• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I LOVE YOU ATLUS! Rule of Rose to America.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6150968.html

The horror-adventure game from SCEJ is getting a release late this year from Atlus, YEA!!! Rejoice with me.
930042_20060510_screen009.jpg

930042_20060510_screen001.jpg

930042_20060510_screen002.jpg

Atlus, thank you for remembering that some people like things other then fruity RPG's. Sometimes they also like old-fashioned graphic adventures featuring freaky british kids.
Check it out yo.

What was the verdict on this from people who played the import? I seem to remember that it might have been pretty ho-hum from the few impressions I read :\

Still cool that Atlus is bringing out, though...

WYWY

Greenpanda said:
What was the verdict on this from people who played the import?
I didn't play it, but was monitoring impressions and reviews. In a nutshell,

1) Very good story and atmosphere. Good adventure/puzzle elements.
2) Combat is BAD. This is a great example of a combat system shoe-horned into a game that doesn't need it just because "it's a game! it's got to have fighting!". Apparently this is a major issue. It was a deciding factor for me not to pick it up.
3) Those who don't like scenes of people being bullied and abused will be uncomfortable. Customers are advised to make their own judgement.

mollipen

Had my meeting with Atlus today. Asked about RoR's questionable aspects, and about Persona 3's headshots. Both are being left in as is.

Was also shown another game, but while I was told I could talk about it, I've seen no mention of it online at all yet. So, I'm going to try to re-confirm with them tomorrow that I can indeed talk about it, so that I don't get killed for talking about it in case I shouldn't be. I'll say this for now, though: it's a sequel to a cult classic Saturn game, and the new game is gorgeous.

shidoshi said:
Had my meeting with Atlus today. Asked about RoR's questionable aspects, and about Persona 3's headshots. Both are being left in as is.

Was also shown another game, but while I was told I could talk about it, I've seen no mention of it online at all yet. So, I'm going to try to re-confirm with them tomorrow that I can indeed talk about it, so that I don't get killed for talking about it in case I shouldn't be. I'll say this for now, though: it's a sequel to a cult classic Saturn game, and the new game is gorgeous.

please please please check out/post in this thread for all the Atlus fans: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99542

:D :D :D GREAT news about Persona headshots and that game. and that game has been mentioned. it sounds AMAZING.

shidoshi said:

Re: point 1:
icon_gu_b_slayer.gif

Re: point 2: Odin Sphere / Princess Crown 2? RPGfan reported on it; I think it's OK to mention?

jGuru

Forza's and psycho_snakes official soccer ball-washer
shidoshi said:

Is it?

1074334001-00.jpg

Or?

taticsogre-f.jpg

If only we could get SCEA to stop being a dick about Princess Crown 1 for PSP, or better yet, if Atlus could somehow cram the first one in there too.

As good as these dudes are treating me right now (Trama Center Wii for launch, Touch Detective on DS) I wouldn't be surprised
Himuro said:
I hope you die a terrible death.
Well I do drink a lot of diet soda. Check back with me in 20 years after the cancer has taken hold.

White Man said:
I was under the impression that this game wasn't anything to get excited about?

If you want the closest a survival horror game has come to being on SH's level, then its something to be excited about.

White Man

SolidSnakex said:
If you want the closest a survival horror game has come to being on SH's level, then its something to be excited about.

When it came out, the folks at my import shop recommended not picking it up, which is odd since they seem to push anything that is of marginal quality.

White Man said:
When it came out, the folks at my import shop recommended not picking it up, which is odd since they seem to push anything that is of marginal quality.

That wouldn't surprise me much because if you want it for gameplay you're going down the wrong path. Its like SH in that way also, the gameplay isn't really something you're going to play it for. The fighting is there just for giving you something to do when you aren't solving puzzles. It's focus is to scare the hell out of you and it does that. Alot of survival horror games are copy cats and this one is completely original. It's not like anything you've played before.

And as people have said it does have those overtones that people saw in the trailer, such as pedophilia and lesbianism. Not as straight forward as those trailers, but you notice it.

mollipen

Since RPGFan indeed mentioned it, I guess I won't get killed for doing so. Yup, it's Odin Sphere, a sequel of sorts for Princess Crown. Not a lot of details yet, but it was crazy beautiful 2D. I hope to get a copy of the press DVD Altus was showing off soon after E3, so I'll put it up as soon as I do if it hasn't already hit the net by then.

Rule of Rose, to get back on topic, is hitting in September, sooner than I was expecting.

jGuru

Forza's and psycho_snakes official soccer ball-washer
shidoshi said:
Since RPGFan indeed mentioned it, I guess I won't get killed for doing so. Yup, it's Odin Sphere, a sequel of sorts for Princess Crown. Not a lot of details yet, but it was crazy beautiful 2D. I hope to get a copy of the press DVD Altus was showing off soon after E3, so I'll put it up as soon as I do if it hasn't already hit the net by then.

Rule of Rose, to get back on topic, is hitting in September, sooner than I was expecting.

Cool. Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom