• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New to Anime, where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashenor

On a side not how is reading vs watching some of these?

Anything really great to read? I read a few bleach and one piece before. Is Berserk or Escaflowne out in manga or something else that might be better to read then watch?

Thanks

My first movie was Ghost in the Shell and my first series was Evangelion. Both are good places to start if you're into scifi with character drama.

If you aren't bothered by older animation styles I think VOTOMS would be a cool first show. Like Eva and GitS it has an expansive and interesting setting that you can really get into. The dvds might be a bit difficult to find now, but you could always netflix it.

Everyone seems to love Fullmetal Alchemist and if you live in an area where it's availiable you can watch Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood online for free on the Funimation or Madman websites. It's a completely new retelling so you can jump right in without knowing anything.

thetechkid

Ashenor said:

Anything really great to read? I read a few bleach and one piece before. Is Berserk or Escaflowne out in manga or something else that might be better to read then watch?

Thanks

Pretty much for every manga that has an anime, the manga version is better.

Tamanon

Banned
Blader5489 said:
Speaking of Escaflowne...

Is the dub any good? I remember it aired on Fox Kids many many years ago, and everyone pretty much hated it, but was that because of the forced editing or was the dub just bad to begin with?

It was pretty bleh. remember, it was dubbed during the time when anime companies didn't have a deep bench of voice acting talent.

Decado

I wouldn't start with Evangelion. You may like it, but it could also turn you off anime. A "safer" bet is something like Cowboy Bebop. Personally, I find that Evangelion embodies a lot of what I hate about anime and if I started there, I'd likely never have watched another.

hirokazu said:
Oftentimes the manga is much much better than the anime since it's usually (not always) the source material.
Then there are the rare cases where both are awesome in different ways, eg. Planetes.

Ashenor

Picked up the first Death Note Manga today, i really like it so far.

How many eposides are normally in a manga like Death Note or One piece.

Any online sites that sell Manga's cheaper then cover price?

Thanks

JavyOO7

I'm not sure if this anime is mainstream in Japan or not but I really like it (it made me like baseball a bit more). "Major" is a pretty awesome anime about baseball. Tons of drama.

Ashenor said:

That won't last long. :\ I gave up after volume three.

I don't know if you're in America or not, but the Death Note anime is available subbed on hulu.com.

thetechkid

Ashenor said:

Any online sites that sell Manga's cheaper then cover price?

Thanks

Death Note had like 37 episodes, while One Piece is currently +400

Tamanon

Banned
Ashenor said:
Sorry i meant like volume one of Death note Manga is that like 3 eposides of the anime?

Going by the chapter descriptions, it's four episodes or so at a time for manga ----> anime.

Ashenor

Ended up doing more reading then watching so far.

Picked up the first 4 Deathnote's, Fairy tails 1, Berserk 1 and 2, and Rosario + Vampire 1.

Going to watch Cowboy Bebop this week and some others though.

Decado

Dark FaZe said:
I must be the only person who's watched a shitload of anime but isn't a big fan of Bebop. Watched the first 4 episodes and got bored.
Quite possibly. I hope so, anyway.

JayDubya

Banned
Dark FaZe said:
I must be the only person who's watched a shitload of anime but isn't a big fan of Bebop. Watched the first 4 episodes and got bored.

You should have at least watched one more. Episode 5 is "Ballad of Fallen Angels."

I didn't like all of the episodic content in Bebop, but I loved the Spike / Vicious / Julia serial content.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Dark FaZe said:
Huh, that's too bad. Ep 5 is usually where most people say the show "grabbed" them, although it grabbed me by the end of ep 1, to be honest :lol

Jokey665

Dark FaZe said:
I watched the whole show and hated it. I kept expecting it would get better but it never did.

The only thing more overrated than Cowboy Bebop is its soundtrack. Blue can suck it. You bet I went there!
I actually really like Bebop.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I used to watch a little anime but haven't in a long time, and all of a sudden I've had an urge to watch some more for some reason. I don't know where to start though, and I don't feel like trying out a million anime before I find one I like.

If, from what I remember, I really liked these:
Cowboy Bebop (Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck the haters)
Evangelion (only watched first handful of episodes)
Berserk
Lain Serial Experiments or whatever it's called (a little too slow and weird for me, but I enjoyed it)

but didn't care for:
Trigun
Gundam
Dragon Ball Z

any recommendations? more interested in tv shows than movies. I'm thinking maybe I should just restart Evangelion. I don't know why I stopped watching past the first disc or two, but that was like 8-9 years ago.

I'm mostly interested in stuff with good character development but also some action and/or adventure, and cool settings. More interested in modern or futuristic/sci-fi than medieval/fantasy stuff. Also, the less goofy shit the better. I think that's why I was turned off from Trigun after finishing Bebop, hoping it would be similar.

Mumei

demon said:
I'm mostly interested in stuff with good character development but also some action and/or adventure, and cool settings. More interested in modern or futuristic/sci-fi than medieval/fantasy stuff. Also, the less goofy shit the better. I think that's why I was turned off from Trigun after finishing Bebop, hoping it would be similar.

Maybe something like Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex? It's more modern / futuristic / sci-fi, has some action / adventure, cool setting, pretty good characterization, and plenty of action.

JayDubya

Banned
ninj4junpei said:
The only thing more overrated than Cowboy Bebop is its soundtrack. Blue can suck it. You bet I went there!

You sonuvabitch. There are fighting words, and then there are fighting words, and then there's the shit you just pulled.

smurfx

get some go again
i recommend you watch some miyakazi films first. after that watch some shonen anime and see if you like that. naruto, bleach, one piece is good.

JayDubya said:
You sonuvabitch. There are fighting words, and then there are fighting words, and then there's the shit you just pulled.
Hook, line, and sinker. ;)

I really love Blue... until the main vocals start.

Enkidu

Ashenor said:

Thanks
I'm not that big into anime overall but I will say that if you ever are interested in getting through Dragonball the manga is definitely the way to go. As always, the early sagas are much better but the Z stuff is not nearly as drawn out as they were in the anime.

Blader

Tamanon said:
It was pretty bleh. remember, it was dubbed during the time when anime companies didn't have a deep bench of voice acting talent.

That's a shame. As sacrilegious as this might sound, I usually prefer watching something dubbed instead of subbed.

mAcOdIn

Jokey665 said:
Clearly you have not heard Norio Wakamoto's voice.
Lol, according to wikipedia they dub his voice over Vince McMahon in Japan. It'd be cooler if he was the one doing the commentating.

Ashenor said:
Hi,

I have not watched much anime and would like to start somewhere. Could you guys recommend some good series or a few to start watching to see what i like.

I like most Japanese RPG's, i have looked a few times but i really don't know much about most of the stuff out there and its a tad overwhelming.

Thanks for the help

Good Anime existed (for me at least) from the late 80's till around 2000 (perhaps a bit after, but not much). Most series after that ended up losing interest very quickly as I felt the classic hand drawn style was being more and more replaced with the cold, artificial inclusion of computers "helping" out too much in more and more series. That and more and more series were that of the Japanese creators running out of ideas and venturing into "WTF_IS_GOING_THE_F*CK_ON?!?!?" territory.

Click

Banned
Well, most of the ones I'd recommend have already been posted multiple times.

But I'm a bit surprised nobody has mentioned Basilisk or Samurai 7. Not the best, but they're both pretty good, somewhat short mini-series to start out an anime "career" with.

Even though these have already been posted, this is my personal list:

Rurouni Kenshin - Quite possibly my all-time favorite anime series. Somewhat large series, including all OVAs/movies. Everyone should watch this amazing series.

Bleach - Episodes 1-63 is pure anime crack. After that, the fillers start to ruin the series, but it's still very good when it gets back on track with the main, manga storyline.

Dragon Ball Z - Classic series. Too many fillers, so it can get boring at times, but still one of the best anime series ever.

Last Exile - Surprisingly very good series. Great characters, memorable moments, good story.

Full Metal Panic! - Fun series.

Yu Yu Hakusho - Good series, but not for everyone.

Naruto - Yeah, yeah. It's marketed to kiddies and there's just way too many fillers, but it can still be a fun and interesting series at times.

Gundam Wing - Sadly, I haven't really watched the other Gundams, but this is a pretty good series. I really liked it back in the day.

Trigun - Didn't watch the entire thing but I've seen most of the episodes, including the last few. Pretty good series.

And of course, the 2 classic anime movies everyone should watch are Ninja Scroll and Vampire Hunter D.

That's all I can think of right now. I'm sure I'm missing a few, but what I've listed are some must-watch anime.

bounchfx

vicissitudes said:
dragonball-z-old-version.jpg

the only real place to start

54-46!

I'm assuming you're talking about series and not movies here, I think these three are pretty good starting points for a newcomer to anime.

- Azumanga Daioh - Slice of life comedy about six high school girls and their daily lives.

- Cowboy Bebop - Episodic action/comedy/sci-fi series about bounty hunters in space.

- Rurouni Kenshin (OVA) - Samurai anime with a good mix of drama and action.

I would NOT recommend stuff like Evangelion or Lain for starters, they aren't easy to get in to..

Decado

Click said:
But I'm a bit surprised nobody has mentioned Basilisk or Samurai 7. Not the best, but they're both pretty good, somewhat short mini-series to start out an anime "career" with.
I counted Basilisk as one of my favourites...until I watched it again. The first 1/3 of the show is really compelling...but it felt really drawn out and uninteresting afterwards. A great show to see once...but my 2nd time through tells me there won't be a third. Samurai 7 has some nice animation, but everything else was below par. Watch Samurai Champloo instead.

For the OP...stay away from overly long series like Naruto, Bleach, etc. Far more bad than good.

Click

Banned
Decado said:
I counted Basilisk as one of my favourites...until I watched it again. The first 1/3 of the show is really compelling...but it felt really drawn out and uninteresting afterwards. A great show to see once...but my 2nd time through tells me there won't be a third. Samurai 7 has some nice animation, but everything else was below par. Watch Samurai Champloo instead.

For the OP...stay away from overly long series like Naruto, Bleach, etc. Far more bad than good.

I never watch anime series multiple times. You already know what's going to happen and it just takes too damn long to re-watch them multiple times. Obviously they're going to lose their initial "shine" and the "freshness" is no longer there. Anime movies are easier to re-watch, if they're good.

However, I have been thinking about re-watching a few anime series that I haven't seen in a while. I just never get around to doing so...

hirokazu

Decado said:
I wouldn't start with Evangelion. You may like it, but it could also turn you off anime. A "safer" bet is something like Cowboy Bebop. Personally, I find that Evangelion embodies a lot of what I hate about anime and if I started there, I'd likely never have watched another.
I won't disagree your "Don't start with Evangelion" thing, but what sort of things about Evangelion embodies what you hate about anime?

There are so many genres and styles of anime, and Evangelion certainly doesn't define what all (or even most) anime is about anyhow.

ReiGun

Xabora said:
Because no one posted it, and everyone has posted everything else. :p

Thank you for reminding me about Slayers, because I (shamefully) somehow managed to forget it. OP, listen to this man.

Dark FaZe said:

Definitely not. Cowboy Bebop is probably the most overrated Anime ever. I didn't finish it either.

mAcOdIn

I don't hate Evangelion, I think it was merely above average although it had some good ideas and a few epic scenes but as a show it was above average.

What I hate are Evangelion, and when I say this I don't mean merely someone who likes it I mean someone who takes it seriously, like real serious, then they piss me off to no end. Reason is, because while I think they're obviously crazy for taking a work of fiction as some legitimate religious history(yes I know there was a Lillith, don't care) worthy of lengthy discussion or it's take on humanity as some deep concept, it was a cartoon! Just because you masked your bandage girl fetish and suicidal thoughts with classical music doesn't mean it's all of a sudden some great piece that needs to be studied in philosophy class. Really though, what sets them at the top of my hate list though is all the other weird genres of anime are clearly stupid and have appropriate labels, like incest, rape, pedophilia, but what do you classify someone who's taken Evangelion to the extreme, a pseudo intellect? Doesn't sting enough.

JayDubya

Banned
Evangelion pseudo-intellect, reporting for duty!

Seriously though, the show is deep, and there's a lot of interesting biological, psychological, philosophical, and religious subtext.

I think it's clear at this point that not all of it was preplanned and that some of those elements were only chosen because they looked cool to the artists. Doesn't really diminish it too much, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom