• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeuroVoider selling well on Switch -> Number analysis

jariw

According to Nintendo Everything:
On Twitter, Thomas Altenburger from Flying Oak said that the Switch version managed to sell the same amount as the Steam release in its lifetime. While NeuroVoider was only available on Switch for a month, the Steam version was around for a full year, along with six months in the Early Access program.

http://nintendoeverything.com/neuro...sales-of-the-steam-version-in-just-one-month/

To me, the interesting things:
* NeuroVoider is a recent eShop release
* According to steamspy, NeuroVoider has about 18k (+-4k) owners on Steam.
* NeuroVoider has never been very high on the eShop charts (AFAIK?).

This leads me to guess that the big hit indies on the Switch eShop (Overcooked!, Stardew Valley, Golf Story, Steamworld Dig 2, etc) all have sold substantially more than 100k units each, without price reductions.

Perhaps some of these games might even reach Snipperclips numbers over time, which was 350,000 units after less than 2 months.
http://nintendoeverything.com/kimis...ps-350000-downloads-super-bomberman-r-500000/

What do you think?

Yesterday was the first time I think I had even heard of this game, or at least, first time I paid attention to it, and I'm a big follower of 'Nindies'.

It certainly flew under the radar due to the recent glut of 'big name' indie games that have been released, so it's a little surprising that it's apparently still doing well.

Jethro

* NeuroVoider has never been very high on the eShop charts (AFAIK?).

Yeah, it wasn't under the Top 10 here in Germany as far I remember. The game got my attention (4 player coop) and I need more impressions or a sale before I will grab it.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Yesterday was the first time I think I had even heard of this game, or at least, first time I paid attention to it, and I'm a big follower of 'Nindies'.

It certainly flew under the radar due to the recent glut of 'big name' indie games that have been released, so it's a little surprising that it's apparently still doing well.
Same, just heard about it from entering this thread

Unison

I bought it on Switch and have enjoyed it so far... Less repetitive than most roguelikes of this sort, with lots of cool customization possible.

There are a half-dozen eShop games you should buy first, I'd say, but it's well worth playing.

Nosgotham

i look through the new releases and upcoming games often. this game is deep. bought it day one because of the description. twin stick rpg sci fi loot rogue like. its pretty neat for sure

Unison

This leads me to guess that the big hit indies on the Switch eShop (Overcooked!, Stardew Valley, Golf Story, Steamworld Dig 2, etc) all have sold substantially more than 100k units each, without price reductions.

Yeah, I assumed it was feast or famine on the Switch eShop, but it's good to see that B-tier games are performing over expectations too.

This is great news. I was worried that with all of the recent releases, especially the big ones, we would start seeing some indies not quite getting the sales they were hoping for. It seems that not really an issue and even the indies that aren't breakout success stories are still doing well.

As for NeuroVoider, I've looked at it a couple of times on the eShop but with Golf Story and Stardew Valley I haven't had time for another indie. I'll continue to keep it on my radar and hopefully get to it at some point in the near future.

foxuzamaki

With games like fifa and nba2k aswell as db xenoverse2 being in the top 15 and for long periods of time should bold well for those sales

Three or four 1st party releases are perfect for the little indie lads, AAA doesn't seem that interested. Great for me too as I only care about those on switch, although it's just exclusive stuff like Golf Story and Stardew Valley (PS4 pro release should not be officially recognized!)

NateDrake

It sure does. Probably way above 100k

That's quite a jump to conclusion considering the eShop rankings are based on two weeks. This title not being in the Top 10 in any region and selling approximately 18k across (I assume NA/EU/JP) doesn't mean those that are in the Top 10 are selling 25k-100k digitally. They could be doing 15k in a region and be in the Top 5 for a two week period.

Unison

Three or four 1st party releases are perfect for the little indie lads, AAA doesn't seem that interested. Great for me too as I only care about those on switch, although it's just exclusive stuff like Golf Story and Stardew Valley (PS4 pro release should not be officially recognized!)

Yeah, Indie + Nintendo games has been enough to turn this into my most played system of 2017...

I think switch's limited number of releases resulting in much higher visibility as compared to steam is the driving factor. There's something to be said for the console approach to traditional curation as opposed to Valve's obstinate laissez-faire ethos.

Shizuka

How do you go from knowing a game sold better than 20k on Switch eShop to all those games selling substantially more than 100k each?

jariw

How do you go from knowing a game sold better than 20k on Switch eShop to all those games selling substantially more than 100k each?

It was a guess. A game that never has been on the eShop top 10, compared to eShop games that get into top-3 within a day after their release (when the eShop statistics is based on the last two weeks) seems to indicate quite a substantial difference in sales.

VariantX

Its probably good in the long run for smaller games on the switch. You don't have AAA titles sucking up all of the air all of the time like they do on the other platforms. You get a big name title or three every month or so with the switch but they don't crowd out the smaller games either because of their marketing muscle and brand recognition.

Peltz

I think switch's limited number of releases resulting in much higher visibility as compared to steam is the driving factor. There's something to be said for the console approach to traditional curation as opposed to Valve's obstinate laissez-faire ethos.

Yep, curation allows a higher percentage of games to be successful.

NateDrake

It was a guess. A game that never has been on the eShop top 10, compared to eShop games that get into top-3 within a day after their release (when the eShop statistics is based on the last two weeks) seems to indicate quite a substantial difference in sales.

But each eShop differs per region. The game could have sold 5k in NA/EU/JP and the highest selling game could be 15k and a bunch sold 6-10k during the same period to keep the game off the rankings.

I get it is just a guess.

Unison

The 100k estimate is bunk, but it seems like these are results that the developer should be thrilled about, which is the important thing... Not every game needs to sell 100k to be a success on its own terms.

czk51

Excellent game. I have it on PS4 and am yet to beat the second boss. Considering double-dipping to play on the go.. if Stardew Valley will let me.

jariw

But each eShop differs per region. The game could have sold 5k in NA/EU/JP and the highest selling game could be 15k and a bunch sold 6-10k during the same period to keep the game off the rankings.

I get it is just a guess.

The game is not available on the JP eShop AFAIK?

Hero

Yeah well Switch owners are starved because there's not enough games so of course this would sell well.

/s

ksamedi

That's quite a jump to conclusion considering the eShop rankings are based on two weeks. This title not being in the Top 10 in any region and selling approximately 18k across (I assume NA/EU/JP) doesn't mean those that are in the Top 10 are selling 25k-100k digitally. They could be doing 15k in a region and be in the Top 5 for a two week period.

Take Ultimate Street Fighter 2 as example. Didnt set the chart on fire but managed to sell 350+ units a while ago already. I imagine a huge chunk of those sales are from the eshop. Its a very brisk marketplace. Snipperclipps was downloaded 350k times on launch month.

Zedark

Take Ultimate Street Fighter 2 as example. Didnt set the chart on fire but managed to sell 350+ units a while ago already. I imagine a huge chunk of those sales are from the eshop. Its a very brisk marketplace. Snipperclipps was downloaded 350k times on launch month.
I'm not sure. I remember SF2 ranking quite high on amazon in France and elsewhere, so I would expect retail to have been quite large.

Unison

I imagine launch window sales trajectories are a different thing entirely... Probably best not to try to look at those as indicators of an ongoing trend.

jariw

I imagine launch window sales trajectories are a different thing entirely... Probably best not to try to look at those as indicators of an ongoing trend.

Wouldn't a 3 times larger user base compensate somewhat to the launch window?

foxuzamaki

For me I'm speaking as someone whose living in the U.S AFAIK this isn't anything like state breakdowns and its counting all of the U.S

EDarkness

I'm not sure. I remember SF2 ranking quite high on amazon in France and elsewhere, so I would expect retail to have been quite large.

I think that a lot of NS owners are comfortable with purchasing everything via the eShop. With some of these games seeing better numbers on the NS, I'm gonna go with the idea that folks really look to the eShop for their games. I don't think Ultimate Street Fighter 2 lit up the charts physically, but I would guess that it did quite well digitally which made up for the retail performance. It was ranked really high on the eShop for a long time.

NateDrake

350k shipped.

By the logic in this thread, Sonic Mania should have sold 500k on the eShop by now.

For me I'm speaking as someone whose living in the U.S AFAIK this isn't anything like state breakdowns and its counting all of the U.S
Yes, the US eShop rankings are the entire US. But, again, that doesn't mean these games are selling 50k on the eShop. It doens't mean they aren't either. But to assume they are doing such high numbers because an indie sold 20k in whatever regions it has released and the title never charting is just a crazy leap to make.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I was on the fence about getting this game. Got a few too many things to play right now though.

Hero

350k shipped.

By the logic in this thread, Sonic Mania should have sold 500k on the eShop by now.

Yes, the US eShop rankings are the entire US. But, again, that doesn't mean these games are selling 50k on the eShop. It doens't mean they aren't either. But to assume they are doing such high numbers because an indie sold 20k in whatever regions it has released and the title never charting is just a crazy leap to make.

I mean, Sonic Mania and Overcooked have been in the top 5 since they've been released, so you can extrapolate something from the floor to the ceiling, given what limited data we do have.

ksamedi

350k shipped.

And what makes you think Sonic Mania didnt sell 500k?

What do you think the weekly worldwide software sales are for the Eshop? Sonic Mania was top 3 for months and still a top 10 game. Do you really think it has not sold a very significant amount? Id image the top 3 games sell between 50-100 k every 2 weeks. Yeah its all a guess, and im not sure, but of you take anecdotal evidence and some datapoints, its really not that big a leap to expect top 3 games to sell 100k. Minecraft sold 60 k in the month of may in Japan. This is just one datapoint we have.

NateDrake

And what makes you think Sonic Mania didnt sell 500k?

What do you think the weekly worldwide software sales are for the Eshop? Sonic Mania was top 3 for months and still a top 10 game. Do you really think it has not sold a very significant amount? Id image the top 3 games sell between 50-100 k every 2 weeks. Yeah its all a guess, and im not sure, but of you take anecdotal evidence and some datapoints, its really not that big a leap to expect top 3 games to sell 100k. Minecraft sold 60 k in the month of may in Japan. This is just one datapoint we have.

It is a massive leap to make. You honestly think NBA 2K18 sold 100k units in the NA based on it being #1 on the eShop for about 2wks time? FIFA 18 is high ranking in EU and even NA, but the FUT leader boards only have around 30k entries. The guess of 100k for these games based on 20k of another release is a major leap to make. When the eShop rankings are region specific and not worldwide, it is impossible to extrapolate data. NeuroVoider could have sold 10k over the course of the month - or 5k a week - in NA and missed the eShop rankings. 5k in two weeks isn't a high number.

Titles like Minecraft, Sonic, Overcooked, etc.. that have been up there for months obviously have bigger sales.

jariw

Here's another thing to consider regarding eShop sales figures. Image & Form published this before the PS4 launch of Steamworld Dig 2 (6 days after launch):

Everyone’s praise results in impressive sales; I’m happy to announce that SWD2 is the biggest launch in SteamWorld history, selling faster than any game we’ve ever made before it. On Switch it’s topping the charts in as good as every country. In less than a week we’ve already earned back most of the game’s total development budget. Twenty or so people for almost a year and a half… You do the math!

http://imageform.se/steamworld-dig-2-tops-the-charts-heres-why-youll-love-it-too/

According to SteamSpy, the current number of Steam owners are 13,5K (+- 3,5K), meaning that the Switch version held the vast majority of the units sold at that point.

I did some math:
* 20 employees, meaning costs of around 1M-1.5M SEK/month including Swedish taxes and other fees, based on the expenses of a typical software company in central Gothenburg.
* 15 month development= approx 15M-22.5 M SEK total costs.
* Game costs $20 but Nintendo takes 30% = $14 (114 SEK) to Image & Form

15M/114 is around 132,000 units
22.5M/114 is around 197,000 units

So I think it's safe to say that Image & Form would need to sell more than 100,000 to break even for Steamworld Dig 2.

And then we also know that Golf Story had a more rapid sales rate than Steamwold Dig 2 on the English-speaking eShops. And then, Stardew Valley reached the eShop #1 within hours.

tebunker

Banned
All great news and it really is a fun game. I love figuring out the class/weapon combos I like most.

Daily challenges are great. Robots are cool. Shit blows up a lot. It has 4 player MP.

Look I was amazed when I came home from work the other day and my 8 year old comes up and was like Mommy played your robot shooting game. I was confused at first and then realized she gave Neurovoider a spin. She loved it. I had never thought she'd like a rogue-like because she had watched in the past and didn't quite like the brutality of losing progress etc. However this game clicked for her. I should have remembered she liked Rogue Legacy and the different ways of progression there and suggested more rogue-lites.

We're gonna try MP this week too. I'm excited. Yall should buy this one.

Deserved. Played it with 2 friends and we enjoyed it. Hectic shooting and equipping/selling/sharing/forging between rounds are a nice mix. However, the 2nd Boss killed us quickly, we would have started another round. But then we started Astro Duel Deluxe and played that for 3 hours lol.

Okay, what little bit I know of this game tells me that it's a top down roguelike shooter?

Is that accurate? How does it compare to, say, Nuclear Throne (another game that I'd love a Switch port of) or Gungeon?

Top Bottom