• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall 1 MP is a masterpiece. Titanfall 2 MP... not so much.

Poster#1

TF1 MP is one of the best this generation. It is incredible. I had really high hopes for Titanfall 2 but Respawn fucked it up big time. I was really disappointed with the technical test but I had some hope they will fix it some of the issues.Respawn did fix some of them (Like Titan timer) but it appears that most of the issues are fundamental game design choices. for example:

Maps: They are really bad compared to TF1 and it doesn't compliment Pilots movements like the first one.
Boosts(Scorestreak): Especially Sonar Balde. you get tagged every fucking minute and you're exposed to everyone on the map. Turrets are indestructible with pilots weapons.
Progression system: I don't why they changed it from the conventional XP system. It's confusing and you don't know when you're going to level up.
Titans: No shield regen. You're pretty much dead if you face two titans. Unlike in TF1.
Rodeo: They should have gave us the choice to steal the battery or shoot the titans.

There are probably a few more things that escapes my mind right now, but i'm really disappointed with the MP. Kind of felt like going from Halo 3 to Halo 4. Odd choices all around.

Schlorgan

"It's bad because these things are different!"

200w.gif

I loved Titanfall (it's the only multiplayer shooter I've ever cared about enough to "Prestige"), but I don't know that I would call it a "masterpiece."

While this may be true, the population of the MP on TF1 dropped like a stone, it would have been mental for them to just release more of the exact same thing and expect different results.

Anyone who was still enjoying TF1 probably won't be enjoying the changes they have made but they had to try something as the game's player retention was beyond terrible.

Broritos

I prefer 2 over 1. The variety in 2 is so much better and they really let you be more creative with how you want to play. Titanfall 1 was great but it was pretty samey all around. I thought the changes they made in 2 wouldn't work out but to my surprise, they do.

FeD.nL

Honestly it's different and I like it a lot. The maps promote a greater weapon diversity, nearly every weapon is viable with a good build. And I'm not sure what turrets you're talking about because the boost ones can be shut down quite fast with primaries.

Also what's so hard to understand about the xp system? You gain merits for finishing a map, completing mode objectives which are displayed when you press start and when you level up a gun/titan etc.

I'm honestly feeling that once some balance changes are made, it'll end up being more enjoyable to me than the first game.

For now, it's enjoyable but the balance feels off.

Jarmel

Banned
They need to balance the fuck out of a lot of things. Map Hack needs to go. The Titans need to be reworked as it's all just Legions/Tonnes now.

Just from some cursory footage watching, the maps seem a hell of a lot less vertical and less dense than the maps of the first. That ends up deemphasizing the coolest elements of the Titanfall's multi (the pilot parkour)

The maps are a lot more hallway focused and it slows the game down a lot. It makes it a lot more similar to other shooters and I can see how that helps the learner curve, but ultimately it dulls the more unique elements of the on foot gameplay.

Schlorgan

They need to balance the fuck out of a lot of things. Map Hack needs to go. The Titans need to be reworked as it's all just Legions/Tonnes now.

Speak for yourself. I exclusively use Ion. Nothing else feels right to me. :3

They could maybe tone Legion down a bit though.

TF2>TF1 easily.

single player
better variety
more intense titan warfare
more customization and unlocks

maps can use some work

I didn't ask for this
9 maps at launch compared to TF1's 15
"Intense" = easier to destroy
Cosmetics and banners/patches for that unnecessary grind

black070

I didn't ask for this
9 maps at launch compared to TF1's 15
"Intense" = easier to destroy
Cosmetics and banners/patches for that unnecessary grind

Online population takes a nosedive after a few short weeks and never picks up.. why wouldn't they make changes ?

I love that Titans are weaker. I actually care about my Titan instead of mindlessly throwing it out there. I main Ronin who has the weakest health and I'm able to go on Titans kill streaks with it on a daily basis. I feel way better in Titans in this game than the first.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Online population takes a nosedive after a few short weeks and never picks up.. why wouldn't they make changes ?
Changes that lead to a PD backlash, Titanfall sold well and had good word of making so changes was very risky and ultimately didn't pay off, (ignoring that the game was sent to die anyway)

black070

Changes that lead to a PD backlash, Titanfall sold well and had good word of making so changes was very risky and ultimately didn't pay off, (ignoring that the game was sent to die anyway)

But that implies it's the changes that led to weaker sales. As it stands the game is very well recieved critically and by many users.

MGrant

If the shields recharged, the snowballing effect for an enemy team who gets their titans faster would be absurd. Some of the boosts are the only things I agree need to be looked at (make grappling hook faster, make sonar blade shorter in duration + higher cost and cooldown, make maphack either sonar or radar, not both). The rest will be plenty fun when people figure out the mechanics. The battery system, for example, is important for success and good fun when you're actually on a team who gives their batteries to friendly titans in need. I played Titanfall 1 for about 100 hours, for background.

I'm liking it more than tf1, atm. Titans take more skill to stay alive longer, unless you have awesome teammates feeding you batteries. The game is different, give it some time. You clearly haven't played a lot if you think the turrets are indestructible. I can't believe people are complaing that the titans aren't ridiculously op saying it sucks when they lose 2v1 or 3v1 battles. The maps have really started to grow on me, though. Could use more With greater diversity for sure and map hack could also use some tweaks

Poster#1

The battery system, for example, is important for success and good fun when you're actually on a team who gives their batteries to friendly titans in need. I played Titanfall 1 for about 100 hours, for background.

I've been playing the games for few days. Not a single pilot on my team gave me a battery. They all save it for their own Titans.

I'll take a map hack that last for like 10 seconds and can only use once per Titanfall, over an instant titan at the beginning of the match with regenerative shields, or a full map hack that persists as long as you are not dead.. I'll take an amped weapon that you have to actually work towards, over a fast lock smart pistol or two shot kill G2A4 at the beginning of the match.

You can say what you want about the other stuff, but the progression system is my favorite out of any multiplayer game I've ever played. It feels fair, objective oriented, and I feel like you're constantly unlocking things to encourage you to keep playing. It's great.

I'll take a map hack that last for like 10 seconds and can only use once per Titanfall, over an instant titan at the beginning of the match with regenerative shields, or a full map hack that persists as long as you are not dead.. I'll take an amped weapon that you have to actually work towards, over a fast lock smart pistol or two shot kill G2A4 at the beginning of the match.
Right? I feel like i'm taking crazy pills

Squire

Banned
Isn't TF1 dead on PC? Didn't that happen rather quickly, too? Honestly, if the game can't hold an audience nothing else matters.

Like, I can understand the player base drying up on XBO - I can't stand the doomsaying around the console and/or literally any game that dares to run on it, but I'll concede the point here. PC though? What's up?

JeffGrubb

Maps: They are really bad compared to TF1 and it doesn't compliment Pilots movements like the first one.

This is just wrong. I fly through every single map as a pilot without a problem. Stringing together wallruns is better than ever.

Boosts(Scorestreak): Especially Sonar Balde. you get tagged every fucking minute and you're exposed to everyone on the map. Turrets are indestructible with pilots weapons.

These are maybe a problem, but I think we'll find the counters to these after more than four days.

Progression system: I don't why they changed it from the conventional XP system. It's confusing and you don't know when you're going to level up.

Progression is way better than TF1.

Titans: No shield regen. You're pretty much dead if you face two titans. Unlike in TF1.

But the doom state also doesn't auto deplete now, so you can survive a lot longer. And you can regen some healthy if you get a battery, which is an awesome mechanic.

Rodeo: They should have gave us the choice to steal the battery or shoot the titans.

Nah.

Bounty Hunt is incredible. Every weapon and the movement are all incredible. Titanfall 2 is an amazing game.

I'm honestly not sure why they took away the titan shield mechanic. As it currently stands Titans have a very short lifespan. Engaging two enemy titans will gets yours killed within seconds. In many cases you won't even have enough time to retreat. And even if you play smart and somehow manage to engage only one at a time, the permanent damage means that you will almost certainly lose the next engagement.

JTCx

The changes in TF2 are for the better. After spending a lot of time on it, theres no way I can go back to TF1.

The Dude

I'm honestly not sure why they took away the titan shield mechanic. As it currently stands Titans have a very short lifespan. Engaging two enemy titans will gets yours killed within seconds. In many cases you won't even have enough time to retreat. And even if you play smart and somehow manage to engage only one at a time, the permanent damage means that you will almost certainly lose the next engagement.

Haven't you heard about peek a boo? All the titans are doing it

Wouldn't you expect two titans to destroy in a 2v1 battle. Also, damage isn't permanent , get some batteries

Warablo

I agree for the most part. Some real weird decisions and map designs. It has more unlocks and a campaign though. Lol

Chris1

TF2>TF1 easily.

single player
better variety
more intense titan warfare
more customization and unlocks

maps can use some work
More customization sure in the form of pointless skins but the meaningful customization took a huge step back. Titans are essentially locked load outs etc.

Schlorgan

More customization sure in the form of pointless skins but the meaningful customization took a huge step back. Titans are essentially locked load outs etc.

But they're also more specialized. It's a similar approach DICE took with the classes in Battlefield 1; everyone has strengths and weaknesses, and no one can excel at everything. I prefer it this way, TBH.

commissar

The wallhack thing is so frequent, idk why they didnt just let everyone see where other people are all the time and save them the hassle of having to activate it.

Wouldn't you expect two titans to destroy in a 2v1 battle. Also, damage isn't permanent , get some batteries

I do expect two titans to destroy in a 2v1 fight. I just wonder if it's a good thing that this can happen in less time than it takes for the outnumbered titan to run away. Even if you do escape you will have nothing left for the next fight. And batteries aren't exactly falling out of the sky. Look I'm just saying that the outcome of a fight is now decided mostly by how much health your titan has left, which is decided by how many times you've engaged the enemy. I don't feel that having titans on the field for a less amount of time is a good thing in Titanfall.

Chris1

Seeing all these people liking titanfall 2 MP so much makes me sad. happy you're enjoying it but makes me think it'll never go back to titanfall 1 now.

Titanfall 1 will probably have more people on it 7 months into its life than 2 will by the end of November so yeah.

Seeing all these people liking titanfall 2 MP so much makes me sad. happy you're enjoying it but makes me think it'll never go back to titanfall 1 now.

People liking things that are not objectively bad makes you sad? Sure, lots of things could use a tuning here and there but acting like TF1 doesn't have its own set of problems is ridiculous.

The Dude

I do expect two titans to destroy in a 2v1 fight. I just wonder if it's a good thing that this can happen in less time than it takes for the outnumbered titan to run away. Even if you do escape you will have nothing left for the next fight. And batteries aren't exactly falling out of the sky. Look I'm just saying that the outcome of a fight is now decided mostly by how much health your titan has left, which is decided by how many times you've engaged the enemy. I don't feel that having titans on the field for a less amount of time is a good thing in Titanfall.

Pilots do a shit load of damage on titans as well, way to much imho.. When I start launching grenades at the titans I can get them to half health fairly quick. You combine that with 2 or 3 more pilots, or 1 or 2 Titans and its just a joke.. I agree, Titans Being the focal point should have more time in the spotlight. These are supposed to be huge daunting beastly machines and they can get ripped thru like nothing. Getting in a titan and being out of it in 30 seconds isn't fun at all.

Top Bottom