• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity: The White March |OT| Tales of Eír Glanfath

Durante

pillars-of-eternity-logo.png
logo.png
logo.png

Pillars of Eternity is widely regarded as the best game of 2015, and now, with the release of the second and final part of its expansion The White March it is the best time to get back to it - or start playing it for the first time!

For a general overview of the base game and GAF's contributions to it, do check out EviLore's original OT. In fact, let me quote an excerpt of that:
EviLore said:
What’s the gist of the game, then?

Pillars of Eternity is a real-time-with-pause tactical party-based fantasy role playing game, spanning two large hub cities and a vast expanse of wilderness locales and beyond. If you’re unfamiliar with the subgenre or you’re not a million years old like those of us who crowdfunded this game out of our massive old-fashioned Costanza wallets, think Dragon Age PC’s strategic camera mode without all the suck. You control your party of heroes with RTS-style click and drag controls, pausing when necessary to queue up actions and abilities, then unpausing to see it all play out in glorious mayhem.

Pillars had a design goal of recapturing the look, feel, and uniqueness of the classic Infinity Engine computer RPGs (Baldur’s Gate 1&2, Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale 1&2) of fifteen years ago without compromising the game for broader audiences or console-friendly controls or anything else that would typically be necessary for a mass market product in 2015. Like the classic IE games, it uses prerendered backgrounds with hand-drawn elements for a timeless and beautiful look. Just look at those screenshots.

Instead of using a D&D ruleset or its Forgotten Realms setting, though, all of PoE’s game systems have been built from scratch, along with a elaborate original fantasy setting: Eora, a world which delves deeply into the concept of souls.

So, why is now the best time to jump in?
Well, because the game has improved tremendously since its release (which was already excellent in its own right), both through general feature updates in major patches as well as by the added content provided by the expansion.

2.0 Improvements (Highlights)
  • Party AI: What it says on the tin. Perfect for everyone who doesn't want to micromanage (or doesn't want to do so all the time, which is more defensible a position :p)
  • Solo Stealth: Allows individual party members to engage in stealth, making it actually useful
  • Improved UI: Spell/Skill range indicators and an option to indicate to hit chance

3.0 Improvements (Highlights)
  • Stronghold Improvements: Unique stories and rewards, more meaningful visitors
  • Injury System: Characters will be afflicted by semi-permanent (until rest) injuries if they go down in battles
  • Story Time Mode: How Lame!
  • Skill Updates: The (previously somewhat useless) skills Athletics and Survival were revamped with new mechanics (and might now actually be worth taking)
  • Improved Bestiary: Better layout, more entries
  • Even More Improved UI: Better visibility, better marking for ability types/re-use
  • Late game revision: Both Act 3 and the lower levels of Od Nua were revamped to provide a better challenge while featuring fewer "trash" encounters

The White March Additions
  • Tons of new Areas, Story and Quests obviously
  • Higher Level Cap with all that entails, including of course new abilities for each class
  • 3 New Companions bringing the total up to 11 -- incidentally also the number of classses in the game, which makes it feel nicely complete
  • New Soulbound items
Of course, there are also literally thousands of bugfixes and balancing changes since the original release.

Media
Pillars of Eternity Update 2.0 new features
Pillars of Eternity Update 3.0 new features
The White March Part 1 Trailer
The White March Part 2 Trailer

pe-engwithan-03-1920xmkjat.jpg

e3_the_white_march_paiysuq.jpg

Also, the base game is 50% off right now on Steam.

Corpekata

Banned
I'd restarted this recently after retiring it due to bugs. Was going to just meander up until I had access to the first DLC, but then saw that 3.0 would improve the stronghold right as I'm doing the mission to clear and claim it. So decided to wait for this to hit. Am excited to jump back in.

Tenebrous

About two hours into Part II now, and good lord, I forgot how good looking this game is... After this, I'm about ready to wrap up my second playthrough of the campaign, only this time on POTD & Expert Difficulty. Seeing as how I hadn't played it since beating WM Part I, I might, maybe, perhaps, start a third game from scratch.

I also found the first
soulbound weapon of WM2. In the new shop (it's a tent) on the western side of Stalwart is a soulbound/unique crossbow with a value of around 9k CP.

Shane86

Really enjoyed the few hours I played with this, never played any of this type of rpg before. Should get back to it and pick up this dlc

shiv_

I Kickstarted this game as soon as it was announced, but only recently started playing it consistently. It works great with the steam controller. Anyway, I am really digging being able to chill on my couch with my big TV and surround sound (just increase the font in-game a bit so you don't strain your eyes). The chanter/spell casting sounds epic booming through the house. It definitely brings back dem feelz from BG 1 & 2, and it looks and sounds beautiful!

I was originally just going to rip through the main quests because I was worried I wouldn't have enough time to dedicate to hitting all the side quests... I started feeling guilty for cheating myself out of all that good content, because the game really is that awesome. Many of the side quests are just as, if not more, epic as the main quest lines. Looking forward to finishing the main game in the next few weeks, and I'll definitely be adding the expansions to my wish list.

epmode

I put this down back when I heard that the expansion

A. Would be released in two parts
B. Was in the style of Tales of the Sword Coast instead of a post-game expansion like Throne of Bhaal

I'm looking forward to finally playing through for real!

Do we know if there are any more patches coming? I can probably hold off for a little while with XCOM 2/Hong Kong Extended if it means replaying the most complete and polished PoE possible.

Durante

I don't think any significant further feature updates are planned (but everyone correct me if I'm wrong). I'm sure they'll continue patching any remaining bugs.

epmode

Do we know if there are any more patches coming? I can probably hold off for a little while with XCOM 2/Hong Kong Extended if it means replaying the most complete and polished PoE possible.

I doubt they'll be releasing anything but bugfixes at this point. The major feature updates were rolled out with each expansion.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I'm about 3 hours in with 2.0, decided I liked it, so I bought the expansion and waited for the new release. Do I have to restart or is the patching/White March pretty seamless?

varkuriru

Oooooh nice OT! I stopped playing back at initial release due to the weird stat bugs. Will buy, but not sure when I'll jump in. I am still beating myself for not realizing the backer tier I selected did not include the expansion. Oh well.

w0s

I am at the first major town in the base game and I have a question sorry. I am a rogue and got back stab and dirty fighting but I don't see where to add them to my action bar. Really enjoying it so far though I want more combat lol

Lanrutcon

I'm about 3 hours in with 2.0, decided I liked it, so I bought the expansion and waited for the new release. Do I have to restart or is the patching/White March pretty seamless?

Seamless.

Edit: omg forgot about the Sky Dragon and blundered right into it. I think they nerfed him a bit? Pounded it down with some accuracy potions and that hammer spell from my Mage.

aravuus

Started a new (second) playthrough as a monk, the party AI makes the game muuuuch more enjoyable.

I'm planning on replaying the whole game, but since WM is the reason I started, I gotta ask: when will I be able to tackle the White March content?

e: also just realized I played as a monk on my first playthrough, too. Guess there's just something very appealing about beating up enemies with just my fists.

CHC

I'm sad that this game keeps getting pushed onto my back burner for various reasons, I'm afraid I'll have to start anew YET AGAIN at some point in the near future. But whatever the case, Obsidian's post-launch support has been beyond exceptional, and I'm really happy for / jealous of anyone who has the time to just sink into this newest bit of content.

It's funny that I have never beaten the game but I still closely follow the patch notes and get excited about them. The core game itself just feels so snappy and enjoyable to interact with, and it's only gotten better and better since day 1.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Subbed!

I'm getting ready to jump back into Pillars. I beat the game early, and then avoided White March Pt1 due to getting into other games at the time, but I think I'm ready to go back now.

I'm sad that it isn't accessible right off the bat to let me try out a new party (and the new companions!), but I'll just load up an old save and go from there with my overpowered team of killers.

Kimaka

I can't wait to try out the improvements. I haven't touched Pillars since pre 2.0. My party is going to be a mess and will need to be respeced. Gotta finish SR:HK first.

danthefan

Time for me to start this game again. Played the base game for about 25 hours but stopped for one reason or other. I always get character creation anxiety so if I can get past the I'll be golden.

w0s

Time for me to start this game again. Played the base game for about 25 hours but stopped for one reason or other. I always get character creation anxiety so if I can get past the I'll be golden.
Seems like there is a respec option at store keepers.

Durante

I don't know if I should just continue the game with my existing party or start an entirely new one later this year and play the whole game again + expansions.

Durante

Sweet OT.
So I have to buy both parts, cant just buy part 2?
You can buy the "Expansion Pass", but yes, they are two separate pieces of DLC which together amount to what we would have traditionally called an "Expansion" (fitting the $30 price tag).

Lister

Banned
Great OT!

Was waiting for this part to drop to start my replay, I thought it was next week!

Looks like Xcom 2 will have to wait till the weekend, gonna start on this tonight, and I think I'm going PotD on this one too!

Also got my cousin to try the game. Can't wait to watch her fail at that bear cave.

Stevey

You can buy the "Expansion Pass", but yes, they are two separate pieces of DLC which together amount to what we would have traditionally called an "Expansion" (fitting the $30 price tag).

Cool, just picked up the expansion pass, think I'll start a new game at the weekend.

Copper

Haven't played this in a long time I think I might start over and try out these dlc's. I remember it being really hard.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
When do you go through the expansion content?

Man I hate this decade+ long trend of RPG expansions being ""lol we threw it into the middle of the game you just finished at some arbitrary point" instead of, you know, extending the game with higher level content that takes place after the main game is complete.

Lister

Banned
When do you go through the expansion content?

Man I hate this decade+ long trend of RPG expansions being ""lol we threw it into the middle of the game you just finished at some arbitrary point" instead of, you know, extending the game with higher level content that takes place after the main game is complete.

I believe it's open from the time you unlock the keep, so could be ealry to mid game, but I believe the content scales, so you cna absolutley play it with your high level pary.

God Damn I'm happy to get an excuse to go through this again.

Quick advice I'd like to get; I have two characters in mind to play

1. A kind yet taciturn Priest of Eothas on a quest to bring her god back

2. A hardboiled Cipher detective come to the Dyrwood to solve the case of a lifetime.

Anyone with priest/Cipher experience that can weigh in?

Fujinn

I have it installed and ready for my first playthrough, but man i'm intimidated by it. I've never played a infinity engine style rpg before. I don't know where to begin. I guess i'll roll a fighter as its usually the go-to for newbies.

Bl@de

Is White March post-game only or does it have other effects on a playthrough? I'm asking because I just started the main game (6h in). I guess patch 3.0 is for every version anyway.

Lingitiz

I have it installed and ready for my first playthrough, but man i'm intimidated by it. I've never played a infinity engine style rpg before. I don't know where to begin. I guess i'll roll a fighter as its usually the go-to for newbies.

The game is surprisingly approachable. I didn't have a ton of experience with any old CRPGs aside from BG1 and had no problem getting into it. There are a lot of little quality of life improvements that make it feel modern.

I'm going to start a new playthrough. I'm too far out from my endgame files to feel strongly about taking those parties into the DLC, and my one mid-game file is early enough that I may as well start fresh and enjoy all the new features.

God Damn I'm happy to get an excuse to go through this again.

Quick advice I'd like to get; I have two characters in mind to play

1. A kind yet taciturn Priest of Eothas on a quest to bring her god back

2. A hardboiled Cipher detective come to the Dyrwood to solve the case of a lifetime.

Anyone with priest/Cipher experience that can weigh in?

Number two was basically the character I played and I loved it, though more Holmes than hardboiled - the dialogue options fit better for the former than the latter, really.

But yeah, pistol and rapier with some classy +charisma threads, it was great fun.

Anno

Is White March post-game only or does it have other effects on a playthrough? I'm asking because I just started the main game (6h in). I guess patch 3.0 is for every version anyway.

The WM content starts maybe halfwayish through the game, though you can scale it up to whatever level I think. Decent rule of thumb is to start it at the end of Chapter 2 from what I've heard.

Jospina

Banned
I read on the steam forums they were planning on cutting down the amount of encounters as well as the micromanaging in white march part 2, did this ever come to fruition? I put about 40 hours into the original and the party micromanaging and constant battles wore me out. It's a nice game though, I hope they've fixed those issues.

Edit: nevermind, should've read the bullet points. I'm gonna jump back in.

Top Bottom