• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europe Gaf: at what price would you pick up a XB1 over PS4?

genbatzu

I don't see a scenario where I would buy a Xbone (or a WiiU for that matter), regardless of price.

It seems like the console was primarily created for an american audience, the difference in performance appears to be huge and I just don't care for any Microsoft exclusive.

this.

except the Wii U part (which I'll by when it's at 150€)

gruenel

Never ? I would rather pay a little more upfront than having to play inferior multiplattform games for the next 5 years. Even for 250€ i would still be more likely to get just a PS4 for 400€.

this.

If the exclusives deliver I might pick one up for 200€ at the end of the gen though.

redcrayon

Very little would convince me to take an Xbox one over a PS4 right now. It's not about the money for me, I just prefer Sony's first-party output and have zero interest in shooters, racing games, Kinect, multimedia stuff (my tv can do that already), online gaming in general and Fable, so I just don't gain anything by choosing an Xbox instead. Even if it was £100-£150 cheaper I'd rather pay more to get access to the games I want, and if I went for the cheaper option I'd probably regret making a decision based on price rather than the games range when it's a hobby I spend hundreds of hours a year on.

I also don't have space for both under the telly, but it's super-cheap in four or five years time and they have half a dozen great RPGs or platformers that I can't play anywhere else, then I might pick one up and swap it in for a few months when my PS Plus sub runs out, something that also heavily supports my Vita and another reason I'd rather have a PS4. I'm absolutely not paying for both XBL and PS+ at the same time, that sounds like madness.

To be fair, I'm not even considering a PS4 until this time next year at the earliest, as while I'm far more interested in it than the Xbox, I can wait for a hardware revision, heavy price cuts and more games for both machines before making a decision. Right now neither looks like an attractive replacement for my PS3.

I've seen nothing that would make want to pick it up at all so far, and nothing on the horizon either. If they do amass an interesting library within the next couple of years I'd get one at around £170-£200.

As it is right now I'm happy with the PlayStation trio of 3/4&Vita.

The one game that may of got me is Titan Fall, but having seen the Xbox One footage I'm sure I'd be happy with the 360 version or the Windows one.

FeiRR

Banned
No, thanks. Maybe used for around €100 in a few years if some games (like Remedy's) prove to be good. But they'll probably end up on PC anyway.

Wii U has a lot more appeal for me, I'm waiting for that €100 price point.

daniels

About 34,99€ but only if the remove kinect, pack in a second controller, live gold and netflix free for 2 years, full lifetime warranty and four games (incl. all dlc) of my choosing.

That's because over the life of the console, it will cost me $420 in just live fees assuming the console last for 7 years and live is still at 60/y.

Do not pay the fees, could you not use a free console to play single player games. So if I wanted to ship you a free console, would you not accept it :)

I understand what you are trying to say, you do not want to pay for both XBL and PS+, I am the same.

Shenzakai

Banned
Honestly, most of you guys are just insane. It's just embarassing. Even without Kinect the Xbox One is worth the same price as the PS4. The workmanship of the console and the controller is amazing and in terms of performance we are not speaking of a difference like Wii -> PS360 so how could you dare to say 199/249 Euro?!? The One delivers more possibilities, has the far better software line-up on shelve and announced for the coming months. I've bought it for 499 and still confident with the price. I see that most people don't care about Kinect, so for those 399, but not one cent less than that.

terrier

Honestly, most of you guys are just insane. It's just embarassing. Even without Kinect the Xbox One is worth the same price as the PS4. The workmanship of the console and the controller is amazing and in terms of performance we are not speaking of a difference like Wii -> PS360 so how could you dare to say 199/249 Euro?!? The One delivers more possibilities, has the far better software line-up on shelve and announced for the coming months. I've bought it for 499 and still confident with the price. I see that most people don't care about Kinect, so for those 399, but not one cent less than that.

without kinect it is not worth the same price as ps4 because it packs less capable hardware.

SighFight

I am Not really shure if at this point there is a price where I would buy one. I feel no temptation at all. This might change with some upcoming games.
What I would be tempted to buy is a Wii U for 199 or 149 €. There's just more games I think I would enjoy.

Mung

How is it worth the same price when it is far less powerful and the multiplats (which account for the majority of games) are almost all worse?

redcrayon

Software lineup is heavily subjective, and also there's a small minority of Vita owners who benefit heavily from having a home console and a handheld linked up to PS Plus.

I kinda see your point that the Xbox One is of a broadly similar value if you are interested in absolutely all genres, don't care about backwards compatibility or handhelds or spec differences and are only comparing console-to-console like-for-like. Sure, it's not that much worse a console, although I don't see how you can admit it's slightly worse but still think it's worth the same price even without Kinect. Plus, at the moment all of the extra functionality is barely operational outside the US. I'm in the UK, you'd think it would be a priority for MS as it's the only other market they have half a chance in, but no.

Thing is, it's not that simple for some people, everyone has different tastes and not everyone likes every genre. You're making a pretty sweeping brushstroke there. None of the available or upcoming exclusives on either console really appeal to me at all
yet
, certainly not shooters, and the launch period games are usually quickly surpassed and forgotten anyway. Besides, I need to see where any exclusive RPGs are going to fall, that's the killer for me, and that'll take ages.

aravuus

I wouldn't pick Xbone over PS4 for any price, but I will be getting one sometime in the future when it's something like 300 euros

It's embarrassing I don't like the same games you do? Oh lol. What an embarrassing post, Shenzakai

Hoo-doo

Banned

The OP said. "Pick up a XB1 OVER a PS4".

Not many would do that, for any price. And your talk about the possibilities is laughable. 90% of TV and Kinect features don't even work in the EU.

And don't get me started on the software. People are really having their minds warped because of a slightly superior launch catalog.
Sony has a stable of first-party teams Microsoft can only dream of right now and having vastly superior versions of every single multiplatform game is worth more than a once-in-a-generation Respawn exclusive.

Phinor

If I saw Xbox One at around 150 euros in a store while passing by, it might be just low enough for me to impulse buy it. I have no plans to buy the clearly inferior product until it has enough unique content that I really want. Currently it has zero such content, Forza used to be the game that got me to buy Xbox consoles but the latest version will never have that effect as long as they don't have support for existing wheels. Because it's Microsoft, that support will never come so that's one huge franchise ruined that had the potential to get me to buy their console.

I'm not sure how many good games I need to warrant a purchase but I only bought PS3 last year with The Last of Us being the main reason in addition to the exclusive back catalog. So at similar rate, I'm looking to actually buy Xbox One around 2020. Unless, of course, they get me to impulse buy it without thinking.

Skeff

£80

It'd just be an exclusive box to me and my pricepoint is £99 for Wii U, and i see xb1 as having less value to me as an exclusive box.

None of the features of the XB1 are appealing to me, Tv in may have been useful if it had supported 50Hz content properly, but I'm not paying XBLG for the oneguide so that goes out of the window too.

daniels

Uhh no the hardware is worse... and we are talking about at what price we would pick it up OVER the PS4..

ymmv

Banned
I can pick up a Xbox One for 350 euro when it's released in the Netherlands (online price mistake that will still be honored by the retailer), but I don't see myself getting one. The exclusives simply aren't good enough, I'm not interested in Kinect, I'm tired of franchises like Halo, Forza, Gears and Fable. Since I already have a PS4 and Wii U (plus a PC) I'd rather get a 35 voucher than 150 euro off the original price.

-

Oh, wait. At what price would I pick the X1 instead of PS4? Never gonna happen. Why would anyone want a console that's so much weaker than its direct competitor? The X1 could be $100 cheaper than the PS4 and it would still be a bad deal.

If by year 2 of the Xbox one life it has some good exclusives i would buy one at €299, but i would never buy it over a ps4.

Spaghetti

there is not a number low enough, personally

i got my 360 based on the hype from my friends, but after awhile i realised i wasn't interested in the majority of exclusives, i didn't like paying for online, i wasn't really impressed with a lot of the arcade offerings either

i think i got it around march 2008, and by maybe mid-2009/early 2010 i'd sold it off with all my games because i just didn't give a fuck about it any longer

given that the xbo is a comparatively underpowered and overpriced system to what else is on the market, and that i'm still not interested in the exclusives, with the online still at a premium, plus a nonsense dashboard, there is no chance i can be sold an xbox one unless a number of drastic changes happen

PaRappa

£199 in a few years time without the Kinnect and a decent first party library of budget games. I have a PS4 for multiplats and Im more likley to pick up a Wii U as my second console. XB1 would be my third machine close towards the end of this gen.

Aiii

So not worth it
I would never buy an Xbox One over a PlayStation 4. Both previous Xbox's have been disappointing buys for me, in part due to not being a shooter-fan I suppose.

Add to that the fact the One seems to be underperforming to the PS4, there really isn't any reason to go that route. I'm not even 100% that I'm ever getting an Xbox One and I normally buy all the consoles and handhelds, so I guess that says enough about my state of mind on the One.

twl

Banned
50 SEK, so around 8 bucks, I would never buy an Xbone over a PS4 unless it was for selling for profit.

Does Australia count? :p

I don't think there's any realistic price point that would make me choose a Bone over PS4. It's the weaker system with (based on past experiences) weaker first party support.

I will buy one when its cheap (under $300 AU) if they make Banjo Kazooie 3 or something else interesting. Microsoft's regular IP's are tired.

Facism

It would help your case if you didn't start your post calling members insane or embarrassing.

Aretak

niceoneari4s.gif

Into

Great way to convince people to get a Xbox One, call them "insane", then call the console "The One" which is pretty much a death sentence to the rest of your post. How dare people suggest a lower price in a thread that is about what price people would buy the console for.

Then claim it delivers more possibilities, without actually pointing what those are, a classic move, then claim it has a "far better" software line up, when that is purely subjective, i dont know about you, but i dont want Halo if its not Bungie. Which leaves the rest of the library as meh.

Danneee

BC with 360 XBLA could get my interest up for the X1. And that's pretty much the only realistic thing that would.
If I'd go solely on price I'd say €100 today, maybe.
Just buying a 360 again would probably be the better choice today.

meppi

The price isn't the problem for me at all.

The problem is that the company is on the same "will not buy" list for me due to various reasons, as are companies like Activision and EA/DICE.

Not really interested in any of them right now. Just no games for me yet. Down the road i can see myself picking up each for <150&#8364; depending on the library at that given moment. I guess this will take some time.

redcrayon

Personally I think that them both having paid-for online gaming subscriptions is really going to force more people to make a choice rather than having both set up constantly (although I expect gaf to have several people doing so already, you magnificent hardcorez!). Interesting times.

danthefan

Also in Europe here, the main thing for me is the games available and I much prefer Sony first party stuff to MS first party stuff, so there's basically no realistic price at which I would have chosen the XOne.

foxbeldin

I just wouldn't.
I would probably pick it up additionnaly to my ps4 (later for, let's say, 250), but not over it, because i'm really happy with the price/performance balance the PS4 delivers.

Top Bottom