• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a video game genre that you just stopped playing and/or enjoying for whatever reason?

DelireMan7

Fighting games.

Huge fan as a teen. And actually still now. But they ask too many times.
As a teen I didn't mind spending hours in the lab practicing and then we would meet several times a week with friends to fight against each other.
But now I don't like spending my gaming time in the lab. And in addition, online VS is not as fun compare to local play with friends.

Last I played quite a bit was Dragon Ball FighterZ.

I am always hyped when a new big game is coming like Guilty Gear Strive or Street Fighter 6 (even if I am not a fan of SF in general and especially since 4 but this one looks pretty nice on the mechanic) and I am always on the verge to buy them but always remember the lab session and online VS and I am like "Nope"

Devil May Cry-likes character-action games.

This genre is dead to me, DMC5 bored me to tears. Combos are too long and dumb. Watching people play FF16 and doing 20 string combos to kill a single wolf trashmob is so fucking dumb.

Not only that, but this genre is extremely repetitive, usually once you've found your best combo string, you spend the whole game doing that same chain of attacks over and over again.

I'd rather have single deathblows like in Sekiro.
It’s my favorite genre but it’s been on the decline for a while now. I feel like the last great one that did something unique was The Wonderful 101 back in 2013. Since then it’s just been occasional sequels to DMC and Bayonetta.

Though I might walk that back slightly because Ultrakill is essentially a character action game in FPS form and is awesome. But I don’t think most people would consider that part of the same genre even though I’d argue they should.

Edit: I also agree DMC5 was boring (doesn’t even make my top 10 in a genre that’s pretty sparse) but that definitely isn’t a popular opinion.

Last edited:

Rayderism

Turn-based games. I used to play them all the time, especially back in the C64 days. These days, I just can't tolerate them anymore. A single battle takes too long and is very tedious and annoyingly slow to me, fiddling through menus just to do one round....gah!

It just feels like an archaic way to do battles that worked in the 8 and 16bit days when the systems were kind of too weak to do action battles well, but I feel is no longer necessary with today's modern hardware.

Maybe I just burned myself out on them, or maybe I lost the patience TB games demand, I don't know, but I just can't stand them anymore.

• Surprised
Reactions: Fuz

Lupin25

Lately, Online Mp shooters

Destiny, Fortnite, Splatoon, The Division, Rainbow Six Seige, Overwatch, PUBG, BF2042, Warzone, Apex Legends, Halo Infinite, you name it. They’ve all had their highs and lows, but the gameplay loop has become stale personally, which I think is a byproduct of most games becoming live-service.

Counter-Strike 2, Helldivers 2 & The Finals hold my interest again with reputable devs behind them, but I definitely had to take a step back from the genre for awhile.

Competitive multiplayer games in general, really. Back in the day I had no problem playing on 2Fort a trillion times in TFC, but these days I'm bored of a multiplayer game after a handful of matches. Just too repetitive, and I'd rather spend my time doing something else.

NewYork214

Fps. I liked the ps3/360 gen of them. Killzone, resistance, halo, etc.

Not a big fan of Bethesda FPS games. Just doesn't click with me. I want more single player FPS.

Bry0

PVP shooters. I still like playing destiny or other single player and co op shooters, but the spawn kills die spawn kills die pvp is just so incredibly boring to me. The formula hasn’t changed in over 20 years.

Gorgon

Not "genre", strictly speaking, but I can't play Atlus games anymore. The dungeons and combat in SMT games bore me to death these days. Would give a chance to a new Raidou Kuzunoha or a home console version of Strange Journey, though.

Can't stand Real-Time Strategy (RTS) games anymore either.

jm89

Fighting games.

Single player modes are mostly meh for alot of fighting games, except for netherrealm studios story mode which is prety decent.

But the most fun can really be had online but nowadays i don't have the energy to put in to train.

Last edited:

MrStauf

Banned
Games like Dune II and Command & Conquer in fact i stopped paying them in the 2000s.

I guess i just moved on from them.

Danknugz

Fighting games. I loved playing in the arcade when I was a kid but the online equivalent does nothing but piss me off.

I still don't know why I bought SF5 when it came out. Fucking hated playing it online.
because if you won you got a free game and didn't have to spend another quarter.

Devil May Cry-likes character-action games.

This genre is dead to me, DMC5 bored me to tears. Combos are too long and dumb. Watching people play FF16 and doing 20 string combos to kill a single wolf trashmob is so fucking dumb.

Not only that, but this genre is extremely repetitive, usually once you've found your best combo string, you spend the whole game doing that same chain of attacks over and over again.

I'd rather have single deathblows like in Sekiro.
I love Character Action games and even I thought DMC5 sucked. It's like they designed the combat system and then someone woke up two weeks before release and remembered oh shit, we still need...a compelling game around that.

I can't even remember a game with more mindnumbingly boring encounter and level design in recent years.

DukeOfX

Neo Member
FPS. Having spent 2.5 years deployed in a warzone, can't even be in the room while my son is playing. Except for DOOM.

Mossybrew

Platformers, Fighting Games, and Racers are all genres I enjoyed years ago but mostly have zero interest in these days.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I still fire up RTS games, like StarCraft, every blue moon and just use cheats to go through the story. Saves time and less stress 🙂

Last edited:

Kaachan

Perma-burnout MMO
Occasionally grindy old school, turn-based JRPGs but it doesn't take long before I fall in love with them again

Fuz

Banned
Fighting games.

Huge fan as a teen. And actually still now. But they ask too many times.
As a teen I didn't mind spending hours in the lab practicing and then we would meet several times a week with friends to fight against each other.
But now I don't like spending my gaming time in the lab. And in addition, online VS is not as fun compare to local play with friends.

Last I played quite a bit was Dragon Ball FighterZ.

I am always hyped when a new big game is coming like Guilty Gear Strive or Street Fighter 6 (even if I am not a fan of SF in general and especially since 4 but this one looks pretty nice on the mechanic) and I am always on the verge to buy them but always remember the lab session and online VS and I am like "Nope"
I only play the single player/arcade and occasionally Vs with a RL friend.
(I made him broke a gamepad on KoF97 once, I'm quite proud)
I think they were funnier when they weren't so technical and pixel perfect. Or maybe it was just different times, I dunno.

Last edited:
Top Bottom