• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New to Anime, where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashenor

Hi,

I have not watched much anime and would like to start somewhere. Could you guys recommend some good series or a few to start watching to see what i like.

I like most Japanese RPG's, i have looked a few times but i really don't know much about most of the stuff out there and its a tad overwhelming.

Thanks for the help

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Best to say what type of things you like.

Action? Drama? Comedy? Romance?

Really good intro to anime would be movies, since they don't need as much a time investment. Hayao Miyazaki and Satoshi Kon films are pretty much all good.

Here are some Favorite series, all tend to be nice places to start.

Gurren Lagann (Action/sci fi)
Evangelion (Action/Sci Fi/Drama)
Nodame Cantabile (Romance/Comedy)
Kinos Journey (Action/Drama)
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo (Drama)
Last Exile (Action/Drama)
Haibane Renmei (Drama)
Rurouni Kenshin (Action)
Cowboy Bebop (Action/Sci Fi)
Trigun (Action/Sci Fi)

Jokey665

If you're looking for something action-y try one of these:
Yu Yu Hakusho
Hunter X Hunter
Berserk
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

If you're looking for something not really action-y but still crazy awesome try one of these:
Death Note
Monster

If you want something with adorable characters and no action or anything try one of these:
Azumanga Daioh
Lucky Star

There's a lot of other good stuff out there, but these are some of my favourites. They're all pretty popular, but with good reason for the most part.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Cowboy Bebop
Hajime no Ippo (Fighting spirit in the US)
12 Kingdoms

Watch all three. If you don't like them, stop watching anime right away ;)

TheExodu5

Banned
If you're looking for a show with awesome art, amazing music, and a great story (up until the end of the first big arc) then watch Death Note. Around episode 26 or so, you'll know when the first arc is over, then the show becomes pretty bad after that...save for the ending. It's still my favorite anime, largely in part due to the best soundtrack I've heard in the genre.

Ashenor

I think i would like some action stuff, but again i have not watched any really so not sure what i would be into.

What is the best way to purchase or watch most? Import stores, or local shops?

Anything with a hack and slash fantasy type setting?

Jokey665

Blimblim said:
Cowboy Bebop
Hajime no Ippo
12 Kingdoms

Sorry, I hated Cowboy Bebop but I didn't stop watching anime. Why should I have?

mAcOdIn

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (Has to be downloaded from the internet since there's no English version officially released, also has a sequel called Zoku Sayonara Sensei)

Do it.

Edit:
Also
Cowboy Bepop (available in the US)
Wolf's Rain (available in the US)
Project A-Ko (available in the US)
Macross (available in the US)
Macross Plus (available in the US)
When the Cicadas Cry (available in the US)
Ghost in the Shell (available in the US)
Full Metal Alchemist (available in the US)
Spirited Away (available in the US)
Princess Mononoke (available in the US)
History's Strongest Disciple: Kenichi (available in the US)

Kurenia (not available in the US)

For starters

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Ashenor said:
I think i would like some action stuff, but again i have not watched any really so not sure what i would be into.

Try Cowboy Bebop or Gurren Lagann (if you like the TV show Firefly, then definitely try Cowboy Bebop).

If you want action with less of a sci fi edge, try Trigun or Rurouni Kenshin.

Meier

Blimblim said:
Cowboy Bebop
Hajime no Ippo (Fighting spirit in the US)
12 Kingdoms

Great suggestions. The guy is new, recommendations should be commercially appealing... I'd also suggest Evangelion and possibly something goofy like Love Hina. That would cover much of the spectrum and all are readily available.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Jokey665 said:
Sorry, I hated Cowboy Bebop but I didn't stop watching anime. Why should I have?
Well as long as you didn't hate all 3, you should be fine. I listed three widly different type of shows, and I consider (my opinion) each of them to be the top of their niche.
I'll freely admin Cowboy Bebop isn't for everyone though. In fact on my first viewing I found it pretty boring. Then I came to listen to the OSTs, loved the music, and learned to enjoy the show itself.

Gruco

Banned
As someone who doesn't watch much, I think Cowboy Bebop and Trigun are both good choices. Easy to get into, pretty well contained storylines.

Actually, I might keep my eye on this thread....I've never really bothered to go beyond early 00s adult swim, but have seen enough interesting stuff to assume that more is out there...

Oh yeah, Paranoia Agent is also pretty cool.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I also think the FMP series (Full Metal Panic) were good "starters" for newbies. Good mix of everything in the first season, then the 2nd season is all comedy, with the 3rd mainly action/drama.

Rur0ni

BarrelMakingPenguin said:
I think Death Note is an obvious answer. Great Teacher Onizuka is great as well.
Wow I forgot all about GTO. That is a good one. Required viewing, OP.

edit: Shit! Full Metal Panic and especially FMP: The Second Raid are worth viewing.

madara

Anime is so subjective I've seen opinions all over the place. Cowboy Bepop and other one, Samurai Champoo(sp?) are safe bets. For pure charming world, the japanese Cardcaptor Sakura is pure gem if your anime doesn't always need blood or violence.
Vampire Princess Miyu Ova's are what got me into anime ages ago and I think they hold up well I say.
Death note, Eureka Seven, Studio Ghibli films, Naruto and One piece are obvious choices. During that crazy Best Buy sale I got Princess Tutu, Mushi Shi, La Chevalier D` Eon, they look interesting so hopefully not too much filler.

Yeah, Hajime No Ippo is definitely one to check out

My list includes:

Naruto - all about ninjas; don't take it too seriously and you'll get hooked (I'm talking the Japanese sub versions; I can't stand how Naruto sounds in English)

Bleach - all about Death Gods; same as Naruto but with more frequent fighting scenes; like Naruto, again, I prefer subs over dubs here

Kodomo no Omocha - VERY good comedy drama about a hyperactive girl who's also a TV star; unfortunately, decent subbing stops at around episode 50

Hikaru No Go - addictive as hell; and yes, Sai *is* a guy lol

Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, FLCL - even if plot is crappy, watch it just for the great animation quality and attention to detail

Noir - shady anime about a pair of female assassins, good music

Monster - gritty novel about a doctor who was framed for murder and takes off from there (very very bad summary I know :lol )

For some hilariously bad English versions of anime but they still somehow grow on you, check out Yu-Gi-Oh and Digimon seasons 1 - 3

Another good place to start would be what's listed here: http://www.animenfo.com/statistic/top.php?type=anime

Walshicus

cmonmanreally said:
cowboy bebop. then stop.
Pretty much.

I mean, Bebop has it's clichés but at least it's not weighed down by them. Best thing is to not get into animé. Doesn't mean you shouldn't watch one or two of the better pieces, but as a genre you'll do yourself no good in "getting into it".

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Can someone fill me in on what order I should watch the Gundam movies in? I'd greatly appreciate it as I'd like to get into this series since it's a classic and all.

Snaku

Banned

It's not technically anime, although there are similarities. It's basically the Shounen genre done right (sorry One Piece, too much filler). Lovable characters, fascinating world, brilliant fights, consistently wonderful animation, beautiful music, and a great story spread across three seasons with nearly perfect pacing. Oh, and the four episode finale is some of the finest television to have ever aired. It's a remarkable show.

dragonball-z-old-version.jpg

Mumei

Ashenor said:
Hi,

I have not watched much anime and would like to start somewhere. Could you guys recommend some good series or a few to start watching to see what i like.

I like most Japanese RPG's, i have looked a few times but i really don't know much about most of the stuff out there and its a tad overwhelming.

Thanks for the help

I'm going to list some that I particularly like, organizing them by length.

100+ Episodes

One Piece
Legend of the Galactic Heroes

52 - 100 Episodes

Monster
Rurouni Kenshin
Hajime no Ippo
Hunter x Hunter (TV Series + 3 OVAs)

27 - 51 Episodes

Juuni Kokki / The Twelve Kingdoms
Crest of the Stars / Banner of the Stars I - III (Series)
Full Metal Alchemist
Full Metal Panic / Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu / Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid
Great Teacher Onizuka

14 - 26 Episodes

Mushishi
Azumanga Daioh
Gankutsuou
Ouran High School Host Club
Planetes

Under 6 Episodes / Movie

Rurouni Kenshin Meiji Kenkaku Romantan Tsuiokuhen / Samurai X: Trust & Betrayal
Laputa: Castle in the Sky
Grave of the Fireflies
Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo / The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

It's not everything I like, but it's a reasonably broad range of styles. I'd either start with something short, like Castle in the Sky (or most other Miyazaki movies, for that matter), or something that is really approachable, like Hajime no Ippo (or, as someone else said, Cowboy Bebop).

Or just pick one at random that sounds interesting.

mAcOdIn

Sir Fragula said:
Pretty much.

I mean, Bebop has it's clichés but at least it's not weighed down by them. Best thing is to not get into animé. Doesn't mean you shouldn't watch one or two of the better pieces, but as a genre you'll do yourself no good in "getting into it".
Bah, it's just like our entertainment industry, that's like saying not to get into American TV, 99% of it sucks, same with anime.

Watch the shows you like skip the ones you don't.

I guess good advice would be to not act like a dork when it comes to anime but that goes without saying I guess.

Ashenor

Thanks for the help so far. i appreciate it.

Sounds like Cowboy Bebop will be the first and from there i have quite a list wrote down so far.

Keep the suggestions coming i appreciate the suggestions and the time to write them out.

Ashenor

Why the don't start comments?

Because they are addicting once you start, or because a lot suck, or because a lot are considered kiddy or something?

Just trying to figure out why someone would say not to watch them, i have always been interested just never really knew where to start or what i would like.

I am sick of the stuff on US tv so looking at watching something new for a bit.

Blader

How can anyone hate Cowboy Bebop?

I recommend Bebop, Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal, Trigun, and Fullmetal Alchemist to start with. Then after that you can start branching out into the "weirder" ones, like FLCL and Evangelion.

Stitch

Gold Member
All Ghiblis. But not Grave of the fireflies because it will make you emo for years. Maybe forever.
Vampire Hunter D
Ninja Scroll
Gunsmith Cats
City Hunter
Lupin
Ichigo Mashimaro

Grave of the Fireflies, My Neighbor Totoro, and The Castle of Cagliostro.

These are three excellent, self-contained, superbly-done animated films that almost everyone can enjoy.

I don't recommend 'getting into' anime. Generally, anime is really bad. Like anything else there are a few exceptional works. But it's mostly bad to anybody who doesn't develop a taste for it.

Blader

SonicMegaDrive said:
Grave of the Fireflies, My Neighbor Totoro, and The Castle of Cagliostro.

These are three excellent, self-contained, superbly-done animated films that almost everyone can enjoy.

I don't recommend 'getting into' anime. Generally, anime is really bad. Like anything else there are a few exceptional works. But it's mostly bad to anybody who doesn't develop a taste for it.

They're also a lot of shitty TV shows, movies, and songs out there. That doesn't mean you shouldn't "get into" tv, film, or music. Like with anything entertainment-related, anime has a handful of gems among a mountain of crap.

7Th

Blader5489 said:
They're also a lot of shitty TV shows, movies, and songs out there. That doesn't mean you shouldn't "get into" tv, film, or music. Like with anything entertainment-related, anime has a handful of gems among a mountain of crap.

I just think that the idea of "getting into" something is ridiculous.

7Th

Son of Godzilla said:
That makes no sense. At all.

Just watch what you want to watch, that's what I mean. The idea of "getting into anime" implies a distinction I don't really agree with.

Ashenor

Getting into for me = watching something that does not suck, hence why i asked here and have got a lot of useful help so far.

Looking around a bit Berserk and Noir looked like something i might like to on top of a bunch of others.

Another nub question i see OVA listed a lot what does that mean?

I read a bit of the One piece and bleach novels, i might start watching One Piece some but 150+ episodes makes it a bit daunting heh.

inner-G

Banned
OnePiece.PNG

One Piece. Great show, just bear with it through the first episodes, it picks up and is one of the best series ever imo. It really has an appeal for all ages, and has both drama and hilarity, mixed with some kick-ass fights and a very interestin premise/backstory.

If you like quirky comedies, I'd also recommend Yakitate!! Ja-Pan, a comedy about competitive pastry and bread baking. Yes, baking. Seriously one of the funniest series I've seen of any kind of show.

Ashenor said:
Another nub question i see OVA listed a lot what does that mean?
Original Video Anime - basically straight to DVD specials that didn't air on TV or play in theaters.

Forkball

Anime is more accessible to get into these days since a lot of series have cheap boxsets now. Here are a few recommendations in various genres:

Fantasy

Escaflowne
01.jpg

If you like JRPGs, you should love this series. It's about a high school girl who gets transported to a fantasy world in the midst of a major war between kingdoms. It sounds pretty typical, but it's not. Great story, interesting characters, awesome action, and it all takes place in a captivating world. You can get the entire series for $30-$40 at Best Buy.

Princess Mononoke
Princess%20Mononoke%20pic2.jpg

This is a movie, but you should still check it out. In fact, I believe if you want to get into anime you should check out movies first since they are shorter, cheaper, and a lot of them destroy any series out there. This is a fantasy story about a cursed prince who gets caught in a war between humans and the spirits of a nature. A truly incredible film, one of my favorite movies ever, animated or not. You should watch EVERY film from Hayao Miyazaki since they range from very good to masterpieces. You cannot go wrong with him.

Action

Cowboy Bebop
cowboy-bebop.jpg

Easily one of the most accessible anime out there. It's a mix of sci-fi, action, crime drama, etc. Everyone who has seen this show has more or less loved it. There really isn't much that I can say that hasn't been said before. You can buy the series for $40 at Best Buy.

Hellsing/Hellsing Ultimate
hellsing13ne.jpg

A show about vampire hunters, how can you go wrong? There's two shows, Hellsing and Hellsing Ultimate. Hellsing is a 13 episode series while Hellsing Ultimate is an OVA (original video animation, think of it as a direct to dvd series) that is still going on. The tv show is a good action show, but it also mixes it horror, suspense, and more character drama. Hellsing Ultimate is just a balls out gory wild crazy murder spree. They're both pretty different but I like them equally.

Sci-Fi

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
GITS-sac.jpg

This is a well-rounded series that excels in a lot of areas. Exciting action, good cop show drama, some interesting philosophical mumbo jumbo, unique characters, and just in general good sci fi elements you'd expect from the genre. There are two seasons (the second one is called 2nd GiG) and I recommend both of them. The first season mostly focuses on the overall story arc and the society and culture of the world. The second season gives more attention to the characters. Both are great and worth checking out.

Neon Genesis Evangelion
evangelion-_359.thumbnail.jpg

Ah Eva, probably the most infamous anime series of all time. It's required watching for any anime fan though, and it still stands the test of time. A really fascinating series with now iconic characters. There are so many different boxsets for this, but I think the Platinum one is the cheapest, it should be around $60.

Drama

Haibane Renmei
haibane-1.jpg

This 13 episode drama is about a young girl who is reborn into a melancholic world where everyone looks like angels. A strange description, but it's a great character drama even though it's a bit slow. The boxset is around $50 I think.

Grave of the Fireflies
grave_of_fireflies_xl_01.jpg

Another anime film many dub as a masterpiece, Grave of the Fireflies follows two children who try to survive in Japan during the closing days of World War II. Beautiful but heart-wrenching, it is a must-see film for anyone.

Adventure

Kino's Journey
kino-small.jpg

This show follows a young traveler who chronicles different areas around the world. It's an episodic show and a story arc with the main character doesn't appear until the very end, but each new area has a slew of interesting characters and situations with some amusing lessons. Also, her motorcycle talks. A really wonderful show, it's about $30 for the entire show.

Trigun
AS-Trigun.jpg

I just kinda shoved this show in adventure. It's about a gunman who has supposedly massacred entire cities, but the truth is far more interesting. If you like westerns you'd like this. It also has a lot of sci-fi elements and character drama. I'm not sure if there's a cheap boxset for this.

Horror/Suspense

Paranoia Agent
paranoiaagentqt9.jpg

People are randomly getting attacked by a kid with rollerblades wielding a baseball bat, but what is the connection? What is happening to this town? The show has a lot of pretty disturbing stuff, but it's fascinating with some realistic and well-developed characters. The director is Satoshi Kon, and the rest of his works are must sees as well.

Boogiepop Phantom
boogiepop+phantom.jpg

A strange pillar of light explodes from the middle of town, and the show follows random people who were affected. Similar to Paranoia Agent, it mixes strange supernatural horror with character drama. It's really interesting and stylistic, it's unlike any anime series.

Those are just a few recommendations. There's a lot of good anime out there, but there's also a lot of bad things. I recommend you try movies first and then move onto series. The good thing about anime is that there are so many unique and genre-innovating stories out there that you won't find anywhere else. The bad thing is that you might meet a guy who will not shut the hell up about Haruhi Suzimiya or whatever the hell her name is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom