• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
How the fuck do I get this item?

pOHM0Y7.jpg

It's annoying the crap out of me.

It's behind the big black door that requires you to produce the symbol of the king.

Thanks. I assumed it was beyond a doorway in the salamander pit so when I finally come back and go down there only to find out there's no doorway I got super frustrated.

Also, what's up with all the Pharros doors in
Grave of Saints?
I assume that most of them don't do anything and just waste your locks?

Levyne

Banned
Thanks. I assumed it was beyond a doorway in the salamander pit so when I finally come back and go down there only to find out there's no doorway I got super frustrated.

Grave of Saints?

A lot of them are t
raps. I was summoned a lot by the covenant members and always had to avoid them all to get to the host.

Grave of Saints?

They're
traps that the Brodents use to gank trespassers that they pull into their worlds.

Jonm1010

Banned
I'm about three hours into this game and it already pisses me off in a way none of the other games did.

Who in their right fucking mind thought that it was a good idea to quit spawning enemies after X number of times???

Goddamn stupidest fucking decision they could of made.

I'm struggling to beat enemies in a certain area so I try and boost a couple stats by grabbing some souls but because I am weak I end up dying. I then end up dying before I can recollect my souls and low and behold the enemies disappear and now I have to delve further into the level, still under prepared and now fighting even tougher enemies and in tougher situations.

If my particular approach to a difficult situation is trying to improve my player why am I punished for that style of play?

The brilliance behind the game was the strategy you could develop on your own to defeat enemies, the adaption to new scenarios, surviving the environment of the levels, the openness of your exploration, the multiplayer and multitude of ways you could approach the situations. The difficulty of the game was a product of that, not the starting point and only focal point. As of now this game seems to ignore most of that in favor of just trying to be hard for hardnesses sake and not understanding that complexities and balance of what makes the souls series great.

I hope I'm missing something with my early impression because as of right now I am regretting spending $49 on this game.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'm shit at the game and I haven't seen respawns stop. I was worried about it when I read it, but I haven't in into it nor have I felt the need to grind levels like I did in the first, since you get so many souls and levels cost a lot less now

zkylon

zkylewd
really the respawning thing isn't so bad, tho it makes it really painful when you fuck up and miss a ton of souls

i've lost like 80k souls in iron keep by being dumb and not taking my time when rushing to get my bloodstains and it's really sad that i won't ever get 'em back

at least in dks1 you knew you could farm them back.

but you know, at the same time, it really takes a long while before they stop respawning

Levyne

Banned
I've noticed spawns stop in both the Bastille and the Iron Keep. Both started occurring as I failed some platforming over and over :p

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
What merchant sells fragrance branch of yore again? I need like, a 4th one or something for that lion blocking some items

Kalnos

Banned
I'm finding it really hard to come up with something to say other than 'git gud' if you have killed the enemies enough times for them to despawn and are still struggling.

Just throw down your summon sign if you really want to 'farm'.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Any reason not to murder every npc before starting NG+? I'm still a long way from it but was wondering

I came across a big ass
scorpion man NPC
in the Shaded Woods. what do I do to have him talk to me and what does he do? I forgot to go back after killing the area boss.

I'm about one hour into this game and it already pisses me off in a way none of the other games did.

Who in their right fucking mind thought that it was a good idea to quit spawning enemies after X number of times???

I'm struggling to beat enemies in a certain area so I try and boost a couple stats by grabbing some souls but because I am weak I end up dying. I then end up dying before I can recollect my souls and low and behold the enemies disappear and now I have to delve further into the level, still under prepared and now fighting even tougher enemies and in tougher situations.

If my particular approach to a difficult situation is trying to improve my player why am I punished for that style of play?

The brilliance behind the game was the strategy you could develop on your own to defeat enemies, the adaption to new scenarios, surviving the environment of the levels, the multiplayer and multitude of ways you could approach the situations. As of now this game seems to ignore that in favor of just trying to be hard for hardnesses sake and not understanding that complexities and balance of what makes the souls series great.

I hope I'm missing something with my early impression because as of right now I am regretting spending $49 on this game.

Don't you need to kill an enemy 12+ times for it to disappear? Even before then you should be more than ok on souls to invest unless you're really messing up how you're spending them. Besides, the Souls games have never been about stats, at least, not in terms of being super impactful. It's always been upgrading weapons/armor that really affect damage dealt/taken.

But even then the first area in the game is pretty easy, enemies don't take too many hits and the first boss is significantly easier than Taurus Demon was in Dark Souls. You could always go to another area. Even though it's a bit harder, there are only a few enemies in that area and once you learn to fight them they're super easy. Don't focus so much on your stats, just take your time and play through slowly.

Uthred

I havent hit the respawn limit, which is 12 iirc, "naturally" yet. At one or two bonfires I cleared enemies that were very close to it but thats about it. I like the fact it makes losing souls more painful, being able to quickly farm back what you lost (especially if you cheesed it with Darkroot Garden etc.) in DS ended up making it feel like losing souls ultimately didnt matter.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I'm about three hours into this game and it already pisses me off in a way none of the other games did.

I just finished the game at 26 hours playtime and did not encounter despawning enemies once other than some big miniboss enemies that only appear once and phantoms. And at any rate, the despawning enemies are there to help you so you can get to the boss easier; it's perfectly valid to critique of course, I think it's kind of pointless, but I highly doubt it was ever meant as a punishment.

You're only a few hours in. The enemies have pretty limited movesets. Always remember that these are games which can be beaten without leveling up a single time, you can make it work.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The controls for this game for dual-wielding are ultimately pretty different than the other two. I can understand how if you're using a shield, you might not have even noticed much difference, but for dual-wielding any weapons of any type things have really changed, especially where parrying/riposte and switching from dual to two-handing are concerned.

I hadn't really seen the new controls explained, even on the Wiki, so I noted it down myself... things in bold are things I believe are new to DS2 partially or entirely.

(When dual-wielding)
RB- Right light attack
RT- Right strong attack (parry with rapier)
LB- Left light attack
LT - Left strong attack (regardless of weapon except for parrying dagger/rapier)
Forward + RB - Right guard break
Forward + LB - Left guard break
Forward + RT - Right leaping attack
Forward + LT - Left leaping attack
B + RB - Right step-up attack
B + LB - Left step-up attack

Roll + RB - Right rolling attack
Roll + LB - Left rolling attack
Run + RB - Right running attack
Run + LB - Left running attack

Y - Two-hand right weapon

(While two-handing right weapon)
RB - Light attack
RT - Strong attack
LB - Block
LT - Parry (most if not all weapons)

Hold Y (without the requirements for power stance) - Two-hand left weapon

(While two-handing left weapon)
LB - Light attack
LT - Strong attack
RB - Block
RT - Parry (most if not all weapons)

Backstabs and ripostes can only be performed with the right weapon (RB), so if you parry while two-handing your left weapon, you need to switch before riposte.

For power stance, must have 1.5x each stat requirement of the higher of the two component weapons, rounding down. 10 str 9 dex would be 15 str 13 dex.

Hold Y (meeting requirements for power stance) - Power stance

(While in power stance)
All attacks for both left and right are the same except
LB - Dual light attack
LT - Dual strong attack

The attack animations are determined by the "bigger" of the two weapon types. They are generally very good, but use a lot of stamina.

By switching between power stance, regular stance, and two-handing the right weapon (including for parries), and remembering the extra moves available on the left hand you really have a ton of options at any given time, and it's rather easy to suddenly become a whirling bladed mass of death provided you have the stamina.

It's a lot to get used to, but ultimately I think this game has the best controls of the three for dual-wielding.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Any reason not to murder every npc before starting NG+? I'm still a long way from it but was wondering

Invaders, and you don't really need most of their items?

The brilliance behind the game was the strategy you could develop on your own to defeat enemies, the adaption to new scenarios, surviving the environment of the levels, the openness of your exploration, the multiplayer and multitude of ways you could approach the situations. The difficulty of the game was a product of that, not the starting point and only focal point. As of now this game seems to ignore most of that in favor of just trying to be hard for hardnesses sake and not understanding that complexities and balance of what makes the souls series great.

Jolly Co-op for Soul Farming. You can be summoned as a Shade (and non-Shade, IIRC) even as a human. Put that sign down no matter what and you don't have to worry about the "despawn" limit.

Aaron

Regular enemies aren't worth killing for souls. Put down your summon sign, help someone beat a boss, and get a big soul pay day for almost no work.

Varna

Another primal bonfire lit. Is there still a sizable portion of game after defeating the
four old ones?

These bosses have been really easy so far.

I don't mind the despawning enemies to be honest. That soul memory bull shit makes it so I want as few souls as possible for anything. Wish there was a ring that cut back on souls gained.

Kalnos

Banned
Another primal bonfire lit. Is there still a sizable portion of game after defeating the
four old ones?

I don't mind the despawning enemies to be honest. That soul memory bull shit makes it so I want as few souls as possible for anything. Wish there was a ring that cut back on souls gained.

Yeah, there's still quite a bit of content. That's like 1/2ish.

lunlunqq

four old ones?

You are about
half way through.

You'll need to get the Ring of Whispers
from Shalquoir the cat in Majula.

So it isn't a hidden covenant or anything, right?

Also, does the first covenant (the one in Majula that makes it NG+ difficulty) count for achievements? I'm working on getting them all for GMG money. Earned about $3 so far, Playfire's awesome.

Gazoinks

I feel like my pace is starting to speed up. Just finished
Iron Keep,
although I've got to go back to get the lava treasure (*sigh*). I think that was my favorite level so far. Real cool trappy feel, another one that felt a little like a Zelda temple to me, which is good because I always wanted the first game to have more areas that felt like that. Boss was kind of underwhelming though.

I feel like my pace is starting to speed up. Just finished
Iron Keep,
although I've got to go back to get the lava treasure (*sigh*). I think that was my favorite level so far. Real cool trappy feel, another one that felt a little like a Zelda temple to me, which is good because I always wanted the first game to have more areas that felt like that. Boss was kind of underwhelming though.

Unfortunately most of the bosses in DkS2 seems to fall under three categories:

1) Big versions of little monsters
2) Horde battles
3) Bullshit

or even all of the above. It's a shame because in DkS1 I felt almost every boss was an awesome hurdle to overcome.

Gazoinks

Unfortunately most of the bosses in DkS2 seems to fall under three categories:

1) Big versions of little monsters
2) Horde battles
3) Bullshit

or even all of the above. It's a shame because in DkS1 I felt almost every boss was an awesome hurdle to overcome.

It's funny, because I thought Demon's had better bosses overall than Dark. It just keeps going down! :p I did really like the Chariot though. Unique concept, felt really cool. Shame about the glitched hiding place.

It's funny, because I thought Demon's had better bosses overall than Dark. It just keeps going down! :p I did really like the Chariot though. Unique concept, felt really cool. Shame about the glitched hiding place.

I'm only as far as Harvest Valley (I'm thinking that it leads to the Iron Keep I hear so much about) but so far most of the bosses are a disappointment.

Good thing the game itself is so good! Also,
Royal Rat Authority
can go fuck itself.

You sound exactly like I did when I started. I've restarted, now on my third try I'm farthest so far(No Man's Wharf). I would recommend using the knowledge you've gained to restart and hopefully make a better foundation for your next attempt.

It's still very frustrating, moreso than Dark Souls ever was for me. In the tower after the forest I quickly found myself at half health permanently due to losing so many times. However, I got through that area, even at half health and there's a ring there that
then halves the death penalty, and one that lets you keep your souls but breaks. Now I'm still at my most reduced health so
I don't care if I die as long as I get my souls back.

I would say this game is much harder than DS1 also, but stick with it.(Though I'll probably give up eventually)

Still hate the enemies ice skating and strafe locking their animations to kill me though. Really really amateur From.

mannerbot

I'm only as far as Harvest Valley (I'm thinking that it leads to the Iron Keep I hear so much about) but so far most of the bosses are a disappointment.

Good thing the game itself is so good! Also,
Royal Rat Authority
can go fuck itself.

I'm pretty deep into the game and I agree that the bosses have been disappointing.

I've noticed spawns stop in both the Bastille and the Iron Keep. Both started occurring as I failed some platforming over and over :p

Enemies start despawning everywhere after ~10-15 kills. The way to get them back is to use a Bonfire Ascetic at the relevant bonfire, except the catch is the enemies and boss all respawn, but in NG+ difficulty. The effect carries over to NG+, so use carefully.

Broank

I think I had Majula like NG+8 by the time I first beat the game. When I tried to kill Licia so I could get her hood before starting again. . hooooo boy . . was that ever a battle. lol

Booshka

Just wanted to pimp my Twitch stream I just started messing around with. Bare bones at the moment, with no mic or webcam action, but I will try to monitor chat and hopefully provide some entertaining gameplay. My quality is mediocre because of my Upload, 480p at 1500kb/s. But it runs pretty smooth and consistent I think. Any comments or suggestions are welcome. Please give the channel a follow and come check it out.

http://twitch.tv/booshka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom