• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New to Anime, where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashenor

Thanks Forkball, very good info.

Escaflowne looks like something i will have to check out for sure.

I see quite a few on your list i want to check out also.

Gully State said:
Not sure you should start with Cowboy Bebop b/c every other anime you watch after that just won't stand up.
Cowboy Bebop is one of the most overrated anime i have seen the majority of the episodes were putting me to sleep when i was watching it and this is after the guy who told me about swore i would never watch anything better, One Piece kicks the shit out of it.

TheExodu5

Banned
Feral Youth said:
30cbd0cf1d55d0_full.jpg

I'd say do it until episode 64. After that, the series turns to shit (save for maybe 5-10 Hecomundo or w/e they call it episodes). Bear with it for the first dozen or so episodes, since they're pretty unrelated (though entertaining).

edit: wait...is this not real Bleach?

Blader5489 said:
They're also a lot of shitty TV shows, movies, and songs out there. That doesn't mean you shouldn't "get into" tv, film, or music. Like with anything entertainment-related, anime has a handful of gems among a mountain of crap.

Exactly. You shouldn't 'get into' any of that.

Just enjoy the small handful of quality that exists in entertainment and leave the crap on the curb.

These two are must-sees:
Baccano
Planetes

Worthy mentions:
Mnemosyne
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (for the more seasoned anime viewer)
Ghost in the Shell SAC
Ghost in the Shell SAC 2nd Gig
Speed Grapher (crappy graphics, but entertaining show)
FLCL

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Cowboy Bebop is probably the most approachable anime and the safest bet. Not the best, but I'd say it's probably the best introduction available. It's short (unlike Shoto stuff like Naruto or Bleach) and episodes are stand-alone.

Trigun is a fun series. Vash is probably my favorite character in all of anime. It's another series that's easy to get into, but all episodes aren't stand-alone, so it'll get you used to the structure of most anime.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is very good but also very cerebral. You're going to have to pay attention to really get it. Watch both seasons if you can, in order. Most of the episodes in the first season are actually stand-alone but there's about 5 episodes peppered throughout the season that should be watched in order. Only about half the second season is stand-alone. Recommended you watch the movie too.

Neon Genesis Evangelion is honestly, a must watch. It's a huge pillar in anime, but watching it first is risky. It'll either make you either love or hate anime.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Gully State said:
Not sure you should start with Cowboy Bebop b/c every other anime you watch after that just won't stand up.
I've seen more anime than most and I can say this isn't true.

Of course, I should also warn against getting too enamored with anime as "new", "different", and "cool". Because a lot of it truly is crap like anything else, and many anime fans haven't internalized this--even though they may say it--and have yet to become discriminate. Some actually enjoy the creepy shows.

JayDubya

Banned
Ashenor said:
Anything with a hack and slash fantasy type setting?

Dear friend,

Kentaro Miura's Berserk.

Manga and / or Anime.

Good stuff. Presuming that content that would be NC-17 and then some does not offend you. Very dark horror / fantasy. Very hack. Very slash.

Sincerely,
Teh JayDubs

P.S. If you're looking for more T-rated and / or High Fantasy rather than Fantasy / Horror, Record of Lodoss War ain't bad - the OVA, anyway. Neither is Escaflowne, but then you're getting into the weird and wonderful realm of mecha, albeit hack-and-slash-high fantasy mecha.

Edit: While I'm mostly echoing, I'll also echo "Kenshin OVA" (aka Samurai X: Trust & Betrayal). Not fantasy, but certainly historical hack and slash, and it is fantastic.

JSnake

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is the greatest anime ever made. It's pure manly, hot-blooded action. You know how most series have a moment of awesome that shatters all expectations and makes you stand up and yell "FUCK YEAAAAHHHHHHHHH?" Gurren Lagann is exactly that. Only every second of every episode is exactly that. Not one episode goes by without you, the viewer, cumming your pants in an orgasm of manliness and holy fucking shit. The awesome gets kicked up to 11 from the opening of the first episode and it only goes up. Way up. By the end of the series, you'll be crying manly tears as the main character spouts off epic speech after epic speech and lays waste to his enemies in his giant robot the size of a galaxy. Want an idea of how much this show abuses scale (in a good way)? In the final battle, the two robots are so huge that black holes and galaxies become tangible objects and are used as platforms and ninja throwing stars.

Seriously just watch this show. It's incredible. Nothing else comes close.

Walshicus

JSnake said:
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is the greatest anime ever made. It's pure manly, hot-blooded action. You know how most series have a moment of awesome that shatters all expectations and makes you stand up and yell "FUCK YEAAAAHHHHHHHHH?" Gurren Lagann is exactly that. Only every second of every episode is exactly that. Not one episode goes by without you, the viewer, cumming your pants in an orgasm of manliness and holy fucking shit. The awesome gets kicked up to 11 from the opening of the first episode and it only goes up. Way up. By the end of the series, you'll be crying manly tears as the main character spouts off epic speech after epic speech and lays waste to his enemies in his giant robot the size of a galaxy. Want an idea of how much this show abuses scale (in a good way)? In the final battle, the two robots are so huge that black holes and galaxies become tangible objects and are used as platforms and ninja throwing stars.

Seriously just watch this show. It's incredible. Nothing else comes close.
You've just described something only a sixteen year old homeschooled kid could enjoy.

Yes, I know. Cry moar.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Feral Youth said:
YES. Woohoo! Finally. It's usually me and Zoe who always recommends Gintama to people, but I'm glad there's other people that are recommending it!

Jason said:
psst....gintama.
Yes yes yes yes!!

Seriously, I don't know why Gintama doesn't get the love it deserves. It's a great anime. There's a lot of comedy, great stories, references/parodies of other anime, amazing awesome action arcs...! What more could you possibly want? Oh yes, it also has a very great cast in terms of voice acting. One of the best I've heard in my opinion.

zldq8p.gif

2n9mhpk.gif

Forkball

JSnake said:
I don't get what that has to do with anything. :(
It means you probably haven't been watching anime for very long and you probably haven't checked out many shows that aren't from this decade, therefore you shouldn't make such lofty claims about something being the best ever. You could say it's your favorite, but to say something is the best ever makes people a bit more critical. Also because your tag is hilarious.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Ashenor said:
Besides Berserk (awesome), I can't think of anything of high quality in that setting. But for pure Fantasy (mixed with chinese tradition) I'd again recommend 12 Kingdoms. The first few episodes are a bit slow, but once it gets started it's imho the most amazing world shown in an anime. It comes from a series of novels, and it shows in the incredible amount of details that went into making that Fantasy world seem like something that could actually work.
I've "forced" quite a few of my coworkers to watch the first few episodes until the story gets started, and not a single one could stop until they where done with the main story arcs (ep. 39). This is a show that as the episode count goes by seem to be 22 minutes long, then 15 minutes long, then 5 minutes long and then 2 minutes long. And then it's over, and it sucks that there isn't anymore episodes :p

JSnake

Forkball said:
you probably haven't checked out many shows that aren't from this decade

I had a huge list of pre-2000 anime I've seen to prove you wrong but I accidently closed the tab and I'm not gonna type that shit again. but trust me, I've seen tons of anime that aren't from this decade.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Ashenor said:

Since everyone else is saying Escaflowne and Berserk, I'm going to say something else that usually gets under appreciated.

Scrapped Princess
SCRAPPED.jpg

The story takes place in a fantasy world and revolves around a 15-year-old girl, Pacifica Casull, who is a girl born into the royal family of the kingdom Leinwan and then abandoned. The 5111th Grendel Prophecy predicts that she is the "poison that will destroy the world" before the sun sets on her sixteenth birthday. As a consequence, she is dropped off a cliff as an infant. Believed to be dead, no one realizes her continued existence until after Pacifica is already 15 years old.

Ashenor said:
I think i would like some action stuff, but again i have not watched any really so not sure what i would be into.

What is the best way to purchase or watch most? Import stores, or local shops?

Berserk would be your best bet then.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm absolutely crazy for Samurai Champloo. Something about samurai + ambiant hip-hop strikes at the core of my personal interests. I really recommend it.

Threi said:
*edit* If you are into the style, Samurai Champloo has by far the best music/aesthetic of any anime ever made.
exactly :D

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Ashenor said:
What is the best way to purchase or watch most? Import stores, or local shops?

Lot of stuff is poping up on legit streaming sites (even netflix streaming) these days, check there. Some of the highlights on Netflix right now include Last Exile, Gankutsuou, and one of the greatest anime films ever made "Lupin III: The Castle Of Cagliostro"

I'd avoid import stores since some of them are known to carry bootlegs, but might ask around your area there might be a legit anime store.. Some best Buy stores also have decent selections and prices are reasonable (Though you can usually do better online)

Best place to buy anime is online, www.rightstuf.com is a great place and is known for frequent (and good) sales.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Feral Youth said:
Hunter X Hunter doesn't get enough love.
Good series, until it starts sucking as bad as the worst shonen ever. God damn the Greed Island episodes were freaking horrible. And the ones before that weren't that good either.

Somnid

If you start with Gurren Lagann you'll just be disappointed in everything that's not as awesome, which is all of it.

MCD

Somnid said:
If you start with Legend of the Galactic Heroes you'll just be disappointed in everything that's not as awesome, which is all of it.

Fixed.

also you will be depressed to hell with both, especially Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

I still haven't fully recovered yet.

Samurai Champloo is awesome.
One piece is awesome when you reach the 1/3 of the anime.
Gurren lagann the climax of the battles makes me think "Hell Yeah!".
FLCL for pure wtf moments.

Or you can just start with Ninja Scroll the movie.

hoverX

I might be dating myself, but Maison Ikkouku and Ranma are really good. Rumiko Takahashi is a classic manga author and the anime based on her books are amazing

mAcOdIn said:
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (Has to be downloaded from the internet since there's no English version officially released, also has a sequel called Zoku Sayonara Sensei)

Do it.
Quoted for truth, I actually found it a great satirical insight into Japanese culture/people/society in general, and I don't usually say that about anime. What's funny about it is that as ridiculous as the ideas present are, a lot of them are damn true. Seriously it's about the funniest/mind expanding thing you can watch.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
TheExodu5 said:
If you're looking for a show with awesome art, amazing music, and a great story (up until the end of the first big arc) then watch Death Note. Around episode 26 or so, you'll know when the first arc is over, then the show becomes pretty bad after that...save for the ending. It's still my favorite anime, largely in part due to the best soundtrack I've heard in the genre.
No kidding.

I have no idea what the author was thinking by killing L and then continuing the story after that. If he was going to let Light "win" he should have just "won" the whole series. Near was about the dumbest fucking character ever.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Sir Fragula said:
You've just described something only a sixteen year old homeschooled kid could enjoy.
That's hardly fair.

Gurren Lagann is great, give it a shot.

thetechkid

Betterman
Big O
Code Geass Lelouch
Cowboy Bebop
Death Note
DragonBall /Z/GT
Eureka 7
FLCL
Full-Metal Alchemist
Full Metal Panic!
Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu
Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid
Gad Guard
Genshiken
Gintama
Gun Grave
Hajime no Ippo
Initial D
Katekyo Hitman REBORN!
Mai Hime
Mobile Suit G Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam 00
Mobile Suit Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing

Neon Genesis Evangelion
One Piece
Rurouni Kenshi
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Solid State Society
S-Cry-ed
School Rumble
Soul Eater
Sousei no Aquarion
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki
Tenchi in Tokyo
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Trigun
Vandread
Yakitate!! Japan
Yu Yu Hakusho
Zoids: New Century Zero
Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

Munin

Bebop is the only anime series I've watched so far that has the same sense of subtlety and quiet poignancy as the Ghibli stuff. The rest is either clichéd, tries too hard, or sooner or alter surrenders to silly anime conventions. Every few months or so I try to get through a new series but I just give up at some point because it's 95% crap.

Mumei

Munin said:
Bebop is the only anime series I've watched so far that has the same sense of subtlety and quiet poignancy as the Ghibli stuff. The rest is either clichéd, tries too hard, or sooner or alter surrenders to silly anime conventions. Every few months or so I try to get through a new series but I just give up at some point because it's 95% crap.

Have you tried Mushishi?

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
my shortlist:
Kino's Journey
Kino's Journey
Kino's Journey
Kino's Journey
Kino's Journey
Kino's Journey
Kino's Journey
Kino's Journey
Kino's Journey
Kino's Journey
Kino's Journey
Kino's Journey
Kino's Journey
Kino's Journey
Kino's Journey
Kino's Journey
Kino's Journey

okay, i'm a bit of a fanboy of the series, and it helped to foster a love of British motorcycles, as well as help put into words my personal life philosophy.

anyway, also good to look into is... aw fuck it. the amount of anime i've processed over the last several years is so great i can't even really pull it all apart anymore. i guess K-ON! is a good one to look out for. it's fairly popular...

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
My favorites are...

Dragonball Z

Rurouni Kenshin

Yu Yu Hakusho

G Gundam

B't X

Ninja Scroll

and my most recent favorite has gotta be Full Metal Panic! both series as well as Fumoffu! I never thought an anime could legitimately make me laugh. Fumoffu is great.

Case Closed - So underrated, if you like mystery shows you'll LOVE this. Just know that it's very long (hundreds of episodes and counting, only 130 of which are dubbed, not to mention the future of the dub isn't set in stone), so you might like or dislike that. Personally I like it, because if I really like an anime it really sucks when it ends quickly.

Yu Yu Hakusho - Also underrated. Definitely the best shonen fighting anime out there, the dub is hilarious, and it's really cheap compared to other anime. I haven't watched much of One Piece, but I really don't get why people are in love with that serious and ignore this one.

Pimpwerx

Cowboy Bebop
Fullmetal Alchemist (start with the new series, not the original one)

These two are league better than the others I watch:
One Piece
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Naruto (if you skip the filler)

PEACE.

Mobius 1

Not enough Evangelion recommendations in this thread.

I would not recommend as the first series... and pay attention to the dialogue, it's where the genius of the series shows.

Get the Platinum edition, and watch it subbed as a lot of subtlety was lost in the dubbing process, not to mention glaring mistakes.

And avoid the newly released Rebuild movie.

Kola

Hmm, as a beginner I would start wit hsomething commercially appealing. Take Miyazaki for example. "Mononoke no hime" or "Sen to Chihiro" would be good choices I assume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom