• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tenchu 4 Is Out In Japan

Just another question...on Shinobido PSP...what did it do to address some of the issues of Tenchu PSP? I'd be keen to check it out. And I did try to love Tenchu, too. It was just the draw distance, really. Apart from that, it was fully featured.

Make your case, fellows.

Hero

Turn based combat? Seems...weird. I have very fond memories of the original Tenchu. This looks promising though.

Will eagerly anticipate the updated US one.

There's going to be blood for the US release, right?

Hero said:
Turn based combat? Seems...weird. I have very fond memories of the original Tenchu. This looks promising though.

Will eagerly anticipate the updated US one.

There's going to be blood for the US release, right?

If anything, it would be reversed.

Edit: From IGN:

October 23, 2008 - Tenchu is certainly one of the more controversial of the recent PlayStation to Wii defections that have come about in light of the Wii's tremendous success in its home territory. From Software has committed not just one Tenchu game to the Wii, but a full trilogy, meaning unless those rumors of an HD Wii come true, you'd better get used to your stealth in low resolutions.

EDarkness

Shanks said:
We're gonna get first day numbers tomorrow about how this bombed right?

Probably. I don't see the market on the Wii for this kind of game. Same with Sky Crawlers, even though I purchased that game. Heh, heh.

I was going to pick it up yesterday, but I figured I'd wait for the U.S. release. I think it'll do much better in the U.S. and Europe.

How did Acquire fuck this one up?

What do you mean? The reports from people who've played it say it's pretty good. Even the impressions in this thread are good.

The-Switcher said:
24pmgrr.jpg

Bigger version of the box.

Please god, don't let Ubisoft fuck up the box. >.<

Hero said:
What would be reversed? The blood? I thought the Japanese version didn't have blood?

The blood goes into the body if you hit the opponent again? *shot*

pitt_norton

Late to the thread... but how the fuck does playing one level justify the initial freak out that Tenchu 4 doesn't have multiple paths?

Some people need a slap across the head before sprouting unsubstantial bullshit. There's too many sheep to derail a thread.

EDIT: Ahhhh so the game has been played alittle more. My point still remains...

Raistlin

Linkzg said:
Wait for Shinobido on PS3. Maybe Tenchu 4 is an exception, but Shinobido is pretty much awesome Tenchu action from Acquire under a different name. If WotS3 does well on
PS3, then they might go forward with Shinobido for PS3.

What is this game you speak of?

I feel something in my pants.

Onix said:
What is this game you speak of?

I feel something in my pants.

Shinobido is a ninja game similar to Tenchu (but faster paced) for the PS2 and a mission pack type game for hte PSP from Acquire. You can actually get them in English from Europe, but you still need a way to play imports. I'm simply speculating that there will be a PS3 version depending on WotS3 success.

Hero said:
What would be reversed? The blood? I thought the Japanese version didn't have blood?

Well, you said "Will the US version have blood?"

I took this to mean you thought for some reason, the blood will get cut out of the US release for some reason, even though lately games have been censored far more in Japan than other countries.

Yeah, the Japanese version has plenty of blood, it's no "No More Heroes" but the red stuff is there.

Pylon_Trooper said:
Just another question...on Shinobido PSP...what did it do to address some of the issues of Tenchu PSP? I'd be keen to check it out. And I did try to love Tenchu, too. It was just the draw distance, really. Apart from that, it was fully featured.

Make your case, fellows.

I haven't played any of the K2 Tenchu games since Wrath of Heaven, so I have no idea what the PSP Tenchu game is like. Acquire developed Shinobido, so they aren't really working on the problems of the current Tenchu games.

I can say that if you liked the original Tenchu, flaws and all, Shinobido for the PSP is super fantastic.

• The ninjas have a lot more abilities, like wall running and jumping, sprinting, more stealth kill situations, and a greatly expanded swordplay move set. You play as a much more dangerous character.
  • There's 30 some characters to unlock, and most have their own move sets.
  • Greater variety of enemies, with somewhat better AI.
  • Greater variety of useful items.
  • Greater variety of missions.
That said, it still retains many of the quirks of the original games—including sometimes wonky camera angles and collision detection, etc.

As far as draw distance, you can check that out yourself.

Linkzg said:
Shinobido is a ninja game similar to Tenchu (but faster paced) for the PS2 and a mission pack type game for hte PSP from Acquire. You can actually get them in English from Europe, but you still need a way to play imports. I'm simply speculating that there will be a PS3 version depending on WotS3 success.

PSP games are region-free, so for it importing is no problem. The PSP game is primarily a large mission pack, but has story missions as well. Also, if you have both versions, you can create levels on the PS2 game and play them on your PSP.

From what I understand this trilogy of Tenchu games will all be direct sequels, following the same storyline. Acquire is going for broke!

Shinobido Takumi(the expansion disc for PS2) is my most-played PS2 import.
Beating out EDF2, Sengoku Basara 2, and ESP Galuda.

Acquire is the shit.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Finished level 5, which unlocks Ayame for play in levels 6-10. The game's challenge REALLY ramped up during the fifth stage, too. Unfortunately some of it was due to frustrations with the control; there was an area where you simply need to do some running jumps, and it took an alarming number of retries to clear the stage, as I would just step off the cliff or dash forward instead of jumping. Switching to control type C helped IMMENSELY; it maps jump to the C button on the nunchuck, but it was still far more difficult than it should have been. However, this was only one path to the area goal, so in the end I simply went down another route to clear it.

Sword fighting has gotten easier, mainly due to the boss fight in level three. After that I was even able to take on three enemies in a row with no problems, although you really do have to get the Wiimote turned PERFECTLY or it will not register as a parry, but a block that takes damage off your sword's break meter. (If it does break, you lose.)

The enemies have gotten more difficult. In the beginning of the game, a typical guard isn't going to look for you for very long if you get spotted and run or make a noise. They are fairly dumb and won't check the ceilings either. But the later enemies will do all of this. There are even armored samurai who can hear every sound you make, see you peaking around corners, or catch you hugging a wall in a shadowed area. You have to remain perfectly still in the right spot and jump out to kill them a split second before they find you, or blind them with a smoke bomb if you happen to have one. Other enemies encountered include sentries in watchtowers (with guns) and other ninjas, who will hide in bushes or up in trees and cannot be seen normally (only when you use ninja vision).

Level 5 seems to be a repeat of an earlier stage, just backwards. Hopefully not all of her stages are going to be like this, that would be a big disappointment. But I am still enjoying the game quite a bit and that would not be enough to deter me from finishing it. I cannot think of any other stealth games where it has felt this satisfying to clear an area without being seen or take everyone out without being noticed.

Lyte Edge

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Shinobido Takumi(the expansion disc for PS2) is my most-played PS2 import.
Beating out EDF2, Sengoku Basara 2, and ESP Galuda.

Acquire is the shit.

I am loving this so much I think I am going to go out and buy Shinobido and Takumi (and maybe Kamiwaza too) tomorrow if I can get them cheap enough.

Also BEHOLD--

The Wii Triology Of Ninja/Samurai AWESOMENESS:

seng_basara_2_heroes_wii.jpg
ss_rokuban_wii.jpg
tenchu_4wii.jpg

RobertM

EDarkness said:
What do you mean? The reports from people who've played it say it's pretty good. Even the impressions in this thread are good.
No hook, no real combat, breakable weapons, no exploration, starting at the beginning of the stage if detected with terrible cut scene. So far to me this isn't even Tenchu but an abomination of the said game.

Lyte Edge said:
I am loving this so much I think I am going to go out and buy Shinobido and Takumi (and maybe Kamiwaza too) tomorrow if I can get them cheap enough.

If you are becoming one of the (only) Acquire elite, you should also pick up Yuusha no Kuse ni Namaikida for the PSP. The sequel just came out and both the original and sequel have demos up; you can even buy the full second game on PSN. I haven't played the sequel yet despite getting my import copy (too many things to play), but the first game was amazing.

RobertM said:
No hook, no real combat, breakable weapons, no exploration, starting at the beginning of the stage if detected with terrible cut scene. So far to me this isn't even Tenchu but an abomination of the said game.

You can sneak up behind a guy, draw your sword and kill him in one swipe as well, you don't need to be in the FPS sword combat all the time if you choose.

There's a shit ton of exploration everywhere, many stages have secret rooms filled with rare weapons and map pieces you'll need to collect to unlock the unbreakable weapons. Some secret rooms can only be found by using weapons/items you find in later stages, so if you want the really rare goodies, you have to revisit certain stages. Sometimes you'll have to control the Shinobi cat to fit into tiny obscure holes in walls to find stuff in. There's multiple routes to take to complete most of the levels.

Terrible cutscene? You mean the 4 second animation of a dude sheathing his sword after you've been detected? Starting over the beginning of the stage? Yeah, it starts you over at the SECTION of the stage, and all the items you've collected and guys you've killed remain intact, you just gotta run back to the area you were detected, which takes all of 1 minute.

But hey, even though Acquire created the fucking series, doesn't mean they know how to make a real tenchu game. They should obviously hire you, since you're an expert. If you want an "abomination" try playing Tenchu Z.

The-Switcher said:
You can sneak up behind a guy, draw your sword and kill him in one swipe as well, you don't need to be in the FPS sword combat all the time if you choose.

There's a shit ton of exploration everywhere, many stages have secret rooms filled with rare weapons and map pieces you'll need to collect to unlock the unbreakable weapons. Some secret rooms can only be found by using weapons/items you find in later stages, so if you want the really rare goodies, you have to revisit certain stages. Sometimes you'll have to control the Shinobi cat to fit into tiny obscure holes in walls to find stuff in. There's multiple routes to take to complete most of the levels.

Terrible cutscene? You mean the 4 second animation of a dude sheathing his sword after you've been detected? Starting over the beginning of the stage? Yeah, it starts you over at the SECTION of the stage, and all the items you've collected and guys you've killed remain intact, you just gotta run back to the area you were detected, which takes all of 1 minute.

But hey, even though Acquire created the fucking series, doesn't mean they know how to make a real tenchu game. They should obviously hire you, since you're an expert. If you want an "abomination" try playing Tenchu Z.

combo-breaker.jpg

Lyte Edge

RobertM said:

There is no hook because the game design has changed. It isn't needed anymore. There ARE areas you can get to that are up high, either by simply jumping or CLIMBING with a new climbing tool that you can find in some areas. Want to go up in the rafters when indoor areas? You just JUMP up there. The game tells you when you can. This works a hell of a lot better than having to select the grappling hook first, go into a first-person view, aim until the cursor turns red, and fire. You just hit the A button and you jump up. So you can focus on you know, STEALTH and QUICKLY get the hell out of the way to avoid an incoming enemy.

Exploration IS there. The levels may have been broken up into smaller areas, but within these areas there are still multiple ways to finish them and hidden items/places to find.

You don't start at the beginning of the stage when you get detected, by the way. You start at the beginning of the *AREA* you are in. All of the enemies you have killed remain dead, unless you die. If you are without certain items, you will die after being discovered the second time. However if you have a sword, you can fight against enemies. If you have smoke bombs, you can throw these down and escape back to the beginning of the area without the penalty of getting your shirt ripped, so in essence smoke bombs are like extra turns.

Please at least TRY this game before you write it off. Like I said earlier, I think the game design change is going to turn off some long-time fans. But it has been a really, really enjoyable game for me thus far and I have been playing Tenchu since the original came out in Japan.

Linkzg said:
If you are becoming one of the (only) Acquire elite, you should also pick up Yuusha no Kuse ni Namaikida for the PSP. The sequel just came out and both the original and sequel have demos up; you can even buy the full second game on PSN. I haven't played the sequel yet despite getting my import copy (too many things to play), but the first game was amazing.

I am just on a ninja/stealth kick right now, that's all.

The-Switcher said:

Right. And really, does anyone actually MISS the combat in Tenchu? That has always been the weakest part of the game. This new FPS style is more challenging and works better for the most part. Really the point of the game design is that if you are doing it right, you won't have to fight anyway.

LISTEN TO THIS MAN, HE KNOWS WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT.

So let's get this straight. The haters are people who haven't even played this yet. The two of us in this thread that have both enjoy it.

Lyte Edge said:
There is no hook because the game design has changed. It isn't needed anymore. There ARE areas you can get to that are up high, either by simply jumping or CLIMBING with a new climbing tool that you can find in some areas. Want to go up in the rafters when indoor areas? You just JUMP up there. The game tells you when you can. This works a hell of a lot better than having to select the grappling hook first, go into a first-person view, aim until the cursor turns red, and fire. You just hit the A button and you jump up. So you can focus on you know, STEALTH and QUICKLY get the hell out of the way to avoid an incoming enemy.

Exploration IS there. The levels may have been broken up into smaller areas, but within these areas there are still multiple ways to finish them and hidden items/places to find.

You don't start at the beginning of the stage when you get detected, by the way. You start at the beginning of the *AREA* you are in. All of the enemies you have killed remain dead, unless you die. If you are without certain items, you will die after being discovered the second time. However if you have a sword, you can fight against enemies. If you have smoke bombs, you can throw these down and escape back to the beginning of the area without the penalty of getting your shirt ripped, so in essence smoke bombs are like extra turns.

Please at least TRY this game before you write it off. Like I said earlier, I think the game design change is going to turn off some long-time fans. But it has been a really, really enjoyable game for me thus far and I have been playing Tenchu since the original came out in Japan.

I am just on a ninja/stealth kick right now, that's all.

Right. And really, does anyone actually MISS the combat in Tenchu? That has always been the weakest part of the game. This new FPS style is more challenging and works better for the most part. Really the point of the game design is that if you are doing it right, you won't have to fight anyway.

LISTEN TO THIS MAN, HE KNOWS WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT.

So let's get this straight. The haters are people who haven't even played this yet. The two of us in this thread that have both enjoy it.

Some of these problems have been fixed in the Shinobido series, though. For instance the grappling hook doesn't need to be aimed manually everytime. As long as you're facing the general direction of what you want to climb you can throw it and it automagically aims. The grappling hook opened up a wealth of possibility of rapid motion even in the original games.

And the combat in Shinobido is greatly improved. It provides you with a camera lock. And you can launch and juggle enemies, knock them down, and even perform a one-hit kill on a prone enemy. It's even much more possible to deal with several enemies at once.

Not saying this very different iteration of Tenchu isn't good. It's just disappointing to see Acquire back at the helm for a game that will be released in NA and it's not a traditional Tenchu/Shinobido.

Lyte Edge

smallmouth said:
Some of these problems have been fixed in the Shinobido series, though. For instance the grappling hook doesn't need to be aimed manually everytime. As long as you're facing the general direction of what you want to climb you can throw it and it automagically aims. The grappling hook opened up a wealth of possibility of rapid motion even in the original games.

And the combat in Shinobido is greatly improved. It provides you with a camera lock. And you can launch and juggle enemies, knock them down, and even perform a one-hit kill on a prone enemy. It's even much more possible to deal with several enemies at once.

Not saying this very different iteration of Tenchu isn't good. It's just disappointing to see Acquire back at the helm for a game that will be released in NA and it's not a traditional Tenchu/Shinobido.

I have played Shinobido before (briefly) and I have the PSP Shinobi Homura. It's good but I definitely like what they have done with Tenchu 4 more than I did with what they did in Shinobido. I was pretty turned off to the two console games, frankly, so I am looking to go back and try them out again now.

That said, they definitely took a number of things from Shinobido and integrated them into Tenchu 4. Couldn't you take out some lights and candles in Shinobido on PS2? That is a big focus of Tenchu 4.

I think the best way to describe the design change from the previous games is that compared to the generally large, open areas before, they have opted to break the stages down into smaller areas and worked on improving the A.I. and making the level design within those areas better. I really like having enemy ninjas hiding in the shadows just like you do and certain guards who react to your footsteps or notice your arm hanging out from around a corner. It's less brain-dead than previous games and that also helps a lot.

The previous games had more of a focus on finding where you needed to go to reach a level goal. Tenchu 4 is more about HOW you are going to get there. You might see the goal right in front of you, but there's a bunch of enemies in the way, so the emphasis is more on how you are going to take these guys out and use of the environment. Not just in peaking hiding around a corner or on a rooftop, but instead taking out light sources and hiding the shadows to get things done. Again it feels almost like "stealth-puzzle" versus the previous games' "stealth-action," but there is certainly plenty of action too.

Lyte Edge said:

Charging a punch all the way using Tesshu and unleashing it on a boss provides minor entertainment once in a while. Sure, Tenchu combat kinda sucked, but it had its moments.

That said, I'm totally looking forward to this game.

Lyte Edge said:
I have played Shinobido before (briefly) and I have the PSP Shinobi Homura. It's good but I definitely like what they have done with Tenchu 4 more than I did with what they did in Shinobido. I was pretty turned off to the two console games, frankly, so I am looking to go back and try them out again now.

That said, they definitely took a number of things from Shinobido and integrated them into Tenchu 4. Couldn't you take out some lights and candles in Shinobido on PS2? That is a big focus of Tenchu 4.

I haven't played the PS2 Shinobido games, unfortunately. It's not something I've found you can do in the PSP version. I'm definitely glad you like the changes in Tenchu 4 and am encouraged to hear positive impressions of the game overall.

Lyte Edge

Linkzg said:
I am curious to see if they will make a Shinobido for the PS3/360 at one point along with this new Tenchu style for the Wii.

It would be awesome having a new Shinobido that keeps the previous games' game play style to go right alongside what they have done in Tenchu 4. But having said this, after a number of Tenchu titles and three Shinobido titles, it is nice to see the game play changed up a bit.

smallmouth said:
I haven't played the PS2 Shinobido games, unfortunately. It's not something I've found you can do in the PSP version. I'm definitely glad you like the changes in Tenchu 4 and am encouraged to hear positive impressions of the game overall.

Yeah, the PSP version is watered down in some of the things you can do and more linear compared to the PS2 version. I liked that it was more linear though; worked better IMO. Shinobido Homura also has small stage sizes; if you take a few of them and string them all together in succession, that's kind of like an entire level in Tenchu 4.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
EDarkness said:
Probably. I don't see the market on the Wii for this kind of game. Same with Sky Crawlers, even though I purchased that game. Heh, heh.

Don't wanna derail here, so if you prefer it just feel free to pm me or to use one of those SkyCrawlers thread around on GAF, can you please (PLEASE) give us (me?) some impressions?
I'm so damn hyped for that game.

Lyte Edge

Went back and played a bit of Shinobido Homura before bed last night. It was difficult to get back into. The camera in particular isn't all that great and it felt almost too fast. I need to try the console version again.

It's definitely very different compared to Tenchu 4. They really did change A LOT.

I'll just go on record to say that I did actually kinda dig the combat in Tenchu 1 ... It was clunky but it worked in all the basics, and this opened up the way to become skilful at overcoming the clunkiness. There was a lot more depth there than my friend and I initially realised, which we discovered when he flicked through the damn manual while I was playing a level ...

I like control schemes like this in games a lot - where the surrounding game is good enough to encourage expertise, of course. I'm playing MGS: Sons of Liberty for this first time, never having really cottoned onto the MGS series, and holy hell is it a frustrating game to learn to play. The focus on cinematography really strips away a lot of the control I'm used to as a player of videogames, regarding what I can see and when I can see it, and this results in the requirement to master a unique (and kinda clunky) system of character controls. Good game though, so far.

I'm also digging what we're hearing in this thread about Tenchu 4. I guess I don't mind the basics of the game being re-tooled, if as a result the focus returns to the idea of the levels as a puzzle, to be solved by slitting everybodys throat while other peoples backs are turned. I didn't think the first Tenchu game was really action oriented at all; it's just the sequels that seemed to lose their way, and view ninjas as a badge of cool to be affixed to a generic action/exploration game, rather than a theme deserving careful exposure through balanced and rewarding stealth mechanics.

The cool factor definitely resides in that, stupid punks. I also just wanted to say that having badass samurai and badass ninjas as opponents in the game, and having them not be based on the same "Who's there? ..... ..... Fuck it." script as all the rest of the basic grunts, is a fantastic-sounding element, and I love hearing about the ways sight and sound have been re-deployed in this new game.

I will definitely keep an eye out for this one.

Dash Kappei

I just hope the controls are not as clucnky as a Splinter Cell game tho, that's a deal breaker for me.
Btw, I'm so pumped for this game, I just wish we'd hear some official dates for EUas well... do we have a publisher yet? After all there are some Shinobido games down here that are not even out in the US.

Hero of Legend said:
Please god, don't let Ubisoft fuck up the box. >.<

I don't like it. It's too sketch-like and brush stroke-ish. It won't stick out on store shelves, being mostly monotone in color. Needs some brighter colors, maybe instead of hand-drawn art they could do 3D renders like Rare used in for Killer Instinct, and then they should throw some more Z's and X's into the logo, to make it more Amurrican, you know.

texmex113

Banned
The original Tenchu ruled. Impossible to finish without cheats but it was amazing. The sorry path this franchise has taken is inexplicable.. but i will cling to hope that there is now hope for it to return to glory.

yankee666

Gold Member
I want this game so bad!!!, but $80+ (inc. shipping) for a game is a lot. The same goes for Sky crawlers. Why this 3rd party games on the Wii cost that much on jap (7100Y)? maybe thats the reason the dont sell much, only 6k for Sky Crawlers is a joke.

Dash Kappei

yankee666 said:
I want this game so bad!!!, but $80+ (inc. shipping) for a game is a lot. The same goes for Sky crawlers. Why this 3rd party games on the Wii cost that much on jap (7100Y)? maybe thats the reason the dont sell much, only 6k for Sky Crawlers is a joke.

Well, gladly we already know Tenchu's gonna be localized, fingers crossed for Sky Crawlers (which btw kicks some serious ass).

Argh, so Tenchu only entered the Japanese charts at number 12? Looks like we're gonna have to do a "No More Heroes" to this title as well.

After the last few games I swore that I would never buy another Tenchu. While the first person sword combat looks iffy everything else I've seen looks absolutely bad ass. I'll buy this day one*.

Provided I'm not a total broke ass next semester.

I've played up to chapter 10 so far and overall it's a bit of a disappointment. The characters move like in RE4 - all digital with a run button which has always felt clunky to me. There are a lot of 'snap to' actions which don't flow together that well as you need to tap buttons to change rigidly between each state of action eg. free moving -> backed up against wall -> peering around corner (MGS style).

The turn based battles are unfair if you don't have super speedy reflexes to tilt the Wiimote quickly when defending and to swipe the Wiimote to attack. I guess one way to describe defending is 1:1 motion along a 2D plane as you point the Wiimote up and angle left/right to move your weapon around. You can have less than a second to react and if you fumble the angle completely you can die in one hit. Attacking involves swiping the Wiimote up, down, left, right or diagonally. A blue arrow shows you which way to swipe for chaining clean hits for more damage. This suffers from the usual Wiimote problems where you think you hit the mark correctly but it thinks otherwise. I died so many times figuring it all out... boss battles
like with tatooed booby lady
were a total bee-yotch.

The game uses a lot of rendered video made with in game assets for jaggie free cutscenes. There are things like twitchy bodies and weird bugs here and there but I'm gonna cut the rambling now. It is kinda fun though like someone else pointed out with the whole stealth puzzle feel to it. Should be interesting to see what fixes Ubisoft make for the US release.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Tenchu 1 was a great game back in the days.

Then I had a lot of fun with Tenchu 2's level editor.

Haven't played the series since.

Ether_Snake said:
Tenchu 1 was a great game back in the days.

Then I had a lot of fun with Tenchu 2's level editor.

Haven't played the series since.

Wrath of Heaven is a great game. At least give that a try.

Top Bottom