• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments Discussion Thread

Rymuth

What about the load times? In one review they mentioned that they are horrible (PS4). The areas are quite small but despite that, loading screens between 10 and 20 seconds with every room change.
There are no rooms, only rather big areas. The loading only occurs when you go from one area to the next (eg: Baker Street to Scotland Yard)

I have an SSD installed on my PS4, so I'm not sure if I'm a reliable judge but the shortest amount of loading has been 2 seconds and the longest had been 10 seconds.

Fortunately, there's still some 'agency' in the loading screen...which is basically Holmes and Watson sitting in a cab. You can check your notebook, make adjustments on the deduction board etc.

Karak

What about the load times? In one review they mentioned that they are horrible (PS4). The areas are quite small but despite that, loading screens between 10 and 20 seconds with every room change.

Would be a deal breaker. And that price... 55-60 EUR in the EU

Not bad on any version I have played though one case in particular does drag out due to a large amount of back and forth travel compared to the others.

Fady K

I liked it better. Overall it has made a fairly big jump not only graphically but just how everything comes together smoothly. I still dinged the game for not giving Watson his due like the shows and movies have. He is a character that could be interesting and if used well, a great sidekick.

I think this is my favorite. I haven't played them all but I did play the most recent ones and this one is by far better.

Also as I said in my review he looks like Abraham Lincoln private investigator and you can't ignore the awesomeness of that:)

Awesome!! Thanks for the write up, loved your impressions. Watson does deserve better indeed! So much potential with him. You made me happier, thanks.

Heres my review http://youtu.be/K-gjTcbTqVo Best Sherlock game in my opinion and not super hard as well.

YES SLASHER <3 Now I'm excited more for it!

wouwie

Hmm... to buy or not to buy. I'm up for an adventure game so i'm definately interested. The reviews i have seen seem to average out at 7 to 8. I haven't seen a real negative review yet. Seems it's enjoyable but flawed in various "small" ways.

misho8723

Banned
Going to buy the game this week.. read another review with positive score - Eurogamer.cz 8/10 - so I'm really looking forward to it

Really looking forward to this one after the pleasant surprise that was Testament. It should be a great complement for the Professor Layton game I am currently playing through. Does anyone know how much the PS4 version is going to cost on PSN in North America? The physical copies were going for $59.99, so I'm fully expecting to get screwed over by Canadian pricing on this one, which would be a shame. $69.99 is just too much.

Trin

Great impressions guys! How does it compare to the Testament of Sherlock Holmes (if you've played it)?

I've played every game in the series (including the hidden object adventure Hound of the Baskervilles - don't judge me!) and this is the leading contender. Full disclosure if it isn't obvious: I've got fan bias.

I would say Crimes & Punishments is cleaner, with a better story, and slightly easier gameplay than Testament, which had several more confusing goals and a lot of aimless wandering (at least in my experience). Most of the time in C&P, the next step has been fittingly logical. Still, there's quite a bit of backtracking or travelling in some cases and so the pacing swings around like it did in Testament. Most of the core mechanics will be familiar to you like the deduction board, investigative talent "glow in the dark" view, etc. While both games have too much pixel hunting, if you could bear it in Testament, it's at least not as bad this time around.

I remember Testament was pretty... gorey, and that's not really the case this time around. There are corpses and you do have to get up close and personal a few times, but the tone of the whole game in C&P isn't as dark.

If you do choose to get the game, I hope you like it as much as I did! Good luck out there, fellow detectives :)

Edit: OMG!! I'm a member!

Congrats! one of us, one of us!

fart town usa

Gold Member
Hawk SE
For those interested in reading reviews, I just published my review of the game. I only had the PS4 version, so that's what my review is based on. I gave the game a 4 out of 5.

Here's the link: http://www.savingcontent.com/2014/09...hments-review/

If it involves some dark sinister plot with grisly murders, count me in. Been wanting to play an adventure game lately.

I'm sure it'll be $15 for the PS3 in no time.

edit-

Great review, I wish you would have covered the plot(s) a bit but your review has me interested for sure, sounds like a well designed game.

Aces&Eights

I like what I am hearing about this game. I am taking my WiiU and Destiny in to Gamestop tonight and picking it up along with Shadow of Modor and pre-ordering (yes, I'm that guy) Assassin's Creed Unity and Far Cry 4.

Got the plat for Testament and as it had some issues I really liked the game. Sounds like this one is even better.

One question, can you play as the dog in any of the levels?

Hawk SE

Hawk SE

If it involves some dark sinister plot with grisly murders, count me in. Been wanting to play an adventure game lately.

I'm sure it'll be $15 for the PS3 in no time.

edit-

Great review, I wish you would have covered the plot(s) a bit but your review has me interested for sure, sounds like a well designed game.

Thank you!

I had considered covering the plots of the cases, but some of them are real interesting, even from the get-go that I didn't want to spoil. So I just avoided it all together.

Tizoc

I will update the first post when i get back home glad to hear the positive reviews and impressions.

Tizoc

WTF.

I enter the game's website: http://sherlockholmes-thegame.com/shop-crimes.html and choose to download the game from PSN, and I get an error. Also, it doesn't find anything searching on PSN directly.

Thank you Sony.

Well that's prob. because the game isn't up on PSN yet. Especially US PSN. If you somehow expect US PSN, if not PSN in general, to update with the thing you want on the SAME DAY, you're being too much of a blind optimist :V
Regardless here's the PS3 ver. on US PSN
https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...ents/cid=UP4133-NPUB31460_00-SH7CRIMESHDDFULP

AkuMifune

Banned
BTW, I can confirm the Nuuvem version isn't region locked on Steam and is still $25.

Reviews pretty good so far too. Looking forward to getting some time in now.

luca_29_bg

the game is too heavy on gpu side. Damn i have an 7950 and with anti aliasing medium setting in the first open area the gpu is at 90%. It's a joke ?

Fady K

I've played every game in the series (including the hidden object adventure Hound of the Baskervilles - don't judge me!) and this is the leading contender. Full disclosure if it isn't obvious: I've got fan bias.

I would say Crimes & Punishments is cleaner, with a better story, and slightly easier gameplay than Testament, which had several more confusing goals and a lot of aimless wandering (at least in my experience). Most of the time in C&P, the next step has been fittingly logical. Still, there's quite a bit of backtracking or travelling in some cases and so the pacing swings around like it did in Testament. Most of the core mechanics will be familiar to you like the deduction board, investigative talent "glow in the dark" view, etc. While both games have too much pixel hunting, if you could bear it in Testament, it's at least not as bad this time around.

I remember Testament was pretty... gorey, and that's not really the case this time around. There are corpses and you do have to get up close and personal a few times, but the tone of the whole game in C&P isn't as dark.

If you do choose to get the game, I hope you like it as much as I did! Good luck out there, fellow detectives :)

Congrats! one of us, one of us!

Wow, detailed and awesome impressions: thank you. You got me hyped :) Once I'm done with the Last of Us Remastered I'll be going through Testament then this :D I plan on playing The Awakened as well - how is that one? Is the Hound of Baskervilles good (got the iPad version)? Last one I played was Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper and I loved it :D! I absolutely love detective adventures!

I'm still waiting for a Holmes game that's about as good as the old The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes titles. For those of you familiar with those classics, does this one finally come close?

Haunted

Not having played the immediate predecessor but some of the older Frogware Holmes games, I think this one is the closest to making the player feel like he is actually using Holmes' unique brand of sharp observational skills and deductive logic to solve cases.

Yes, it does hold the player's hand at times and "only" makes you connect the dots laid out by the game while Holmes (the character) makes the leaps necessary to appear as brilliant and ingenious as he is want to do, BUT I find it to be executed tastefully for the most part. I didn't feel insulted by the game so far, though it would probably have been best to make some of the visual hints optional.

One example from gameplay:
The game does a terrific job emulating Holmes' observational skills to deduce characteristics of and facts about people he just met - going over them en detail in a very close-up view. But the visual help the game gives you to complete this segment is too much. The cursor highlights whenever it's over a point of interest and there's blurry (but legible) text basically giving away the answers in advance - this simplifies the segment too much. Which is a shame, since the modellers have done such an excellent job with the characters in this game, I'm convinced most players would be able to find the relevant points of interest all on their own. I'd certainly prefer to play these segments without any of the hints (while I enjoy the hints given in the network of deduction segment, for example).

Then again, some of this handholding makes sense and is understandable. As a close relative used to proclaim - if we were actually capable of making the exact same deductions as Holmes at every step of the way, he would hardly be anything special.

Having played two cases, I think this is my new favourite game in the Frogwares series (replacing the Awakened).

edit: while this is far and away the best technical execution I've seen in any Frogwares game and a huge graphical improvement from the last game I played - the texture work is great, the attention to detail in some of the environments is astounding, the models look convincing, especially in close-ups - there are a couple minor issues. Stiffness in character animation, some pop-in, wonky lip sync and long load times being the chief offenders.

Still, highly recommended to fans of the mystery/crime genre and/or Doyle's works.

Psykoboy2

I've only played 2 cases so far. The girlfriend likes to play as well so we make sure we play together. I've enjoyed it much more than the previous Sherlock games. Likely because of how the cases are split up.

Did an interview with Frogwares this morning too. We'll air it on Saturday night during the live broadcast.

AkuMifune

Banned
Hey, this game is great! I'm surprised by the lukewarm reception, but I think this is Frogwares best Holmes game to date and a damn fine detective game in its own right. Looks much better, first-person is actually a viable option that doesn't cause sea-sickness, it took many visual cues from the new show that help make it feel more dynamic, and most importantly, branching cases! I was shocked to find it you can essentially select who you want to go down for it and what their fate is. Sure the first case was obvious, but I hope it gets murkier and even if not I like how you personally make the moral choice with what to do about it.

Highly recommended, deserves more attention and a shame it's about to get lost in the sea of holiday gaming.

I've only played 2 cases so far. The girlfriend likes to play as well so we make sure we play together. I've enjoyed it much more than the previous Sherlock games. Likely because of how the cases are split up.

Did an interview with Frogwares this morning too. We'll air it on Saturday night during the live broadcast.

Weird, I just made a thread about this on your other site. ;) Looking forward to the interview.

So I'm up to (first case)
arm wrestling. I won once. Then needed to do it again.
Come on. That's really not what I wanted from this game at all.

Apart from this it's been fine enough so far.

onken

Jack the Ripper one was rough as hell but still pretty fun, good B-tier stuff. Will check this out.

Sloane

Banned
Not having played the immediate predecessor but some of the older Frogware Holmes games, I think this one is the closest to making the player feel like he is actually using Holmes' unique brand of sharp observational skills and deductive logic to solve cases.
True, and really love that about it.

I've never been a great fan of the Frogware games, I liked some (The Silver Earring, Jack the Ripper) and hated others, but Crimes & Punishments is by far the best to me and one of the best detective games of all time.

It's not just a "collect all shiny items and watch people do stupid grimaces" game like L.A. Noire but it actually makes you think about what might have happened, what each piece of evidence means, what to make of each witness and so on.

Graphics aren't as great as shown in some screenshots but they're still a huge step up compared to the previous games; they finally make the locations interesting to look at and worth exploring which is pretty much all I care about in such a game. Characters look very fine, too.

Also, I really, really like the new case structure. Following one case over the course of twelve hours or so was often confusing and boring, so limiting each case to around two hours feels surprisingly refreshing and exciting. The great second case, for example, could never have carried a ten hour game but at two hours it works really nicely and feels a lot like a classical Sherlock Holmes story.

There are some drawbacks (shitty mini games, production values still a bit low at times), but overall it has turned out to be my favorite adventure game in quite some time.

Corpsepyre

Banned
PCGAF, is anyone having the game running at 30 FPS? How do I get it to run at 60?

It's the same issue that plagued AC 4. You have to press ALT+CTRL+DEL to go into the task manager, then click on the game ICON to get back into the game for the FPS to get sane.

Tizoc

Half way through the game, skipped some puzzles cuz they semmed irritating to me but overall I'm enjoying the game. I think I chose the wrong suspect in Ch. 3 but non the less I like how the end result of a case depends on your exploration and having the right clues.

It's the same issue that plagued AC 4. You have to press ALT+CTRL+DEL to go into the task manager, then click on the game ICON to get back into the game for the FPS to get sane.

You mean the icon on the taskbar?

moolamb

Possibly a silly question but how does this game compare to Ace Attorney? Will I like it if I'm a fan of that series?

eXistor

Wait a second. So you can complete a case by arresting the wrong person? Does the game tell you that?
I've only played the first 2 cases (I'll rebuy the game when it drops in price), but it seems you can. Also, if you want to, the game can spoil if you made the right choice or not. Not sure if there's any consequence to it though.

Finished. I loved it, it's astonishing to see how much the series has progressed since the first episodes; not only thanks to the unreal engine, the UI too is much more well-thought and enjoyable to use.

Wait a second. So you can complete a case by arresting the wrong person? Does the game tell you that?

I thought it was a great mechanism as it forces you to pay attention to the clues and cogitate by yourself as, most of the time, the game won't tell you who is the real culprit. Too bad you still have the option, when reviewing the conclusions of your investigation, to check if you have made the good choice and allowing you to change your choice if your wish.

Another complain I have is the last two cases, where the identity of the real criminal is a little too obvious.

Here's my impressions having played two cases:

- The game looks fine on PS4. People have a wooden janky feeling to them, facial animation is a generation behind but somewhat fine. Environments are very detailed and show care and character. This game really needs a "zoom" feature to admire all the detail put into the environment, both the 3rd and first person camera makes it feel like everything's too distant. There's some janky framerate here and there but it's an adventure game so it's not that bad.

- Puzzles are merely OK. Some are very arbitrary (the same unlocking minigame is used several time), others are borderline insulting. In the second story I discovered several solutions before being presented with the puzzle, which is inexcusable in my book.

- Characters are very well written, Holmes is very charismatic, Watson is the perfect jerky useless dumb-dumb. Voice acting is appropriate. There's alot of repeating lines because of how the game manages exploration (you exhaust dialogue tree like in an RPG).

- The "intuition" interface is great. You can choose between competing hypotesis about who the murder might be. The interface highlights contradictory conclusions. when a final conclusion to identify the culprit is reached, a "moral" choice is presented to express your judgement. It's a nice touch.

- The backtracking is quite annoying. You essentially are tasked to exhaust the exploration of an area and move to another one. Loading times are excruciating, masked by a cab drive followed by some other additional loading time. This really makes you want not to move until you finished explore a location, making thee search for clues quite a brainless affair.

I'm not all that familiar with the series, but I quite like the style of this game, even if it feels a dumbed-down classic adventure game. The weird thing is that this seems to be a case of form-over-substance as the graphics seem to be the highlight here, while gameplay and exploration are sacrificed.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm halfway through the third case.

Overall, I'm extremely impressed. Puzzles are not difficult, but some are very well done physical manipulation activites, such as using Holmes' chemistry table and piecing together broken objects.

The acting, writing and characters are all very well done. The artists absolutely nailed the late 19th century aesthetic, and the cases have been great so far, only the first being a cliche whodunit.

I'm playing on pc with a DS4 and comfy couch, so the load times aren't bad either.

wouwie

I'm not familiar with the franchise but i have very mixed feelings about it so far. I'm still in case 1 though so it's too early for impressions.

I'm not one to complain about load times in general (especially in slower paced games) but it feels like half of my time spent with the game was on loading screens. Especially once you need to start back tracking all the time, for example to fetch one item from a certain place, after which you have to speak to someone at another place,... It's ruining some of the fun for me.

misho8723

Banned

You can even complete the first case by arresting two persons if you believe they have done it together... but yeah, if you are right or wrong doesn't have that much impact on the game and other cases (but still better than nothing like in L.A. Noire) - which is a shame.. maybe at the end ? .. I'm still only at the third case and I'm enjoying my time with the game.. shame that we can't go into the streets like in SH vs. Jack the Ripper...

And that the game give you a chance to change the outcome of the just finished case isn't a bad thing in my opinion.. if you don't want to use it, then don't.. I personally can live with my choices so I have no problem with this system.. the same with the choice of seeying if you was right or wrong - it's up to you if you use it or not

I'm up to the start of case 5.

I suspected I got the first case wrong from its ending scene so I went back and changed it. Changing based on things said after the decision seemed legitimate in this case since you could change who you suspect after you make an accusation.

Also the trophy list doesn't take advantage of hidden trophies and has a number of spoilers.

ekim

Done the first two cases. This is nice title to play on a rainy sunday. The second case was well done although I find the game too easy as you can easily progress by trial and error. But I try to not make any deductions before I really thought them trough.

wouwie

Just started the 2nd case. Seems more interesting than the first.

On the plus side, visually i think it looks very nice. While the graphics might not be a technical marvel, they manage to add a lot of atmosphere and i really like the settings. There's a lot of detail crammed into each scene which can be appreciated most in first person mode. Sound effects are adequate too.

Looking forward to continue playing. An ideal game to play during autumn.

misho8723

Banned
Just started the 2nd case. Seems more interesting than the first.

On the plus side, visually i think it looks very nice. While the graphics might not be a technical marvel, they manage to add a lot of atmosphere and i really like the settings. There's a lot of detail crammed into each scene which can be appreciated most in first person mode. Sound effects are adequate too.

Looking forward to continue playing. An ideal game to play during autumn.

The faces in particular are looking really great - like really fucking great :D

I'm on the third case. The second one was terrible from an adventure standpoint imo. Really weak puzzles, and that damn unlocking minigame thrown in several times. Also I got the case right even if I found the motives and the clues that lead me to choose my version of the events oddly circumstantial. There are big leaps in sherlock's logical reasoning. But he's genius, after all :D

That said, I can't deny its charms. This third case looks interesting enough, so I'll keep playing hoping it gets better.

Tizoc

Just beat the game, overall I enjoyed it. Yeah it's very straight forward and simple but it was fun while it lasted.
May get this on PS4 when its on sale just so my brother can try it out.

For that matter, how is the PS4 performance compared to the PC?

Top Bottom