• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galactic Princess - Space Survival Sandbox on Kickstarter

Naito

dd2kkqy.png

In the vastness of space, only our dreams echo endlessly, the rest is ephemeral.

Galactic Princess Kickstarter has been succesfully funded at £34k!

As the captain of your own smuggler spaceship, lead your crew to a life of glory!
To survive in space you will need to find the best equipment. But the most important thing is not what you get,
it's what you do... As a captain you must define your priorities: your crew, your ship, your cargo, your quest?
Make your own choices, and forge your destiny!

Platforms: PC/Windows, Mac, Linux (distributed on Steam)
Developer: CECLY

Kickstarter page | Steam Greenlight | Official page | @GalacPrincess

–

Galactic Princess - Trailer

637x358.resizedimage
637x358.resizedimage

637x358.resizedimage
637x358.resizedimage

Overview

Dive into an epic adventure through deep space. Find the princess to restore peace, and rule the universe.
As the captain of your own smuggler spaceship, lead your crew to a life of glory!
How you do that is up to you!

The ways to achieve this aim are multiple. From trading merchandises, even illegal ones such as space drugs or slaves if you choose so, to using diplomatic solutions.
But never forget though, that the best option remains piracy, but with piracy often comes the price of blood.
So guard your treasures and beware your enviousopponents, especially of the corrupted members of the Spacecop alliance.

Galactic Princess is a combination between retro-futurism and pop culture.
The game plays with common clichés and well-known references, twisting them in an unexpected way.
Using satire, and parody, Galactic Princess toys with Humor and Drama throughout it.

space-gif-final-animv3.gif

The fate of the ship is in your hands

Manage your crew's abilities: from repelling intruders on your ship, to boosting the ship's systems.
As a smuggler you deal in all sorts of merchandise. From perfectly normal space pizza to pricey
and dangerous contraband such as space drugs, and even slaves. Beware though, even in space the police are watching.

rnn.gif
7890.gif
r0i.gif

Spaceship design

Build every aspect of your spaceship, define its shape and functions, and plan your strategy accordingly to your placement choices: engines, weapons, shields, sensors...
Everything is possible! Just define the strategy that suits you the most. Your ship’s physics will react to those choices!

Reach the speed of light to explore the galaxy.

le6a.gif

Something tells me the word "princess" is going to turn away a lot of potential backers..that in itself is a tragedy, looks interesting.

edit: Is that shredder in the background? :O

Mendoza

Not digging the derivative Sword & Sworcery style.
I mean, it looks really nice, but I have to say that it's dangerously similar to the superbrothers' art direction for S&S.

Naito

From the Steam Greenlight page

How does crew vs crew combat work? Real-time tactical, turn-based, directly control?
Real time and tactical pause: To facilitate your management and tactical decisions, an active pause will help you to assign your orders.

Similarly, can you directly control a crew member and walk around your ship?
The direct control is one of our kickstater strech goals.

Do you actually control your ship and fly through space or is it more like FTL, where you just manage your systems?
You can control your ship and fly through space, the opposite of FTL.

rybrad

The release date listed in the tiers sure seems awfully far off relative to the amount of funding they are looking for.

Love the Star Wars-esque banner art. Not keen on the Superbrothers art style though; I feel like that's a bit played out now.

Won't be backing anyway as I'm a console gamer. Were this on Vita too I'd definitely be interested.

Reminds me of that second record of levels in Sound Shapes, the one set in the corporate building. That had pixel cats too.

Reminds me of that second record of levels in Sound Shapes, the one set in the corporate building. That had pixel cats too.
It's based off of an IP called Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery (Capy and Jim Guthrie). This artstlye has exploded since then.

This is interesting, i'll keep an eye on how it goes.
Also, someone needs to tell them that they've spelled 'Stretch' wrong in 'Strech Goals'.

800,000 for a PS4/X1 version seems pretty absurd, lol.

edit: They also have a stretch goal for their target, that doesn't make much sense.

Other than that, it looks pretty nice

Acccent

Is anyone here involved in this project in any way? I know the guy behind it and he's an utter dick, the worst person I've ever had to work with. Wondering if he's changed.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Ripping off the Sword and Sworcery/Superbrothers pixel-art style whole sale and jamming it into an FTL clone is incredibly poor form.

Over complicated backgrounds making the foreground barely legible is a key sign of someone that only knows how to steal, not design intelligently.

Blinck

I think the art looks cool, but it's extremely confusing. I can't understand what's happening in most of those screens without close examination

Ripping off the Sword and Sworcery/Superbrothers pixel-art style whole sale and jamming it into an FTL clone is incredibly poor form.

Over complicated backgrounds making the foreground barely legible is a key sign of someone that only knows how to steal, not design intelligently.
Hate to be blunt but this is one of most ridiculous uniformed posts I've ever read

1) Riot, Gunpoint, High Moon, etc., there has been many games that have had pixel art. Being inspired by a game is not ripping it off

2) Because a game lets you manage your ship's systems, it's an FTL clone? Because FTL let you engage in real time ship combat, or tactically command your crew in combat, equip them with weapons and gear, or let you design and build your ship, or had physics based movement and control. Once again being inspired by a game does not make it a clone

Taking base gameplay foundation (ie micromanaging your ship in combat) and spinning it off in new directions and ways not explored before does not make a game clone or a ripoff.

Rubius

I really like the whole HD Atari Pixel art style. Look gorgeous to me. Backed at 16$
Go check out Legend of Dungeon on Steam if you want a game that have the same look. It's pretty gorgeous.
gst1.gif

It's time for indie artists to approach pixel art in a different way if the'y're not going to move on from it.

Indie artists do approach pixel art in different ways. Just take a look at, say, Shovel Knight, Retro City Rampage, Fez, Hyper Light Drifter, Lone Survivor, Frogatto and Friends, Volgarr the Viking, Broforce, La-Mulana, and Mercenary Kings -- ten indie games from the last few years with very different art styles, and all different from this one.

This game does certainly ride the S&S style very closely, but I'm not convinced that referencing a recent pixel art style is horrible while referencing an older one is fine.

Was kinda excited to come in and post about this Kickstarter finally going live, but the backlash to small independent studios utilizing pixel art and claims of "derivity" is seriously killing my will to do so.

Jesus Christ. I honestly don't understand it.

epmode

Was kinda excited to come in and post about this Kickstarter finally going live, but the backlash to small independent studios utilizing pixel art and claims of "derivity" is seriously killing my will to do so.

Jesus Christ. I honestly don't understand it.

There are definitely some miserable people in this thread. Pixel art can get you a good looking game for relatively little money. I suppose those complaining don't really understand this?

edit: Reread the thread. There aren't all that many complaints. The "looks like trash" comment set me off, I think.

I like pixel art but it's a little bit overdone now and clearly doesn't add anything special to your game any more. I'm more excited by the gameplay perspectives so I'm still quite interested though.

Wiktor

I like pixel art but it's a little bit overdone now and clearly doesn't add anything special to your game any more. I'm more excited by the gameplay perspectives so I'm still quite interested though.

I agree that Pixel art is a bit overdone, but this particular kind isn't seem all that often and it fits with Retro nature of the game. I definitely prefer this type than the cutesty console-styled anime one.

Can't believe I missed the announcement 3 days ago. Just backed this and voted for it on Greenlight. Seems like a pretty safe bet it's going to get funded with nearly a month to go and it being over half way. The first couple of stretch goals aren't extremely exciting "More stuff!". The really interesting, slightly game changing ones to me are the 100k-200k ones, which I doubt will be hit.

CNCOMICS

Indie artists do approach pixel art in different ways. Just take a look at, say, Shovel Knight, Retro City Rampage, Fez, Hyper Light Drifter, Lone Survivor, Frogatto and Friends, Volgarr the Viking, Broforce, La-Mulana, and Mercenary Kings -- ten indie games from the last few years with very different art styles, and all different from this one.

This game does certainly ride the S&S style very closely, but I'm not convinced that referencing a recent pixel art style is horrible while referencing an older one is fine.

I see a difference between Sprite Art (Shovel Knight, Mercenary Kings) and Pixel Art (Sword & Sorcery and Nidhogg). And would say Fez and Hyper Light Drifter exist between both styles.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I think this looks hideous, and I thought Hyper Light Drifter looked hideous too, but everyone thought HLD looked so cool that I imagined I was in the minority. Maybe I'm not, after all?

La-Mulana and Cosmic Star Heroine do retro-style graphics right, IMO. It actually looks good.

I think this looks hideous, and I thought Hyper Light Drifter looked hideous too, but everyone thought HLD looked so cool that I imagined I was in the minority. Maybe I'm not, after all?

La-Mulana and Cosmic Star Heroine do retro-style graphics right, IMO. It actually looks good.
Pixel graphics (HLD, Galactic Princess, Gods Will Be Watching, etc.) does not equate to retro graphics (La-Mulana, etc.) They're two different visual styles.

Acccent

Well apparently no one knows anything about the dev, like I suspected. Seems like the KS is gonna reach its goal too, so I really hope for your sakes and your money that he's changed :| Although I think he already has way more than enough of that and he's using KS for promotional purposes only and a nice free extra, so at least the game will probably be made regardless of the outcome for those interested in it...

Top Bottom