• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DigitalFoundry] Zelda: Switch vs Wii U Frame-Rate Stress Tests

KageZero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhoiGxl6bnE
DF has posted another zelda video comparing differences between the wiiU and Switch versions at a later stage of the game.
In general the switch has a better frame rate and less drops, especially while traversing through villages. As in before, portable mode has the best performance

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I wonder how
Korok forest
is on WiiU, because on the Switch it seemed to be going down to the single digits in that area at places. Not permanently, but there are some heavy drops there. I wonder how the WiiU compares there. On Switch is the area with the worst performance I've encountered so far.

Firemind

I wonder how
Korok forest
is on WiiU, because on the Switch it seemed to be going down to the single digits in that area at places. Not permanently, but there are some heavy drops there. I wonder how the WiiU compares there.
Apparently some later villages are even worse.

Volotaire

I only caught the first minute or two of the video, bit it seems the Switch dominates the Wii U in village performance.

Must... Resist... The Switch!

I would buy this console just to play Breath of The Wild, Zelda games are among my all time favourites and have greatly inspired me from my childhood!

I was thinking about just getting it on the WiiU, but besides the excellent portable experience in general, this seems quite nice to me. In addition to the moderate bump up to 900p and some other minor improvements, it also performs better, particularly in villages.

Good enough for me :)

I wonder how
Korok forest
is on WiiU, because on the Switch it seemed to be going down to the single digits in that area at places. Not permanently, but there are some heavy drops there. I wonder how the WiiU compares there. On Switch is the area with the worst performance I've encountered so far.

it's horrendous, not great switch but on wii u it's a joke.
Later areas get really,really bad on wii u, the village they show in this footage is just the start of the problems.

I only caught the first minute or two of the video, bit it seems the Switch dominates the Wii U in village performance.
Switch version dominates in the later areas in a big way, still should be improved but it's nowhere near as bad as the wii u version.

I don't understand why setting the Switch to 720p does not give the same performance in docked mode as the 720p portable mode.

ryushe

Haven't watched the video yet, but after about 30 hours in, the opening section, for whatever reason, is definitely not optimized well.

No, it happens.

Nope. Kill one of the big dudes and the game just freeze frames while it's trying to calculate his ragdoll.

Intense.

Really wish the switch version was much better than it was for all the people that like Zelda games ( I am not exactly one of them).
I don't understand why setting the Switch to 720p does not give the same performance in docked mode as the 720p portable mode.

Like, you cannot understand on a technical level? Or can you not comprehend Nintendo's decision making to make it just downsample from 1600X900 on a rational level?

ckaneo

Intense.

Really wish the switch version was much better than it was for all the people that like Zelda games ( I am not exactly one of them).
That's seems to be the only bug in portable mode, easily the best version to play.

I get nice framerate throughout the villages and stress areas so the experience is good on that front.

Wallach

There's definitely some kind of physics bug with the Moblins when they ragdoll after a knockdown. In certain cases the game seems to really struggle to resolve what should be happening. It's been rare in my experience but consistently with that particular enemy, and most often when knocking them down when on one of their multi-level stronghold staircases.

jett

D-Member
I find it curious DF hasn't reported the heavy stuttering/ freezing I've seen in other videos.

Xun

It sounds like their VSync implementation is largely at fault with the games performance, so hopefully things will get patched at some stage.

ckaneo

Thanks for the info. I don't think Nintendo is even going to bother with improving the frame-rate.

They've had plenty of time already, no?
They will try at least. The Moblin freezing will probably be fixed, but I'm not so sure they can really fix the framerate since the hardware is so weak.

They haven't had plenty of time lol. Performance optimization is done last and they kinda had to rush it out the door for launch.

They will try at least. The Moblin freezing will probably be fixed, but I'm not so sure they can really fix the framerate since the hardware is so weak.

They haven't had plenty of time lol. Performance optimization is done last and they kinda had to rush it out the door for launch.

6 years isn't enough?

I heard the game finished most of its development last year, or is that not true?

KrawlMan

Haven't watched the video yet, but after about 30 hours in, the opening section, for whatever reason, is definitely not optimized well.

The jungle area south east of the great plateau is far worse. I really hope they do something about it :(

Machina

Banned
I'm hoping Nintendo has some major patches in the works to fix these issues but I can't say the framerate has been all that bad for me playing in handheld mode.

Not even bold enough to try it docked

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I find it curious DF hasn't reported the heavy stuttering/ freezing I've seen in other videos.
Probably haven't run into it? I started playing and made some good progress. I have yet to encounter any stuttering or freezing. Honestly, the frame-rate is a lot better than I expected all around.

Ah, death mountain. That's the issue with covering games like this - they are SO big and it takes a lot of time and effort to reach stress-test areas.

Or can you not comprehend Nintendo's decision making to make it just downsample from 1600X900 on a rational level?

Yes it makes no sense to me why Nintendo chose to internally render the game at 900p then downscale it to 720p for a docked mode Switch set to 720p, when instead rendering 720p would have improved performance (as portable mode Switch shows).

Maybe there is a good technical reason, I would like to understand if so.

-shadow-

Seems pretty good on the Switch. WiiU unfortunately not so hot. Odd that Nintendo was fine with such a frame rate.

KageZero

Probably haven't run into it? I started playing and made some good progress. I have yet to encounter any stuttering or freezing. Honestly, the frame-rate is a lot better than I expected all around.

Ah, death mountain. That's the issue with covering games like this - they are SO big and it takes a lot of time and effort to reach stress-test areas.

I know there is a lot of stuff coming out but do you maybe plan to cover Fast rmx as well? I have been playing it and it seems to be a stable 60fps, however i'm interested in the resolution of the docked mode, is it really a 1080p all the time or are they using a dynamic resolution.

bennibop

Optimisation for the game is horrific, within 10 mins of starting the game I had framerate issue (on Switch docked) and matters only get worst the further you progress in to the game.

What I find annoying is that some people are claiming there are no issues or are seeing very few, everybody has the same hardware and copy of the game it will happen across the board. It is a good game but the framerate issues (the worst I have seen in a few years) though are indefensible and impact the gameplay.

I know there is a lot of stuff coming out but do you maybe plan to cover Fast rmx as well? I have been playing it and it seems to be a stable 60fps, however i'm interested in the resolution of the docked mode, is it really a 1080p all the time or are they using a dynamic resolution.

Pretty sure they stated they use a dynamic resolution.

Optimisation for the game is horrific, within 10 mins of starting the game I had framerate issue (on Switch docked) and matters only get worst the further you progress in to the game.

What I find annoying is that some people are claiming there are no issues or are seeing very few, everybody has the same hardware and copy of the game it will happen across the board. It is a good game but the framerate issues (the worst I have seen in a few years) though are indefensible and impact the gameplay.

Different people have different standards and impact by framerate. Not everyone is at the same place in the game. It's not a conspiracy to lie to you.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Nintendo's hardware seems unable to match their creativity anymore. I have been enjoying Zelda immensely but drops to 1-2 fps are unacceptable.

bennibop

Pretty sure they stated they use a dynamic resolution.

Different people have different standards and impact by framerate. Not everyone is at the same place in the game. It's not a conspiracy to lie to you.

I don't believe there is, but the are people claiming they have seen no issues at all which is utter crap. I don't think different peoples standards come to play here this is not 1-2 dropped frames this is drop of 10+ frames and the game playing like a slide show.

EctoPrime

It would be interesting to see if the device the install data from the Wii U version is put on impacts performance. Installing to internal memory, usb drive, external hdd or ssd could show a framerate difference.

I don't believe there is, but the are people claiming they have seen no issues at all which is utter crap.

I havent aeen anyone say the game has zero performance issues. I have seen people say they are not huge or they dont find them to be a big deal. Fair enough, not everyone is super sensitive to framerste.

I don't think different peoples standards come to play here this is not 1-2 dropped frames this is drop of 10+ frames and the game playing like a slide show.

So you think its a conspiracy. Okay.
I think the game has some rather obvious performance issues
we go through this everytime a big title launches. TLOU, Skyrim, GTA5, AC:U. Some people are just more bothered by framerate than others

I beat the game on Wii U yesterday. The performance is obviously bad but, for the most part, I didn't find it to be a detriment to actual gameplay. I say for the most part because there was one big exception:

The Vah Ruta boss fight where you're skiing around and using the freeze rune, etc. was fucking horrendous. Awesome concept of course but the framerate was absolutely atrocious and it actually became hard to aim.

Top Bottom