• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tenchu 4 Is Out In Japan

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Not bad, not bad at all. The use of waggle is overall minimal and there are some cool news moves. You can spring up and hide between the corners of walls, or roll out of a hiding spot and stealth kill from the rolling animation.

There are several different control set-ups, but all of them make use of the Wiimote and nunchuck combo. With the default set-up, you move around with the analog stick, run with the B button, and perform various actions like stealth kills, picking up bodies and objects, and blowing out candles with the A button. The Z button gives you free control of the camera, highlighting light sources where you might be seen, places you can safely hide unseen, and shows the enemy's field of view. All of the other actions, such as rolling, dashing, and jumping, are done by flicking the Wiimote (or the nunchuck) in different directions. When you go in for a stealth kill, you can also flick the Wiimote in different directions to get different kill animations. Items you find are mapped to the d-pad. This simple set-up works pretty well and the minimal use of Wiimote waggle is appreciated.

My only gripe so far is that the fighting system isn't so hot. They changed it into a turn based first-person attack and defend sword duel. You have to use the Wiimote to block (similar to one of the micro-games in Made In Wario) and sometimes the directions to turn the controller seem to appear too quickly. But despite this the game is pretty fun so far. There is more of an emphasis on stealth than before; getting seen 100% means you can either fight (if you have a weapon) or you get one chance to run away as the guard will slash your clothes up. The second time you get caught, if you are weaponless and shirtless, you are dead. The more linear level design helps the stealth mechanics though and the control, even with the waggle, is better than the previous games. It's much easier to hide somewhere and roll or dash to a closer hiding spot. The game feels different than before though, and I think some fans are going to dislike the changes. You don't have as much freedom to go everywhere now, and the grappling hook is gone (at least where I am).

Rikimaru is the only playable character in the beginning of the game; hopefully Ayame has some sort of game play differences to set her apart from Rikimaru. If she still uses daggers, I am curious as to how her sword fights play out.

Dascu

TheSwitcher told me to wait for the updated US version. I trust in TheSwitcher who single-handedly managed to make the NMH t-shirt collectathon a lot better.

Lyte Edge

Dascu said:
TheSwitcher told me to wait for the updated US version. I trust in TheSwitcher who single-handedly managed to make the NMH t-shirt collectathon a lot better.

I asked this before and never got an answer: What is going to be updated in the U.S. version?

Lyte Edge said:
Sigh ... So I guess I'll just keep playing Stealth Assassins. If there's anything worse than no sequels to an awesome game, it's ****-tons of sequels that persistently miss the point.

Bah.

Self-edit for swearing loud and long. Oh damn, and thanks for the imps, they're appreciated.

Lyte Edge

It could open up more. I only finished the first level so far. It's a different take on Tenchu from the original dev team, give it a chance before you write it off.

Yeah, I've been following this through GAF threads, and I have been fairly excited about it. Handing it back to Acquire is a dream come true, and the inclusion of kitty shaking indicated a very inventive title.

Which I'm sure it is, and I haven't written it off. I'm just grumpy because this reinvention of the series is never going to give me the freeform ninja-themed chess game I loved from back in the 90's.

It's a sad thing about advancing technology that it sometimes gets applied in such a way that it delivers less than what you had before. The simple but wide-open structures found in the original Tenchu offered countless ways to approach your objective, whereas all I've found in the sequels I've played has been painstakingly rendered, utterly uninviting Tomb Raider levels.

Such setups may have been deliberately placed 'rewards', but I remember being swamped with opportunities to line up a double-backflip from the top of a castle and slice some motherf&ckers head clean off on the way down. Or pick a route from one end of a compund to the other, avoiding a particular tower as irrelevant to my mission to save the Princess. Or decide to take my time killing every goddam perp patrolling the town without any one of them having the slightest clue something's up.

I'm sure it's unavoidable that such simple geometrically homogenous levels as we were treated to in the original Tenchu could never be countenanced again. It's just sad that technology seemingly has a long way to go before it's capable of offering a comparable experience whilst living up to the overbearing aesthetic demands of the day.

Lyte Edge said:
Not bad, not bad at all. The use of waggle is overall minimal and there are some cool news moves. You can spring up and hide between the corners of walls, or roll out of a hiding spot and stealth kill from the rolling animation.

There are several different control set-ups, but all of them make use of the Wiimote and nunchuck combo. With the default set-up, you move around with the analog stick, run with the B button, and perform various actions like stealth kills, picking up bodies and objects, and blowing out candles with the A button. The Z button gives you free control of the camera, highlighting light sources where you might be seen, places you can safely hide unseen, and shows the enemy's field of view. All of the other actions, such as rolling, dashing, and jumping, are done by flicking the Wiimote (or the nunchuck) in different directions. When you go in for a stealth kill, you can also flick the Wiimote in different directions to get different kill animations. Items you find are mapped to the d-pad. This simple set-up works pretty well and the minimal use of Wiimote waggle is appreciated.

My only gripe so far is that the fighting system isn't so hot. They changed it into a turn based first-person attack and defend sword duel. You have to use the Wiimote to block (similar to one of the micro-games in Made In Wario) and sometimes the directions to turn the controller seem to appear too quickly. But despite this the game is pretty fun so far. There is more of an emphasis on stealth than before; getting seen 100% means you can either fight (if you have a weapon) or you get one chance to run away as the guard will slash your clothes up. The second time you get caught, if you are weaponless and shirtless, you are dead. The more linear level design helps the stealth mechanics though and the control, even with the waggle, is better than the previous games. It's much easier to hide somewhere and roll or dash to a closer hiding spot. The game feels different than before though, and I think some fans are going to dislike the changes. You don't have as much freedom to go everywhere now, and the grappling hook is gone (at least where I am).

Rikimaru is the only playable character in the beginning of the game; hopefully Ayame has some sort of game play differences to set her apart from Rikimaru. If she still uses daggers, I am curious as to how her sword fights play out.

Lyte Edge said:
I asked this before and never got an answer: What is going to be updated in the U.S. version?

Sorry, I couldn't find that thread again to answer questions.

Sword fights are still in, but certain motions will be improved (the diagonal direction firstly) the specific attack points that are high-lighted in blue will also be less finicky to hit. The motions will also be present on the screen for a bit longer on the easier difficulty settings.

Ayame is a bit different, and has completly different Hissatsus, she's also faster in a lot of areas, the trade-off for her however, is that she's much slower when she has to carry bodies/objects.

The game has a shit ton of unlockables, some really awesome ones at that.

The-Switcher said:

Sword fights are still in, but certain motions will be improved (the diagonal direction firstly) the specific attack points that are high-lighted in blue will also be less finicky to hit. The motions will also be present on the screen for a bit longer on the easier difficulty settings.

Ayame is a bit different, and has completly different Hissatsus, she's also faster in a lot of areas, the trade-off for her however, is that she's much slower when she has to carry bodies/objects.

Yeh but, does she have the same shirt-losing mechanic as Rikimaru? Important question.

Lyte Edge

The-Switcher said:

NICE. Not exactly the kind of improvements that would make me buy it twice, but still good.

Looking forward to playing more, can't wait! :D First Wii game in a LOOOOOOOOOONG time I am going to be spending this much time playing.

I'm quite intrigued on the PSP version. I wonder how the transition will be, as it better be a damn sight better than that elbow-length draw distance that ruined the first PSP Tenchu.

Damn, a pun. And totally unintended.

Lyte Edge

Pylon_Trooper said:
I'm quite intrigued on the PSP version. I wonder how the transition will be, as it better be a damn sight better than that elbow-length draw distance that ruined the first PSP Tenchu.

Is there really a PSP version coming though? Haven't seen a thing on it.

I had no problems with the PSP Tenchu. I loved it, in fact. TONS of playable characters and a kick-ass level editor made it awesome.

But if you want a taste of Acquire on PSP, you need to try Shinobido Homura. None of these games play like Tenchu 4 does though.

24pmgrr.jpg

Bigger version of the box.

Emotions

Lyte Edge said:
Is there really a PSP version coming though? Haven't seen a thing on it.

I had no problems with the PSP Tenchu. I loved it, in fact. TONS of playable characters and a kick-ass level editor made it awesome.

But if you want a taste of Acquire on PSP, you need to try Shinobido Homura. None of these games play like Tenchu 4 does though.

I think it was rumored to be confirmed at TGS this year but apparently it was not.

Lyte Edge

Haha awesome, I threw a shuriken at a guy through a hole between some rubble, it hit him, and he fell backwards into the torch behind him and keeled over! Just got a fishing rod that lets you pick up objects from far away, too. I ignored the hint in this area telling you to do this and took out all the guards to get the key instead; the key unlocks a door right in the beginning, so there ARE multiple ways to go about areas. This game is getting better and better...

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Sato Koiji said:
I need a PS3 version. Ill never get a Wii...even when I love Tenchu.

So, you'll never buy a system that has the games you want on it?

Good luck with that.

farnham

Banned
Sato Koiji said:
Whos talking about "games". As far as I can tell Tenchu is ONE game.
well there will be Tenchu 4 , 5 ,6 on the Wii

exclusive for now...

maybe way of the samurai 3 for PS3 is better for you btw

its by acquire too

Pylon_Trooper said:

Tenchu for the PSP wasn't developed by Acquire. However, Acquire did make Shinobido for the PSP. It's in line with the first two Tenchu games, with some nice improvements and most of their quirks. I'm very happy with it.

Sato Koiji said:
I need a PS3 version. Ill never get a Wii...even when I love Tenchu.

Wait for Shinobido on PS3. Maybe Tenchu 4 is an exception, but Shinobido is pretty much awesome Tenchu action from Acquire under a different name. If WotS3 does well on
PS3, then they might go forward with Shinobido for PS3.

Lyte Edge

Beat level 2. The final room is an two-floored area FILLED with guards and one samurai in the middle. There are only a few places to hide on the wall where you start and in the middle of the room so it was tricky, but intense...managed to slowly take out every single guard and then caught the samurai when he was drinking. This game is officially awesome, automatically amazing, etc. etc. The situations you are thrust into and then have to figure out, like a stealth-puzzle game, are just great and refreshing since you get a couple of chances if you mess up, and you continue in the same area, not from the beginning of the level. Most fun I've had with my Wii (that will never sound right) this entire year. Only Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom is going to beat this in my book.

I hope Acquire does this good a job with Way Of The Samurai 3.

I've never played a Tenchu game, however I have a strong interest in this because the videos I've seen remind me of Splinter Cell. I love Splinter Cell. Will I like this?

Jaruru

farnham said:
well there will be Tenchu 4 , 5 ,6 on the Wii
exclusive for now...

maybe way of the samurai 3 for PS3 is better for you btw
its by acquire too

yes, the Tenshu trilogy had been announced. exclusive for the Wii. they're games.

Jaded Alyx said:
I've never played a Tenchu game, however I have a strong interest in this because the videos I've seen remind me of Splinter Cell. I love Splinter Cell. Will I like this?

Yeah, it's pretty similar to Splinter Cell, just without the tons of dialog, and guns.

Acquire is the secret best developer ever. Not a single game of their has been bad and only one (Samurai Western) has fallen below being called great.

The motion controls feel imprecise, but the game is still a lot of fun. Even if you die, it's not too frustrating since the checkpoints are frequent.

AndriaSang said:
The motion controls feel imprecise, but the game is still a lot of fun. Even if you die, it's not too frustrating since the checkpoints are frequent.

Precise for which part? The Sword Fights, or something else?

Top Bottom