• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG247: Xbox 720: Blu-ray, 4-6 core CPU, '2 GPUs', Kinect as standard, net required

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Update:

Re. the 'always on' internet connection Patrick Garrett of VG247 says:

I was told the always-on thing was “like Steam”. So maybe there’ll be an offline mode, or something. I was told it was a requirement, though.

Original:

Here's the link:

http://ht.ly/a1eSh

VG247 has learned that Microsoft has now detailed Xbox 720 to certain partners and has internally confirmed the machine for a Christmas 2013 release.

The next generation Xbox will have a Blu-ray drive, contrary to a recent report.

Multiple sources have confirmed this morning that the machine will have two GPUs. One said: “It’s like two PCs taped together.”

We’re waiting for final confirmation of specs, but the graphics cards are thought to be equivalent to AMD’s 7000 series GPUs, but “not CrossFire or SLI”. The GPUs aren’t structured as they are in a normal dual PC set-up, in which the two chips take it in turns to draw lines of the same object: Xbox 720′s graphics units will be able to work independently, drawing separate items simultaneously.

Xbox 720 will require an always-on internet connection as an anti-piracy measure.

We’ve also been told that the next generation of Kinect will be built into the device as standard.

On the CPU side they mention 4-6 cores, with one reserved for the OS and one reserved for Kinect.

Discuss, etc. :p

Feep

Banned
Multiple sources have confirmed this morning that the machine will have two GPUs. One said: “It’s like two PCs taped together.”
I refuse to believe someone isn't trolling someone else here.

Aguirre

It’s like two PCs taped together.
VsAQK.gif

I just can't see anyway Kinect would be built in. Too many people have their consoles hidden away out of sight or in a spot that would make the camera unusable.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I just can't see anyway Kinect would be built in. Too many people have their consoles hidden away out of sight or in a spot that would make the camera unusable.

I think it just means it comes as standard, not actually physically built into the machine's casing.

Dennis

Banned
If the 720 comes out with two 680 GPUs, PC gaming will finally die after having been d00med for so many years.

Maybe it's a devkit. PS3 devkits had 2x6800 Ultras. But I don't see a reason why would they ship a console with 2 independant GPUs when one bigger chip can easily outperform 2 smaller ones at the same price.

Dynoro

Most of that is not extraordinary: BR drive and Kinect built in I take almost as a given (I did think DD could be done for next gen at one point but I've come around to the idea of disc again). 2 GPUs sounds weird though unless they are SLI/Xfire'd up. The always on net connection probably bogus though - even though they would use it as an anti-piracy move and if Sony does the same it would be logical.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So, VG247 hardware rumors are interesting in that they usually 1.) have a basis in reality and 2.) have something wrong with them.

Like their Vita specs and dev kit pictures were mostly on, but they called the processor a four core Cell instead of a four core ARM.

It's also worth noting the Xbox 360 devkits had two Radeon 800 GPUs before going to the final part (Xenos).

Log4Girlz

I told ShockingAlberto this is what would constitute "Batshit insane" in my book...looks like he was right about MS.

MarkusRJR

This is probably an April Fool's joke, but if the next Xbox has Kinect as a standard I'm not going to pick it up. I don't have that much room to use Kinect. Wii U/PS4 would be my only options.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I know I work for this site and stuff from time to time, but this is legit - at least currently. Things can change, obviously. There's more to come, as well, I think.

Lest we forget this, months before anyone else: http://www.vg247.com/2010/07/26/rumour-gta-v-is-set-in…/

Can you elaborate on the GPU bit at all?

Are they identical chips?

Is this just for dev kits to emulate a final chip?

I'm trying to think of reasons why you'd have two separate chips that don't work as they would in SLI, unless they're maybe different types of chip, each tuned for different types of graphics workload...but even that seems weird.

Seems like we might be getting closer to the truth...

I think it just means it comes as standard, not actually physically built into the machine's casing.

Yup, obviously you can't have the lenses in the machine casing... well, unless the machine is the size of a kinect. :)

I don't believe the 'always-on' bit for a second.

I don't think a company like Microsoft would deny themselves sales by implementing something like this.

I'm trying to think of reasons why you'd have two separate chips that don't work as they would in SLI, unless they're maybe different types of chip, each tuned for different types of graphics workload...but even that seems weird.

Not my story, sorry. I know that more's coming, though, hopefully this week.

offshore

"Xbox 720 will require an always-on internet connection as an anti-piracy measure."

I can believe that MS would like to do this in theory, but no way will they do it in reality.

There's still around 25% of consumers that don't have their 360's connected to the internet iirc.

Not my story, sorry. I know that more's coming, though, hopefully this week.
Nice.

This can't be right. I mean come on.

What would 2 GPU's be used for? What's the benefit? Would it be like Crossfire?

Something to do with the whole media hub thing Microsoft seem to be focusing on?

Nightbringer

Don´t hit me for my bad english plase
Dual GPU? Now is when some people will start to believe that Microsoft will put an AMD HD 7990 on it.

Dual GPU could be anything, even they can put a Dual GPU on a SoC.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
720 is is two PCs duct-taped together?? how many Wiis and gamebuces is that?

anyway..from these rumors and "leaks" on PS4 and Xbox 3, and what we know so far about Wii U, look like Microsoft is the only one going for a powerhouse gaming system this time.

Log4Girlz

I predict the two GPU's will not have to have a seperate memory bank each, and instead share the VRAM pool. They will probably underclock each one so that the thermal output is manageable but you still get a massive increase in graphics processing over just having 1 GPU. It will also feature the latest in GPGPU tech.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
this machine will destroy everything. this will be the end of the era.

-4000k resolution is a minimum requirement for all new titles
-120 fps games
-all people with internet connection less than 10 mbps will be banned from using Live.

It could be that the GPU in question is a custom design targeted for multi core, like the one on the Vita/iPad.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
on a console??what's going to be the size of the thing???and the cost??with kinect in there....better start saving now or get a second job....lol

Maybe it's two smaller GPUs that works out to have smaller thermal/power requirements than one larger? But the description of how they work together, not SLI-like but 'working on different object rendering' bit seems weird and potentially inefficient. If heterogenous maybe harks back to separate types of shader unit, but who knows.

This is probably an April Fool's joke, but if the next Xbox has Kinect as a standard I'm not going to pick it up. I don't have that much room to use Kinect. Wii U/PS4 would be my only options.

The next Kinect will work up close, and we don't know if and how it will be incorporated into games on the next console, so dismissing a entire console for that would be crazy. And I doubt it is a aprils fools joke, since today is not April first.

DarkChild

Banned
This can't be right. I mean come on.

What would 2 GPU's be used for? What's the benefit? Would it be like Crossfire?

Something to do with the whole media hub thing Microsoft seem to be focusing on?
Probably dual GPU in dev kit to emulate chip not yet produced. They did that with 360 too. Started with Ati 9800 -> Ati x800 -> 2x6800 Ultra.

Pooya

2 GPUs? uh. I can see it to be like what Intel did starting with their Arrandale CPUs or Nvidia Hybrid for laptops at some point, an integrated GPU in CPU for lower power consumption while doing normal tasks (not gaming), and a main GPU for gaming, maybe the weaker low power consumption one can assist the main GPU too for some tasks. otherwise I don't see the point of having two high end GPUs, power consumption and heat generated would be impractical for a small console box.

Top Bottom