• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 Appreciation Thread - Kamiya's Masterpiece

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Resident Evil 2 is some sort of holy intersection of ineffable greatness. Resident Evil itself has become a long-running and celebrated series filled with amazing games, including what many consider the best game ever made in Resident Evil 4. Then, of course, you have the series' many curators-- in focus for now is the work of Hideki Kamiya, where even mentioning his name triggers an argument in my brain about which of his games is best. But regardless of what the series and the creator would go on to do later, I feel this is a timeless masterpiece of a game that is still an incredible landmark in gaming whose impact on the medium remains difficult to avoid.

POOsiJJ.gif

Why does Resident Evil 2 work so well? As a game, it does nearly everything right, with great graphics, tense action, a superb soundtrack, and a great B-movie plot, but as an experience, it really checks every box. It unwinds like a ball of yarn, with the journey through the streets of Raccoon City, into the Police Station, the sewers, and then finally into the Underground Lab feeling feeling gargantuan and satisfying. Each new room represented a series of new challenges and new fears to face. Each hallway had untold secrets. Each puzzle had a bedeviling solution that made you go "A ha!" when you figured it out. And this happened over and over again for 8 hours. And then when you thought you had finished your meal, out came the chef from the kitchen with an entirely new course. It was like the Symphony of the Night of 3D action games.

Resident Evil 2 significantly improved not only on the general quality of the backgrounds and the music, but the art style took a huge leap forward as well. Raccoon City absolutely felt like a real place in the western part of the United States. The architecture and art of the Police Station was stunning in its complexity (just as the game's interlocking level layouts and puzzle designs required), and it was all accompanied by some of the eeriest pieces of music to come out of Capcom since...well, the farting music added to Resident Evil 1. I don't think I will ever forget opening the doors to the Police Station and hearing the chilling piano and bell melody that seemed to make Leon's footfalls louder. Was I the only one checking behind me in my room to see if I was truly alone? Really, though, sheer variety of the presentation kept things interesting throughout.

Some of the backgrounds still stand out to me as particularly memorable. The upper hallway with the crashed helicopter. The dog kennel leading down to the sewers. The third floor balcony where the tyrant suddenly decided to show up. The first hallway with the licker. The first tyrant hallway. The chief's office and the connecting hallway with the stuffed tigers.

993qPup.gif

Resident Evil 2 also introduced some of the series' long-running mainstays, as well as some of the more interesting characters that unfortunately appeared just once or twice. You have Chief Irons, who scares the living daylights out of you when you first bump into him, of course. How about Ben, the reporter, locking himself in the jail cell? You've got William and Annette Birkin, who are well acted and oh-so-poorly written. Birkin's frequent appearances throughout the game give you the sense that you are being pursued and stalked from multiple perspectives, and it really amps up the horror. You've got Sherry, of course, and you've also got Ada, who debut in this game. Ada's bizarre mission is anything but apparent at first, but of course the more you play and pay attention, the more you start to suspect things are not right. And, of course, you have the Tyrant. I would ask anyone if they can ever get the image of him approaching the security camera and smashing it on the train platform out of their minds. If you say yes, you are such a liar. Oh, yeah, and Leon S. Kennedy and Claire. Leon would go on to be in the Best Game Ever and then Some Other Resident Evil and Claire died suddenly after she saw that she starred in Code: Veronica, the worst game in the series.

The story is an exciting, dramatically plotted sequence of Bad Things Happening to Good People, but it is paced such that it doesn't feel tiresome or hopeless. There's always this glimmer that the crew is going to make it out alive, but goddamn if that elevator isn't taking a really long time to get here. Anyway, I don't think I need to say a ton about the story, but it still sticks out to me how illogical the whole setup of the game is. Police Station connected to a giant underground lab? Who cares, I guess.

fGIhN8R.gif

I love the actual minute to minute gameplay of this title. I never understood discomfort with the control system...once you knew how to work the system, it became second nature. You could bob and weave between zombies like an NBA player. The boss fights became tests of dexterity as you had to nimbly manipulate Leon or Claire on catwalks that were little more than 2x4s. Some of the bosses could be frustrating in this sense, but man they got your heart racing.

I think a lot of people grew tired of the puzzles in the game-- bizarre chess piece locks, gem puzzles, vaccine combinations, keys to every single door in the universe-- but I think it really made the sense of mystery and intrigue the game was trying to convey that much stronger. Why would the Police Station be set up like this? What's with the way this door is locked? What kind of keycard do I need here? I remember playing this game with my stepmom watching, actually, and she would take notes as I ran through the hallways of the items I picked up and where she thought they might be useful. "Why don't you try the gem in this slot?" she would say. How about the keycard you found on that body? What about the Eagle Medallion here? It was almost like a team sport. Obviously Resident Evil doesn't even bother anymore.

The zapping system sticks out to me as unique and somewhat abandoned. The series would introduce multiple playable characters in various other games in the series (not counting the coop games, of course) like RE3 and Code: Veronica, but never again would they commit so wholly to the concept. Two different characters really taking two completely different paths and experiencing two different narratives that together formed a complete, comprehensive account. It really demanded the player play it twice to get everything out of it, which might be why nobody will ever do this again.

Anyway, I love this game. I think it is so fun and challenging.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Really need to play that game, right after I go through REmake. What version should I track down? Vanilla PS1 (PSN download)? Gamecube? Dreamcast? PC?

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
You're a good man Y2K, going to subscribe to this. I agree completely that this is Kamiyas' best work he has done but I would say it was a great team effort on nailing the atmosphere perfect considering how different the tone 1.5 and this title was. I have always been curious to what a remake would be like with this title in the Pantaray engine if they can get a lot of the old guys back together to give any revision proper treatment than just a rail shooting game.

Also this has the best musical score than any of the series with the flawless Bio G Medley <3

I replayed the N64 version up to 10 times. It is so good that it is the only game my sister was better than me.

She did everything in the game, from Claire to Tofu in all difficulties. The analog was a blessing for me.

dalin80

Banned
Absolutely love the game, atmosphere and music were perfect, gameplay was a lot of fun and story was just the right amount of crazy. It's just a shame to see what modern RE's have descended into.

Best Kamiya game and the best Resident Evil. I used to be absolutely nuts about this game and I remember how my relationship with it grew unlike any other game.

I think I was 9 or 10 years old when I first completed the game and I was scared SHITLESS on many occasions but I persevered and it was my first horror game I completed and I loved the genre ever since. After that I started to play it again and again and again and it kinda transformed from being a horror experience to being an actual ''game'' I started to try mastering. Going from easy to normal at first, then not using FAS, less saves and speedrunning until I got the best ranks with eyes closed.

One of my dream games would be REmake 2 with more difficulty levels. I'd love to try the PC version that has hard mode someday.

Vanilla PS1 (PSN download)?
PSN version is actually Dualshock rerelease with (obviously) dualshock controls and the new battle minigame. That is a great way to play it.

Y2Kev

Really need to play that game, right after I go through REmake. What version should I track down? Vanilla PS1 (PSN download)? Gamecube? Dreamcast? PC?

I've only played it on PS1 and N64, so I would assume the other versions have marginally better graphics. The N64 version "type C" controls are more like 3d controls.

Jawmuncher

I really need to replay RE2 sometime soon.
Oddly enough when I did my marathon last year I considered it the weakest of the bunch for the main series. Which is pretty odd considering all the praise it got and me absolutely loving the setting. I think it might just have something to do with me love RE3 though. Absolutely love nemesis and everything done in that game. Which I feel is still the best bridge of catering to easier gameplay but keeping the original feel intact.

Besides that though you definitely nailed everything about RE2 though. I definitely liked the locales, characters, character swapping, and especially the monster design which became main stays. I really do think that I was just in a odd state of mind last time I played it. That's happened before with some other games as well. Where my second play through after a "bad" one was much more enjoyable and memorable.

Still my favorite RE game, and I love the hell out of RE 4. It was officially my first entry into the franchise, because my family had bought a PS1 a little after its release. I rented it first and didn't understand WTF I was doing, but when I had someone explain it to me I begged for the game and played it that summer (along with an "unauthorized" guide). Having played it a few times over the years, including as a digital title on my PS3 and Vita, it still holds up for me.

I'm fine with the PSN version, though I wish I could track down a copy of the Gamecube version.

I love '90s PlayStation ads.

Bought this over Halloween but haven't gotten the chance to play it yet (Dualshock version apparently, if it makes any difference). Really excited because it's the only Kamiya directed game I haven't played yet. Even though I'm not big on horror games, I picked up REmake not too long ago and thought it was awesome.

Y2Kev

I am an absolutely enormous fan of Nemesis-- I think it is the clear bridge between the RE1 and RE2 style game and the more action-heavy RE4/RE5/RE6 style game without pushing too far in either direction. I don't give it quite as much credit because it is not as original and I really, really liked the sense of "home" in RE2 the police station gives you, but RE3 is undoubtedly strong. The live decision choice system is so good. And pursuit is just horrifying no matter how it pops up in games so Nemesis chasing you with a rocket launcher is always amazing.

params7

Banned
I loved 3 more than 2. The tap turn around, Nemesis, create your own ammunation, UBCS/Mercs, dat Jill.

They're both what made me into a hardcore RE fan though.

Jawmuncher

PSN Download if you want the quickest and easiest way to play.
The best version is the gamecube though, which used the higher assets from the dreamcast versions and last I recall includes all the extras.

Worst controls ever.

Tsk Tsk Tsk
I'll never agree to the hate Tank Controls get. They are odd at first but become second nature in 5 minutes unless you lack normal coordination

bigace33

Worst controls ever.

Second post nails it. I remember playing it back in the day and enjoying it a bit, but the horrible controls were what made the game tense. Can't believe I actually beat it considering how tedious it was to actually control.

FryHole

A nigh on perfect game. As suggested in the OP, what makes it for me is the escalation - by the end, it's hard to believe that at the start you were bumbling about in a police station just looking for keys. In a way it reminds me of the film Aliens in the way it's so neatly constructed to reach an epic finale.

Events are set up, characters introduced, and then things build, and keep building, and for a miracle actually come together in a satisfying whole.

And all the time with that atmosphere. Amazing stuff.

Y2Kev

Still my favorite RE game, and I love the hell out of RE 4. It was officially my first entry into the franchise, because my family had bought a PS1 a little after its release. I rented it first and didn't understand WTF I was doing, but when I had someone explain it to me I begged for the game and played it that summer (along with an "unauthorized" guide). Having played it a few times over the years, including as a digital title on my PS3 and Vita, it still holds up for me.

I'm fine with the PSN version, though I wish I could track down a copy of the Gamecube version.

I love '90s PlayStation ads.

THE TAGLINE! If the suspense doesn't kill you, something else will.

OMG 90s playstation <3

Also, yeah, the monster design-- huge leap forward over RE1. RE1's zombies were something sorta busted. The licker in particular in RE2. WTF was that? Mad genius.

I still don't understand how you could fail to adapt to the controls in a few minutes. Fixed perspective meant the tank controls were fairly intuitive...

It is a crying shame that REmake 2 and 3 haven't happened yet. I still want to believe they can, but due to the sales numbers of REmake and Zero (and Capcom being Cacpcom) I know that they won't. It makes me sad.

Imo Resident Evil 2 is the best in the series, the story and voice acting is top notch. I hope one day it could get the remake treatment with beautiful pre-rendered backgrounds. The ost is also the best. <3 Marshalling Yard.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
As I recall, the best version of the game is supposed to be the DC version. The GC version is based on the PS1 version, and has better looking cinematics (which, yikes are they ugly), while the DC version is based on the PC version, which has higher-poly models.

Tyrant rushing through the wall has to be the most cheapest jumpscare in any game I have ever played. In RE1 the famous dogwindow you can so see it coming but there is absolutely no way to know that the game would actually start to break the rules it has set up that far. Scenario B is fuckin brilliant.

been replaying lately as ps one classics on ym vita while taking the train from CT-NYC and vise versa...cleared Leon A and Claire B....need to get better times though, it had been at least 5 years since attempting either. Favorite game in the series though without question!!

7wv32Ww.gif

Nice thread. Didn't Mikami started developing and then Kamiya take the lead, or it was RE4?

Anyways best classic RE. Masterpiece.

Guzim

One of my favorite games ever. I replayed it last summer, and it was so tense at times. The music is still fantastic, and I think Sherry's Theme is probably my favorite song off the soundtrack.

Jawmuncher

It is a crying shame that REmake 2 and 3 haven't happened yet. I still want to believe they can, but due to the sales numbers of REmake and Zero (and Capcom being Cacpcom) I know that they won't. It makes me sad.

REmake sold pretty well it was Zero that bombed for whatever reason. We were just at a odd stage at that point. The consumer was changing at that point and with the lack of sales for Outbreak 2 capcom I guess just felt that the fixed camera and such was done. I recall reading that RE4 was the last leg for the Resident Evil series to continue on. Had it failed number wise the series might have been regulated to Mega Man status now. Still with the clamoring for older style gameplay I say going back to remaking RE2 and RE3 is still in their best interest. Remind the fanbase why they fell in love with the series. Even if they have to keep the over the shoulder cam, I think it could be done easy enough.

I started playing this game for the first time this Halloween. Fuck this game is hard

If you want to be a cheater the N64 version actually has cheat codes
Which always threw me for a loop since no other version has it. Seems that was all the port studios doing. Regardless still amazed to this day that they got RE2 onto a cartridge.

THE TAGLINE! If the suspense doesn't kill you, something else will.

OMG 90s playstation <3

Also, yeah, the monster design-- huge leap forward over RE1. RE1's zombies were something sorta busted. The licker in particular in RE2. WTF was that? Mad genius.

I still don't understand how you could fail to adapt to the controls in a few minutes. Fixed perspective meant the tank controls were fairly intuitive...

The monster designs really are freaking amazing. The licker is still one of the coolest enemies to this day in gaming.

Neff

7wv32Ww.gif

Nice thread. Didn't Mikami started developing and then Kamiya take the lead, or it was RE4?

Anyways best classic RE. Masterpiece.

Mikami directed the first one, which Kamiya was a planner for. Mikami turned over directing duties to Kamiya for the sequel, which started as RE 1.5, which of course was scrapped. They restarted a new RE2, but Mikami insisted that Kamiya remain as director, despite Kamiya feeling that he had failed.

Kamiya started directing a prototype of 4, which became Devil May Cry.

RE2 really is just an all-out classic game.

Y2Kev, I <3 you for correctly understanding that RE4 is the best game ever and that Code: Veronica is the worst game in the series, and for appreciating RE3. Also, RE2 is a fucking incredible game and I basically pray constantly for a combined RE2/3Make.

Zebetite

Banned
Word!

I love Resident Evil 2 like it were my family. It's something that I can always count on to be there for me. It is the trees, the rocks, the earth. Something is growing on it like a miraculous form of moss on a tree that cures ailments with its consumption. It only gets better with age. It's a fine wine.

Y2Kev, I <3 you for correctly understanding that RE4 is the best game ever and that Code: Veronica is the worst game in the series, and for appreciating RE3. Also, RE2 is a fucking incredible game and I basically pray constantly for a combined RE2/3Make.

Badcrumble I thought we were frieeeeeennnndssss

Just Zero alone is way less good than CV (that is awesome! ;-;). Not to even talk about the sidegames.

Jawmuncher

As I recall, the best version of the game is supposed to be the DC version. The GC version is based on the PS1 version, and has better looking cinematics (which, yikes are they ugly), while the DC version is based on the PC version, which has higher-poly models.

Yeah that might be it.
Sucks that there's no definite version really since while one might have an advantage the other has something else over it. If News Bot shows up I know he'd be able to explain the differences to a T.

Masterpiece indeed. Best in the series. One of the best games for me. Many fond memories and still delivering :)

That is where Capcom should take inspiration for RE7. And we haven't seen Claire for quite a while.

Resident Evil 2 is the best Resident Evil game, but Resident Evil 4 is the best game ever made. This is perfectly logical, True and Real and I feel sorry for people who can't understand it.

For me, RE2 was the simultaneously the least scary and most fun of the classic RE's. It was certainly the easiest... I always had a huge excess of ammo. It was definitely a worthy sequel that improved on many things from the original while also leaving behind some things that made the original so great. I wouldn't call it Kamiya's masterpiece though for the fact that it still used Mikami's principal design philosophies from the first game. Overall though it is in my top three RE games along with REmake and RE4.

destrudo

When I first played this game as a kid I didn't know that beating it once unlocked a different scenario with the other character. I tried a little bit of Claire before going with Leon and I thought it was weird that they both started on the same side after the car crashes. I have no idea how I missed something so obvious but you can imagine how happy I was when I found out much later there was a whole other half of the game I missed out on.

Also, you really have to beat it 4 times to see everything. Leon A to Claire B, and then Claire A to Leon B.

Jawmuncher

Masterpiece indeed. Best in the series. One of the best games for me. Many fond memories and still delivering :)

That is where Capcom should take inspiration for RE7. And we haven't seen Claire for quite a while.

We haven't seen a TON of character's in the RE lore. One of the reasons I thought sherry's inclusion in 6 was pretty awesome. Capcom loves to add characters but hate's to bring them back.

Did I say RE2 was my least favorite? Yeah that definitely goes to CVX.
I forgot I even played that game. Sheesh it's not that bad but it's odd that a game on a newer system felt inferior to it's PSX counterparts. Though I understand that's because another studio made it while the PS1 games were being made.

Neff

Yeah that might be it.
Sucks that there's no definite version really since while one might have an advantage the other has something else over it. If News Bot shows up I know he'd be able to explain the differences to a T.

The DC version boasted higher-resolution models, higher-quality fullscreen (albeit cropped) CG videos, a character/enemy model viewer, and health and ammo displayed on the VMU. I feel it's the best version.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Did I say RE2 was my least favorite? Yeah that definitely goes to CVX.
I forgot I even played that game. Sheesh it's not that bad but it's odd that a game on a newer system felt inferior to it's PSX counterparts. Though I understand that's because another studio made it while the PS1 games were being made.

Yeeaaaahhh, I like CVX and all, but it's a definite downgrade from RE2 in a lot of ways. Especially in the latter half of the game. And compared to REmake? Ha! Not even close.

Top Bottom