• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taking a break from NeoGAF - A few things of note

My favorite dinosaur is ...

• T-Rex, of course

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • Velociraptor, so cool

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • Troodon (the less mainstream raptor, normies!)

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • Triceratops!

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • Pteranodon (that's a Pterosaur, amsteur)

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Other (see posting)

Votes: 9 15.3%

• Total voters

KevinKeene

Banned
First of all, this is not a 'GAF sucks, ban me'-type of thread. If that's what I thought I'd quietly leave without being a drama queen. ;)

Nonetheless, right after I'm done posting this thread, I'll ask a moderator to ban me for 3 months. Part of this is purely personal - I've mentioned before that I suffer from depression and looking at my life, I mustn't spend so much time on this (or any) forum. At some point I need to stop being a worthless human cell mass and start doing 'something'. I'm already 32, so it might well be too late, but I don't yet feel like giving up. That's part one for why I'm taking a break.

The other part is the current tone/style within this community. I won't call out specific users, it wouldn't be sufficient anyway.

When OldGAF imploded, I was happy. I was delighted that all those terrible people like Lime, CrossingEden, ALinktothePast, and all the other ones responsible for all these shitty, forced identity threads (female Link! Yay no boob slider! Put him in jail because she said so! racist! Sexist! Transphobic! Problematic! Etc, etc) suddenly and finally lost their platform. From then, almost everything Evilore decided to do was the correct choice and NeoGAF, or NewGAF, became a place where discussion could take place again. No more ridiculous bans for minor, maybe slightly offensive things. Even the reduced size of the community has turned out to be almost a blessing - now you can actually follow threads/discussions instead of just getting hundreds of samey, shallow reactions that would often result in a dogpile if someone dared having a different opinion. Great!

But NewGAF right now doesn't feel so great anymore to me :/
I'll try to explain this impression in three points, hopefully it comes across:

1.) Basic forum asthetics are ignored
This is the least 'problematic' point, but its permanent presence still bogs down the feeling of reading and posting within an environment where quality discussion can happen: Sooo many thread titles are shitty, incompetent, elementary school-level constructs. People either don't seem to know about nominal style for headlines or they simply don't care. Entire sentences and more are used as titles, making the thread overview look like, I don't know, Reddit? Or worse. And then you have short titles, too, but without any poignant direction, like "This is a great game" (made up example, again, not calling anyone out). Like, decide what's the POINT of your thread and tell us! Both in title and posting. I've seen threads where even after reading the OP I couldn't say more than 'well, duh'.
To conclude this point: Please try to give your threads some form, people. It's only an internet forum, sure, but if you want quality discussion to happen, put in the effort to make your thread show some quality, too. Making a thread shouldn't be the equivalent of sitting in your room and shouting 'mom, I need my green t-shirt, where is it?!' loud enough so that she can hear you even downstairs.
Quality :)

2.) Basic netiquette
While "you are so fucking stupid" was on the worse end of the spectrum, I still see way too much way too insulting behavior used against each other. People entering a discussion, ignoring what has been said and make some roundabout 'you're all ignorant/ fucking commies/ cuck'. I won't talk about moderation here, who I think is doing a good job. It shouldn't be necessary to have mods teach people basic human decency. Just DON'T treat other people with disrespect (and sure, the occasional fun remark is okay - but it requires some social skills to know when such fun works and when not. Chances are it won't work when you were having a heated debate over some controversial topic up to that point).
At times it feels as if we're a bunch of carnivores trying to figure out the weaknesses of each other for the next attack. It's unnecessary.

3.) Do we really need all these shitty 'hot topics'?
This is what makes me feel the most uncomfortable and it has been getting worse recently. So many threads are made about some identity/outrage/feminist/etc topic, seemingly with the only goal of calling it out and make fun of it. As much as I hated OldGAF, if there's nobody here who offers opposing viewpoints, it feels ... off to have these threads. How many threads about transgender, homosexuals or feminists doing something ridiculous do we really need? Ffs, I fully agree that modern feminists are bad and all that contains. But at times the thread overview looks like there's an agenda being pushed, and not a good one. I don't care about left or right. But many threads simply give off a bit off an 'asshole-feeling'. Basically:

40Idny0.png

Now some will say 'make better threads if you're unhappy', but ... I've been making quite some threads I think. And I don't want to work on making NeoGAF 'better' all by myself, that needs to be done by all of us. Where are the cool science-threads about awesome new findings/experiments? Where's the 'I'm sitting on the toilet at my gf's parents and there's no toilet paper, help'-threads? Where's the 'I traveled to Tibet, here's my report full of amusing anecdotes'-threads? NeoGAF is missing these light hearted topics. The lower-than-before user count is a bad excuse when those other threads have no trouble being made.

Getting to the end.
So that's it. I feel exhausted and a bit put off by the current thread landscape. Maybe that's just me and is all 'tough luck' for me. But maybe you read the above and thought 'so true, I had that impression, too'. In which case I ask you to try and help improve the way we post on this forum and with each other.

Maybe use this thread to both reply to my text as well as to give your opinion on NeoGAF as is right now. I'll be gone for three months and hope to return to a more positive community :).

PS: Fun poll included because polls are always fun!

Panda1

Banned
Great thread everyone needs to read and self reflect hard to what kind of community we want to be

TrainedRage

Banned
See you after your summer break ;)

Good OP, interesting take on the current state of things. I don't agree with everything you said, but I empathize with your needing to get off 'social media'. If you do come back I would be very interested to hear how your time away effects your quality of life.

TTOOLL

We have slowly become too political again imo, but that's just what users here want so what can we do? Take a break seems like an option.

Of course, it's not the same as it once, since moderation is good now and not biased. There's no dogpiling anymore either. These are advantages.

We are better now, but the air is too heavy.

bitbydeath

Get well OP.
I agree with the depressing topics but they often do get a lot of the chatter so can't really cut them out.
Would be great if we just had an entertainment section, cause I'd mostly stay in that and games and I can essentially block out the rest.

While neogaf certainly went through a culture bomb, this [not op, but the partisan hacks] is a fairly relevant display of how people don't understand the issues, and don't want to actually find a solution. They simply want confirmation for their tribal alignment, and that's a big hurdle for people to climb over. It is a display of why we fail to address major issues in US government.

Last edited:

Relativ9

I find myself feeting in and out. Sometimes im in action for a day or two, sometimes for a few weeks. But i always take long breaks in between. Doesn't take me any effort to be honest, its more like i forget to check gaf or stop caring for a period. I think its healthy.

Ironically one of the things that causes me to become bored of the forum is also one of the main reasons i visit it. I truly believe that identity politics is one of the biggest and most important issues of our day, and how we choose to deal with the "epedemic" could define our society for years to come. But at some point i don't want to be frustrated with the world anymore, i want to live my life, be with the woman i love, persue my passions and just in general enjoy some blissful ignorance.

Im also told i become a bit of an insufforable know-it-all when i wear my debating hat too often. So i try to avoid doing it all the time...which Gaf isnt the right place for.

So yeah, hats off OP, go live your life, and when you're back hopefully you'll have been reinvigorated.

Last edited:

GrayFoxRJ

Banned
NeoGAF currently only needs more tolerant people, and more engagement.

Much more.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your reasoning, kinda agree in some points

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Hope you start feeling better, Kevin.

1 - As stated in previous threads, there needs to be much stricter guidelines on how to title a post. There are far too many click-bait, poorly worded, poorly constructed, or lacking in basic information titles. The mods/admins have stated that they change the titles, but I feel like that shouldn't be a thing they need to do. That should be on us, the community, to improve upon.

2 - I do agree with your statement on certain members of the community. There are definitely some who act in a petty, passive aggressive manner (many of which were members during the height of Authoritarian control) who I wish would start discussing in a more calm, adult manner. Some have improved, but there are still a number that make large claims of "if you disagree with me, you are a bigot/racist/sexist/etc", or insinuate as such.

3 - I find that there isn't as much "hot take" posts as you claim. I see posts from the right and left sides, but as they are not "far left" or "authoritarian left" posts they seem to be taking the piss on the "general" left, which is not the case. I am left leaning, but I disagree with a number of the authoritarian/far-left viewpoints, such as "modern feminism" or the push for "diversity in gaming". Yet, that isn't mean that I am hating on the left, acting in a condescending manner, or an "asshole". People will always have an agenda, hell you have made multiple threads and posts with a clear agenda. The thing is, if we discuss as adults in a calm and collected manner, we can come to an understanding, look at different points of view, or take a laugh at some moron who is in the running for Darwin Award of the Year.

Plus, many of these topics (gamergate, feminism, identity, etc) were not able to be talked about or discussed in a civil manner. People are able to enjoy freedom to discuss certain topics and we should let them. Eventually new topics will take their place. As an example, we had a number of posts about GamerGate, but we have since moved on once people grew tired or had their fill of that discussion point.

It's Jeff

Banned
Good luck out there with all your pursuits. A little soul searching never hurt anyone.

In time, I imagine we'll have more actual discussion and less moral grandstanding in these threads. We're not subject matter experts on most of these topics, and we'll remember to argue to learn, not to win.

Pretty sure that's from the Freakonomics podcast, so credit where credit's due.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I think OT just has too much political/social issue stuff at the moment. We need more people creating topics about other stuff and random fun things. It's the internet, so political discussion is going to always be a little heated at times. It just gets a bit draining when most of the threads created are about these topics. The board is much better to post on then prior to the exodus, but still has some growing to do.

Zog

Banned
I think OT just has too much political/social issue stuff at the moment. We need more people creating topics about other stuff and random fun things. It's the internet, so political discussion is going to always be a little heated at times. It just gets a bit draining when most of the threads created are about these topics. The board is much better to post on then prior to the exodus, but still has some growing to do.
People like political topics and that isn't ever going to change. If we had a separate forum for politics we could see how dead OT would become. Might be a fun experiment.

Xiaoki

You could stick to the gaming side.
Gaming side is getting just as political.

Just look at the "Rise of female characters - how organic does it feel" thread. There isnt much difference between this year and last year of games with female leads or games with male and female options but have games with a female WW2 soldier, a female spartan and (most egregious of all) a woman kissing another woman and people start losing their fucking minds and throwing poop.

Oh, wait, who started that "Rise of female characters" thread again?

Yeah.

Corrik

I think most forums could benefit from a dedicated Politics forum. Thus, having Video Games, Off Topic, and Politics. Some people just want to read off topic stuff without being attracted to a political title or have it be turned into one. That said, I don't think the traffic here can support the third forum.

zumphry

Banned
I think most forums could benefit from a dedicated Politics forum. Thus, having Video Games, Off Topic, and Politics. Some people just want to read off topic stuff without being attracted to a political title or have it be turned into one. That said, I don't think the traffic here can support the third forum.

There’s like less than 200 people here at any given time. A third forum for politics would decimate OT.

highrider

Banned
Yeah I need to do more quality posting, you right you right tcha lol. Hey and don’t feel bad bro, I’m 50 and I never did anything much with my life until I was in my mid thirties, not that I’m a huge success now, but things aren’t shitty much!

Future

This forum has entered a style that is mainly for those that have thick skin. It does allow for a certain type of posting, but i would be surprised if it significantly grows and sustains a large user base since its not a very welcoming place. It’s a place to argue about shit that you can’t at the other place

Reminds me a bit like opa age during the first GAF exodus, although not entirely that far gone

At some point I need to stop being a worthless human cell mass and start doing 'something'. I'm already 32, so it might well be too late, but I don't yet feel like giving up. That's part one for why I'm taking a break.

From someone who is past 32 by a bit, let me tell you something. You're always going to have that "okay, but now I really am getting old" feeling. It's starts when you're about 20, maybe 25. But then, you'll be able to think back and say "five years ago, I wasn't so old." Or "man, 10 years ago, I was really quite young." Today's "Maybe I'm too old to make my life better" is tomorrow's "I was so young then." You can always do a lot more with the time you have than you think you can, and five to ten years will always prove today's doubts wrong tomorrow.

Aside from that, advice on how to be happy often just doesn't connect with people as it should. When you're already stuck in a negative cycle in your life, it can be hard to find motivation. When I was younger, I had an especially negative view of the idea of self-help books and the like. It's probably why this is my favorite video on the topic of finding happiness, which comes at the situation from a different angle, and explains how to recognize the activities that contribute to misery. If you haven't seen it, hopefully you'll take something away from it that will help. The idea that you should take some time away from NeoGAF and limit your internet usage is actually a great start.

Lastly, I couldn't agree more that we need to be more respectful to each other here. I'll continue doing my part while you're away. Thanks.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
When I was a wee lad things people posted on the internet made me a bit miffed. But now its like lol. Just my 2 cents OP learn to lol.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It's weird to see people say "modern feminist" are terrible. While at the same time wanting all sides to be able to have a say at the table. Why group all feminist together like this? It's just all so weird. This is where social media has made us a little worse as a society. We see 15 people say something and then we think the whole "group" is that way.

SMH.

NahaNago

At some point I need to stop being a worthless human cell mass and start doing 'something'. I'm already 32, so it might well be too late, but I don't yet feel like giving up. That's part one for why I'm taking a break.

This is exactly where I'm at in life right now and pretty much how I feel about myself, but I feel like any permanent change I want to do in life will take me forever it feels like to accomplish. I'm right now attempting to create really good habits/self discipline to accomplish my goals. I'm hoping that by the end of the year I'll feel far more proud of myself with what I have accomplished.

Dunki

It is never too late. I am now 37 and before that I failed at my University I went mostly to school and was basically useless to everyone. But after I failed my University I made a "Schulische Ausbildung" in IT and now I am almost close of finishing it (tomorrow) and already sitting at my future workplace enjoying life again. Do not give up figure something out you want to do in Life and do it. It is never too late to tryy its only too late if you give up.

dolabla

It's weird to see people say "modern feminist" are terrible. While at the same time wanting all sides to be able to have a say at the table. Why group all feminist together like this? It's just all so weird. This is where social media has made us a little worse as a society. We see 15 people say something and then we think the whole "group" is that way.

SMH.

Social media burning to the ground would do the world a massive favor.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

SMH.
What are your thoughts on BLM

Dunki

SMH.
I guess you already know my opinion but why did you say all gamergaters are terrible? It is a stigmatization of a group and generalisation. And this goes for all groups. It is not represented by the people who shout the loudest but these are the people who are controlling the public opinion. Sma goes for religious groups etc. And if you do not something to fight back then people who you might not agree with will hijack these ideologies. Look how #metoo was hijacked by modern feminists as an example. It is sadly always about the people who shout the loudest in the name of something

Skyn3t

Banned
It's a bummer, always enjoyed OPs threads and posts. But I understand and can relate as I myself am struggling with depression and anxiety at a similar age. See you soon, buddy.

mckmas8808

What are your thoughts on BLM

Well again there's no one BLM group. But the basics of what they stand for and what they are trying to do is great for the country. Any reasonable people should be able to see and understand that. Would I disagree with "some" of their tactics? Yes, but we all know that no group, company, or organization is perfect.

I guess you already know my opinion but why did you say all gamergaters are terrible? It is a stigmatization of a group and generalisation. And this goes for all groups. It is not represented by the people who shout the loudest but these are the people who are controlling the public opinion. Sma goes for religious groups etc. And if you do not something to fight back then people who you might not agree with will hijack these ideologies. Look how #metoo was hijacked by modern feminists as an example. It is sadly always about the people who shout the loudest in the name of something

You are choosing to look at the #metoo thing as being hi-jacked. That's your choice. I choose not to look at the worst people within an organization or group of people. I try to look at what the average person is saying. Or what is the message that the average person will be getting from said group.

Skyn3t

Banned
Pardon my ignorance, but could someone explain GamerGate I the TL:DR fashion? I'm in just for the games, not drama, but it would be nice to know WTF is this all about :)

Dunki

Well again there's no one BLM group. But the basics of what they stand for and what they are trying to do is great for the country. Any reasonable people should be able to see and understand that. Would I disagree with "some" of their tactics? Yes, but we all know that no group, company, or organization is perfect.

You are choosing to look at the #metoo thing as being hi-jacked. That's your choice. I choose not to look at the worst people within an organization or group of people. I try to look at what the average person is saying. Or what is the message that the average person will be getting from said group.
I do that too. But when I see well known feminist defending this bullshit what else should I think? Again. When some more famous modern feminist tells me that she does not care if innocent men are bing hit by this because of Patriarchy and which then also gets a ton of likes and retweets what do you want me to believe?

Also claming there is no BLM group when they have well known leaders is a stupid as saying that a # called gamergate was all about harassing women. And that Gamegate was never a group to begin with. Yu can not claim one thing for something you support and another for something you do not.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Pardon my ignorance, but could someone explain GamerGate I the TL:DR fashion? I'm in just for the games, not drama, but it would be nice to know WTF is this all about :)

I would suggest looking through this thread:
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/game...ternet-murdering-each-other-about-it.1460965/

SMH.

mckmas, you have done the same exact thing with GamerGate that you are "shaking your head" at when people do it to Modern Feminism or BLM. Don't you find that a tad hypocritical?

DKehoe

Hope you are feeling better soon Kevin! At 32 you still have plenty of time and potential to figure out what you want to do!

The moderation on here becoming more lax has had some benefits, but it (or perhaps the smaller user base) has also led to what can feel like pretty repetitive discussions. What I liked about GAF before was that you could find discussions about almost everything. Now a large percentage of the conversation on here is people complaining about feminists. Somehow this thread itself has already spun into people talking about that.

mckmas8808

I do that too. But when I see well known feminist defending this bullshit what else should I think? Again. When some more famous modern feminist tells me that she does not care if innocent men are bing hit by this because of Patriarchy and which then also gets a ton of likes and retweets what do you want me to believe?

Also claming there is no BLM group when they have well known leaders is a stupid as saying that a # called gamergate was all about harassing women. And that Gamegate was never a group to begin with. Yu can not claim one thing for something you support and another for something you do not.

I'm not saying there aren't BLM groups. There are. That's just a fact. I'm saying there isn't just "one" BLM group. So someone can tell me something that a leader of one BLM group in Kansas City said and many people might not have every known about that statement.

I would suggest looking through this thread:
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/game...ternet-murdering-each-other-about-it.1460965/

mckmas, you have done the same exact thing with GamerGate that you are "shaking your head" at when people do it to Modern Feminism or BLM. Don't you find that a tad hypocritical?

So both of you guys have said this, but I'm not sure when I did say that about GamerGate. I'm not saying you guys are lying, because I could have said that. But honestly what are you guys talking about?

Ka-Kui

I agree with the sentiments. Especially the last one. Even if you feel you're on the right side od the argument, let's not allow the fact that just because the majority of the members now support your view that that should make you feel free to be an asshole to others of opposing views - that was old gaf and let's not repeat old mistakes.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I'm confident KevinKeene is speaking from the heart here and I agree overall. I find difficult subjects intellectually stimulating, but I also would really like a more balanced discussion with lighter subjects to just shoot the shit with too. As for thread titles: I agree, but as users have pointed out, a lot of times they're using the exact title the news outlets are using. The news itself is getting shittier and more clickbaity and intellectually dishonest. And the internet is getting more hostile and polarized, quite rapidly. Stay chill and I'll keep doing what I can alongside the mod team.

Just remember to make new threads! You don't need to put a lot of effort in terms of time and length. Just try to avoid clickbait titles and so forth as discussed above. Balance things out with some lighter discussion and we'll be fine.

We just got done with a hectic but positive E3 week on gaming side. I'll have more major announcements soon with regards to ban reviews/appeals (oh my god things went terribly last year and so many unjust bans went through, not just the bish ones post-election) and a big overhaul on the technical end coming soon. It's gonna be sweet.

In the mean time, feel free to talk about how you feel wrt NeoGAF's present situation here (respectfully). By the time KevinKeene comes back from his hiatus let's be a more mutually positive/constructive place that isn't any less thoughtful, interesting, or engaging.

When the communities died, so too did amicable thread making. Often, people in the same community will discuss something, then someone will elect create a thread in the general |OT| to capture a larger audience in the discussion. People from the community boards will pour out into the |OT| to show their support.

Discussion happens when people agree or are close to agreement, and are actively working to figure the rest out together. Like, I discuss what happened during E3 among my friends. The interaction is mostly positive. We are celebrating more than butting heads.

When people disagree you get debate. Who had the best showing at E3? That's a question that incites debate, and is oftentimes rooted in System Wars. People get into their feelings because they want "their" platform to win, and everyone ends up losing when the dust settles.

And that's just gaming side. Purely entertainment that has no real implications beyond "first world problems."

Do not forget that the GAF exodus was politically charged: #MeToo is a zero-tolerance movement against predatory sexual interactions. But that's how political discussions have been happening in the US, especially since Bush 2000, when he won the EC but lost the popular vote. That began the zero-sum, winner-take-all attitude, further exacerbated during the Obama administration where the Tea Party all but said "**** that n****r in the White House!" (well, the Neo-Nazis/Alt-right are doing it forreal now). Meanwhile, in Europe, besides the bankruptcy of Greece, Brexit was the shot heard 'round the world, the last cry of Thatcherism by the older generation.

GAF is trying to figure out what it wants to be. Nobody likes being called a xenophobe, but nationalism is celebrated here; immigration is frowned upon. Nobody likes to be called sexist, but the purpose of modern feminism is frequently called into question. Nobody likes being called racist, but even when a private company like Starbucks spends its own money to improve employee/customer relations, someone takes issue with it because "Starbucks is an international company that will disseminate its positions on race outside of the US." Nobody likes being called homophobic, but then a user straight up says that it shouldn't matter that a barber is anti-LGBT, because you're there because they give great haircuts, not for their opinion on politics.

Consider that these things are all happening in the foreground. If you are a "protected class" (which, I can raise the issue that there are many users here who snarl at the idea of a protected class), and you see folks regularly trashing identity politics, why would you bother "hanging out" with those same people in a "fun" thread? Why would you bother making a "fun" thread? This behavior would be an act of cognitive dissonance, like inviting the bully at school who says you should kill yourself every day to hang out with you and your friends.

If GAF doesn't want to (further) descend into all those other places that used to mock GAF, then GAF needs to begin demonstrating behavior that separates it from those places.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I really only go on the gaming forum side bit it hasn't taken long for some of the old antics to return.

What I just don't understand is why have moderators if they don't take care of the people that clearly have zero interest on having a good discussion and instead are extremely agressive but refrain from using trigger words that will get them banned.

It's literally only a matter of time in EVERY SINGLE THREAD, till one of a dozen or so members will come in and just shit on the entire thread and it veers instantly.

While I get it, I also don't understand the point of having a system that doesn't let people just sign up and post. I thought the whole point was to get only quaility conversations and posters.

So what if someone doesn't use words like fanboy or says something sexist. It's so clear when someone is just derailing. Why keep these people? I could name 10 people right now and you can go into every thread on the gaming side and there will be a post form all 10 adding nothing to the conversation.

So what happens? A new thread is eventually started with a similar topic, but then within minutes is derailed. It's a cycle that never changes. So there's no point in starting a new topic. Zero.

I was told blocking is the solution, but that does literally nothing but make a thread harder to follow.

It severely ruins my neogaf experience 90 percent of the time. I shouldn't let it bother me I guess, but it's annoying that the principal objective isn't being met.

Its fair to say that things are better in terms of the political "balance" and people aren't just chastised for having a different opinion , but this is how it starts.

People just keep pushing the boundaries until the mods just stop banning people all together except for posts that ask please ban me.

The reputation of Gaf is still Rocky, and that won't change unless the core principals are met and the way you try to achieve them is met as well.

This probably sounded ranty more than I would of liked and I'm probably in the m in the minority, but oh well.

Last edited:

zumphry

Banned
What I just don't understand is why have moderators if they don't take care of the people that clearly have zero interest on having a good discussion and instead are extremely agressive but refrain from using trigger words that will get them banned.

ah, the ol' diablos991 strategy. #classic.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
When the communities died, so too did amicable thread making. Often, people in the same community will discuss something, then someone will elect create a thread in the general |OT| to capture a larger audience in the discussion. People from the community boards will pour out into the |OT| to show their support.

Discussion happens when people agree or are close to agreement, and are actively working to figure the rest out together. Like, I discuss what happened during E3 among my friends. The interaction is mostly positive. We are celebrating more than butting heads.

When people disagree you get debate. Who had the best showing at E3? That's a question that incites debate, and is oftentimes rooted in System Wars. People get into their feelings because they want "their" platform to win, and everyone ends up losing when the dust settles.

I'm sorry? Debating is a form of discussion and I believe you are missing the idea of "group discussion".

Group Discussion

As the name implies, a group discussion is a discussion between participants on a chosen topic. Participants are allowed to take part in the discussion freely, and there is actually a healthy exchange of ideas and opinions. It does not matter if a speaker in a group discussion is taking a position for or against a topic as long as he can justify his position through reasoning. However, there is no winning or losing in a group discussion as the process leads to a better understanding of a topic, whether it is a social issue or the provisions of a new proposed law.

This is by far the most common form of discussion I see on NeoGaf currently. An excellent example of this was the GamerGate thread that ran for 17(?) pages. This is something that rarely occurred prior, unlike what you seem to claim. As I state below, we have people on both the conservative and liberal side disagree with one another and agreeing with one another in various topics. Rarely do things get heated and when they do, mods will come in and settle things.

GAF is trying to figure out what it wants to be. Nobody likes being called a xenophobe, but nationalism is celebrated here; immigration is frowned upon.

I see people on both sides of this argument. People have different views and opinions on how immigration should be handled. We have liberals who disagree with each other, conservatives who disagree with each other, and even some liberals and conservatives that agree with each other. This is a conversation. You are making a largely disingenuous statement claim by stating that "immigration is frowned upon" or that "nationalism" is celebrated.

Nobody likes to be called sexist, but the purpose of modern feminism is frequently called into question.

Again, what is wrong with that? We have people who are liberal and conservative who are having a discussion. You seem to be having issues because you disagree with people of the other side. Another largely disingenuous statement by suggesting it is sexist or that their opinions (that differ from yours) are. Pardon if that is now what you meant, but that is how it came across to me.

Nobody likes being called racist, but even when a private company like Starbucks spends its own money to improve employee/customer relations, someone takes issue with it because "Starbucks is an international company that will disseminate its positions on race outside of the US."

Same as the last two.

Nobody likes being called homophobic, but then a user straight up says that it shouldn't matter that a barber is anti-LGBT, because you're there because they give great haircuts, not for their opinion on politics.

Again, same thing here.

Consider that these things are all happening in the foreground. If you are a "protected class" (which, I can raise the issue that there are many users here who snarl at the idea of a protected class), and you see folks regularly trashing identity politics, why would you bother "hanging out" with those same people in a "fun" thread? Why would you bother making a "fun" thread? This behavior would be an act of cognitive dissonance, like inviting the bully at school who says you should kill yourself every day to hang out with you and your friends.

This is largely a *you* problem. You disagree with someone else's opinion and that makes you not want to discuss with them in "fun" threads? Get over it. I disagree with a large number of people on here, but I will still gladly talk about things we agree on or have in common, whether that be science, food, or games. People disagree and have wildly different viewpoints and that is what makes forums fun. Learning about these wildly different view points, disagreeing and agreeing with certain opinions. Y'know, being a unique person.

You make a large amount of disingenuous and frankly false claims and assertions with these last two paragraphs of yours. Again, apologies if that is not what you meant with your post, but it feels like you want everyone to agree with you and those who don't are xenophobic, sexist, racist, or homophobic to your eyes. The idea that talking in "fun" threads with people you disagree with are the same as inviting a "bully" that says to kill yourself? Really, mate? That is absolutely absurd.

Last edited:

edgefusion

GAF is trying to figure out what it wants to be. Nobody likes being called a xenophobe, but nationalism is celebrated here; immigration is frowned upon. Nobody likes to be called sexist, but the purpose of modern feminism is frequently called into question. Nobody likes being called racist, but even when a private company like Starbucks spends its own money to improve employee/customer relations, someone takes issue with it because "Starbucks is an international company that will disseminate its positions on race outside of the US." Nobody likes being called homophobic, but then a user straight up says that it shouldn't matter that a barber is anti-LGBT, because you're there because they give great haircuts, not for their opinion on politics.

I haven't posted here since the exodus but I come back every now and then to see how things are going. In all honesty I dislike the overbearing moderation style of 'the other place', at times it feels more constricting than OldNeoGAF was. Conversely, I appreciate the sentiment here that everyone can express an opinion, even if it's unpopular, without being branded with a warning strip.

That said, as a gay guy I've hesitated to post anything here due to the quoted above. I want people to have their say but not at my expense, I want people to debate issues but not call into question my right to be treated equally. I'm a minority and as such I have empathy for other minorities, but I don't see that empathy reflected in this community.

Papa

Banned
I haven't posted here since the exodus but I come back every now and then to see how things are going. In all honesty I dislike the overbearing moderation style of 'the other place', at times it feels more constricting than OldNeoGAF was. Conversely, I appreciate the sentiment here that everyone can express an opinion, even if it's unpopular, without being branded with a warning strip.

That said, as a gay guy I've hesitated to post anything here due to the quoted above. I want people to have their say but not at my expense, I want people to debate issues but not call into question my right to be treated equally. I'm a minority and as such I have empathy for other minorities, but I don't see that empathy reflected in this community.

Fair cop mate, but I take umbrage with this part:

"I'm a minority and as such I have empathy for other minorities"

You shouldn't have to think a certain way because of your group identity. Moreover, you should be able to have empathy for anyone, irrespective of their immutable characteristics. There are black/gay/trans/whatever people who are doing pretty damn well in life just as there are straight white males who are slumming it.

Papa

Banned

SMH.

I disagree. Feminism is an ideology based on the doctrine of patriarchy theory and belongs at the group level, not the individual level. Just as a "Christian" whose belief system isn't based on the bible isn't really a Christian, or a "Muslim" whose belief system isn't based on the Quran isn't really a Muslim, a "feminist" whose belief system isn't based on patriarchy theory isn't really a feminist. You can believe in equal rights for the two genders (equal responsibilities apparently optional) without being a feminist.

My rule for what is/isn't allowed to be criticised fundamentally comes down to whether or not it is an immutable characteristic. Race/sex/sexual orientation are all immutable characteristics and are therefore in the basket of untouchables. Culture/ideology are not. Putting culture and ideology in the basket of untouchables is how we get Scientology.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

A) Let's break this down a little. What does your expense entail? What indicators of empathy are you looking for that you can't see?

B) Hi edgefusion. Thanks for speaking up despite your personal concerns and not remaining silent; that's brave of you. I have gay friends and I've brought on LGBT people for the mod team several times happily and I've donated to LGBT causes numerous times. NeoGAF is and always has been LGBT-friendly.

Both of the above are sincere statements, but I've written the first one without anything to indicate to you that I'm on your side, and you might take it as confrontational and hostile depending on how you perceive it and me and this place. The second one, on the other hand, is gushing with "virtue signals." All of those things I said are true, and I do think it's brave to speak out despite your concerns, but I have no interest in pandering to other people or inflating myself for the sake of others' perception of me.

I led with the one that would seem more hostile to you, and then I gave you the virtue signalling that would immediately seem like fake pandering after the contextualization instead of the other way around. :goog_geek:

Not trying to fuck with you. Just a thought experiment to help reflect on what you perceive GAF to be right now and why. I've been running this place foreeeeever and I thought folks knew where I stood about such things based on my actions and the rules laid down here. If anyone on the present mod team has any anti-LGBT sentiment I've never seen it in words or deeds, and I don't know most of their orientation and didn't look or ask...but if they did disclose their orientation there would be no problem. "I don't ask; they can feel free to tell." ;b

Likewise to you. You're welcome to discuss your orientation if you'd like, or not to if you'd prefer not to. You won't gain or lose points from it on the administrative side. We're only concerned with what you have to say substantively, not your labels. Thanks!

VAL0R

Banned
Race/sex/sexual orientation are all immutable characteristics and are therefore in the basket of untouchables. Culture/ideology are not. Putting culture and ideology in the basket of untouchables is how we get Scientology.
This is highly debatable and should not by any means be off limits for discussion in an honest and open forum. For just one example, we know that some people who are restricted from heterosexual relationships, such as prisoners, sometimes adopt new sexual practices and change their sexual orientation to satisfy their sexual appetites. I'm just stating fact, not commenting on the morality of such acts. Also, don't many gender theorists (who I personally disagree with) state that gender can be fluid and ever-changing?

Papa

Banned
This is highly debatable and should not by any means be off limits for discussion in an honest and open forum. For just one example, we know that some people who are restricted from heterosexual relationships, such as prisoners, sometimes adopt new sexual practices and change their sexual orientation to satisfy their sexual appetites. I'm just stating fact, not commenting on the morality of such acts. Also, don't many gender theorists (who I personally disagree with) state that gender can be fluid and ever-changing?

Alright, you can make that argument, but it’s tangential to my point (which I think you understood).

Top Bottom