• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle review thread

Machina

Banned
http://opencritic.com/game/4494/mario-rabbids-kingdom-battle?tab=1&reviewId=86400 Opencritic total: 85

http://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/mario-+-rabbids-kingdom-battle?ref=hp Metacritic total: 85

Gamespace: 8.5/10

If you own a Nintendo Switch, you want this game, period. I didn't know I wanted this mashup, but now that we have it, I can't wait for the DLC, and I definitely want sequels.

TIME: 10/10

It's a fan service fractal that works both as a gonzo strategy masterpiece and series love letter. It's a studio-publisher (Ubisoft) that's been around nearly as long as Nintendo's been making video games, reflecting all the whimsy and allure of a franchise that's sold half a billion copies worldwide. I blaspheme, but if you've ever wondered what an archetypal Nintendo game made not-by-Nintendo would look like, here you go.

Dualshockers: 80/100

While the allure of these two franchises coming together may be the draw for many, the surprising depth to its combat and the replayability that it offers are the real highlights.

Destructoid: 75/100

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle's guts are impressive, but its main event feels like a [good] expansion for a fleshed-out strategy RPG that has more to offer than a great combat system.

IGN: 7.7

Based on its colorful world, beautiful animation, and source material you might expect Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle to be ”My first turn-based tactics game." But you're in for a surprise: even for XCOM vets some of its battles are challenging puzzles. Some of its tougher levels do devolve into a trial-and-error slog, but a good mix of enemies, objectives, and character abilities keep things interesting.

Eurogamer: Recommended

This wonky crossover is the unlikely source of a superbly designed tactical combat challenge as well as a charmingly silly adventure.

TheSixthAxis: 8/10

As strange as Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle sounds on paper, there are some really good ideas in the mix. Having XCOM's battle gameplay presented in a more light lighthearted fashion and greatly enhancing character movement are both excellent touches. It's not perfect, but there's a lot to like from this unlikely combination.

NintendoWorldReport: 9.0/10

The developers at Ubisoft Milan and Paris took their time to figure what works about strategy games and elevated it to a form that can be enjoyed by many. Add to that the pure cleverness of the adventure, and what results in an absolute must play for Nintendo Switch owners. This is the best game the Rabbids have starred in and they only needed Mario to achieve it.

Game Informer: 8.5/10

While Kingdom Battle's puzzles won't win any awards, the robust selection of challenging tactical battles entertains from beginning to end

USGamer: 4.5/5

Mario + Rabbids is not a concept that I expected to get this much love. This is a legitimately great strategy experience, tailored toward the sensibilities of Nintendo and the capabilities of the Nintendo Switch. It's a charming adventure for Mario, and the Rabbids don't get in the way, even if they don't necessarily add much either. In the same way that the original Super Mario RPG showed Square Enix using Nintendo's property to create some magic, Mario + Rabbids delivers something close from Ubisoft. If you're up for the challenge, pick up Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle. It's worth it and I'm glad it exists.

Switchitalia.it: 8.5/10

Playing it, many will change their mind compared to the initial "arsh" reactions. The game has a very good structure, a decent difficulty level, a weird irony, a very good graphic and a great OST. The Nintendo Switch welcome another interesting exclusive game, this time (after Mario Kart 8 deluxe, ARMS and Splatoon 2) primarly focused on the single player experiece. Don't miss it!

Cubed3: 8/10

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is a hilarious, fun, and attractive looking title, despite some technical flaws here and there that are quickly overlooked due to all of its intrinsic qualities. If anything, this is perhaps the one Rabbid game that will truly push the critters into the realm of mainstream on a worldwide level, more so than they have ever been so far, simply because they are such a perfect fit with Mario in that universe, in a way that nobody would have ever expected. It's challenging, for sure, so fans of Mario who are wary of strategy games beware. If even ever so slightly interested in strategy, though, and willing to sit through it all, persevering as much as it takes to see it through to the end is a complete blast. Well worth checking out.

cnheBa8.png

LordKano

Eurogamer : recommended
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-08-28-mario-rabbids-kingdom-battle-review
This wonky crossover is the unlikely source of a superbly designed tactical combat challenge as well as a charmingly silly adventure.

Polygon : 8/10
https://www.polygon.com/2017/8/28/1...kingdom-battle-review-nintendo-switch-ubisoft
Mario + Rabbids manages to walk a narrow road, offering up a legitimately challenging squad tactics experience without alienating the family friendly Mario audience. While it doesn't quite have the full layer of spit and polish of an in-house title, Ubisoft comes damn close to capturing that Nintendo magic.

weekev

Banned
Oh shit here we go. Early scores look like it's gonna end mid 80s on Metacritic. 83-84 for a Mario and Rabbids crossover. Hands up who saw that coming.

Neiteio

Ubisoft's going to be pleased with that Time 10/10. Might not mean much to gamers, but to the general public that's a name that'll carry some weight in commercials, etc.

Oh shit here we go. Early scores look like it's gonna end mid 80s on Metacritic. 83-84 for a Mario and Rabbids crossover. Hands up who saw that coming.
I always said This game would end up being good even when the leak images hit and people lost there minds

Moose84

I can't believe they got PC master race Dan Stapleton to review this. Jose, Peer, Brian, Sam, Daemon et al would have been far more positive.

MattAces

I'm on media blackout so I'm afraid to look too closely at any reviews. What do they say about length and replayability?

From IGN:
there are at least 20 hours of content here – and that’s if you’re not new to this genre. That’s good because I can’t see a lot of replay value in going back to do it again other than to try the same scenarios with less appropriate teams.

Still hunting for more info

Ivellios

I may end buying a Switch sooner than i planned. Strategy RPG is one of my favorite genre, and now there is a good one in the Mario/Rabbid universe? Damn.

My fiance has had this for over a week now (the store she was due to collect her preorder from was closing down, so they just gave it her).

She seems to like it overall, which is neat as she's not normally into strategy games. Though she did comment how the game features 'typical ubisoft jank' with bad animations and visual inconsistencies that you wouldn't see in a game released by Nintendo.

Either way I'm looking forward to playing it myself, as she's going to give me a spare copy when I'm next in Sheffield.

Does anyone else skip high reviews and just reads the lowest review score given? I like to hear about a games problems. Then I go play and see if the reviewer was bullshitting or not.

Also extra hype for this game I have too much to play tomorrow.

Tesser

Us lot over at Hardcore Gamer gave it a 4.5/5:

While not a traditional Mario or Rabbids game, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle contains enough elements from both franchises to appeal to fans of either series. The lighthearted humor and silly visuals combined with a surprisingly deep battle system make this unexpected crossover a delight to play. Collecting all the secrets in story mode and customizing each character will give the player plenty to do and the co-op battles can provide hours of enjoyment as the players experiment with different party combinations and strategies. Seeing iconic Nintendo characters merged with Rabbids, such as Rabbid Kong or a Pirabbid Plant makes it almost impossible to not chuckle. As skeptical as some might have been at this concept working, spending significant time with the game indicates it not only works, but also is a must own title for any Switch library.

Based purely on previews and gameplay footage alone, I think this game might go down as the Biggest/Best Surprise of the year.

Neoxon

Solid reviews so far. If I wasn't stock-piling for cash for MvCI/Super Mario Odyssey/Xenoblade 2, I'd be all over this. Maybe I'll try to squeeze this game into my budget in light of the praise. Nice job, Ubisoft.

That being said, while 7.7 isn't bad, it's a bit weird to see that score from IGN given the other scores so far.

FelipeMGM

I can't believe they got PC master race Dan Stapleton to review this. Jose, Peer, Brian, Sam, Daemon et al would have been far more positive.

Jose doesnt work there anymore (he is actually at Nintendo now) and I dont think Brian does reviews these days too.

They chose Dan because he is their main strategy guy I believe

NotLiquid

If you told me little under a decade ago that Mario would cross over with the annoyingly "memetic" and prototypical Minion character of the video game world for an X-Com type game and that it would be good I would question your sanity, and yet here we are.

MattAces

Can I expect 20 hours base game and another 20 post game/perfect it?

Just watched ACG, he mentioned 20-25 hours base game and another 15-20 to perfect it.

This is excellent.

As a fan of XCOM and Nintendo, I'm super happy this game exists and is apparently pretty damn good. Can't wait to play tomorrow!

LordKano

Can I expect 20 hours base game and another 20 post game/perfect it?

Just watched ACG, he mentioned 20-25 hours base game and another 15-20 to perfect it.

My buddy who's currently reviewing the game spent about 5 hours for each story world, so there's a good 20 hours for the main campaign.

MouldyK

Nope, they got the X-Com fan/Reviews Editor to do it.

Which is a bit weird as he must have been reviewing War of the Chosen (8.8 Score) at the same time.

Though I wish Eurogamer got Chris Bratt to do the review for them. He loves some X-Com too.

Top Bottom