• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DX11 Real-Time Raytracing Tech Demo Running on a i7 + Radeon 5870

onQ123

Video at the link

DX11 Raytracing fun

Video at the link

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/dx11-real-time-raytracing-tech-demo/

YouTube’s member ‘aimedehaire’ (aka icelaglace or Hayssam Keilany) has uploaded an interesting DX11 Tech Demo. According to the GTA IV and Skyrim modder, this is a DX11 Raytracing Tech Demo that is running on an i7 Intel and a Radeon 5870. Keilany has not shared any additional information about it, so go ahead and enjoy it for what it truly is – a tech demo, showcasing what next-gen era could actually bring to the table. Enjoy!

This video gave me even more hope for Real-Time Ray-Tracing on the Next-Gen consoles.

Raytracing is extremely impressive these days. Even if we had chips to run a whole game world like that in real-time today, you probably wouldn't see the industry switch for at least half a decade.

The closer we get the further away we get for now, it seems.

Man

Ray-tracing will be here with the next-next gen consoles (2020). If only we could freeze ourselves...
because life is all about ray-tracing.

low-G

So many bloom effects that sort of mask the impressive bits to me, but I do enjoy some prismatic refraction.

Years back I thought the next console generation might be voxels + raytracing... it feels like graphics are moving at a snail's pace. Oh well. Can't care about graphics again just yet...

PGamer

fucking juniors
I thought real time raytracing was still years away? Is this not using any hacks to achieve this?

MizzouRah

Next-gen Columns!

586115_46717_front.jpg

Looking really good. I'll pull the video out the next time people start blathering about diminishing returns in real-time graphics.

Instro

Yeah this won't be seen in actual games until the next next gen, but its definitely the next big thing for graphics.

Man

Having ray-tracing will simplify graphics work a lot. No more trickery and bs. Just bounce, bounce, bounce!

squidyj

This thread is going to be the death of me :(

there's no gi, no caustics, none of that really nice stuff. there's a shadow map, some image based lighting, and rays tracing mirror-like reflections. Also HDR and some really distracting Depth of Field. There isn't even any performance information.

Ray tracing is not quite the same as path tracing.

Riggs

Banned

there's no gi, no caustics, none of that really nice stuff. there's a shadow map, some image based lighting, and rays tracing mirror-like reflections. Also HDR and some really distracting Depth of Field. There isn't even any performance information.

It's running on a 5870 what do you expect lol.

Hrm, a lot of objects weren't reflecting other objects like they should be. Look at the chess pieces and notice how they don't reflect anything around them. It seems a bit limited in what it's ray tracing in that respect.

squidyj

It's running on a 5870 what do you expect lol.

information. I want to know exactly what it's doing. Releasing a tweaked up video and "omg it looks like cg" is so much BS to me. It's easy to set up a demo like that to look really nice without having much in the way of impressive tech.

Riggs

Banned
information. I want to know exactly what it's doing. Releasing a tweaked up video and "omg it looks like cg" is so much BS to me. It's easy to set up a demo like that to look really nice without having much in the way of impressive tech.
True info would of been nice at least. I expected a lot less considering the gpu though. DOF was ugly too.

I lol'd so hard at this comment on Youtube:

"Now I know what being inside my girlfriend's head is like.."
Same had to up vote that hah

fritolay

Isn't this the holy grail of computer graphics, ray tracing? I remember Carmack talking about it some 10+ years ago.

RedSwirl

So many bloom effects that sort of mask the impressive bits to me, but I do enjoy some prismatic refraction.

Years back I thought the next console generation might be voxels + raytracing... it feels like graphics are moving at a snail's pace. Oh well. Can't care about graphics again just yet...

I think that part of it is that we had a bit of a minor graphics leap in the middle of the current console generation when features like SSAO and new kinds of AA started to be implemented. In my opinion console games since 2008 look very different from 2005-2007 console games.

Won't happen next gen...consoles this gen were barely able to keep up at 720p. Next-gen consoles would probably up the resolution to 1080p and that's about it. Would be about 10-15 more years before we see games using ray tracing in any decent way.

That's...beautiful...

Won't happen next gen...consoles this gen were barely able to keep up at 720p. Next-gen consoles would probably up the resolution to 1080p and that's about it. Would be about 10-15 more years before we see games using ray tracing in any decent way.

Then give 360p and ray-trace the hell out of it! YEAH!!

Dgott

Banned
Ok, I'm now convinced that we are living inside a giant computer simulation.

I, for one, would like to welcome our CPU overlords.

ferr

Ray tracing is not quite the same as path tracing.

You get caustics with the $9.99 Day 1 DLC.

Given how limited that scene was, it's hard to say anything meaningful about this at all. Sure, it looks nice, but as many have pointed out, the video is doing things to masks some of it's shortcomings as a ray tracer.

Show me more than just that scene, then we can talk about where this is going.

TheD

The Detective
Nothing to see here, tons of real time ray tracing tech demos about (and even some path tracing ones).

I am also pretty sure I have seen that demo before.

Top Bottom