• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many genres do you enjoy playing?

Which genres do you enjoy playing the most?

• Total voters

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Criminal (Alan wake, resident evil), action (bio mutant, Spider-Man etc.), fps have their moments, action rpgs like mass effect and god of war are games you rally behind.

Laptop1991

RPG first that are 1st and 3rd person views, then FPS and 3rd person action shooter action tied at 2nd, to be honest the latter 2 are in the RPG's i play anyway

The Genres I Enjoy Playing

JRPG

My Favorite Genre. It's the first genre I played in when I started to play videogames. I love the setting, story, cast, artstyle, OST, etc of the JRPGs I played and loved. Yes lot of them might offer linear experiences compared to WRPGs and CRPGs but they still have memorable casts and great stories whenever I play a game from the genre that I end up loving

Some of my favorites

Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross
All the Xeno Games
All the Trails Games
The Star Ocean Games
Breath of Fire Games
Suikoden Games

And the list goes on

SRPG

I don't play as many SRPGs as I do JRPGs but I love just figuring out what my unit can do in combat and using that to my advantage by using the terrain. The stories tend to be more political in nature and I always enjoyed that aspect. Not to mention the grid based turned based Combat.

Some of my favorites

Final Fantasy Tactics
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Ogre Battle
Disgaea

WRPG

This genre is one that's hard for me to get into. Most of the time it's serious, medivial World with realistic characters. Well there are other setting that havent been fantasy. There's been a couple I've been really into but not as much as JRPGs. Not that I hate the genre though

Favorites

Mass Effect Trilogy
The Witcher Trilogy
Fable 2/3
Jade Empire
Knights of The Old Republic 1/2

Real Time Strategy

I think the only one I ever played that's considered to be Real Time Strategy is the Mario + Rabbids Games. Those are XCOM style games from what I heard. I loved both games and just the fast and frentic nature of the gameplay. I do have XCOM on Steam. Have to check that out

Visual Novels

I started playing Visual Novels 5 to 6 years ago. I haven't played a ton but my plan is to play all of the most well known. The ones I loved usually have fantastic stories with twists and turns with beautiful art. Those one especially tend to transport me to another world where I'm engaged for hours on end

Favorites

The House In Fata Morgana
The Zero Escape Trilogy
Danganronpa

Point And Click

Again another genre that I haven't gotten into that much despite having alot on Switch and Steam. I love looking at the environments of each section and figuring out what to do to progress the main story. The stories tend to be very interesting too

Favorites

The Wolf Among Us
The Walking Dead
Silence
Oxenfree
What Remains of Edith Finch

Adventure

A genre I love. Usually has action combat where you explore a world filled with secrets. You don't level up but you can find secret areas in the world that can any of your stats in the game like adding an extra heart to your health bar etc. I love fully exploring the world and finding the strongest weapons, best magic etc. Sometimes these games hardly have a story but I don't mind.

Some of my Favorites

Alundra
Okami
Zelda The Wind Waker
Link's Awakening Remake
Tomb Raider Definitive Edition (PS4)
Beyond Good And Evil
Eastward

Horror

I've been starting to get into the Horror genre. I started like 3 to 4 years ago. My favorites I noticed have the best Lore and setting. The gameplay is fun and you have to be smart since the resources at your disposal is usually extremely limited.

Favorites

Little Nightmares 1/2
Luigi Mansion 3
Eternal Darkness
The Last of Us
Resident Evil HD Remaster
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Resident Evil 3 Remake
Resident Evil Village
Spirit Hunter Death Mark

First Person Shooters

I don't play lot of First Person Shooters due to not being good at them. But I do play ones that interest me

Favorites

Bioshock Infinite
Bioshock
Resident Evil Village
Prey

Metriodvanias

I haven't played alot but the ones I played and finished were fantastic. I loved đź’Ż percenting the map and getting all the upgrades. Especially great if the game has a leveling system. I love to just grind to level 99 and max out everything. Also the 2D visuals is usually a plus in my eyes.

Favorites

Steamworld Dig 2
Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance
Bloodstained Ritual of the Night

Platformers

Again I don't play lot from this genre. There's only a few I played. The ones I want to get into is Sly Cooper games and the Jak And Daxter games.

Favorites

Mario Odyssey
Alice Madness Returns
Psychonauts 2

Genres I Tried To Get Into

CRPG

Everytime I play these games I get stuck at a certain point and usually involves battles. A recent example of this is Baldur's Gate III. I got stuck at a gameplay section in Chapter 1 and never went back. Good game though. I'm planning on going back to that game eventually with a new character build and a walkthrough that will make the experience easier I hope. I've been playing this game on easy though. But that the thing even if I play a CRPG on easy setting I always get stuck. Another example is Pillars of Eternity, loved what I played of it but never got past a certain battle segment

Last edited:
Top Bottom