• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hell on Wheels - Season 4 - Saturdays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Season 3 ended with Cullen Bohannon married to a pregnant Naomi Hatch and living in the Mormon fort where The Swede was impersonating church leader Bishop Dutson; Thomas Durant back in control of the Union Pacific Railroad, which had successfully expanded westward to Cheyenne; and Elam gravely injured by a bear while searching for the missing Cullen.

As Season 4 unfolds, civilization makes its way west with the railroad, bringing with it men who attempt to do with their pens what rougher men did in seasons past with their guns. Conflict between government and big business, ranchers, homesteaders and the railroad will continue to define the drama as all of those interests compete with one another for control of Cheyenne, Wyoming, the "Magic City of the Plains," and the most important railroad hub in the country.

The fourth season will consist of 13 one hour episodes, with the first 10 episodes running consecutively through Saturday, October 4. After a short hiatus, the first of the final three episodes will premiere on Saturday, November 8.

Cast

ncNAAL4.jpg

Anson Mount as Cullen Bohannon
Common as Elam Ferguson
Colm Meaney as Thomas Durant
Christopher Heyerdahl as The Swede
Robin McLeavy as Eva
Jennifer Ferrin as Louise Ellison
Phil Burke as Mickey McGinnes
Kasha Kropinski as Ruth
Dohn Norwood as Psalms
Chelah Horsdal as Maggie Palmer
MacKenzie Porter as Naomi Hatch/Bohannon
Tayden Marks as Ezra Dutson
Jake Weber as John Campbell

Videos

A Look at Season 4
Introducing the New Characters of 'Hell on Wheels' Season 4
Killer and a Railroad Man
Teaser: Vision
Teaser: Gates
Cheyenne Set Tour

Promo Photos

OIoq1fR.jpg

IPOeOd5.jpg

Kaq0zOL.jpg

gbThd0l.jpg

P8DiWkq.jpg

Ratings

Season 1:

Episode 1: 4.36 million 1.9 A18-49
Episode 2: 3.84 million 1.5 A18-49
Episode 3: 3.52 million 1.2 A18-49
Episode 4: 3.28 million 1.2 A18-49
Episode 5: 2.70 million 0.8 A18-49
Episode 6: 2.15 million 0.6 A18-49
Episode 7: 2.27 million 0.6 A18-49
Episode 8: 2.51 million 0.7 A18-49
Episode 9: 2.29 million 0.7 A18-49
Episode 10: 2.84 million 0.7 A18-49

Season 2:

Episode 1: 2.45 million 0.6 A18-49
Episode 2: 2.31 million 0.6 A18-49
Episode 3: 2.49 million 0.6 A18-49
Episode 4: 2.47 million 0.6 A18-49
Episode 5: 2.62 million 0.6 A18-49
Episode 6: 2.69 million 0.6 A18-49
Episode 7: 2.32 million 0.5 A18-49
Episode 8: 1.83 million 0.4 A18-49
Episodes 9 & 10: 2.18 million 0.5 A18-49

Season 3:

Episodes 1 & 2: 2.49 million 0.5 A18-49
Episode 3: 1.88 million viewers 0.5 A18-49
Episode 4: 1.99 million viewers 0.3 A18-49
Episode 5: 2.20 million viewers 0.4 A18-49
Episode 6: 2.06 million viewers 0.5 A18-49
Episode 7: 1.98 million viewers 0.4 A18-49
Episode 8: 2.07 million viewers 0.4 A18-49
Episode 9: 2.10 million viewers 0.4 A18-49
Episode10: 2.49 million viewers 0.5 A18-49

Season 4:

Episode 1: 2.42 million viewers 0.5 A18-49
Episode 2: 1.98 million viewers 0.3 A18-49
Episode 3: 2.16 million viewers 0.4 A18-49
Episode 4: 2.07 million viewers 0.4 A18-49
Episode 5: 1.77 million viewers 0.3 A18-49
Episode 6: 2.15 million viewers 0.4 A18-49
Episode 7: 2.17 million viewers 0.4 A18-49
Episode 8: 2.01 million viewers 0.3 A18-49
Episode 9: 2.30 million viewers 0.4 A18-49
Episode 10: 2.26 million viewers 0.4 A18-49
Episode 11: 1.88 million viewers 0.3 A18-49
Episode 12: 1.74 million viewers 0.3 A18-49
Episode 13: 2.17 million viewers 0.4 A18-49

AoM

Oh..

I've been seeing commercials for this and thought it was a new series. I'll have to watch the first three seasons I guess.

IronRinn

I am surprised this series is still going. Watched through season 2 and then gave up once they moved it to Saturdays.

Avinexus

Hasn't it gotten better or worse since S1? I watched the first season as it aired and was kinda "meh" on it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I am surprised this series is still going.

It's been flying under the radar since season 2, that's for sure.

Watched through season 2 and then gave up once they moved it to Saturdays.

Why'd you drop it?

Hasn't it gotten better or worse since S1? I watched the first season as it aired and was kinda "meh" on it.

Each season has been an improvement over the last, IMO. It's still not a great show but it is pretty decent, especially if you're a fan of westerns.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Just caught up on season 3. It's a solid show, nothing amazing, but I find the characters and setting enjoyable. And I feel it has gotten better as time has gone on. I'm glad it's been able to go on so long despite being rather modest in following and critical acclaim. I'm looking forward to this season.

Ohh they recast Naomi, that sucks, the other girl was crazy pretty and I liked her interactions with Cullen in the last episode a lot. Wonder why they recast.

IronRinn

Why'd you drop it?

As you said, it's not a great show. It's not a bad show, either. It has some good stuff and some not so good stuff (I really don't care for Common as an actor, for example). In other words, it's mediocre. That, combined with the fact that season 2 kind of wrapped things up in case there wasn't a third season, further exacerbated by a move to Saturdays (I'm not a super party dude or anything but if I have something going on over the weekend, it's usually on a Saturday) meant that I just kind of stopped watching. I know season 3 is on Netflix, but there are other shows I would rather get around to watching (without spending every free moment watching tv shows). I'm ambivalent about it at this point, I guess.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Why isn't Common in the poster? His character get killed off?

He got attacked by a bear at the end of last season. (season 4)
We know that he survived the attack, but AMC is being very secretive on what happened to him exactly. He is going to be in this season though.

Why isn't Common in the poster? His character get killed off?

Season 3 spoilers:
the last we saw of him he was attacked by a bear and we are meant to think he is dead. No way he's actually dead, though.

Really liked Season 3 until the last couple of episodes. It dove hard and fast into absolute shit. Such a stupid fucking finale as detailed in the OP.

99hertz

I was sure this show was over! One of my favorite shows but it's been a long time. It smells like desperation though, I don't why but I was 100% sure this was over. New season looks interesting.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
As you said, it's not a great show. It's not a bad show, either. It has some good stuff and some not so good stuff (I really don't care for Common as an actor, for example). In other words, it's mediocre. That, combined with the fact that season 2 kind of wrapped things up in case there wasn't a third season, further exacerbated by a move to Saturdays (I'm not a super party dude or anything but if I have something going on over the weekend, it's usually on a Saturday) meant that I just kind of stopped watching. I know season 3 is on Netflix, but there are other shows I would rather get around to watching (without spending every free moment watching tv shows). I'm ambivalent about it at this point, I guess.

Hm, yeah, I can see where you're coming from. One of the main reasons I watch is because of its novel premise - it's pretty much the only western (not counting modern day stuff like Justified and Longmire) on TV right now. I really like period pieces so even when the show isn't super compelling, the setting is enough to keep me watching.

It smells like desperation though

What do you mean?

I was sure this show was over! One of my favorite shows but it's been a long time. It smells like desperation though, I don't why but I was 100% sure this was over. New season looks interesting.

It has started and ended pretty much the exact same time every year since it started. Not sure what you mean by "it's been a long time."

Whoa, you're friends with one of the actors on the show? That's awesome!

Yeah, he's a good buddy of mine. We do comedy shit together all the time (Vancouver ) and he got the gig on Hell On Wheels and spent most of the summer in Alberta filming.

Another buddy of mine, Brendan Fletcher, is also on the show I believe

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Yeah, he's a good buddy of mine. We do comedy shit together all the time (Vancouver ) and he got the gig on Hell On Wheels and spent most of the summer in Alberta filming.

Another buddy of mine, Brendan Fletcher, is also on the show I believe

That's pretty crazy. Did you audition for a role on the show too?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Season premiere tonight:

The Elusive Eden

Season 4 opens with Cullen awaiting the birth of his baby while laboring under the Swede at Fort Smith. Meanwhile, Durant deals with the fallout from a railroad accident.

Pryce

Alright so in terms of AMC shows it's obviously not Mad Men tier but is it better than Halt and that American revolution show?

REV 09

I actually really like this show and am looking forward to the premier. They had a few weak characters early on, but they've been phased out. Still can't believe the shocker at the end of season 2 though.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
That took some guts, for sure. I just wish they had had the guys to kill off The Swede as well.

Yes please! This character is so fucking bad and is really starting to ruin the show for me. And now he is speaking in tongues.. god make it stop.

LowerLevel

Oh yeah! Got this and the season finale of Power to watch after the kids go down! It is kinda suspect that Common isn't in that group photo...

120v

wow this show isn't cancelled yet? and its on its fourth season?

not a knock on the show.. just thought all amc shows that weren't mad men and walking dead were doomed to one or two seasons

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Watched all 3 seasons of this on Netflix over the last couple weeks. Almost gave up on it after the end of season two, just seemed like such bad writing, none of the characters had any depth. That surprise ending happened and I just thought "oh well? will anyone care?".

Glad I stayed with it because season three was awesome from start to finish imho. I was worried the whole season would be some back and forth between Cullen and The Swede but it was not. I hope the kid ends up killing him.

The premiere last night was good imho.
have they hinted before that maybe mickey was the one who actually killed the girls back in boston? that was my vibe as he was going all weirdo on eva. and maybe he shot sean so that the truth wouldn't come out

see5harp

Okay so I watched the first season because a friend (admittedly she has poor taste) said that she loved the show. What the fuck is this? The writing and acting is so poor that Common is one of the highlights. The episode where the preacher goes completely mad on drink. Wow Hell on Wheels is hella stupid.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Thought the premiere was pretty dull.

The Swede is just way too over the top and I really don't want them to stretch out this Bohannon X Swede feud for the entire season/series. It needs to end next week before Bohannon and Naomi leave the mormon fort, because otherwise we'll probably get a side story involving the Swede and the mormons which doesn't sound very appealing to me.

Also, why the fuck did they build train tracks on a frozen lake? How does that make any sense?

just thought all amc shows that weren't mad men and walking dead were doomed to one or two seasons

Nope!

Mad Men - 7
Breaking Bad - 5
Rubicon - 1
The Walking Dead - 5 and counting
The Killing - 4 (though only 3 of those were on AMC)
Hell on Wheels - 4 and it will probably be renewed
Low Winter Sun - 1
Turn: Washington's Spies - 2 (and maybe more)
Halt and Catch Fire - 1 but it hasn't been renewed/cancelled yet

have they hinted before that maybe mickey was the one who actually killed the girls back in boston? that was my vibe as he was going all weirdo on eva. and maybe he shot sean so that the truth wouldn't come out

I think it's pretty commonly accepted that Mickey was the one who killed those girls back east.

No, I'm not really an actor per say. I'm a standup comic and I do some sketch stuff here and there. A lot of my friends are actors though

Still, you could try to get at least a walk on role! :p

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight:

Escape From the Garden

Cullen challenges the Swede while planning his exit from Fort Smith. Meanwhile, a new adversary arrives and makes his presence felt in Cheyenne.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
so glad this show is back, love it. so underated though

gahh i was hoping he would say Elam was his friend

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I feel like The Swede's whole arc these past two seasons has ended up amounting to squat. He spent the entirety of the third season wandering to and fro with the Mormon bishop and his family -> takes the identity of said Bishop -> lives amongst the Mormons at their fort for a while -> does a few vaguely sinister things -> Bohannon unmasks him - > ???

His motivations throughout this whole thing have been so opaque. I have no idea who he really is anymore or what he's trying to achieve.

He needs to be killed off the show asap.

I feel like The Swede's whole arc these past two seasons has ended up amounting to squat. He spent the entirety of the third season wandering to and fro with the Mormon bishop and his family -> takes the identity of said Bishop -> lives amongst the Mormons at their fort for a while -> does a few vaguely sinister things -> Bohannon unmasks him - > ???

His motivations throughout this whole thing have been so opaque. I have no idea who he really is anymore or what he's trying to achieve.

He needs to be killed off the show asap.

Well, if it isn't another member of Clone Club! :p Great work on the OT. Never knew there was a following for this show around here. I agree, wholehertedly, with your take on The Swede. We'll see where it goes, but I'm sure he will be killed off sooner rather than later - he almost has to be so that the show can move forward. Anyways, I will post here after each airing; Hell on Wheels is a pretty fun show to follow!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight:

Chicken Hill

Cullen goes back to work on the railroad and butts heads with his new boss. Meanwhile, Durant and Campbell clash over a valuable piece of real estate.

Well, if it isn't another member of Clone Club! :p Great work on the OT. Never knew there was a following for this show around here. I agree, wholehertedly, with your take on The Swede. We'll see where it goes, but I'm sure he will be killed off sooner rather than later - he almost has to be so that the show can move forward. Anyways, I will post here after each airing; Hell on Wheels is a pretty fun show to follow!

Clone Club! <3

I hope he's killed off tonight. I have no idea how he can be a part of the show moving forward.

The Swede has got to go. The show's been spinning it's wheels with that for 2 years now. Bohannon's being wasted on that dumb character instead of being a badass heading up the railroad and getting stuff done.

Vert boil

Pfft, there's absolutely no chance of them killing him off. He's either going to escape the Mormons and they'll let him go then he'll team up with Bohannon to find Elam. Then it will be peaceful
(for a season until he's the big bad again.) BELIEVE SINNERS!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
That was the best episode of the season so far. The show feels so much more cohesive when Bohannon is working on/with the railroad and The Swede is nowhere to be found (at this point it's clear that they're not going to kill him off without at least one final arc, so hopefully they can get that out of the way sooner rather than later).

I do wonder what happened to Common though.

Also, according to the newspaper woman, the current season is set in 1868 and, historically, the First Transcontinental Railroad was finished in 1869, so they only have about a year left in "in show" time to get the railroad built. Due to the rapidly shrinking time frame, I wonder if next season will be the last?

B3N1

Wow, just found this thread, it's pretty dead around here :(.

Still can't believe the shocker at the end of season 2 though.

That one hit me more than some Game of Thrones twists.

I do wonder what happened to Common though.

I have a feeling that he's going to come back some way, if not, that was the worst death I've seen on TV.

Also, according to the newspaper woman, the current season is set in 1868 and, historically, the First Transcontinental Railroad was finished in 1869, so they only have about a year left in "in show" time to get the railroad built. Due to the rapidly shrinking time frame, I wonder if next season will be the last?

I guess if ratings are good, time frame won't stop the series.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I have a feeling that he's going to come back some way, if not, that was the worst death I've seen on TV.

(future spoiler)
He is coming back, but apparently not until later in the season.

I guess if ratings are good, time frame won't stop the series.

Sure, but AMC would have to renew everyone's contracts after next year and that would make the show even more expensive that it already is. The show is a moderate hit but I don't think it's something that'll be on the air for 6+ seasons.

There's also something to be said for a series that knows when to stop and I think next season would be a good place to end things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom