• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

lttp: xenoblade

zkylon

zkylewd
so, i had enough of these dumb sidequests and went ahead and beat xenoblade. didn't finish up rebuilding colony 6 or got any of the monado copies or did all the love meeting thingies but i feel i wasn't gonna anyways. i'm not really the completionist type and i'm not really playing this series for that reason

been chronicling some of my progress of the xeno series in the steam thread, starting with xenosaga (xenogears is one of my favorite games and i've already beaten it a couple times) and now xenoblade, tho not all that much on the latter since i feel the game is repetitive enough that you run out of things to say about it past some time.

hard to set a final feeling for this one, it was certainly not what i hoped it'd be (even tho it randomly gets all evangelion-like at the very end, which i very much appreciate) and it's full of the many things i hate about modern gaming (like the mmo/assassins creed timewaster megaton of quests) but it had enough memorable moments and characters that i stuck with it, so it wasn't so bad. i mean, i played it for 100 hours, and while i already regret a whole bunch of them wasted on boring fetch quests, i liked most of it and now i can't help but feel a bit sad there's no more xeno games for me to play.

and xenosaga, man, thinking back i may actually like it even more than xenogears. maybe it's characters having voices and being all animated and shit and every game in the series having more cutscenes than all metal gears combined but it was just unforgettable and it just wraps up in such a comforting way i get happy just thinking about it. i wrote a ton about xenosaga in the steam thread already but i have a hard time thinking another game that achieved the same scale of events and characters and concepts, even if i personally think its plot is pretty much excellently dressed up nonsense.

but like, that's exactly what i want of those games, it's what enamored me about xenogears, an insane mix of ideas and concepts narrated through a lovable cast
with MECHAS
. xenoblade unfortunately didn't fully commit and i guess it's a different audience and it's not really a fault of the game, but as such it ends up being my least favorite xeno game, and the only one i don't think of as great.

i guess that 'x' game for wii u sounds pretty beast, what with the xenogears style logo and everything, but you know, i probably won't ever buy a wii u and emulating takes years.

so that's it, i could really go on how i think the boredlands balance system of YOU MISS EVERY ATTACK ON AN ENEMY 5 LEVELS ABOVE YOU is bullshit, or how the soundtrack is amazing, or how reyn is a total bro, dunban is a character out of gurren lagann and the entire nopon race is the cutest thing ever, but i think that's been covered already. this is just my opinion on how blade stands in comparison with the other xeno games and how it affected me personally

anyways, discuss, opine, etc! i don't make threads often (i think my last one was for drakengard) and i probably should've made this as i played it but here we are :)

ps: messed up switching items from character to character in the equipment screen before going into the final boss and melia spent the whole ending scene with no pants lol. i wanted to get some swimsuits on in typical xenosaga fashion but they're so awful in stats in this game it just feels wrong.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
ps: messed up switching items from character to character in the equipment screen before going into the final boss and melia spent the whole ending scene with no pants lol. i wanted to get some swimsuits on in typical xenosaga fashion but they're so awful in stats in this game it just feels wrong.

wKfqT.png

Jawmuncher

I haven't played any of the Xeno games but Xenoblade will end up being my first.
I started playing it awhile back but didn't get to far, but I liked some of the tone I saw in the game early on
That robot stabbing the girl was unexpected
. I However I have a feeling if I were to play them all that i would as well like Xenosaga the most. Probably for much the same reasons you stated especially the cutscenes. Which is something that never bothers me.

zkylon

zkylewd
I haven't played any of the Xeno games but Xenoblade will end up being my first.
I started playing it awhile back but didn't get to far, but I liked some of the tone I saw in the game early on
That robot stabbing the girl was unexpected
. I However I have a feeling if I were to play them all that i would as well like Xenosaga the most. Probably for much the same reasons you stated especially the cutscenes. Which is something that never bothers me.
yea i'm not really pro or against cutscenes and xenosaga has A LOT of them, which depending the part of the game is a good or a bad thing (the first 10 hours of xenosaga having like 30 actual minutes of gameplay is pretty brutal) but you know, in the end it works

i really appreciate something about all three xeno series and that's that they're games that take their time. it's not a rollercoaster, it methodically introduces its world and characters and allows itself a slower pacing than most games. i know a lot of people that dropped xenogears at the forest or the prison and you know, these games are just gonna spend as much time as they feel is necessary to build up relationships and stuff. even if these characters aren't perfectly rounded or have tons of layers of depth they're still more developed than most.

also xenoblade has a couple more plot twists like that (the one you mentioned surprised me too, and probably everyone), story is actually pretty effective, just less ambitious

Arthea

so that's it, i could really go on how i think the boredlands balance system of YOU MISS EVERY ATTACK ON AN ENEMY 5 LEVELS ABOVE YOU is bullshit, or how the soundtrack is amazing, or how reyn is a total bro, dunban is a character out of gurren lagann and the entire nopon race is the cutest thing ever, but i think that's been covered already. this is just my opinion on how blade stands in comparison with the other xeno games and how it affected me personally

At least we agree on this one! I hate such limitations and methods of balance in singleplay games.

It overstays its welcome, combat is boring, characters are just bad, ya, all of them, story is not that good, but passable.
On the bright side, it has a nice world, soundtrack and I liked picking junk... only don't like imposed limits on how much of said junk I can pick.

Also I think that crafting gems was totally waisted in this game by
running naked being like 120% more effective than any other way

edited: forgot to scold you for blaspheming, Xenogears is still the best of them Xeno bunch.

zkylon

zkylewd
At least we agree on this one! I hate such limitations and methods of balance in singleplay games.
yea, i don't really like loot games so i was off a bad start with boredlands but i really really really hate not being able to go where i want because LEVELS

wasn't much different in xenoblade's case, but xenoblade's combat actually hinted at having some depth and customization and whatnot but in the end it being just a level check. which is sad, since one of the many things i really liked about the xenosaga series was how i managed to beat it while being really underleveled by just you know, spending some time with its mechanics

It overstays its welcome, combat is boring, characters are just bad, ya, all of them, story is not that good, but passable.
On the bright side, it has a nice world, soundtrack and I liked picking junk... only don't like imposed limits on how much of said junk I can pick.
i can't agree that all the characters are bad, they're cartoony but not bad (with a few exceptions). but i liked reyn, melia, dunban, alvis and fiora a lot, riki was fun but super dumb (i know you hate him but i dunno, nopons are really irresistible for me and get me all AWWWW), and sharla was hot when wearing glasses. egil is a good villain, tho unfortunately he's introduced too late in the game. the smaller characters are also pretty ok, dickson, melia's family, otharon, sharla's husband, that crazy bad guy from dunban's past, i liked things in all of them. not juju tho. fuck juju.

shulk unfortunately is a soulless husk of a character but you know, jrpg protagonists are often this way.

Also I think that crafting gems was totally waisted in this game by
running naked being like 120% more effective than any other way
lol i actually put on heavy armor on a lot of my characters because it looked the coolest/less dumb

armor design in this game is really bad lol

edited: forgot to scold you for blaspheming, Xenogears is still the best of them Xeno bunch.
well i don't ever marry to any of my "rankings", but right now i think i like saga more. they're still two of my favorite games and i have "my village is number one" as an alarm on my cellphone and everything

Top Bottom