• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| AUGUST 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divius

ibeUlaceVOhFaV.gif

The Congress (Ari Folman)

It's August. You watch movies. Post your opinions about them & discuss in here.

DO NOT just post the title of the movie you watched. It isn't conducive at all to the kind of discussion & communication we want to engender here, because it tells us nothing of you, the movie, the impact of the latter on the former. Post scores, descriptions, essays, poems, gifs, hashtags, whatever provides you the best outlet for personal expression, you unique little digital snowflake. - icarus-daedelus

--

guardians_header-620x376.png

NOT SURE WHAT TO WATCH IN THEATERS THIS MONTH? Expendable has got you covered right here > 10 Films to See In August!

--

NeoGAF ICM group: http://www.icheckmovies.com/groups/neogaf/

Thread users on various movie rating sites because they're too cool for imdb: Google doc

If there are people who haven't been added to this and want to be, send me a PM or forever hold your peace.

--

aYBlRhT.gif

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Hey, Borgnine here, been lurking gaf for a few weeks, can I get my letterboxd added to the op.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
This is on my queue (non-theatrical) for the month of August (so many long films):
Singapore Sling, The Day the Pig Fell into the Well (along with some more Hong Songsoo so I can finish his filmography), Panelstory, Celine and Julie Go Boating, As I Was Moving Ahead I Saw Brief Glimpses of Her Beauty, Brighter Summer Day, Diabel, Heat, Trash, If Footman Tire You What Will Horses Do, Final Flesh, The Left Handed Woman, Deep End (1970), Medium Cool, Melvin Goes to Dinner, and J'Taime J'Taime. Will probably watch 3 of those and just watch garbage for the rest of the month.

Keys of the Kingdom (1944): As a viewer I was really impressed with the portrayal of the Chinese villagers and nuance to their characters, even by today's Hollywood standards where we're still casting white people as Egyptian pharoahs. As an actor I was really impressed and even bewildered as to how Gregory Peck got such a meaty role so early in his career. It does get a little long in the tooth toward the end, but otherwise a really impressive flick from the classic Hollywood era.

Ridley327

I feel confident in saying that Captain America: The Winter Soldier is still my favorite of the Marvel Studios films, but I'll be goddamned if Guardians of the Galaxy doesn't do everything in its power to sway me away from that decision.

AnkitT

Welp, back in india after a year in the uk, no more netflix, no more indie releases and no more film festival previews and shit. :( Back to the horrible censor scene cuts, no smoking text every time a character partakes in any sort of substance abuse and blurred cleavage(this one is a recent hilarious phenomenon). Guess its time to catch up on old blu rays and dvds.

Oh yay, Norte The End of History finally has reasonable times to go see it. Before it was 7pm last week so if I went to see it in central London, I'd only have one train time (11:30pm) chance to get back home.

Today until 6th August, it'll be more reasonable times in the afternoon. Like today, Friday, it's 1pm. Then Saturday is Guardians of the Galaxy BFI IMAX.

1st August - 7th August = Hide Your Smiling Faces
HYSF%20web.jpg

(what is it with these limited as fuck 1 week type deals?! Why wouldn't a normal person just wait for the DVD?)

Hopefully, good times. (cool to see Congress be in OP :D)

The Congress sucks!

I unironically agree. Especially the live action parts. And the plot.

Watched Our Hospitality , I didn't really enjoy it all that much, feels like a weaker entry in the Buster Keaton catalogue.

Also Sling Blade... well it's a good thing Billy Bob Thornton never went full retard. Would have made a great TV movie if it had been somewhat shorter.

The higlight of the week was when the mailman dropped this off though

9TqV2MP.jpg

Only ever watched L'eden et après out of this selection, I'm in for quite the ride if the booklet is anything to go by.

Just saw Two Lovers in anticipation of watching James Gray's The Immigrant. Really liked it, a bit of a slow burner with Joaquin Phoenix and Gwyneth Paltrow
's left tit
. Phoenix has been on a tear; he's becoming one of my favorite actors.

UrbanRats

I haven't gotten around to his more recent films but I've never found his storytelling all that compelling.
I'm gonna watch 5 centimeters per second next but, now, with the right expectations going in.
I wanted to see them mainly for their visual component anyway (research and such) so it's alright.

Biochet

Ghost rider.

I cannot believe they made a sequel to this shit, and nicholas actually agreed to play the part a second time wtf.

Ghost rider.

I cannot believe they made a sequel to this shit, and nicholas actually agreed to play the part a second time wtf.

I actually had fun watching the second one, it's even more ridiculous but it seems they were aware of that fact. Get high first.

About to watch Captain murica the winter soldier, feeling it could go either way.
That I still haven't been able to see Boyhood is slowly killing me.

I'm gonna watch 5 centimeters per second next but, now, with the right expectations going in.
I wanted to see them mainly for their visual component anyway (research and such) so it's alright.

It certainly was pretty and I kept me interested enough so eh

Blader

5cm is very uneven. The first segment is good, but slow. Second segment is boring as all hell. Third segment has some nice ideas but blows through them in like 5 minutes.

I think Shinkai peaked with Voices of a Distant Star.

Here's my top 5 first views in July:

5) Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters
4) Band of Outsiders
3) Eyes Without a Face
2) The Vanishing
1) The Decalogue (which I actually started over a year ago, and finally finished up)

Here's to a good August. Thanks for the inclusion in the OP!

UrbanRats

5cm is very uneven. The first segment is good, but slow. Second segment is boring as all hell. Third segment has some nice ideas but blows through them in like 5 minutes.

I think Shinkai peaked with Voices of a Distant Star.

Google Imaged that, but the character design looks horrible.
I don't if i can endure an annoying cringeworthy story that also looks bad.

Apdiddy

Guardians of the Galaxy - Like most other Marvel movies, it's a 'turn your brain off action movie' but this is probably as much fun as the first two Raimi Spider-Mans or Iron Man. It looks like a mixture of The Fifth Element and Star Wars.
And judging by the last scene, please please make a good Howard The Duck movie.

Nuke Soda

Guardians of the Galaxy- Well that was amazing. I had a ton of fun sitting in the theater watching this movie do its thing. Probably the best Marvel movie I've seen. Probably the only complaint I have is that the villain wasn't given all the much character or motivation building, he was just a guy who wanted to blow up a planet because of reasons. This movie exceeded my expectations. I wanted a fun space adventure flick and it was that and then some. Couldn't recommend it more.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Ghost rider.

agreed, such a shit movie really puts a mark on his curriculum

just saw Heat for the trillionth time. Probably the best American movie in recent years. It's just mindblowingly good

UrbanRats

Only Yesterday - Definitely one of Ghibli's best ones.
Pretty funny as well as heartwarming.
As a grounded animated movie, it felt directed at a more mature audience than other Ghibli stuff (surely more than Poppy Hill).

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Watched Deep End (1970) earlier and it feels like a godfather to Rushmore but with its whimsy dialed back to realistic levels and was like a step ahead of Harold and Maude by a year. Good shit. Started Singapore Sling but didn't have caffeine for the day so I had to take a nap. For whatever reason I thought it was a horror film not some avant-comedy but I can get behind that, you know.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Re-watched Shame the other day. It's still a incredible movie. That is all.

Its funny cuz the first time I saw Heat I didnt really like it

then I watched it again years later and I was like, "Wait a minute...this is one of the greatest American films of the last 25 years! WTF was wrong with younger me..."

UrbanRats

Its funny cuz the first time I saw Heat I didnt really like it

Same.
My father loved it, so maybe that's why i didn't like it when i watched it as a kid.
You'd think a little kid would love all the shooting, but maybe there's too much talking to keep the interest of an 8 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom