• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle review thread

Majora

Can't say I agree with this line from the IGN review:

When you break it down, a lot of the challenge comes down to pure trial and error

I've played enough of the game to safely say that I think this is bullshit to be honest. It's entirely fair, all the information is there on the screen for you, it hasn't pulled any bullshit tricks out of the hat in the middle of a level. It can be challenging but my team has been wiped out once in 15 hours of play and it was entirely my fault for getting cocky. Guess I'm just lucky [/s]

Blobbers

great reviews. If you put a head to my gun to predict a score when all we had were those few leaked pictures way back when, I would've said low 70's if the stars aligned

Also it feels like there've been a lot of 7.7s from IGN lately

Kolx

I can't believe they got PC master race Dan Stapleton to review this. Jose, Peer, Brian, Sam, Daemon et al would have been far more positive.

Getting the guy who actually has an experience in the genre makes way more sense than getting a guy just because he's a Nintendo fan, no?

JoeM86

Friend's site

Nintendo Insider - 9/10
Whether you still struggle to comprehend the unexpected collision that the irreverent Rabbids have had with the Mushroom Kingdom or not, in Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, Ubisoft Milan readily proves at every turn that even the wackiest ideas can result in a sensational experience. With infectious humour, it will soon win you over to prove itself absolutely unmissable.

hiim_haz

Banned
Only thing that's annoying was in NWR's review about handheld mode --

I do have to mention that the Switch became a bit hot in handheld mode, and that the performance slowed down somewhat. Considering the nature of the game, the drops certainly weren't terrible, but they are still very much present.

I play mostly handheld so this kinda sucks, hope they'll be able to fix it via a patch.

Moose84

Jose doesnt work there anymore (he is actually at Nintendo now) and I dont think Brian does reviews these days too.

They chose Dan because he is their main strategy guy I believe

I know it just seems like a strange choice to review a Mario game.

A similarly bizarre choice was to have Vince Ingenito review the Switch hardware itself, who *shocker* ended up being very down on it while literally everyone else fell in love.

Same thing seems to be happening here. 7.7 is by far the lowest score so far.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Getting the guy who actually has an experience in the genre makes way more sense than getting a guy just because he's a Nintendo fan, no?
Yep, and 7.7 form an experienced genre player is a perfectly good score.

Mdk7

8.7 from me on Everyeye.it

A quirky crossover that seamlessly blends two universes apparently far away, a compelling strategic game that despite its simplicity has a lot of depth to it (and one that could be a perfect introduction to the genre) and above all a production that truly captures that special, peculiar Nintendo feel: well played Crying Ubisoft Man, well played.

I wasn't honestly blown away by this game at E3, I thought it was good but nowhere near that phenomenon that the vast majority of people thought it was.
I was wrong.
Ubisoft did such a great job with this game, seriously it surprised and entertained me way beyond any possible expectation. You're gonna have a blast with this.

I can't believe they got PC master race Dan Stapleton to review this. Jose, Peer, Brian, Sam, Daemon et al would have been far more positive.

What? IGN didn't have one of the Nintendo guys review this game?

I mean, you give the strategy game to the strategy guy. That just makes sense.

Anyway, good scores, better than I was expecting when the game was initially rumoured. Excited to have a game like this to play on the go.

Plum

Think I'll keep my pre-order on this one. I've never played a strategy RPG like X-COM before (dabbled in Fire Emblem, but wasn't a fan) so this should hopefully be a fresh experience for me.

Still find it ridiculous that a Mario + Rabbids crossover is being so well received. Almost feel a bit of guilt for hating on the mere concept back when the leaks were happening.

Pudge

7.5/10 on TechRaptor

"Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle gets more right than wrong in creating a casual and fun tactics experience, but tedious puzzle sections and a shotgun approach to Mario references holds it back from greatness."

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wow. So, so glad for Davide Soliane. He put his heart into this.

King_Moc

Banned
Only thing that's annoying was in NWR's review about handheld mode --

I play mostly handheld so this kinda sucks, hope they'll be able to fix it via a patch.

I played in handheld mode for a couple of hours, and it does get hot, yes. The only performance issues I've noticed happen in both modes. There are heavy frame rate drops on some of the close up shots of characters getting hit (particularly when burn is used) and also every now and then in the exploration mode the game will just hang for a couple of seconds for no reason.

Been playing off and on all weekend, about half way through, and I'd agree with a mid 80 metacritic score.

As someone mostly unfamiliar with and not really interested in the genre (I didn't like Fire Emblem Fates, X-Com, Socom, or FFT and didn't get very far in any) I'm enjoying my time with it and would personally give it an 8/10.

My biggest issue is the game does nothing to convince or push you towards using new characters and it is easy to get attached to one set and not mix up the gameplay. For example, one character has a heavy emphasis on close range and lone wolf play, but you gain this character at the same time as the game introduces large melee/close range and defensive enemies, thus making him start off feeling like a bad choice from the get go (imo).

marmoka

Banned
Great scores for a Rabbids game. Probably the best Rabbids game ever, and all they needed was Mario.

I'm not keen on strategic RPGs such as Xcom or Fire Emblem, but if Ubisoft releases a demo and it's fun then I may consider purchasing it.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
My Italian review

Switchitalia.it: 8.5/10

Quick English summary:

Playing it, many will change their mind compared to the initial "arsh" reactions. The game has a very good structure, a decent difficulty level, a weird irony, a very good graphic and a great OST. The Nintendo Switch welcome another interesting exclusive game, this time (after Mario Kart 8 deluxe, ARMS and Splatoon 2) primarly focused on the single player experiece. Don't miss it!

Going to buy this tomorrow morning since no store had it for an ok price.
Only store selling it put it at 59€. So I'd rather have it a day later for 45€... worth the wait even if hard with all the praise the game seems to have.

Happy I managed not looking at many videos so I'll have a great time discovering easters and nice references they put here and there ^^

Can't wait !!!

Thatanas

I believed in this game ever since the first leaks, way in the beginning. Glad to see I was right in having faith in this game.

Soul Lab

People asked me in the other thread if I can see beeing a 90 metacritic title.
My answer was that I can see it being a 85-90 score title after halfway through.
So happy for the director of the game.

Mdk7

Well, this solidifies my decision to purchase the game.
Any info on how long is it?

The campaing is 20+ hours.
There's quite some extra stuff to do (no new game plus though), with some new challenges and a fun local co-op mode: if you want to keep playing, I think you'll easily spend 40-50 hours with Mario and his Rabbids friends.

Top Bottom