• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Unofficial Toki Tori Appreciation Thread

Link Man

Banned
So, I decided to pick this up today, and although I haven't played much yet, I'm already in love. With one part Lemmings and one part LoLo, it's a puzzle fan's dream come true! And according to the press release, it's got about a dozen hours of playtime, so it's a lot of bang for just 10 bucks.

I highly encourage all of you to try it.

Oh, and it makes excellent use of the Wiimote as well.

Ledsen

I thought this thread was about

e0o0ev.jpg

:(

HUELEN10

Cow Mengde said:
Toki Tori rocks. If you don't buy this game, you deserve a fist to the testicles.
Some of us are willing, but lack the space. I will get it for GBC soon, and I will buy it on Wii Ware the second a storage solution comes out.

bryehn

HUELEN10 said:
Some of us are willing, but lack the space. I will get it for GBC soon, and I will buy it on Wii Ware the second a storage solution comes out.

So it's easier to track down a 5+ year old GBC game and play it on your crappy old SP than it is to spend 30 minutes "cleaning your fridge" so you can play an update on your TV, with a friend helping you if they want to?

I just don't get it. I want a storage solution as much as the next guy/gal, but I'm not going to deprive myself/friens/family of a bunch of great games just to prove a point, or because I can't wait 5 minutes to copy an N64 game I haven't played in months to an SD card.

I picked Toki Tori up this morning. I didn't get into it much but I like the concept. Kinda reminds me of Exit and Lode Runner. Graphics are really nice and sharp, sound well it exists...and plenty of control options, plus co-op. Hope it's long though, I raced through the first part really really fast.

bryehn said:
So it's easier to track down a 5+ year old GBC game and play it on your crappy old SP than it is to spend 30 minutes "cleaning your fridge" so you can play an update on your TV, with a friend helping you if they want to?

I just don't get it. I want a storage solution as much as the next guy/gal, but I'm not going to deprive myself/friens/family of a bunch of great games just to prove a point, or because I can't wait 5 minutes to copy an N64 game I haven't played in months to an SD card.

I picked Toki Tori up this morning. I didn't get into it much but I like the concept. Kinda reminds me of Exit and Lode Runner. Graphics are really nice and sharp, sound well it exists...and plenty of control options, plus co-op. Hope it's long though, I raced through the first part really really fast.

The Wii Ware game is not a remake of the GBC game, it`s a sequel (Though it does borrow some stages) so both are worth picking up.

bryehn said:
The difficulty will go up later, the first world is just an appetizer (that includes the hard levels). Later on the hard levels are really, really hard (haven't finished all of them yet).

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I played through the first world and a bit of the second one. This is a really charming little puzzle platformer. The lush, colourful graphics and catchy music make the game a joy to play. I will be sinking many hours into this one for the forseeable future.

My only complaint so far is the fact that I can't use the Classic Controller's d-pad. Those sticks are just awkward to use.

bryehn

EmCeeGramr said:
Can I play it with the wiimote by itself?

Yeah, I like it the best, you can either tell him where to go bu pointing there, or you can "drag" him around the levels like a DS game almost.

The sound effect of the
slime sucker
doesn't stop playing after you use it, you have to pause and unpause the game to make it stop. Is anyone else having this problem?

Made it to the Bubble world, some of the puzzles in the third world got pretty tricky!

Oh yeah, Wiimote controls are definitely the way to go here.

I'm going to buy this game, as long as I have enough room. Does anyone know how many blocks this game requires? Hopefully its less then 200.

Wired

nincompoop said:
The sound effect of the
slime sucker
doesn't stop playing after you use it, you have to pause and unpause the game to make it stop. Is anyone else having this problem?

Yeah me too, although the sound doesn't keep playing if you release the button as soon as you've
sucked something in

frostythecat said:
I'm going to buy this game, as long as I have enough room. Does anyone know how many blocks this game requires? Hopefully its less then 200.

Too bad, it's 290 blocks :)

In the future you can look up stuff like that here: http://www.wiiware-world.com (no I have nothing to do with the site)

Spike

You bitches better buy this game!

I've been touting it from its release on the GBC, and alot skipped out. This is the chance to make things right.

JSnake

Fantastical said:
Enjoying it more than Lost Winds. Really good and it gets pretty hard.

I actually really disliked Lost Winds.

Anyway I just bought Toki Tori. Holy shit, WiiWare GOTY total. I love the music.

Jazzem

nincompoop said:
The sound effect of the
slime sucker

Yeah, I get that as well. Strange-but-not-really-game-ruining glitch.

I fully endorse this thread in any case. The week WiiWare was launched in Europe I chose between this or Lost Winds (The latter I'll be getting this Friday with Dr Mario), and plumped for Toki in the end. So glad I did, as a huge Lemmings/Adventures of Lolo fan it's a dream to play for me. The production values are surprisingly nice too, it looks lovely on my HDTV (In 480p!) and some of the music is very memorable. I'm going through it at a reasonable pace (Halfway through the third world) and am very satisfied with the purchase. Good job Two Tribes!

Now we just need a sequel/level designer! I may track the GBC game down on ebay as well...

Fantastical

Death Prophet
JSnake said:
I actually really disliked Lost Winds.

Anyway I just bought Toki Tori. Holy shit, WiiWare GOTY total. I love the music.
I really enjoyed it while I played it, but now it's sitting on my Wii, unfinished and I can't bring myself to finish it.

Finally got home and bought the game, yep it rocks :D

I can see myself blasting through this quickly though, I`ve already beaten the first 10 stages in about an hour or so. Hopefully Two Tribes have a sequel in the works, I`m already hungry for more :D

I`m really surprised at how good the game looks as well, the sprite animation is very good and the visuals are very sharp and detailed, looks almost HD!

Music is very nice too, I`ve already started humming the 1st level music :lol Oh and I love the little post cards you get on the Wii message board :D

From what I've played, the game looks awful, which is a shame. Bland/generic background and foreground pieces really fuck up the simplistic style of the character itself, and if that simplistic style had only been carried over to everything else, it would easily join Dr. Mario, FF:MLaaK, and Lost Winds as the best of WiiWare, but I can't just get over it. That said, everything else is pretty damn awesome, including the music. It's a great download.

Right now it's my second favorite WiiWare game (after LostWinds). With so much stuff it certainly feels like one of the "fuller" games to come to WiiWare. I think Toki Tori fits the way I play WiiWare well; I can try a challenge for a few minutes before work or before bed and play again later.

By the way, my comparison earlier to Donkey Kong ('94) is just plain wrong, and I retract it. Toki Tori is NOT, NOT, NOT a platformer.

Nuclear Muffin said:

I can see myself blasting through this quickly though, I`ve already beaten the first 10 stages in about an hour or so.

first stages are a joke, prepare yourself for some insanely tricky levels

Anasui Kishibe said:
first stages are a joke, prepare yourself for some insanely tricky levels

Yeah I`m expecting it, I just beat Adventures of Lolo and I know how hard that game got in the later levels!

Actually, thinking about it, Toki Tori really is a lot like a sidescrolling Lolo!

Fantastical

Death Prophet
IGN has their review up
IGN said:
7.5 Presentation
Though the game does lack a handful of features, it's pretty obvious that the developers put a lot of effort into bringing back its Game Boy Color hero for Wii gamers.
8.0 Graphics
Bright, vibrant, and colorful 2D environments with characters that animate fluidly.
8.0 Sound
The cartoony soundtrack is surprisingly catchy and fits the visual style and kooky theme.
8.0 Gameplay
A great throwback to platforming puzzle games that works extremely well with Wii controls. The level designs are challenging and can get extremely tough in deeper levels.
6.5 Lasting Appeal
The game's 40+ levels will take you only so far, but the developers created harder variations of existing levels to keep you challenged.
Impressive OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)
http://wii.ign.com/articles/878/878347p1.html

Definitely a nice score. I kinda wish there was DLC to this game. Weekly stages for about 200 would be nice.

Jazzem

Anyone know a place to download the music from Toki Tori? Google searches only bring up piratey torrents of the game itself -_-

just got it...
all i have to say is that this game is great, and so is the music...

...but...

I dont feel the two go together well(gameplay and music). The music is kind of overpowering imo for this type of game. i would have fallen in love with something a tad bit more subtle in the audio department, so im disappointed in that regard.

That said, go buy this game now if you havent or i will rocket punch you in the spine

Fantastical

Death Prophet
bridegur said:
I can't decide whether to get this, Echocrome, Lost Winds, or Dr. Mario.
I haven't played Echocrome (I know that it looks awesome.. I'd probably go for that), but from the two WiiWare games, I'd go for Toki Tori no doubt. It's quite charming actually, and presents real difficulty that you won't find in LostWinds. LostWinds was more relaxing for me, but I think of Toki Tori as more of a real game. They're really just different experiences.

I loved LostWinds at first, but I never finished it, unfortunately, and I have no real want to.

bridegur said:
I can't decide whether to get this, Echocrome, Lost Winds, or Dr. Mario.
i havent played much of it yet, but from what ive played, id get lost winds and echo before this game. No discredit though, its just that lost winds and echo are that good

Wired

abstract alien said:
i havent played much of it yet, but from what ive played, id get lost winds and echo before this game. No discredit though, its just that lost winds and echo are that good

Just keep in mind that Lost Winds is exceptionally short, like two hours at an unhurried pace. Toki Tori would last you a great deal longer, and I imagine the same goes for Echocrome (haven't played it myself).

Link Man

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:

I can see myself blasting through this quickly though, I`ve already beaten the first 10 stages in about an hour or so. Hopefully Two Tribes have a sequel in the works, I`m already hungry for more :D

I`m really surprised at how good the game looks as well, the sprite animation is very good and the visuals are very sharp and detailed, looks almost HD!

Music is very nice too, I`ve already started humming the 1st level music :lol Oh and I love the little post cards you get on the Wii message board :D
The grapics are fully 3-D, I believe.

Top Bottom