• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Neil Druckmann] - "I've started thinking about how many of these games I have left in me - And its not that many" (at least not at this scale)

Mr.Phoenix

Damn... I never knew that GAF hated this guy so much. I don't even understand why they do. U4 is a great game, TLOU1 and 2, are great games. Hell, even TLOU show is a great show and one of the best video game to TV adaptations there has been.

What am I missing?

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Well no I dont care about your job, because your work is not my entertainment. I'm not looking forward to your next endeavour because it has nothing to do with me. This is a silly comparison to make. Surely you understand the difference here....
He has nothing to do me or you, either. He is some dude that makes video games. I know the difference I just think it’s really funny that people even care about some dude that doesn’t know who they are, or care what happens to them.

That is pretty embarrassing. I enjoy having fun with it.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

giphy.gif

1. He has been in AAA game development forever. Which is the point he is making.
  2. Has been the director of Uncharted 4, TLOU1 and TLOU2. Every one of those games took over 4 years to make. Which is the point he is making.
  3. Every single AAA developer makes games along with a lot of people, but doesn't make the work they do any less important.
  4. If being a developer for over 20 years and has been a part of or helmed at least 3 games of the year winning titles doesn't make you a veteran... then I do not know what being a veteran is then.
  5. To be honest you just sound like a hater.
1. well yes. never said that not the case here.
2. reread my initial post. he co-direct those game with Bruce Starley. only TLOU2 he is acting as main director but still with 2 other co-director who oversee gameplay aspect. i already highlighted this stuff beforehand. it is tiring need to repeat that i already post everytime. people here should know how to read and has certain acceptable level of comprehension.
3. well yes. everyone know that.
4. well yes. this is neogaf, everyone here should know this common stuff
5. To be honest if you just sound like a fanboy. joke aside, just stated fact here and see things objectively. by immediately judge this as haters and pick up pitchforks over it, i suggest you take deep breath and dont let emotions blindside your view. no offense.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

sendit

Druckmann is worth over 175 million. If his kids were really number 1, he would have quit or stepped down. But I doubt that is really true, his actual number 1/passion is story telling.

Last edited:
Can't blame him. As much as I disagree with some choices in the last of us 2, the hate he has got since is so over the top ridiculous. You would think he actually did something terrible when its just a damn videogame.

to be honest, theres not alot of games coming out from neil.
not lately, certainly. for some context:

neil druckmann (2004-2020):
programmer: jak 3
writer/designer: uncharted, uncharted 2
creative director/writer: last of us, uncharted 4, last of us 2

hideki kamiya (1996-2022):
system planner: resident evil
director: resident evil 2, viewtiful joe
story: viewtiful joe 2
director/story: devil may cry, okami, bayonetta, wonderful 101
supervisor/story: bayonetta 2, wonderful 101
supervising director/scenario: bayonetta 3

druckmann's been as successful & influential a game development figure as any over the past 15+ years, but obviously within a limited context - 2 franchises. he's a major contributor to the creation of the current 'cinematic/feels-packed/super-polished sequels' era...

my personal take: he's gradually become much more a consciously manipulative writer than a genuinely creative one. but you can't argue with success, eh?...

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
As long as ND keeps the same DNA after he leaves, Im ok with it. Which they seem to have kept since U2 onwards.
As much as people hate him, he’s been a part of some of the greatest games ever made. Simple.
Would be a shame if he leaves the industry right now
Yes, before the feminist frequency brain rot set in. Then it seemed like each new game was his own love letter to her.

I don’t even know why this makes news. Gand development takes now over 5 years, so every developer can say, there are not many games left in their careers.

Regarding Neil, I wouldn’t be surprised if he put more focus on the tv series or other television/movie productions.

Kokoloko85

Yes, before the feminist frequency brain rot set in. Then it seemed like each new game was his own love letter to her.
Its kinda easy to ignore. Abbey was big (It was dumb and literally if her arms were like earlier it would of been fine) Nadine beat up 2guys… These things dont really bother me compared to the rest of the shit woke/femnist agenda does. Didnt stop the games from being great. Abbey just looked silly.

Last edited:

Fredrik

He’s only 45, I bet he’ll make games as long I’m able to control them.
I’m more concerned over Shigeru Miyamoto (71) and Eiji Aonuma (60).

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Druckmann is worth over 175 million.
He's not worth that much, theres no way
If his kids were really number 1, he would have quit or stepped down. But I doubt that is really true, his actual number 1/passion is story telling.
This is a ridiculous post. You're basically saying you cant have a job while still putting your kids first? And kids are not a "passion".
You dont just quit or step down in the middle of 2 on going projects just because you're well off financially - And staying at your job even when you're well off does not in anyway mean your kids aren't your number 1 priority in life.

Druckmann is no Hideo.

Kojima is 60 and cranking out epic, innovative, and highly complicated games that continue to one up his prior efforts and will soon be making a groundbreaking PS6 title

The man is on some serious anti aging routine, it’s wild. I bet he makes games until he dies. No way he steps away from the empire he built. Gaming is his life’s passion.

Last edited:
Hounded out the true creator of TLOU Part 1 from the studio, hounded out the creator of the Uncharted franchise, depressed and overworked the developers so they bailed too. Released your magnum opus, forced by disgruntled employees risking lawsuits and leaking the entire damn thing to get their release bonuses and finally bail the studio, which received justified criticism from those not caught in the hype. Be unable to make DLC since all the devs left. Be unable to finish the multiplayer started years before the release of your magnum opus, but pretend that you are doing something so you don't get fired. Desperately worm up to Hollywood using Sony and the good will of better men from the ND of the past.

Time running out, grifting running out, the truth is now obvious.
"I've started to wonder how many of these games I have left in me...."

He made one game, and it killed Sony's best studio for good. Ah-mayz-zing. And I predicted this when 2 leaked. For years the sycophants bought his every lie, Part 1 reskin will have upgraded gameplay and exploration, Multiplayer is coming along great and will be worth the wait, Part 2 with additional t-shirts is a remaster... The truth will shock these people. Omg why is ND closing?? They were doing so well?

Last edited:

Doom85

It genuinely makes me sad how lowest common denomiator people that barely play anything beyond PlayStation "it look so shiny" exclusives, think that TLoU1 and 2 is like the peak of gaming.

Please play more games, please

I want to apologize to you….as I must continue to make you sad. Been gaming for a long ass time, on tons of consoles, and still would put TLOU Part 1 in my top 10 games of all time and give Part 2 a solid 9.5/10.

But you don’t have to be sad. People love what they love, and it’s not a big deal. Different opinions and all.

Confused Power Rangers GIF

Strategize

Hounded out the true creator of TLOU Part 1 from the studio, hounded out the creator of the Uncharted franchise, depressed and overworked the developers so they bailed too. Released your magnum opus, forced by disgruntled employees risking lawsuits and leaking the entire damn thing to get their release bonuses and finally bail the studio, which received justified criticism from those not caught in the hype. Be unable to make DLC since all the devs left. Be unable to finish the multiplayer started years before the release of your magnum opus, but pretend that you are doing something so you don't get fired. Desperately worm up to Hollywood using Sony and the good will of better men from the ND of the past.
Crazy how like every sentence is wrong lol. Straley left due to burnout much like Neil is talking about here, Amy forced out by Neil and Bruce story wasn't true, employees had nothing to do with the leak, it was some retard "fan" from the Netherlands trying to force the release after covid delayed it indefinitely, DLC wasn't even planned, the MP wasn't even his project, and he wouldn't even still be there if Hollywood was his real goal all along.

This is why you don't get your "facts" from reddit and dudes with anime profile pictures on twitter.

Last edited:
Crazy how like every sentence is wrong lol. Straley left due to burnout much like Neil is talking about here, Amy forced out by Neil and Bruce story wasn't true, employees had nothing to do with the leak, it was some retard "fan" from the Netherlands trying to force the release after covid delayed it indefinitely, DLC wasn't even planned, the MP wasn't even his project, and he wouldn't even still be there if Hollywood was his real goal all along.

This is why you don't get your "facts" from reddit and dudes with anime profile pictures on twitter.
Nice cope, I hope Neil read this. Damn really, MP wasn't his, the studio leads promoting it on stage multiple times project? Wow, must have been the janitors? Lmao, the final stage of the cope, Neil isn't even important or responsible for things in ND. 😂

And I read the leak, directly from the source, unlike you, so nice projection. Bruh, you think a fan had the full game and dev debug build in his access pre realse? I've never heard this form of delusion, I'll add it to my mental mindbroken TLOU2 fans cope list.

Last edited:

Strategize

Nice cope, I hope Neil read this. Damn really, MP wasn't his, the studio leads promoting it on stage multiple times project? Wow, must have been the janitors? Lmao, the final stage of the cope, Neil isn't even important or responsible for things in ND. 😂

And I read the leak, directly from the source, unlike you, so nice projection. Bruh, you think a fan had the dev code and dev debug build in his access pre realse? I've never heard this form of delusion, I'll add it to my mental mindbroken TLOU2 fans cope list.
He promoted it because he's the "face" of ND and their spokesperson, but that doesn't mean he was the lead on it, he was more on the show at that time.

Also, why are so bewildered at a fan getting early build footage? It's happened with alot of studios by now, TLOU2 wasn't the first gaming hack and it wasn't the last. Not even R* were safe from someone hacking/social engineering their way in, Insomniac literally got their entire 10 year pipepline and new game leaked lol.

Last edited:
He promoted it because he's the "face" of ND and their spokesperson, but that doesn't mean he was the lead on it, he was more on the show at that time.
Uh-huh, so Neil bears no responsibility as a studio lead for the projects failure? Interesting. May I ask, what does he do in his job then? Hanging out in the red carpet area, being ignored? And this is a good thing, in your opinion, that the studio lead lets a project fail because "he is just a spokesperson?" Very, very interesting on how I never heard that claim in all the years of me pointing out the development of the multiplayer is in trouble, and I'm only hearing this now from you. I wonder why.
Also, why are so bewildered at a fan getting early build footage? It's happened with alot of studios by now, TLOU2 wasn't the first gaming hack and it wasn't the last. Not even R* were safe from someone hacking/social engineering their way in, Insomniac literally got their entire 10 year pipepline and new game leaked lol.
There was never a hack claim, it was a leak footage of a dev build of the entire game, with the dev describing his reasoning for the leak and describing the development of Part 2 in detail, all his info also ended up being correct. A fan doesn't have access to this and a hack was not claimed, so once again, sorry, but you are for some reason rewriting history in your head.

Strategize

Uh-huh, so Neil bears no responsibility as a studio lead for the projects failure? Interesting. May I ask, what does he do in his job then? Hanging out in the red carpet area, being ignored? And this is a good thing, in your opinion, that the studio lead lets a project fail because "he is just a spokesperson?" Very, very interesting on how I never heard that claim in all the years of me pointing out the development of the multiplayer is in trouble, and I'm only hearing this now from you. I wonder why.

There was never a hack claim, it was a leak footage of a dev build of the entire game, with the dev describing his reasoning for the leak and describing the development of Part 2 in detail, all his info also ended up being correct. A fan doesn't have access to this and a hack was not claimed, so once again, sorry, but you are for some reason rewriting history in your head.
Did anybody ever believe Neil was leading the multiplayer team? I'm shocked you thought so lol. Like you never once found it strange that he was writing the TV and directing an episode at the same time it was starting to ramp up development. I mean I'm sure he did something on it, but the reality is the two games he didn't direct (UC Lost Legacy and TLOU factions) were the ones that weren't successful. One flopped sales wise and the other didn't release, take that as you will.

Also the only person rewriting history is you, all this stuff was in the documentary. You got all that shit from a fake reddit post and I say this because I remember it aswell, it was all bullshit. The info he got on the development came from a bloomberg crunch article months before.

Anyway if you want a more technical reasoning on how it happened it's here in this twitter thread. Take a read if you're interested.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

Waste of time. let less talented devs work on some kiddy crap.

Kids have ruined the industry enough already with their never ending support for fortnite and other GAAS trash. leave my games ND alone
Interesting....why would "kiddy crap" require "less talented devs" ?

Banjo64

cumsessed
With this news, Japan seemingly cracking down on unlimited budgets, forever deadlines and cancelling crap live service games - I’m actually optimistic that Sony might return to form at some point.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Its kinda easy to ignore. Abbey was big (It was dumb and literally if her arms were like earlier it would of been fine) Nadine beat up 2guys… These things dont really bother me compared to the rest of the shit woke/femnist agenda does. Didnt stop the games from being great. Abbey just looked silly.
Maybe for you, and that's fine. But when a game proselytizes to its audience so hamfistedly it breaks any sense of immersion for me.

Kokoloko85

Maybe for you, and that's fine. But when a game proselytizes to its audience so hamfistedly it breaks any sense of immersion for me.
Which part? That women can have silly sized arms?
Or beat up 2 guys at once?

Honesty after watching unrealistic cinema/TV, anime, cartoons, reading comics and playing video games for almost 4 decades, something like that isnt the most unrealist thing Ive seen to break my immersion lol.

Theres a bunch of people who rightfully complain about cancel culture and wokism, which I despise. But alot of those same people became so sensitive to 2 games made by ND lol.

To me there just great games

Hudo

Bye. I'd love for ND to do more "kiddy" games like Jak & Daxter again.
Me too.

Even though Uncharted 2 was the best game from them, imho. Because it had the best balance between being "video gamey" and a "cinematic experience". ND steered way to heavy into the latter with later games. And it ended up not working out for TLoU2, imho. Because the writing and pacing was crap in that game (among other things). And I say that as someone who really liked TLoU1. Dunno what happened to Druckmann between these games but I lost all interest in the IP after TLoU2.

I'd rather have ND either make a new Jak & Daxter or something new, with Druckmann maybe as advisor but not as writer or director.

Last edited:
Top Bottom