• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: Preview Update August 2014 (1408)

MCD

I rented Ryse yesterday, it promted me to a fucking 10gb update(Not MS fault) and i can't play it until it's updated? Wtf is that shit? This is my main problem with the Xbox One OS.
So i went to play Fifa while it was downloading that shit and when i was done it said it was ready, i launch the game and there's a progress bar like halfway done so i decide i'm going to bed, i turn it off thinking it's gonna be ready next morning and it's still fucking there. All these changes they keep doing are minimal and useless until they fix this shit.

Also it takes ages to go in and out of my friends list compared to the PS4. Everything takes too many steps compared to the Ps4 menu system.

settings, network, go offline or disconnect.

th4tguy

I'll probably be getting an Xbone this fall close to when the Halo Collection comes out. Glad to see they are really doing a lot to improve the UI.
Hoping Sony will take note and also incorporate some of these features.

link1201

Looks like it as far as I'm concerned. Thanks a lot, I hadn't caught all of it back then.:)

Sure no problem. I kind of wish they had more of these or at least have a few of the people working on the updates on Major nelson's podcast more often.

Activity feed updates: We’re adding new ways for you to interact with friends in the activity feed. The interface will change to a single column scrolling list that is longer and includes more content. We’ll add the ability to post text to your feed, and to “like” and comment on feed items. You can share game clips and anything else in the feed with friends either publically (to your activity feed) or privately (as an attachment to a message). You’ll also be notified when anyone likes, comments on or shares your items. Each user will get a personal feed on their profile, so you can see what specific friends have been up to. And, with SmartGlass, you can see what your friends have shared to their activity feed and “like” specific posts (additional activity feed support coming in future SmartGlass updates).
YES! Bye bye MTAF messages. I wont miss you.

Vyer

Someone said they sent me the preview invite but I never got one. If anyone has one to spare I'd appreciate it. I'm Vyer there as well.

Has anyone talked about the icons when he brings up the clip to share?

Comment
????????????

Its like a little hammer. They never explained that in the video

Loiselle

I've done this before, so why not do it again?

Follow me on XBL... Gamertag is "Breadfan 3" (please message me as well, with 'NeoGAF' in the message body), and I'll invite you into the program. Once I've invited you, it's up to Microsoft to get you in.

TrueGrime

Hey guys. just turned on my xbox via voice command and it booted up with a small white xbox logo and seems hung on there.

Is this updating or something else?

Majine

Banned
With Microsoft it does feel that the console that you own will evolve in fuctionality whereas with Sony and Nintendo, what you get is more or less the final product.

This.

If you send me that shit you fly off my list and are blocked forever.

I usually do, but I actually like playing with the couple guys on my list which do that... though they dont go insane with it and its usually them trying to organize Halo Customs which we do every week. Its just nice that we will now have a centralized location to look at instead of "Hey, I got a messa... -.-"

Bsigg12

Anybody miss voice msgs? Unless I'm dumb and can't find a way to do it

Some good stuff on updates

No not really. It was annoying after laying a beatdown on some randoms in Halo 3 and getting cursed out. It was funny the first few times but then it just got annoying.

Edit: Anyone who has asked me to invite them into the program up to this point has been invited.

Alx

Anybody miss voice msgs?

Not really, the only ones I got on the 360 were from random people I didn't know, and they were all inaudible. Mostly kids, too. I suppose they're meant to be easier to send than written messages, but I still prefer text (not that I send that many messages anyway).

Chitown B

I rented Ryse yesterday, it promted me to a fucking 10gb update(Not MS fault) and i can't play it until it's updated? Wtf is that shit? This is my main problem with the Xbox One OS.
So i went to play Fifa while it was downloading that shit and when i was done it said it was ready, i launch the game and there's a progress bar like halfway done so i decide i'm going to bed, i turn it off thinking it's gonna be ready next morning and it's still fucking there. All these changes they keep doing are minimal and useless until they fix this shit.

Also it takes ages to go in and out of my friends list compared to the PS4. Everything takes too many steps compared to the Ps4 menu system.

so you rented a game on disc, which needed an update (as many do), and you think that's broken?

I downloaded 45GB of Wolfenstein in about 4 hours. That's an average cable internet, 20/3.

Your download, if you have average/decent net, should've taken less than an hour. If you have shitty internet, that's more your problem than MS's.

Xbox, Show Friends - bam, friends list. Don't know, man.

Chitown B

Anybody miss voice msgs? Unless I'm dumb and can't find a way to do it

Some good stuff on updates

sometimes. but only because it was a time saver with lack of good typing mechanism (unless you had a chat pad attached) until Smart Glass came out. Now that I can type like I text on my phone, it's not as big a deal, and voice messages from my friends would just be an extra step.

SeanFloyd

Neo Member
must have voice search in YouTube..... or just a freaking chat pad peripheral... can't believe they make you search one letter at a time with something that is touted as a media overlord

Alx

Just use smartglass

I don't think the youtube app is compatible with the smartglass keyboard emulation... it was probably rushed and didn't tick all the requested boxes, I suppose/hope it will be updated.

SeanFloyd

Neo Member
I don't think the youtube app is compatible with the smartglass keyboard emulation... it was probably rushed and didn't tick all the requested boxes, I suppose/hope it will be updated.

Correct, smartglass is incompatible with Youtube at the moment. The android youtube app can be used to search on your TV but ultimately it'd be nice to not have to use multiple devices.

You can "cast" YouTube videos from your computer/tablet. Just have the YouTube app open on the console and you'll get a cast option on the video controls (I think you have to set it up first through the settings of the app of Xbox first).

That said, that horizontal keyboard needs to die in a fire.

must have voice search in YouTube..... or just a freaking chat pad peripheral... can't believe they make you search one letter at a time with something that is touted as a media overlord

It's the absolute worst thing. Seriously, who thought that was a good idea? I don't think it's even integrated into Xbox Bing, so you can't circumvent it that way.

Chitown B

they don't want you to use it. They want you to bing, voice, or smart glass. But at least it's pretty good at guessing what you're typing after like two letters.

AlexMogil

Dumb question - I got the July preview update because someone here invited me, but just now I tried launching the Dashboard Preview app and I get:

This app is for the Xbox Preview program members only.

Do I have to get invited month to month, or is this normal?

Top Bottom