• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, I want to buy a PSP and need advice!

MrT-Tar

I feel somewhat embarrassed. I'm a huge JRPG fan and portable gamer, yet I've never actually owned a PSP. During 2005-8, I regularly borrowed my cousin's, but for one reason or another I never actually invested in one; I guess my 7th gen combo of DS, Wii and PS3 fulfilled my gaming needs. However, now I want one.

By why now? I've just finished university and will be starting a well-paid graduate job in London in September. I've also secured a good temporary job until then. Equally, I can't see myself getting a PS4 for a while (this time next year at the earliest) as I'm only really interesting in Bloodborne, FFXV and KH3 so far; I'm willing to use some of the money I had set aside for one towards something else gaming related. Finally, my handheld backlog has recently been fully cleared and due to delays and PS3 winding down, my list of upcoming purchases is smaller than it could be (My only day 1 purchases for the rest of the year are Tales of Xillia 2, Bayonetta 2, both Smash Bros, Pokemon Omega Ruby and SMTIV if it finally sees a PAL release). Basically, my finances look securer and 2014 doesn't look quite as packed gaming-wise as I expected.

However, due to being out of the loop in regards to the PSP, I have several questions:

1. Which Model? The PSP 3000 looks and sounds great, but I've heard stories about scanline issues. How major are these? Have these been overstated?

2. What size memory card would gaf recommend? I don't plan on doing much downloading, but I always prefer on go on the side of caution when it comes to capacity and space.

3. What fighters come recommended? I enjoy the genre, but have the home console entries of most of the series which featured on the PSP (the exceptions being Guilty Gear and Darkstalkers). Are the PSP Tekken, DoA, etc worth it if I already have the home console versions?

4. Just over five years ago, I imported an NTSC PSX to play games like Final Fantasy Tactics, Valkyrie Profile, Tales of Eternia, Tactics Ogre, etc which didn't see UK releases. These examples all have PSP ports, are they worth a purchase if I own the original and want to replay them?

5. What 'MH clones' are recommended? I loved MH3 on the Wii and am eagerly anticipating 4. Phantasy Star Portable looks good and I'm keen to try God Eater (I just finished Project X Zone last night). Keep in mind that chances are I'll be playing single player only.

6. I remember reading that a fan translation for FF Type 0 has been released? How do I go about using this to play a Japanese copy in English? Do I need anything else other than a PSP and a copy of the game?

7. I've heard lots about Trails in the Sky, does it come recommended?

8. Given I in particular like JRPGs, fighters and platformers, what games should I look out for?

I understand that this is a lot of questions and I certainly don't expect everybody to be able to help with every single one, but I'm pretty uninformed about the PSP. Thanks in advance.

tldr: Despite its library overlapping with my gaming tastes, I've never owned a PSP. I have the above questions.

/ Rain

Banned
#1: I recommend the 2000 model. Do NOT think about the phat or GO models.

#2: It's really up to you. I had two memory cards, one is 4 and the other was 8 gigabytes. They were sufficent especially since I delete most games I finish.

#3: Consider Mortal Kombat. It was really enjoyable.

#4: VP: Lenneth is definitely worth it!

#6: I think you have to have a CFW for the translation to work..

#8: Consider Crisis Core, Jeanne d'Arc, The 3rd birthday, Silent Hill Origins & Shattered Memories.

1: I own the 3000 and it's fine. Better than the original for sure. Never seen a 2000 so I can't compare them, but the screen is fine.
5: Try MGS Peace Walker if you've not played the HD version. It's different than Monster Hunter but shares a similar design, and is different than the other Metal Gear games.
8: Definitely try Dissidia Duodecim. I'll assume you've heard of it, but if not it's an RPG fighter set in a universe that combines the protagonist and villain of the mainline Final Fantasy games.

Also, unless I'm mistaken, the PSP Dead or Alive isn't a fighting game.

SScorpio

I'd recommend a PSP Go and whatever else you can get cheap. Throw a softmod CFW on both, and you can use the cheap system as a ripper to grab images of games that are only available as disk, or that you get dirt cheap used copies.

Some people hate the PSP Go, but it's smaller form factor makes it a great portable. Big issue with it is that some major games are disk only, FFVII:CC, and KH:BBS. Using CFW which is copying a few files from your computer and then selecting the CFW in the game list to activate it temporarily.

Since you have a PS3 already, you can also pair a DS3 to it, and with an additional cable you can play the games on a TV with a wireless DS3.

gaiages

Banned
2. You really don't need a big one; I have an 8GB memory card for my PSP, with a few games downloaded on it, and I don't see it filling up anytime soon.

3. The only fighter I have for the system is Darkstalkers Chronicles. I've always been one to prefer fighters on the big screen with a controller, so I haven't tried any others. I can't say whether I'd recommend Darkstalkers or not yet, since I haven't tried it. ._.

4. FFT: War of the Lions is more of a remake than a port, and fixes a lot of stuff wrong with the original, so I'd recommend that is you want a replay. Tactics Ogre was well received. Valkyrie Profile and Tales of Eternia are still sitting in my PSP backlog. Don't forget about Breath of Fire III, in terms of ports!

5. My boyfriend greatly enjoyed what he played of Gods Eater Burst; however, he always played MH type games with friends.

6. Technically you don't need anything else, but you'll have to jump through some hoops to get the English patch to apply. I'd suggest taking a look at the project page and seeing what you have to do. (Sorry for not linking it, there may be a rule against it)

7. It's a pretty great game. It's also going to release on Steam (as will the second game), so you may want to keep that in mind.

8. Here's some recommendations:
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
Z.H.P.
Disgaea 1 and 2 remakes
Department Heaven titles (Yggdra Union, Riviera, Gungnir)
Persona 3 Portable
Final Fantasy Dissidia deodecim
Star Ocean remakes (First Departure and Second Evolution)
If you like ARPGs, the Ys titles (Seven, Oath and Felghana, I&II Chronicles... the latter two are also available on Steam. Stay away from the PSP Ark of Napishtim)

I feel most of that wasn't terribly helpful, but hey.

Renpatsu

Most 2000 models in addition to not having a scanline issue also have a nice range in terms of CFW flexibility, if that is of any consideration.

Either way a 2k or 3k model are your best options hardware-wise.

For your memory card pick up a micro SD to pro duo adaptor as it'll be far cheaper and much larger capacity than if you go otherwise.

Edit: Since you like fighters pick up Tekken Dark Ressurection as it has great gameplay variety (6 is great, but bare bones by comparison); Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max is also a pretty great portable version.

If you're pretty serious about your fighters look into dpad covers to help with the controls.

Purchase FFT:WOTL and apply the patch (using CFW) to have the best version of the game with zero slowdown.

For platformers be sure to pick up LocoRoco 2 as that is a vastly expanded sequel compared to the original.

For a puzzler pick up Crush (the PSP ver is the best ver of that game).

For RPGs as you've noted Trials is great, also consider any of the Persona releases, Star Ocean duology and Half Minute Hero.

Your local thrift store should have UMDs for cheap at the moment, but prices are rising for the rare games.

IMPORTANT if you're buying used, but make sure the analogy or any of the buttons are in working order. You don't want to find out too late that the analog stick drifts on its own or the R button is stuck.

1. The 2000 model is the best. I still have mine to this very day.

2. I would go with an 8 gig. Even if you were to download games, psp games are not that large. Most are probably the same size as 3ds games.

3. Never really played 'traditional' fighting games on psp, but ff dissidia was a good one.

4. Some, not all. The psp iteration of tactics ogre for example is a remaster with new features and updated sprites. Eternia on the other hand was the same game that launched on the psx.

5. God eater burst is the latest one available for psp I believe.

6. You're gonna need cfw.

7. Never played, but I've heard good things

8. Crisis core, Daxter, ratchet and clank, both dissidia games, jean d'arc (soo good), wild arms xf, lunar silver star harmony, ys seven, brave story, persona 3 fes, just to name a few.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Don't over pay for a PSP model. I personally like the 3000 model, but if you don't mind digital stuff it might be a better bargain to just get a vita.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
1. Which Model? The PSP 3000 looks and sounds great, but I've heard stories about scanline issues. How major are these? Have these been overstated?

PSP2000 is best but 3000 is still good.

Just stay away from PSP Go it is a hand-cramp machine and will kill your hands and fingers.

2. What size memory card would gaf recommend? I don't plan on doing much downloading, but I always prefer on go on the side of caution when it comes to capacity and space.

go 8gb

5. What 'MH clones' are recommended? I loved MH3 on the Wii and am eagerly anticipating 4. Phantasy Star Portable looks good and I'm keen to try God Eater (I just finished Project X Zone last night). Keep in mind that chances are I'll be playing single player only.

God Eater.

Yup. it is good.

8. Given I in particular like JRPGs, fighters and platformers, what games should I look out for?

get Gurumin a Monstrous Adventure (a Japanese Action RPG/Platformer hybrid from Falcom) it is the best PSP game of all time.

RalchAC

Go for a memory stick pro duo to microSD adapter. They're quite cheap (like 2-4€) and you could put whatever you want there.

God Eater Burst is quite good, but the game controls aren't that good due to the lack of a second analog stick. It's perfectly playable but not ideal. You'll play it like this!

url.jpg

6. I remember reading that a fan translation for FF Type 0 has been released? How do I go about using this to play a Japanese copy in English? Do I need anything else other than a PSP and a copy of the game?

There is a thread in NeoGAF where you could find everything you need to know. And if anything is missing you can ask there!

- Persona 3 Portable even if you've played the PS2 version (that Female MC). There is Persona 1 and 2 on the PSP too.
- Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII. Great handheld game, only available at retail.
- Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep if you aren't buying the HD Collection.
- I think there is a fan translation of Valkyria Chronicles 3 already released. People say it's much better than VC2 so if you like the franchise you can't go wrong with it.
- Buy some of the Ys PSP games. Seven is the newest one on the PSP.

Jacqli

Don't over pay for a PSP model. I personally like the 3000 model, but if you don't mind digital stuff it might be a better bargain to just get a vita.
I think buying a PSP is a better option than a vita, because many games are not on the store (and they will never be), apart from those in which you need a PS3 to transfer them.
PSP should be cheap nowadays and Memory sticks are much cheaper than vita memory cards. I have a 2000 model and highly recommend it (it is so light!), also Jeanne d'Arc is incredible if you are into SRPG.

Enjoy this great handheld!

I think buying a PSP is a better option than a vita, because many games are not on the store (and they will never be), apart from those in which you need a PS3 to transfer them.
PSP should be cheap nowadays and Memory sticks are much cheaper than vita memory cards. I have a 2000 model and highly recommend it (it is so light!), also Jeanne d'Arc is incredible if you are into SRPG.

Enjoy this great handheld!

I've actually been considering a Vita vs PSP for a while now. Not sure I'll ever wind up buying either, but what in your opinion are the best games that aren't on the store? Just so I have an idea of what I'd be missing out on if I went Vita (of course the advantage of getting a Vita is that you always get access to Vita games).

Does the 3000 have less ghosting than the 2000's screen?

I have a (admittedly shitty, half busted) 2000,but the screen on it is really bad about ghosting.

meppi

Whatever you decide, just make sure to not wait for too long. As the systems are getting really hard to find new, unless you are okay with the Street model which is all right, but certainly not as nice as the 3000.
The screen on the 3000 is perfectly fine btw. Each version has it's ups and downs, but in the end you can't really do much wrong.

Those PSone RPG remakes are well worth it IMO. They aren't just quick ports for the most part, so go crazy!

As for a memory card I'd go with a 32GB Micro SD coupled with a Pro Duo Adaptor.
Might come in handy for emulation.
Talking about this, install Custom Firmware 6.60-Pro-C2 on it and grab the Capcom CPS1&2 packs on it to play all of these as well as these classics on it! :)

Trails in the Sky is brilliant, so yes, get it.
As for Monster Hunter clones, just go with the originals: Monster Hunter Freedom, Freedom 2 and Freedom Unite. And if you're feeling adventurous, go for the import only 3rd Portable as well.

Renpatsu

Does the 3000 have less ghosting than the 2000's screen?

I have a (admittedly shitty, half busted) 2000,but the screen on it is really bad about ghosting.
That was always the trade off if I recall. 2k has some ghosting and no scanlines. 3k is brighter, less ghosting, but introduces scanlines.
So personal preference at the end of the day.

Shizuka

I'm gonna suggest Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time, Fate/Extra and Corpse Party, along with the already suggested Trails in the Sky.

That was always the trade off if I recall. 2k has some ghosting and no scanlines. 3k is brighter, less ghosting, but introduces scanlines.
So personal preference at the end of the day.
Cool, I think I'd be happy with scan lines if it has less ghosting.

There's actually a Fred Meyer near me that still has a few brand new 3000s.

In a perfect world the Playstation Network would have ALL PSP games available for download and I could just use my Vita as the ultimate PSP system, but there's enough that aren't on PSN that I do want a better quality PSP.

Jacqli

Imru’ al-Qays;117711809 said:
I've actually been considering a Vita vs PSP for a while now. Not sure I'll ever wind up buying either, but what in your opinion are the best games that aren't on the store? Just so I have an idea of what I'd be missing out on if I went Vita (of course the advantage of getting a Vita is that you always get access to Vita games).
Sorry, I should have used "some" instead of "many", I wrote that post quickly.
And then I think this also depends on where you live. Jeanne d'Arc is compatible with Vita, but it does not appear on European store and you need a PS3 (Castlevania also does not appear, or Ultimate Ghost and Goblins). Fate Unlimited Codes (and any that was pulled out that you cannot longer buy, but perhaps it is compatible like this case), Silent Hill Origins, Kingdom Hearts, Gradius Collection, Star Ocean, Crisis Core, Valkyrie Profile came to my mind (plus PSX games, but I cannot say much of those, not really interested), if you want Japanese games (Monster Hunter 3rd for example) then you need a Japanese account and the exchange system on Vita is... not comfortable to say the least (without taking into account those great translations made by fans).
If you want a Vita mainly to play psp games on that screen, then I would recommend a PSP even though you will miss that OLED/LCD (and UMD is the worst). If you want a Vita for Vita games and some PSP games, then I would go for a Vita for sure. You can play Corpse Party on both, so... :p

OgaKratos

OP, why don't you go with a Playstation vita to scratch your hand held gaming itch? Psps have been phased out. The vita on the other hand still has loads of games in development for it. Some are even cross buy with the ps3. My advice is get a vita and sign up for ps plus immediately. Plus gives two free games for the vita, ps3 and ps4 respectively making a total of 6 games. Not a bad deal for $50 a year if you ask me.

Accoun

3. What fighters come recommended? I enjoy the genre, but have the home console entries of most of the series which featured on the PSP (the exceptions being Guilty Gear and Darkstalkers). Are the PSP Tekken, DoA, etc worth it if I already have the home console versions?

4. Just over five years ago, I imported an NTSC PSX to play games like Final Fantasy Tactics, Valkyrie Profile, Tales of Eternia, Tactics Ogre, etc which didn't see UK releases. These examples all have PSP ports, are they worth a purchase if I own the original and want to replay them?

2. If you really don't plan on downloading much, then 8 GB or even less should be enough, even with a rare download and install. However, if you're going to have CFW, you might want to just dump the UMDs on your memory card and here I would recommend getting something bigger. I personally have 2 x 16 GB in a dual MicroSD to MemoryStick adapter. I think you can go even bigger, but I have never tried it and don't know the eventual limit.

3. Honestly don't know. I don't have a PS3 anymore so it's the only way for me if I want a match of Tekken. I guess if you want Tekken on the go, it would be worth it. Or if you don't have T5DR on PS3 (can you even get it off PSS anymore?) and feel nostalgic over Tekken 5. :3
Anyway, about DOA - it's not a fighter, it's basically Extreme Beach Volleyball, but without the actual volleyball. Don't bother.

4. As far as I know, FFT and TO are supposed to have their best versions on PSP, especially the latter has some graphical/balance changes. Although FFT has some strange slowdowns, but they are patchable if you have CFW. There should be a thread on GAF for it.

JRPG: Persona 3 Portable (if you've played it already on PS2, it has a new route with a female MC) Valkyria Chronicles 3 with fan translation, Jeanne D'arc, maybe Fate/Extra if you're into the series. Half-Minute Hero, if you haven't played it already.
Platformers: Prinny series, n+

Other: Lumines, Ridge Racer 2, Holy Invasion Of Privacy, Badman!, Wipeout Pure/Pulse, Corpse Party, MGS Peace Walker (if you didn't play it from the HD edition), Initial D Street Stage (Japan import), Motorstorm Arctic Edge, DJMAX Portable (3 is available digitally in the West, although it's considered not as good as the previous ones. It's not bad either, though. You can import the rest. The second one I think is considered the best).

NolbertoS

Tagging this thread as its useful. I use to own a PSP 1000, 2000 and 3000. My ex took my PSP 1000, so left with the 2 and 3K for now.

MrT-Tar

Thanks for all the replies, they've been really helpful. I had forgotten a few games I'll definitely pick up (BoF III, Lunar remake, Jean d'Arc, Lumines) as well as some I was unaware of (Corpse Party and Gurumin).

Also, what kind of battery life can I expect from the different models. I'm currently leaning towards the 3000.

Yes yes and yes.

I can't remember playing such a simple RPG with such an amazing main cast (two characters) There are other that join the party, but its the main cast that you will love and will make you stay.

Seriously, get it. One of my favorite games of all time.

What do you guys think is a fair price to purchase a 2000 model PSP that's in fantastic condition without a scratch? I have one that I purchased new, still have the original box, and some games/UMD movies that I'm thinking of selling to put towards a new computer. I'll miss Crisis Core, but it's honestly just sitting on my shelf right now (in a fancy logitech shell case).

rjc571

Banned
Your first order of business should be to buy Prinny and Mega Man Powered Up. Everything else you can worry about later.

Voliko

I highly recommend Growlanser Wayfarer of Time for an excellent traditional JRPG experience, and Gungnir for SRPG. Gungnir is a bit overwhelming at first, but it is hands down my favorite SRPG ever. The mechanics are just so good. Those are my two favorite PSP games. I say wait for Trails in the Sky to come out on PC before playing it.

A shame the PSP doesn't have that many good action games or platformers... The Prinny games and the Ghosts N' Goblins PSP game are pretty good.

If you do encounter analog nub issues, there are CFW plugins that can easily fix it, or failing that, replacement bubs available on eBay for like a dollar.

If you like action games, Castlevania X Chronicles is a great package.

Supast4r

#1: I recommend the 2000 model. Do NOT think about the phat or GO models.

#2: It's really up to you. I had two memory cards, one is 4 and the other was 8 gigabytes. They were sufficent especially since I delete most games I finish.

#3: Consider Mortal Kombat. It was really enjoyable.

#4: VP: Lenneth is definitely worth it!

#6: I think you have to have a CFW for the translation to work..

#8: Consider Crisis Core, Jeanne d'Arc, The 3rd birthday, Silent Hill Origins & Shattered Memories.
What this guy said but for rpgs consider: kingdom hearts birth by sleep, final fantasy crisis core, and the playstation 1 squaresoft games. For fighting games I recommend: street fighter alpha 3 max, darkstalkers, and dissida final fantasy ( which is a fighting game full of square Enix characters)

Renpatsu

Thanks for all the replies, they've been really helpful. I had forgotten a few games I'll definitely pick up (BoF III, Lunar remake, Jean d'Arc, Lumines) as well as some I was unaware of (Corpse Party and Gurumin).

Also, what kind of battery life can I expect from the different models. I'm currently leaning towards the 3000.

Depending on how you're going to be playing (full brightness, volume, wifi/adhoc, UMD/Memory stick etc) you'll typically see 4-7 hours of battery life.

There are also after market batteries that you can get to increase the battery capacity (need a different backplate because last I checked they were bigger than the system itself).

The 3000 definitely has scan lines but removing the awful ghosting is worth it IMO. I was able to get used to it fairly quickly so hopefully the same would be true for yourself.

Top Bottom