (the Chloe one, and the PS Vita one included).
Where when people talk about how great they are they never mention a pip about the ACTUAL gameplay.
It's the spectacle, "it look shiny", and the characters, that is ALL you will hear about it.

Some of the greatest games ever made, everyone.

The Last of Us: Oscar bait movies, wearing the mask of a video game.
Where again, 99% of the conversation is dedicated towards:

1- How "deep" it is (Specially 2, which is embarrassing)

2 - How shiny it looks.

3 - How deep it's characters are (Watch or read, ANY post-apocalyptic media, or "father/daughter figure" centric stories, and you have seen Joel and Ellie before, done better)

And 4 - how much it's a beautiful example of how video games are art (When you can make the "games are art" argument with Kirby, but of course lowest common denomiator people think that video games only started being art, when Father Neil made Uncharted and TLOU)

Some of the greatest games ever made, everyone...

It's funny how to this day, Until Dawn has done a better spectacle movie-like game better then Neil and David Cage ever could, and that the Dishonored series was what The Last of Us 2 wanted to go for, but made by people who actually care about video games, so the point of the game, tied with the gameplay, was actually well done.

But Until Dawn and Dishonored will never get the same amount of dick sucking as Uncharted and TLOU2.

Represent.

If you're saying stuff like that, you're already over it.
Nah. Listen to the full thing, it’s clear he’s not. Says his new game makes him truly happy and is very ambitious. The man probably has 2 AAA games left in him. New IP and close it out with Tlou3

Crayon

Nah. Listen to the full thing, it’s clear he’s not. Says his new game makes him truly happy and is very ambitious. The man probably has 2 AAA games left in him. New IP and close it out with Tlou3

That doesn't mean he feels the same way about it that he used to, though. That said, I haven't listened to it.

cormack12

Gold Member
I think the TV show is basically prepping his out. I think that's where his heart lies. He'll probably do this new IP, leave the studio with TLOU 3 entering full production and do some streaming shows.

I also think exiting before TLOU 3 releases will be a strategic move. The shitstorm around so much of 2 was pretty big. Wouldn't surprise me if the story for 3 is even more polarising and he won't want to be around for it.

Represent.

Genuinely don't understand why people take Neil seriously at all, as a (wannabe-oscar-bait-movies) video game maker, when he is just a more talented and honest version of David Cage...

Actually David Cage is better, because at least he never pretended to care about video games at all to begin with.

Embarrassing.

It genuinely makes me sad how lowest common denomiator people that barely play anything beyond PlayStation "it look so shiny" exclusives, think that TLoU1 and 2 is like the peak of gaming.

Uncharted: Everything wrong with Triple A "games", condensed into 6 games (the Chloe one, and the PS Vita one included).
Where when people talk about how great they are they never mention a pip about the ACTUAL gameplay.
It's the spectacle, "it look shiny", and the characters, that is ALL you will hear about it.

2 - How shiny it looks.

3 - How deep it's characters are (Watch or read, ANY post-apocalyptic media, or "father/daughter figure" centric stories, and you have seen Joel and Ellie before, done better)

And 4 - how much it's a beautiful example of how video games are art (When you can make the "games are art" argument with Kirby, but of course lowest common denomiator people think that video games only started being art, when Father Neil made Uncharted and TLOU)

It's funny how to this day, Until Dawn has done a better spectacle movie-like game better then Neil and David Cage ever could, and that the Dishonored series was what The Last of Us 2 wanted to go for, but made by people who actually care about video games, so the point of the game, tied with the gameplay, was actually well done.

But Until Dawn and Dishonored will never get the same amount of dick sucking as Uncharted and TLOU2.
Ah, you’re one of those elitist gamers that think any game with self respecting production values and a good story = “movie game”

Tons of people talk about the gameplay in TLOU and uncharted

Carry on

EDMIX

I don’t blame him. It must have one of the most stressful moments in his career. We all burn out, and we eventually move on. Especially in entertainment, like videos games.

True, but I think it has a lot to do with how long it takes to even make games now days. So I'm sure he has lots of ideas, but he must be more selective now then any other time in gaming.

So when you have 7 to 8 years to make a game, its hard to justify new ideas unless its some radical shit that everyone is 110% behind.

Feels like this is happening across all industries. The old guard, the titan names of different mediums, are all punching out and leaving a massive void behind them. The result will be a competency crisis and a lack of direction or vision towards the future. The bad times are upon us.

Represent.

Feels like this is happening across all industries. The old guard, the titan names of different mediums, are all punching out and leaving a massive void behind them. The result will be a competency crisis and a lack of direction or vision towards the future. The bad times are upon us.
I know at least ND will be in good hands. Kurt is next up

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
lol nobody asked him to make tlou2 30-40 hours. Imo uncharted4 is perfect length. Tlou1 also.
I love tlou2 but I wonder if it was his decision to make it this huge epic

Kokoloko85

Embarrassing.

2 - How shiny it looks.

Lol whatever. The combat in TLOU2 was probably amongst the better ever in games.
And the action set pieces since Uncharted 2 have been amazing. Some of the best like the Island Escape and Bridge scene was outstanding in TLOU2.
So gameplay, graphics, voice acting, attention to detail, animations, facial animations. All above average

Last edited:

SABRE220

I honestly think think might be a good time for new blood to take on naughty dogs reins and steer it back on track. The company has been a mess ever since tlou2 and it seems they don't know how to move on from there. Overthinking and lack of effective decision-making made an absolute mess of an easy slam dunk of their faction which was already brilliant in tlou1 and they keep doing remasters with the same tools and tech as tlou2 and have nothing in sight more than halfway into the gen.

Last edited:

GymWolf

bye-okay.gif

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Also says Uncharted 2 was the most fun he's ever had making a video game, knew from early on they had something special there - Knew they were flying in under the radar and no one would expect what they were about to deliver. There was just this comradery and the stress wasn't there. Everything after UC2 was stressful.

I could make like 10 threads from this interview
Please don't lol

I honestly think think might be a good time for new blood to take on naughty dogs reins and steer it back on track. The company has been a mess ever since tlou2 and it seems they don't know how to move on from there. Overthinking and lack of effective decision-making made an absolute mess of an easy slam dunk of their faction which was already brilliant in tlou2 and they keep doing remasters with the same tools and tech as tlou2 and have nothing in sight more than halfway into the gen.
That's what's happening now. After Evan leaves, it'll be all "new people". It's not unreasonable to expect Druckmann to remain as head of Creative for a while.

previous Uncharted games and first TLOU is by Amy Heanig or co-directed with Bruce Starley with that guy as main director while he is with creative director role which is in interview he call that man as his 'partner'. even TLOU 2 also has Anthony Newman and Kurt Margenau acting as co-director overseeing gameplay element in the game

More than 10 years after and people are still with the same stuff.

Neil created, co-directed and wrote The Last of Us 2013.

He also was a writer for Uncharted 1 and 2 alongside….. Amy Hennig, which never had tanything to do with the Last of Us Franchise.

It’s understandable that a lot of people want to downplay his role at ND, but he’s a key part of the Studio.

Top Bottom