• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight - Sharpen your scythes! Update on the Specter Knight Campaign

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
So Yacht Club dropped this update yesterday it seems:

http://yachtclubgames.com/2016/06/the-return-of-specter-knight-and-a-revitalizing-announcement/

Some answers to most frequently posed questions at them:
  • We’re working on two new campaigns: Specter Knight and King Knight.
  • Campaigns will not be releasing at the same time. Specter Knight will be released first!
  • No estimated release date for any Update quite yet.
  • Similar to our last update, we’ll probably go overboard too. Hey! Maybe that’s why we’re called Yacht Club Games!
  • New campaigns will come with new Feats and Challenges for the new campaign character!
  • We’re also working on two new modes: Body Swap and Battle Mode!
  • Just like Plague of Shadows releasing with Challenge Mode, we’re planning to release one of these new modes alongside each campaign.
  • Battle Mode is being designed as a single screen, multiple controller, multiplayer mode and is currently not planned to arrive on handheld versions of the game. We’ll be sure to announce if there are any changes on that front.
  • Much like Plague of Shadows, all of the announced upcoming Shovel Knight content will be free on ALL platforms! For disc/cart and digital versions!

One of the many gifs in the update post:
specterSlash.gif

I strongly suggest everyone to read the update at their page, just don't have the time to appropriately give it the showcase it deserves but I wanted to start the discussion.
Slice me if old.

I had no idea they were making more campaigns! Plague Knight was an amazing twist on the gameplay, worked wonderfully. Honestly played better than Shovel Knight. Can't wait to see more.

Scythes! gimme that Spectre Specter goodness.

Ah so they did give him legs to run around like a more standard character, I was wondering how they were going to handle him seeing as I recall his boss sprite being a bit bigger and permanently flying.

Yazuka

If they release a new physical version with everything on disc at a later date, I'm buying again. YCG are fabric with their content. Looking forward to Shovel Knight 2 whenever it's released.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I'm weirdly excited about the story for specter knight as well, I found plague knight so charming that it actually got to me, I was touched at the end.
Also, I definitely wouldn't have an issue with Yacht club charging non backers like me for these updates. Judging by Plague Knight they're just that meaty.
I guess I'll just gift a copy or two to friends instead when the update hits.

G0523

I currently own the PlayStation versions (PS4/PS3/PSV) through cross-buy, the 3DS version, and the physical Wii U version along with the amiibo for it. This is why Yacht Club Games makes me want to give them money.

I'm sure I'll get the Xbox One and PC versions soon enough too.

Hermii

I suck but I never got past the first level with plague knight. Platforming was way to hard for me. Hope these two are easier to control.

asagami_

Banned
Man, I want pay something to them :( Yacht Club Games are so cool.

Maybe I need to buy others versiones outside my 3DS, even if I don't have (yet) the devices.

In all seriousness, the writing in Shovel knight and its campaigns is like a classic Disney movie. It's a legitimately touching story. I can't wait for King Knight and Spectre Knight.

I kind of wish they released the Battle Mode earliest as that's something that can be played for a long time. As opposed to the campaigns which I would go through once.

I really need to finish New Game+ and get to work on Plague Knight's campaign. I'm playing on the Vita and I've got Axiom Verge to play too.

Dr. Buni

I was hoping for King Knight first, after they showed a bit of his gameplay on twitter, but in the end it doesn't matter, I am sure the Specter Knight campaign will be really fun as Shovel and Plague Knight's campaigns were. In fact, I enjoyed Plague Knight's campaign more than the original, so I have high hopes for the next ones.

Hoping there are a lot of places to wall run with Specter!

Until then I am trying to get all of the achievements for the game (so far). The new game+ related achievements will be the death of me. :|
Awesome. I'm still waiting on King Knight's campaign. He seems like he will be fun to play -

afHws0J.gif
That .gif made me go from "why did they choose King instead of Treasure Knight" to "can't wait to play as King Knight!"

CHC

Seriously can't believe this is going to be FREE. Totally nuts.

I have yet to buy this, torn between PC or Vita.

Dr. Buni

Please be in the flash sale this weekend
This game totally deserves being purchased full price >_< (I have purchased it three times already lol). Still, better to buy it on a sale than to not buy it at all!
Are they really still working on this instead of Super Shovel Knight?
I see this idea being posted on Shovel Knight threads frequently, but I hope the next game isn't a "Super Shovel Knight"... visually speaking. Shovel Knight's aesthetics are a big part of the game's charm. Also not a fan of the "Super", Shovel Knight is much more closer to Mega Man than it is to Mario.

This game just keeps on giving! Think I'm gonna get the physical vita version to show my appreciation even though I've been playing it on 3ds.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Is it wrong that I'm kind of hoping they just make all the bosses playable if I keep paying for the game

You and me both. Campaigns have been so good so far I can't complain but what wouldn't I give to get Tinker Knight action at some point.

I'm amazed that they can support working on 3 new campaigns for free. I know these are Kickstarter bonuses that were promised to everyone but it's still pretty amazing.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I bought and played through the game very recently. The Plague Knight gameplay and story were so much better than the original campaign. Hoping the same will go for Specter and King. I'm just a bit bummed that Specter Knight looks and apparently plays so differently from its boss version. That's what I liked about Plague: he plays a lot like he fights as a boss.

For that reason I would've liked campaigns for Mr. Hat and Phantom Striker. They look like they could easily be made into playable characters, and they look cool to boot.

Hero

This game totally deserves being purchased full price >_< (I have purchased it three times already lol). Still, better to buy it on a sale than to not buy it at all!
I see this idea being posted on Shovel Knight threads frequently, but I hope the next game isn't a "Super Shovel Knight"... visually speaking. Shovel Knight's aesthetics are a big part of the game's charm. Also not a fan of the "Super", Shovel Knight is much more closer to Mega Man than it is to Mario.

Super would be more indicative of the title for a lot of Super NES games rather than Supe Mario. They mentioned Shovel Knight 64 jokingly as well.

gbland

Yacht Club Games... you are wonderful. Thank you for giving us so much free content years after the initial release. This is amazing.

dock

Am I the only one that bounced off Plague Knight's campaign really hard?

Shovel Knight for me went from a game that I've had nothing but a great time playing, to one where my last few hours were fiddly and annoying. I'm pretty wary of the Spectre Knight and King Knight campaigns because it's unlikely that they'll be anything but lesser versions of the game. :|

I'm super excited about what Yacht Club do next, but not this.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
There was a thread but they didn't include "Shovel Knight" in the OP. (Er, maybe in an edit.) http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1237425

Anyways it looks good. I still think the original campaign will always be the best.

/slice my bad.

Am I the only one that bounced off Plague Knight's campaign really hard?

Shovel Knight for me went from a game that I've had nothing but a great time playing, to one where my last few hours were fiddly and annoying. I'm pretty wary of the Spectre Knight and King Knight campaigns because it's unlikely that they'll be anything but lesser versions of the game. :|

I'm super excited about what Yacht Club do next, but not this.

As with everything concerning "am I the only one?" question most likely not.
That said seems like a playstyle preference.
Plague Knight was a bit annoying with the switching of abilities but I still overall went away liking it more than the Shovel Knight campaign. I just loved how Plague Knight felt to play.

Top Bottom