• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we ban the word "waifu" from NeoGAF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
To think, it actually started out not meaning anything other than literally "My wife" when Mr Kimura said it in Azumanga Daioh.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
f1SNB7p.jpg

SmithnCo

I think it's mostly used tongue-in-cheek but it's getting annoying at this point. When someone posts about certain characters you can be sure someone's gonna chime in and say it's their waifu.

INow that Rosalina is being included in every game, the "waifu" posts seem more prevalent than ever. And frankly, it's a huge turnoff.

Oh god, this too. I swear every thread with mention to Rosalina has the word waifu in it. The Mario Party 10 thread even. Yes, we get that you like the character Rosalina, but really? Keep it to yourself I'd say, and change your way of thinking if, and not only in this case, you seriously feel the need to point out "THAT'S MY WAIFU" everytime you see a character.

Jex

Sure, let them take your animated avatars and your emoticons and your waifus and see what you have left!

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Waifu talk almost ruined Fire Emblem for me. The next game's thread is sure to be dominated by it, and will keep me from participating in actual discussion about a game I expect to really enjoy. It's a damn shame.

I'm in full support of an actual asterisks filter for it.

SmithnCo

Oh god, this too. I swear every thread with mention to Rosalina has the word waifu in it. The Mario Party 10 thread even. Yes, we get that you like the character Rosalina, but really? Keep it to yourself I'd say, and change your way of thinking if, and not only in this case, you seriously feel the need to point out "THAT'S MY WAIFU" everytime you see a character.

Rosalina is seriously the worst recent offender along with FE Awakening characters.

Xiraiya

In all seriousness, I hate seeing that word... if you want to call it that. It's seemingly impossible to post a picture of any attractive female without people immediately sexualizing/objectifying her. Even when used sarcastically, it sets an uncomfortable tone. Hell, a thread about Jamie Lee Curtis was recently derailed because certain people here couldn't keep their fantasies to themselves. Realistically, I don't think it's possible to enforce a ban of this caliber, but it sure would be nice if people removed that word from their vocabulary.
Making this thread was only ever going to result in one thing, I agree with you in the sense that it gets kind of out of control and hard to stomach, but if you aren't one of those people who are actually into it then you should just feel good about yourself and not worry about it so much.
My woman and I frequent the same community thread here so I occasionally refer to her as a waifu in a joking manner when the other members start getting carried away with their shit.

Just have to deal with it.

Jawmuncher

I thought that was because it was derailing discussion, not that sentiments themselves were not to be condoned. Context yo.

That's what I was getting with about derailing and moderation.
The other part I just added as a general statement not related to persona 5.

Mononoke

Banned
I'm not sure how that'd be enforced, but I'm sure a mod can probably reasonably judge the intent of those kinda of posts.

Just warn and then ban if they don't listen? If there is a thread about something else and the discussion turns to objectifying the person, then give a 2 day ban and explain they were derailing the thread by objectifying the person (and not talking about the subject).

So the example is, there is a thread about a female actor doing a charity event. If people start talking about them sexually or the typical "mah waifu" "would marry" "would bang" then just ban them.

Jarate

Banned
Not sure if this is really any better really. Both are pretty off putting.

If people find adoration in a fictional media then that's their business and not mine. I find it no different then the women who love Edward Cullen or Justin Bieber and such, all people that dont really exist but for the purpose to be bait for women (Bieber exists but his persona is fictional, or at least the persona they try to sell)

If it moves a conversation away, then really, if you cant start a conversation beyond waifu stuff then maybe others dont want to discuss that piece of media like others do, and trying to censor others who are enjoying themselves is silly to me

Why are we trying to ban something that is almost exclusively used as a joke?

Far worse is "ayyy lmao" because there's not even an attempt at a joke. Its never clever. If it was ever used as a joke, that's be alright, but when the ENTIRE post is just "ayyy lmao", its annoying.

Mononoke

Banned
The way it's used doesn't matter when the result is the same: it dominates and derails threads regularly. I'd like to discuss a game that happens to feature multiple women without being interrupted by "best girl" and "waifu" discussions. It's a nuisance.

But how will banning the word stop that discussion from happening. Just start banning people that derail threads with that kind of talk. I really don't think its that nuanced in terms of knowing when that's happening.

Thread pops up, people talk about best girl, girl is sexy, would marry etc. Just ban anyone that does that and tell them it's derailing the thread and that kind of talk isn't allowed anymore.

Ya'll want a waifu slayer I can do it. :p

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
No, but I would be happy to support some bans on stupid ass acronyms like GOAT.

Besides, waifu doesn't mean objectifying, at least in a sexual sense. It's like wife, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom