• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steamdeck sold 1.6 million in 2022, sell another 2 million in 2023, report

MrA

Banned
https://omdia.tech.informa.com/pr/2...led-base-to-surpass-three-million-during-2023

According to the article valve sold 1.62 million units in 2022, and should experience a healthy 14% growth to 1.85 million in 2023, if it keeps growing it might outsell the game gear and vita, which are the 2 best selling portable not by Nintendo or the psp
Sounds like the steam deck is carving itself out a nice little niche, hopefully valve makes a steamdeck 2 it in another 3 or 4 years

Obviously something like the switch or ps5 can sell that many units in a good month but the steamdeck is a very different product as it is very much an enthusiast product , Gabe Newell hand delivered units, what is more enthusiast than that. Plus no money on ad campaigns, probably sold at a profit, and steam use still lets them profit off of usage

Anyway all the nutters that thought it would destroy the switch have been proven to be nutters, and all the sensible people that thought it would be a hit niche product and a win for valve have been proven correct

Dr.Morris79

Bought three, one for the lad, one purely for emulation and one for the rest. Out of all the handhelds i've owned it's already cemented as the greatest i've owned. It's doing all the things i've wanted out of a handheld for the best part of twenty+ years.

It's not without it's faults, though. My original system had the SD card port just die for no reason along with 1tbs worth of Sandisk installs, my second, the emulation system, the B button does not function correctly and you need to apply quite a bit of pressure.. but..

Still the best handheld i've owned and i've bought most of them.

Been Hogwarting on mine. They need a better screen on this thing. My biggest complaint. It needs a bright colorfull OLED. Not this dull washed out thing they got now.

It's the reason I finally put my Vita in storage. It also got me back into the Steam ecosystem because launching games via Steam (plus that shader pre-caching) is just so much more convenient than bothering with the other launchers while on the Deck. I've already spent a few hundred rebuying games that I have in other storefronts. So, yeah, well played Gabe.

Anyone who thought it would destroy the switch in terms of sales figures are nuts, But if it does sell over 3m by end of 2023 I'd say that's more than a niche product.

Who said that a device only sold online on 1 marketplace would destroy the Switch in sales?

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Woo!!! Might not be the best seller but it's a major win for PC handhelds. the fact they managed to get this many sales with a limited number of countries and only ONE storefront is kind of impressive

Well I certaintly did my part and ordered one just today. I don't think they sell these at a profit, though. They bank on making the money back by selling you more shit on Steam. Deck 2 could be as early as late 2024. There seems to be no other device quite like it, considering price point and features.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
But if it does sell over 3m by end of 2023 I'd say that's more than a niche product.
call me a nutter but i honestly expect 7m by 2025. assuming a competitor doesnt come by and steal sales, or if they dont expand it to more storefronts and physical big box stores

Ozriel

M$FT
Unfortunately, unlikely to be anytime soon. They might be stretched thin (as always) working on 50 projects with a small staff.

Their hardware team isn’t really constrained that way. They’re in multiple projects, but it’s unlikely they’ll release a Steamdeck 2 until they can get transformative improvements in performance alongside solid battery life.

Many of their would-be competitors running on newer gen APUs are struggling with limited battery life.

They’ll probably target something like 2025 for the revision.

JCK75

Anyone who thought it would destroy the switch in terms of sales figures are nuts, But if it does sell over 3m by end of 2023 I'd say that's more than a niche product.
I have no delusion that it will do switch like numbers.. but it destroyed the switch for me because I just can't be bothered to pick up my switch anymore.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Pretty impressive for a handheld in limited markets, and only available through Steam.

Glad valve’s seeing a lot of success with it.

Midn1ght

Been Hogwarting on mine. They need a better screen on this thing. My biggest complaint. It needs a bright colorfull OLED. Not this dull washed out thing they got now.
Did you install decky loader on it? It's full of plugins, vibrant deck is one of them and will make the image look so much better. Not Oled quality of course but it really improve the IQ a lot.

Did you install decky loader on it? It's full of plugins, vibrant deck is one of them and will make the image look so much better. Not Oled quality of course but it really improve the IQ a lot.
I have tried it. It just a more saturated kind of washed out. It is brighter though.

tmlDan

I don't think this thing will outsell even a vita, to me this is a failure, I just can't see it otherwise with 120 million MAU on steam.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Who thought this again?

No real person thought the Deck alone would dethrone the Switch by its first year.
The agglomerate of gaming PC handhelds might start becoming a real challenge to Nintendo's handhelds (in yearly sales) in half a dozen years, but it depends on a bunch of things like Valve keeping the pressure on SteamOS's features and/or Microsoft putting real effort into making Windows more handheld friendly.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
It's the Vita 2 in all but name.

Not even remotely. Valve doesn't have to pay a bunch of studios to create a library of games like Vita needed. Steam Deck had a massive library available day one. Right off the bat, Steam Deck doesn't have nearly the cost associated with launching a console and so the target for being successful is much different than consoles.

I don't think this thing will outsell even a vita, to me this is a failure, I just can't see it otherwise with 120 million MAU on steam.

Steam Deck doesn't have to outsell any console to be successful.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

The vita was such a miserable flop because it was pushed as the next big thing with a bunch of advertising and retail space to account for. This has had 0 advertising and you can only buy it directly from Steam. I doubt Valve sees it as a failure.

If it can sell around 2 million per year that’s definitely a healthy business for what it is. Seems some people who buy one suddenly begin playing a lot more games so it’s a big benefit to Valve.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Doing really well fora device thats only available from Valve.

Love the deck, beast of a handheld. Day one for Deck 2.

MrA

Banned
If it can sell around 2 million per year that’s definitely a healthy business for what it is. Seems some people who buy one suddenly begin playing a lot more games so it’s a big benefit to Valve.
Is an easy way to play pc games and a great product, personally its too bulky and battery life too poor for me,
but I don't see how a typical pc gamer wouldn't find it a great product

Klosshufvud

It's a great starting prototype for PC/SteamOS in the handheld space. Valve really kick started something that we're just about to see the potential realized for. Valve made SD as to bridge the gap between PC freedom and console optimizations/ease of use. Reading into sales and revenue will just confuse one as to why Valve really made Steam Deck. It's not to profit from the device directly. It's to learn, to create new systems and to adress the shortcomings of their platforms. It's a genius device for Valve to make. They are laying the foundations of mastering hardware, OS and service all simultaneously. The more Steam Deck improves, so too will Steam as whole. The fact that we're also getting similar devices from other manufacturers at a greater pace is just icing on the cake.

Top Bottom